Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's what I meant.  The G3 sights are perfectly acceptable, much like those on an A1, but the M1 set the standard for iron sights and is still the yardstick everything else is measured by.

View Quote

Quoted for TRUTH
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The Garand is less than 3 inches longer than the G3, so it's not a HUGE difference.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

G3 bitches mainly because it's not so damn long plus box mags. I also really like HK drum sights

The Garand is less than 3 inches longer than the G3, so it's not a HUGE difference.

Three inches in length is only an advantage in bayonet thrusts and dicks.  I'll take the slightly shorter rifle.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The only complaint I have about my PTR91 w/rail is no bolt hold back. The iron sights are fine but I just mounted a scope so no problem targeting. At 6'3" & 200 lbs I have no problem with the ergos. No problem taking it in harms way. 20 rounds of 308 beats 8 of 30-06.

ETA - It came with a great trigger, smooth and just right for a battle rifle.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Garand<G3<AR-10

In terms of utility.

I love the Garand but it's finicky nature and lack of detachable box mags and other modern ergonomics kills it for me as a battlefield implement.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I love the Garand but it's finicky nature ......
View Quote

WHAT finicky nature?  The need to limit the rifle to M2 ball ammo?

In a SHTF scenario, it's not like you are going to roam the countryside, scavenging large quantities of .30/06 OR .308 to feed your SHTF rifle. You will shoot the ammo you have stored up.

And one thing no one has talked about---the best of both worlds---a Garand chambered for .308!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both a Garand and a Cetme (the design that the G3 was copied from).  The Garand is immensely strong, well designed, and reliable to the point of being supernatural.  I love my Cetme but it has a lot of design flaws, one of them being the magazine release button being too far forward to be reached with the index finger..  Another being the charger handle being on the LEFT of the rifle, forcing you to either cock the rifle with your weak hand or rotate the rifle to access with your right hand.  Plus, there's no hold open feature after the last round, so the rifle becoming empty is usually a surprise.  All of these serve to slow the battle usage of the rifle.  Plus, it's annoying as fuck to take apart for cleaning; you have to pop out those two pins and then put them in the holes on the stock so they won't get lost.  With the Garand you just swivel the trigger guard down.

The only real benefit is the higher ammo capacity, but the Garand can be reloaded much quicker than the G3 so the advantage isn't really there.  The 30-06 is comparable in performance with .308 so the G3 doesn't even have any power advantage.  There may be some differences in weight, btutto people who actually carried them through the woods they are both frigging heavy.

The main advantage of the M1 is the range of ammo available for it.  There are still crates of armor piercing stuff out there that was designed to destroy German half tracks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Paper stamp was finally approved on 05/14/2015 after sending it in on 01/13/2015. Had one error that took an extra week but it's all good now.

And already added a Trijicon front sight.

so you know what I'm choosing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Both are fine firearms and perfectly adequate.  I just may have one of each (Grand / 91) and if the SHTF I would grab the 91.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I agree - and that's why I listed "weight" as one of the cons of the Garand.

I only mentioned it because once I looked it up (a few minutes ago), I was actually surprised that it wasn't far heavier.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1/2 lb more ammo, food, optics matters.  Even if I don't carry 1/2 lb more of stuff, that means I'm lighter and can move farther (and mebbe faster).

I only mentioned it because once I looked it up (a few minutes ago), I was actually surprised that it wasn't far heavier.  
I wonder if difference between magazines versus enbloc clips even the scales. Sure, an aluminum G3 mag isn't super heavy but every ounce counts. What about steel G3 mags?

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Ill take the m1

Find a guy with an ar and trade or "take" depending on the circumstances
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
G3. Detachable magazines, more accurate, more common ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
G3.  I own a PTR-91 and a garand.  I want to say garand, but you have to be careful with what ammo you run in a garand or you can break an op rod; taking the gun out of the fight.  G3 while chambered for 7.62x51 nato, to my knowledge has no ammo restrictions for current .308 loadings.  So for SHTF the ability to use any scavenged .308 rounds is a plus.  

Any other scenario where I'm not scavenging ammo, Garand.  Better rifle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Another thing that is quite easy with a Garand (at least back in the days of webbing), is to stick the clips on your straps (i.e. with a row of 4 rounds on either side).  They'd actually grip on pretty well, and so as long as you weren't doing a gymnastic floor routine or low crawling , they'd stay put - and that would obviously be a VERY quick way to access ammo in a fight.  Certainly a bit faster than trying to pull a magazine out of a traditional (plastic) G3 magazine pouch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I voted G3 just because of the increased ammo capacity.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_08_2012/post-5-1345934799.jpg

https://m1pencil.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/2b2.jpg?w=584

A WWI Grenade Vest does the job very well.

Another thing that is quite easy with a Garand (at least back in the days of webbing), is to stick the clips on your straps (i.e. with a row of 4 rounds on either side).  They'd actually grip on pretty well, and so as long as you weren't doing a gymnastic floor routine or low crawling , they'd stay put - and that would obviously be a VERY quick way to access ammo in a fight.  Certainly a bit faster than trying to pull a magazine out of a traditional (plastic) G3 magazine pouch.

Not just that but the ability to load a M1 Garand if far easier in my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Shuff's tanker is the correct answer

At the end of the day the G3 is a heavy stamped sheet metal rifle, it kinda lost it's coolness once I got to handle one and break it down. But it doesn't point or handle as well as the garand.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Cetme

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Paper stamp was finally approved on 05/14/2015 after sending it in on 01/13/2015. Had one error that took an extra week but it's all good now.
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/IMG_13201_zps5nmd1azd.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/IMG_13211_zpsivzu5wkc.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/IMG_13221_zps76iw5vzd.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/IMG_13231_zpsknyalzdr.jpg

View Quote

Ok that's cool
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Finally, an unbiased opinion!!!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G3:  Heavy, wretched trigger.
Garand:  Smooth crisp trigger

G3.  No bolt hold open
Garand:  Bolt hold open.

G3.  violent ejection.
Garand:  Smooth ejection.

G3.  drum aperture sight
Garand:  Best aperture sight ever on a battle rifle.

The only advantage that the G3 has is higher capacity.  But then again, a Garand can be reloaded faster.

Finally, an unbiased opinion!!!  

G3: Detachable box magazines
Garand: Load from clips

G3: Pistol Grip
Garand: Monte Carlo style stock

G3: Able to run the full gamut of available ammunition in it's designation (.308win/7.62x51mm)
Garand: Finicky bitch, incapable of running full power loads, eliminating the marginal advantage of .30-06 over .308win.

The Garand was the greatest battle implement ever devised, in it's time.

It's time has passed.

ETA: The G3 (indeed all full power battle rifles) was obsolete at the time of it's adoption but, that is a separate issue.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

In a SHTF scenario, it's not like you are going to roam the countryside, scavenging large quantities of .30/06 OR .308 to feed your SHTF rifle. You will shoot the ammo you have stored up.

And one thing no one has talked about---the best of both worlds---a Garand chambered for .308!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also M1 Garands can have an adjustable gas plug installed so you can run any .30-06 load in it. Mine have them installed.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I love my m1, but the enbloc that goes flying who knows where when it's empty is a huge weakness if I am not getting them through a supply train. I suppose some soldiers kept a few when they could find them but chasing one around n an active gunfight scenario would seem foolish.

a G3 I can take the mag out and put it in a dump pouch and use it again or top it up easily if I have a limited supply of mags.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a PTR 91. I would choose it over the garand any day. Mostly because its easier to reload and holds more ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/IMG_13201_zps5nmd1azd.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/IMG_13211_zpsivzu5wkc.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/IMG_13221_zps76iw5vzd.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/IMG_13231_zpsknyalzdr.jpg

View Quote
What an ugly way to turn money into bright noise.

The .308 out of such a short barrel is a waste of energy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
More common ammo?

.30-06 is the most commom cartridge out in the US. I can find it everywhere. With an adjustable gas plug. The Garand can eat it all.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Also M1 Garands can have an adjustable gas plug installed so you can run any .30-06 load in it. Mine have them installed.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii134/desertford/get_fce9d8_832636.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii134/desertford/get_fce9d8_832636.jpg

Someone should photoshop that pic to show Clint wielding a modern style AR-10.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Too easy for me; G3 has a detachable magazine, a better safety, I like the sights more, the ability to have a collapsible stock is great, easier to mount optics, easier to break down, etc..

I believe the Garand was a great rifle for its time, but things have modernized since then. Having shot a Garand, I wasn't fond of the safety, and while the En Bloc clips are pretty neat, they were a pain in the ass when I didn't have enough rounds to fully load one. Otherwise, it was a nice shooting rifle, and easy to shoot rapidly; I certainly wouldn't feel under-gunned too much.

Edit: Another poster also brought up the clips getting ejected. Definitely and issue since an empty magazine can be stowed easily, while the en bloc just gets thrown out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The G3 sights are actually quite good - but the huge problem is that you cannot adjust them (for windage or for zero or different ammo), without a special tool and/or screwdriver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sights on the Garand can't be beat, but the G3's are not bad.  It's got a long ass stock though that is really designed for 6' tall uber-men.

The G3 sights are actually quite good - but the huge problem is that you cannot adjust them (for windage or for zero or different ammo), without a special tool and/or screwdriver.

Dont buy the special too shear junk. Pick up used forceps and it works better than the tool
to adjust elevation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you mean "More common ammunition"?  In a SHTF situation arises don't expect anyone (particularly the military) to be giving you any ammo regardless of how common it is.  Whatever you'll be bringing to SHTF is what you'll be relying on.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
More common ammo?  

.30-06 is the most commom cartridge out in the US. I can find it everywhere. With an adjustable gas plug. The Garand can eat it all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More common ammo?  

This would change my answer to garand.  I was under the impression we were voting on "stock" rifles.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This issue of the G3 magazines is something I didn't even mention in my list of "cons" - but the typical aluminum magazine is garbage.  Dropping it can ruin it, and stepping on one will certainly destroy it.

If I had to use a G3 for my personal use (possibly in an emergency), I would absolutely want the heavier steel mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1/2 lb more ammo, food, optics matters.  Even if I don't carry 1/2 lb more of stuff, that means I'm lighter and can move farther (and mebbe faster).

I wonder if difference between magazines versus enbloc clips even the scales. Sure, an aluminum G3 mag isn't super heavy but every ounce counts. What about steel G3 mags?  

This issue of the G3 magazines is something I didn't even mention in my list of "cons" - but the typical aluminum magazine is garbage.  Dropping it can ruin it, and stepping on one will certainly destroy it.

If I had to use a G3 for my personal use (possibly in an emergency), I would absolutely want the heavier steel mags.
The quality of fhe G3/HK33 Aluminum mags seemed like paper compared to a M16 Aluminum mag. I mean super cheap feel.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I've had both (well, the HK91 in place of the G3) and liked each of them very much in their own ways.

Which one do I still have?

The Garand.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#39]
G3, because optics.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Most of the comments and preferences here have a couple of common foundations:

1.   the respondent has assumed a certain scenario for SHTF.  They assume such things as "I will scavenge ammo off the countryside" or "I will be in big protracted firefights needing lots of ammo quickly available" or other such fundamentals.   None of the assumptions are likely to be true.

2.  the respondent has chosen his preferred rifle based on limited experience with one or both of the arms in question.  Those who love Garands cite all the shortcomings of the G3, and vice versa.    Unless a person has lots of experience with both, he will always choose the one he knows best.

Having owned and shot BOTH personally, I will state that the Garand is a more "user friendly" rifle than the G3.  It also has the obvious limited magazine capacity, but a skilled Garand operator can keep up on reloads with a skilled G3 operator, if not beat him.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Another thing I just thought about is nighttime.  G3 is equipped with a flash hider.  M1 is not.  The G3 was also issued with a decent nightvision scope.  The Zeiss Orion 80/I (Fero Z51) night vision scope.  I have one, and while it is a bit heavy it is usable.  Need to find a lower mounting solution and get a magpul prs stock with a cheek riser since the current claw mount puts the optic chin weld high.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Most of the comments and preferences here have a couple of common foundations:

1.   the respondent has assumed a certain scenario for SHTF.  They assume such things as "I will scavenge ammo off the countryside" or "I will be in big protracted firefights needing lots of ammo quickly available" or other such fundamentals.   None of the assumptions are likely to be true.

2.  the respondent has chosen his preferred rifle based on limited experience with one or both of the arms in question.  Those who love Garands cite all the shortcomings of the G3, and vice versa.    Unless a person has lots of experience with both, he will always choose the one he knows best.

Having owned and shot BOTH personally, I will state that the Garand is a more "user friendly" rifle than the G3.  It also has the obvious limited magazine capacity, but a skilled Garand operator can keep up on reloads with a skilled G3 operator, if not beat him.
View Quote
Hence why my vote went Garand.

I've been with them all enough times to know that the M1 is better.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Partial to the Garand.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if you want to limit yourself to m2 ball ammo that's your choice. However, I liked shooting 115gr bullets out of my cetme at 3200fps.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#46]
This one has an easy answer. The G3 of course.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Another thing I just thought about is nighttime.  G3 is equipped with a flash hider.  M1 is not. The G3 was also issued with a decent nightvision scope.  The Zeiss Orion 80/I (Fero Z51) night vision scope.  I have one, and while it is a bit heavy it is usable.  Need to find a lower mounting solution and get a magpul prs stock with a cheek riser since the current claw mount puts the optic chin weld high.
View Quote

There's an app for that
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Garand Hands down.

I shot an HK 91 for the first time Last Sunday and holy cow that thing beat me up! One of theist uncomfortable guns I've ever shot. The stock beat me in the cheek and I just couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it and still line up the sights.

And this coming from a guy who just shot 62 rd match with a Swiss 96/11 in a tee shirt and BDU blouse. And don't think M44s kick all that bad.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Another thing I just thought about is nighttime.  G3 is equipped with a flash hider.  M1 is not. The G3 was also issued with a decent nightvision scope.  The Zeiss Orion 80/I (Fero Z51) night vision scope.  I have one, and while it is a bit heavy it is usable.  Need to find a lower mounting solution and get a magpul prs stock with a cheek riser since the current claw mount puts the optic chin weld high.

There's an app for that

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/P1030231_zpsgt95sslt.jpg

Flash Hider
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top