Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they are suprisingly good escape artists
when I was in college the science classes where on the second floor
and they had a giant tank with a crawfish in it
crawfish managed to redirect the filtration discharge and pumped that entire tank on the floor

first time I have ever seen water running out of light fixtures
easily 10k worth of damage to the ceiling of the first floor
View Quote

yup, they are sneaky imps and if your aquarium top has any escape openings, these monkeys will bolt.

We run a Crayfish Rescue Mission here in south central MO and we found out the hard way to block all escapes.  One guy made his way out, fell to the floor, and waltzed downstairs into our basement bathroom.  Found him dry unfortunately.

Also, more that one they usually fight.  Of course it could be making love too.  We have a small one that hides in the filter system and makes guest appearances now and then.  Last week she shows up and the bigger guy pins her down.  I mistook it as assault/battery and got some chop sticks to break it up.  Turns out they were mating.  Be interesting to see if we get eggs.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Guess it's no differnt from a turttle?
View Quote

need a big tank for a turtle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not sure if it's the stress from harvest, but the suckers you buy for food will be dead in 3-4 days if they're not cooked.
View Quote

Yeah, I was kinda worried about that. We'll see. These came out of the water last night and got on an airplane from LA to KY. They weren't in water as I thought. Don't know why I thought that.

Anyway, I got a bucket of water from the Ohio. Who knows maybe he'll live. He was the most active one in the bag. He's sitting in a bucket of river water and has a piece of meat to chomp on if he's hungry. If he dies  then I'll just replace him with one from Petco or whatever.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, and a coworker said they can't survive strictly under water. I call shenanigans.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oh, and a coworker said they can't survive strictly under water. I call shenanigans.
View Quote

my blue ones lived underwater for 4 years. don't know if they are that much different than the common ones.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used to always keep a couple in my tanks.
Just have fish bigger than them and you won't have to worry about losing any.

They eat anything really.  Feeder fish, fish food that sank to the bottom. Frozen brine shrimp, etc

Just make sure the tank is covered because they will eventually jump out and crawl 1/2 way around your house and then die
View Quote

They are easy to keep. Feed them anything that sinks and cover the top. They will get out. Mine never bothered any of my fish. Give them something to hide under.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a few years ago. I caught them from a creek, and put them in with my catfish. The catfish ate the tiny ones, but the big one lived until I got rid of the tank. They're kind of cool to watch, I wouldn't mind having more.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your coworker is wrong on every sense of the word.

They "can survive out of water" for some time, they are still very much an aquatic (read underwater) species.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They "can survive out of water" for some time, they are still very much an aquatic (read underwater) species.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are mudbugs of the truest sense. The crayfish I had as a boy was one I snagged out of a ditch in NC while on vacation.  

When he said that I was like . I'm thinking, it's a freaking mini lobster, it has gills. To clarify his statement he said they had to have mud to live in. But yeah, they have gills in a sense, I was pretty sure they did live just fine submerged, mud or no mud.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This isn't the link I was looking for but it's similar. Skip to 4:00 if you are a TL;DW type and you cat loves you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To me a pet is something that will display affection back to you.  To me fish/lizzards/etc are just stuff you have to take care of.  IMHO

Get a Saltwater tank there are some really cool Shrimps and Crabs you can get for those.

Amen! As a lifelong animal-lover and caretaker of various lifeforms... I just don't have the energy to keep a bunch of crap alive anymore that doesn't care whether I live or die. I just stick to my lap cat (she cares) and our two dogs now.

My youngest son won a goldfish at the carnival recently and asked me "Dad, can I keep it at your house?". NOPE!!! Because that means that I will be doing all of the caring for it from now on. The last pair of goldfish that my kids brought home, I ended-up taking care of for SIX years. I've warned my kids about bringing new "pets" home since then. Being a slave to kids and dogs is plenty! I'm content to leave wild animals in the wild where they belong these days.

This isn't the link I was looking for but it's similar. Skip to 4:00 if you are a TL;DW type and you cat loves you.

Meh that's BS.  Only people who don't like cats believe that crap.  If you had ever had a close relationship with a cat there would be no doubt in your mind it loved you back.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Here, try this pet on for size.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Crayfish = Food = Yes.

Pet = No

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#13]
If I can't put a leash on it and take it along for a walk or for a ride to the store, or if it doesn't let me know when something is going on outside that I need to know about, I'm not interested.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I tried numerous times when I was about 10. Tried everything I could think of then to keep them alive—bubblers, no butler but daily water changes, etc.—but could never keep them alive long. YMMV.
View Quote
Mine died too.  A lot of them got eaten by racoons despite us making little rock piles for the things to hide under.

We fed them regular fish flake food which they did eat, but not sure if it was enough.

Though, now that I think of it, we did use water from the hose to keep the pool full, which is going to be chlorinated.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
All that study proves is the stupid ass researchers don't know anything about cats.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I can't put a leash on it and take it along for a walk or for a ride to the store, or if it doesn't let me know when something is going on outside that I need to know about, I'm not interested.
View Quote

i could put my snapping turtle on a leash and take her for a walk, but shed try to kill and eat anyone that walked by
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here, try this pet on for size.

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/user/Weatherholt/media/ours295.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/Weatherholt/ours295.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pond water is the answer. Go get a bucket of murky pond water and a bubbler to airate the water. Creek rocks for the bottom of the tank.

They wont make it in clean water.

you want to make it as much like creek water as posible.

when I was a kid, I kept all kinds of wild aquatic animals. They all did best in pond water.

I loved watching the insects and other critters.
View Quote

This is what I did when I had tadpoles. They were already used to that water, added a small filter and bubbler and ended up with frogs and a salamander.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Until you have felt the love and affection of a crayfish, you haven't lived.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

yup, they are sneaky imps and if your aquarium top has any escape openings, these monkeys will bolt.

We run a Crayfish Rescue Mission here in south central MO and we found out the hard way to block all escapes.  One guy made his way out, fell to the floor, and waltzed downstairs into our basement bathroom.  Found him dry unfortunately.

Also, more that one they usually fight.  Of course it could be making love too.  We have a small one that hides in the filter system and makes guest appearances now and then.  Last week she shows up and the bigger guy pins her down.  I mistook it as assault/battery and got some chop sticks to break it up.  Turns out they were mating.  Be interesting to see if we get eggs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
crawfish managed to redirect the filtration discharge and pumped that entire tank on the floor

Really?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to keep them in a 20. They will kill each other whoever molts first dies. You will end up with one. Put pregnant guppies in there and the cray will feed itself.
they also eat fish food,I  made an aluminum rod with a slot on the end to feed them
tap water will make them turn interesting colors as they molt, ones have turned red or blue  they came from the store a boring olive drab color.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I had one in a 100 gallon aquarium with a pack of piranhas it lived for approx a year.

- Clint
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I used to keep them in a 20. They will kill each other whoever molts first dies. You will end up with one. Put pregnant guppies in there and the cray will feed itself.

they also eat fish food,I  made an aluminum rod with a slot on the end to feed them

tap water will make them turn interesting colors as they molt, ones have turned red or blue  they came from the store a boring olive drab color.

View Quote
I like the color of this one. He's dark green/blackish red. All the high points on the exoskeleton are bright red.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#24]
never considered keeping a crawdad as a pet.

always ate them or used them for bait.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I tried numerous times when I was about 10. Tried everything I could think of then to keep them alive—bubblers, no butler but daily water changes, etc.—but could never keep them alive long. YMMV.
View Quote

That's because you drowned them. Crawfish need to be able to get out of the water. There's a reason their nests are holes in the DRY ground near the water.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Mr Pinchy!

Start clarifying butter now...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I kept two in my aquarium when I was young. One of the little bastards somehow escaped (I think he climbed the airline). Step-mom saw the wee feller trucking full speed across the dining room floor and it scared her to death. Dad said to lose the crawdads...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Kids had one as a pet many years back! Lots of info on the interwebz about care, feeding, etc...

The crawdad never left the tank, and ended up being pregnant! Hundreds o babies hatched and clung under the tail. Unfortunately they were all sucked down the filter, or eaten by other fish.

The mother lived about a year or so! One day we came home and saw a little lobster tail floating in the tank. Apparently it died and the other fish picked it apart!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I had one in 5th grade, even entered it in the school pet show. I didn't win most original pet. Fuck them. Anyway, it was cool and easy to take care of. Giant salamanders are also cool.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's because you drowned them. Crawfish need to be able to get out of the water. There's a reason their nests are holes in the DRY ground near the water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how did mine live for years under water?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I was a little kid, I used to go to the lake and catch crawdads for my dad and uncle to eat (I never liked them).

The bait that worked best was a piece of raw bacon. I learned this from the other 20 guys out there catching crayfish... who were all using bacon as bait.

Don'y know why, but it worked.

View Quote

Bacon works well for most fish in my experience. I think it has to do with the grease carrying farther in the water for them to catch a scent.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck those things.  Or maybe I should chalk it up to my own ignorance?  I had a nice little classroom aquarium going; fish, plants, snails.  Then, at the pet store, I spied some crayfish and thought, "that might be interesting for the kids to see."

On Monday morning everything in the tank, except the crayfish, was dead.  I thought they were bottom-feeding scavengers.  I had no idea they would swim after live fish or eat plants and snails.  The tank was a wasteland.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Aren't they brackish water creatures? Fresh water would kill them

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

No I used to catch them as a kid in little streams in riverside that was most definitely not brackish water, I've also seen them in the new and James river in VA both fresh water. They don't need salt water.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Fuck those things.  Or maybe I should chalk it up to my own ignorance?  I had a nice little classroom aquarium going; fish, plants, snails.  Then, at the pet store, I spied some crayfish and thought, "that might be interesting for the kids to see."

On Monday morning everything in the tank, except the crayfish, was dead.  I thought they were bottom-feeding scavengers.  I had no idea they would swim after live fish or eat plants and snails.  The tank was a wasteland.
View Quote
Lol, crayfish be cray

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember having them in class one year at elementary school but I've never had one as a pet.

I've lived in my house since 1993 and back in the late 1990's I remember the creek across the street getting the highest I've ever seen it after some heavy rains.  There is a clay tile drain with no trap that goes from my basement floor to the ditch in front of my house shown in red.  There is also a larger culvert from that ditch going to the creek shown in orange.  My house wasn't built yesterday and my basement had water that year due to the high water table.  I didn't have water back up into my basement when the creek flooded, but I had 13 baby crawdads about an inch long in my basement the morning after the creek flooded.  Those little dudes traveled all that way trying to find refuge in the mini flood.  I gathered them up and returned them to the creek.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#36]
When my daughter was growing up she had a couple bluegill, crawdads, etc. in her aquarium. I went to add another crawdad one day. As it fell to the bottom the bluegill literally inhaled the thing. I was thinking WTF? This crawdad was almost 1/3 the size of the fish and it ate it like you pop a potato chip into your mouth. No point really just kind of interesting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Great thread.  Just decommissioned my kids' tank their aunt had given them with some "glow" fish.  BORING.

Now I'm considering setting it up again with some natural, local creatures.

ETA: I can either search the creeks and find a crayfish, or just give in and buy a "blue lobster" from the pet shop.  Hmm...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

Yeah they just need enough dissolved oxygen in the water just like most fish. Plus tap water usually has chlorine in it how would you like to breath that? Id say between both of those that covers alot of the oh noes they can't live in water bs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes they are.
40 or so years ago had a 25 gal. tank with several in there.
One night I was awakened by a 'click-click-click' sound across my floor.
The crabs climbed out via the air line tube.
Was weird seeing a line of large crabs crawling on the floor, glad they did not get into my bed.
They lived 3 years +-. Give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I put him in a 3/gal bucket with some water from the Ohio in it. It was all I had. He's been in there since about 1. I just got home from getting supplies. He's acting pretty sluggish. I poured a gallon of treated tap water in there. I went back 15 minutes later and he's fiesty again. I guess he was low on o2. I'll go set up the tank right meow
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#42]
When I was a kid, I had 3 different aquariums in my room. We were really poor, so they were mismatched junk from garage sales and Goodwill. I caught most of my fish from local pond, creeks and the San Gabriel River.
I would use the soil or gravel from the river, along with native plants. Naturally I had a few crawdads. They were really fun to watch and lived for quite a while.
I suggest building a native habitat like that for yours.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Negative. Where I come from, they live in the water. I never have seen one on land that I didn't first pull out from under a rock and toss on land. Never. These were Wisconsin crayfish from a cold, fast-flowing stream with no nearby mud.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yours was one of those Zombie crayfish that don't live in mud nests on dry land.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

When I was a kid, I had 3 different aquariums in my room. We were really poor, so they were mismatched junk from garage sales and Goodwill. I caught most of my fish from local pond, creeks and the San Gabriel River.

I would use the soil or gravel from the river, along with native plants. Naturally I had a few crawdads. They were really fun to watch and lived for quite a while.

View Quote
I used coral sand. Looks nicer than mud.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
I had some as a kid they lived for a couple years

just had a wide shallow bowl with gravel and rocks

and a air stone

tossed in fish food and small chunks of hamburger or whatever raw meat I had lying around

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

and a air stone

tossed in fish food and small chunks of hamburger or whatever raw meat I had lying around

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

and a air stone

Apparently, at 10, I was an idiot.

I lived on the banks of the mighty St. Croix River and fished every day that the river was not frozen.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Crawdads LOVE bacon! When we go fishing, the youngsters get to catch crawdads with bacon tied on a string. They have a

blast, lots of screaming and hollerin'. It's fun to watch.

Edit: Pro-tip. If you leave your crawdad catch outside the camper in just a bucket 'o water, the skunks and/or coons will eat

them. Every one. Grandchildren can become despondent about this fact. They get over that, however, when tbey catch more.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I set my tank up like the local natural habitat.I half buried a PBR can in the gravel,added a broken Bud bottle that the catfish used for a cave,tossed in assorted pop tops and bottle caps.It looked perfect.I needed a tire,but a front tire from a early 70's Snapper lawn mower was the smallest I had,and it was just too big for a 20 gallon tank.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#50]
These things are poop machines! Lol
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top