Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2015 6:58:54 PM EDT
RC- No friggin clue how much this bird costs but the fun quotient is off the charts,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=172&v=1lYGUROZ_Pg
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
HABU FTMFW!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

RC- No friggin clue how much this bird costs but the fun quotient is off the charts,

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's on You Tube and you think it hasn't been done here before, you're probably wrong.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Greatest single engineering achievement in non-spacing faring, aviation history.

The love the fact that in THEORY, the SR71 had no speed limit. According to Kelly Johnson.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Damn...I guess the next question is, how fast does it go?

Ain't even gonna ask what it costs, I can't afford it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Greatest single engineering achievement in non-spacing faring, aviation history.

The love the fact that in THEORY, the SR71 had no speed limit. According to Kelly Johnson.
View Quote

if it works in theory, it works in practice, in theory.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it's on You Tube and you think it hasn't been done here before, you're probably wrong.
View Quote

Dude there are only 3 threads on arfcom.

1 - FBHO and heres why aka If you dont like what I dont like, youre a faggot
2 - Look at what I own, what i can do
3 - Look at what I found on another site and brought here for all to see

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
That is fucking badass.

I'd crash the shit out of that thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The engines alone can cost $10,000 to $15,000 (each) and require regular manufacturer overhauls.

Speed is easily in excess of 200 mph.

Shit happens fast at those speeds.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, I'd need to see a reference for that, because there were lots of limits, granted some of them could have been eased, but some were hard limits.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The engines alone can cost $10,000 to $15,000 (each) and require regular manufacturer overhauls.

Speed is easily in excess of 200 mph.

Shit happens fast at those speeds.
View Quote

Aaaand I just figured out we are talking about an RC model.  I'll go sit in the corner with the dunce cap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ok, I'd need to see a reference for that, because there were lots of limits, granted some of them could have been eased, but some were hard limits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's from a 90's episode of Wings from the Discovery Channel on the SR71. I found it on youtube a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC,  the speed limit was based on the engines melting (or at least overheating).  The cones that regulate flow into the engine,  even when fully closed at high speeds,  could bleed through more air then the engines could handle.  The airframe itself was probably nowhere near its limits.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Bad ass
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In practice, there was the one Blackbird (I can't recall if it was a A-12 or and SR-71)that had undergone maintenance and the blow-in doors on the rear of the engines were disabled in the CLOSED position.  In flight a massive amount of air that would have normally been vented out those doors went out the exhaust, becoming part of the afterburner flow.  Plus there was a massive reduction in drag due to no airflow disruption from the airflow coming out of the doors if they'd been allowed to open..

The pilot reported that the aircraft accelerated "like a scalded dog" compared to regular Blackbirds he'd flown.  That resulted in the aircraft accelerating to a speed beyond the thermal rating of the Blackbird, which damaged a lot of systems on the aircraft.  Lockheed said the pilot was lucky to be able to catch the situation before so much damage occurred that the airframe failed.

After analyzing the event Kelly Johnson said he'd never realized how much faster he could have made the Blackbird by eliminating the blow in doors, but the thermal issues might have never been solvable with technology of the day.

But I wonder if there weren't some tests down towards the end of the SR's career to see what could have been obtained.  The quickly hushed-up story in the LA Times back in the 1980s about Lockheed flying a manned aircraft at 3,000mph had to come from somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
IIRC it was capable of MACH3+
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

IIRC,  the speed limit was based on the engines melting (or at least overheating).  The cones that regulate flow into the engine,  even when fully closed at high speeds,  could bleed through more air then the engines could handle.  The airframe itself was probably nowhere near its limits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what could be done with today's technology to mitigate these problems? I mean could we make it go faster, higher, etc? I think of all modern jets this is one of my favorites. It was amazing as far as capabilities go for something built in the 60's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Just an old Ox Cart
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just an old Ox Cart
View Quote

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just an old Ox Cart

This.  Sled Driver is a must read.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Remember reading about them doing some closing rate tests. Like firing a 30.06 at each end of the range and timing it to get the bullets to pass close by in the middle of the range.

At 2100 mph (~ mach3) that's 3000 feet per second.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#24]
SR-71    
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe, until you have an engine compressor unstart at 105,000 ft and mach 3.3

http://roadrunnersinternationale.com/unstart.html
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#26]
It was this other video that came up, that I thought was really cool !

Although I loved the red LED afterburner lights, they are a cool touch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm lucky enough to get to drive by this example twice a day going to and from work, even better she attracts lots of pilots that like to tell stories.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In practice, there was the one Blackbird (I can't recall if it was a A-12 or and SR-71)that had undergone maintenance and the blow-in doors on the rear of the engines were disabled in the CLOSED position.  In flight a massive amount of air that would have normally been vented out those doors went out the exhaust, becoming part of the afterburner flow.  Plus there was a massive reduction in drag due to no airflow disruption from the airflow coming out of the doors if they'd been allowed to open..

The pilot reported that the aircraft accelerated "like a scalded dog" compared to regular Blackbirds he'd flown.  That resulted in the aircraft accelerating to a speed beyond the thermal rating of the Blackbird, which damaged a lot of systems on the aircraft.  Lockheed said the pilot was lucky to be able to catch the situation before so much damage occurred that the airframe failed.

After analyzing the event Kelly Johnson said he'd never realized how much faster he could have made the Blackbird by eliminating the blow in doors, but the thermal issues might have never been solvable with technology of the day.

But I wonder if there weren't some tests down towards the end of the SR's career to see what could have been obtained.  The quickly hushed-up story in the LA Times back in the 1980s about Lockheed flying a manned aircraft at 3,000mph had to come from somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've read, the materials used in the SR71 still stand today as extraordinarily advanced in terms of thermal capabilities. We're talking nominal temperatures nearing a thousand degrees.

Now, at higher altitudes the heating becomes less and less of a problem, but there's also less air to breathe.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I thought, no way I'm watching a 47 minute video.  Then I watched the whole thing and it was well worth it.  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

From what I've read, the materials used in the SR71 still stand today as extraordinarily advanced in terms of thermal capabilities. We're talking nominal temperatures nearing a thousand degrees.

Now, at higher altitudes the heating becomes less and less of a problem, but there's also less air to breathe.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issues were more to do with non-structural portions of the aircraft getting too hot and starting to melt.  A titanium airframe full of wiring with burning insulation, melting hydraulic system components and fuel used for thermal cooling that is ready to explode from excessive heat is not a good situation.  That's what was the case with the overspeeded Blackbird.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Sled driver is a worthy read.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No longer in print, but it's 'out there.'

Read the whole thing in one sitting; honestly that good.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.

He just released a limited edition 'gold' set for $550. Contains both sled rider and untouchables. As well as an SR71 challenge coin.

He also sells copies of his books at airshows he attends.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Negative.

He just released a limited edition 'gold' set for $550. Contains both sled rider and untouchables. As well as an SR71 challenge coin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.

Last time I looked at Sled Drider the prices were fucking insane... Just looked again, 270 bucks used on amazon. I'd love to read it but I'll never spend that kind of money on a book.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Designed in the late 50's by guys using slide rules, first flight in 64 and they still can't tell us how high or how fast it can go
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wot you did there, I see it. (the .pdf)

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm lucky enough to get to drive by this example twice a day going to and from work, even better she attracts lots of pilots that like to tell stories.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/Ozman2/f4c7bec7f98fc76b78f364369da89217.jpg
View Quote

That is my favorite display. You can hug it!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#40]
I hope we still make cool shit like this, even if the public never gets to know about it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/Ozman2/f4c7bec7f98fc76b78f364369da89217.jpg
View Quote

One day I will visit the Cosmodrome. I already have the trip mapped out. Just need a summer to do it. Probably in the next two or three years. I can bring Highway 50 right back to western Colorado.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Speaking of the SR71, bet most don't know how high tech the engines were.

They weren't turbofan, they weren't turbojet. They were turboramjet.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I was reading an article in a magazine about the SR72 spy drone they are building.

Awsome

I wonder how they are going to get that thing to drop a bomb without disintegrating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top