[#1]
They're thinking........

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So let me get this straight......

If you lack humility then you also lack the wisdom to recognise that you are no better or worse than anyone else.

However, you claim that most atheists have a complete lack of humility and by inference therefore lack the wisdom to know that they are no better or wore than everyone else.

By claiming this as an observation, you appear to be criticising people because they hold a contrary view that might challenge the validity of religious claims, and are implying that you yourself as someone in a position to make that judgement, do not lack humility.

This in itself is a self defeating argument, because you now appear to be suggesting that those who lack humility are worse than you, or you are better than them, at which point any claim you may have to humility goes out of the window.

Anyone making a claim on humility is on rather shaky ground, it seems.  In fact, I dare say that nearly all people lack humility because we all judge people in some way as part of our natural process of communication and risk assessment and believe that people are worse or better than ourselves in some way as part of human nature.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The one thing I have noticed about most Atheists, not all, but most, is a complete lack of humility. Just an observation I felt like sharing and is all I have to add to the discussion.

Humility is a religious concept, of course we don't adhere to it.  We don't "humble ourselves before god" or accept that we are not in control of our own destiny.  I know it has to be nice to abdicate control to some supreme being, but I'm ok being responsible for my successes and failures.
No it is not. The problem is that you do not humble yourselves even before your fellow man. It is very narcissistic to believe that you know so much more then everyone else. When someone says something contrary to your own beliefs or knowledge, you respond with sarcasm or outright insults. True wisdom is understanding how much you do not know and will never know. As much as you would like to believe otherwise, you are no better or worse then anyone else.

If you lack humility then you also lack the wisdom to recognise that you are no better or worse than anyone else.

However, you claim that most atheists have a complete lack of humility and by inference therefore lack the wisdom to know that they are no better or wore than everyone else.

By claiming this as an observation, you appear to be criticising people because they hold a contrary view that might challenge the validity of religious claims, and are implying that you yourself as someone in a position to make that judgement, do not lack humility.

This in itself is a self defeating argument, because you now appear to be suggesting that those who lack humility are worse than you, or you are better than them, at which point any claim you may have to humility goes out of the window.

Anyone making a claim on humility is on rather shaky ground, it seems.  In fact, I dare say that nearly all people lack humility because we all judge people in some way as part of our natural process of communication and risk assessment and believe that people are worse or better than ourselves in some way as part of human nature.

You smade a lot of false assumptions to make that conclusion, and really made my point for me.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The night is dark and full of terrors.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wouldn't call him a Christian either (cue No True Scotsman claims)

I get why teens don't like Christianity. It's not cool and the message involves not being selfish. That last one is a big deal.

But I truly don't "get" the hardcore hate of Christianity by Atheists in general. Is it a situation where the person was abused or mistreated by someone in a church/their family who claimed belief? I mentioned earlier how much in the way of science has came from Christians, so that can't be it (though I've heard baseless accusations of the church somehow inhibiting science in the modern age). If you're living a life that the Church doesn't approve I can understand the dislike I guess. Or is it truly the disdain for any semblance of humility as seen a few posts up? I don't know, and I don't get it. I get disbelief (not that I agree on it), but I don't understand the sheer vehemence pointed at Christianity in general.  

Are you just really annoyed by hardcore fundamentalists, prosperity gospel scammers (see Osteen), and hyprocritical so-called Christians? Well, heck, I think Jesus is too.

Also, as I saw the thread where a majority of people (dems) think illegal immigrants should be able to vote; and other threads pointing to the dumbing down and downward spiral of America, yet, some seem to think the stat we're discussing in this thread is somehow unrelated to that, that somehow while the country is going to figurative hell that this new godless future envisioned by some here is a sign of progress and better things. When the majority in other stats show a trend toward a worsening state of affairs; we see a (sort of) majority here leaning one way and somehow align this with the majority being right this time.

That last paragraph may make no sense. I need a nap.
View Quote

Behind the thin veneer of "love" which is the hook of certain religions is an absolute monstrosity of an idea, that can only be conceived by shamans bent on super-slavery of their fellowmen hanging like Damocle's sword of an eternally vengeful tyrant. It's the absolutely inhuman idea that all men are evil and incapable of goodness and they deserve unceasing unimaginable punishment which is exactly what the majority of humanity will get. And because "the few" will be suckling nectar and honey from the divine tits, they call this the good news. But I don't know what is more selfish than the tacit acquiescence with the eternal suffering of mankind because the chosen few will get to have invulnerable peace and much pleasant emotions.

There is nothing more dehumanizing or undermining of the very foundation of morality than the idea that a man's actions do not count for anything and add up to no good. That it doesn't matter what a man does or what he is like on the inside or in relation to his fellow man, the only thing that matters is what he "believes" or "submits" to.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You better evangelizing to a wall. I could care less about the content, its your instant compulsion to post it. Just calling your masturbatory nature like it is. [shrug]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD. All the families of the nations will bow down before You (or bow down and pay tribute to Almighty God), for kingship belongs to the LORD; He rules over the nations. All who prosper on earth will eat (or will eat and be satisfied) and bow down; all those who go down to the dust will kneel before Him---even the one who cannot preserve his life.

Descendants will serve Him; the next generation will be told about the LORD.
They will come and tell a people yet to be born about His righteousness---what He has done.
The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.

Psalm and Spiritual Song of King David of Jerusalem
Psalm 22: 27-31, Psalm 23:1 of the Old Testament (DCE)
The Righteous will Live by Faith: From Suffering to Praise

What audience do you think that reaches?  Atheists, agnostics, or are you preaching to the choir?

Its his thing. Its biblical quote masturbation. Like the nine inch nails song it gets him closer to god.

I know that your post is probably meant to get a like and evil reaction, but in this case there will be none to give.
The word of God is really what you hate here isn't it?
Time for some, "Mr. Steve" memes again?
Evangelize orn brutha!!

You better evangelizing to a wall. I could care less about the content, its your instant compulsion to post it. Just calling your masturbatory nature like it is. [shrug]

And so I might feel the same, yet in reverse about the tactics that you readily employ today.
I am not inclined to believe them to be wise or good for you.
Even some fools take cover or protect themselves when they see trouble or danger coming.
This is a Biblical teaching.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You smade a lot of false assumptions to make that conclusion, and really made my point for me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The one thing I have noticed about most Atheists, not all, but most, is a complete lack of humility. Just an observation I felt like sharing and is all I have to add to the discussion.

Humility is a religious concept, of course we don't adhere to it.  We don't "humble ourselves before god" or accept that we are not in control of our own destiny.  I know it has to be nice to abdicate control to some supreme being, but I'm ok being responsible for my successes and failures.
No it is not. The problem is that you do not humble yourselves even before your fellow man. It is very narcissistic to believe that you know so much more then everyone else. When someone says something contrary to your own beliefs or knowledge, you respond with sarcasm or outright insults. True wisdom is understanding how much you do not know and will never know. As much as you would like to believe otherwise, you are no better or worse then anyone else.

No, he really nailed it.  Nobody does false humility like rabid theists.  I've never met a more judgemental group of people.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The danger is that worship of the state will step in to take its place.

View Quote

This. Kids aren't non-religious; they've just replaced God with The State.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not sure they'd even add up to Stalin/Lenin numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One look at a history book to see how Christians handled themselves or how modern day Islam is currently handling themselves enough for most people to realize that religion is responsible for more human death than any other single thing, well, ever....and its not much of a surprise.

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, thats Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.

I've spent my whole life with my nose in history books. You're full of shit and simply spouting leftist drivel. Genghis Khan didn't conquer because of "religion." Nor did Alexander, or the Romans, or...well, damn near anybody until the Moslems came along. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, none of them untold millions because of "religion."

I have no dogs in the religious fight. But I'll call "bullshit" when I see it.

His point may be technically accurate if you lump all deaths "caused by religion" against single historical acts. If you lump all the killings in the name of Islam, Christianity, etc. together I'm sure that would tally up more than Hitler, Stalin, etc. individually, but as a whole, no.

Stalin/lenin/mao is in the neighborhood of 100 million or so.

Muslim expansion into Asia is credited with around 60 million people killed.

The real legitimate Christian war for the simple sake of religion would be the inquisition with anywhere between 20,000 killed and around half a million.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The danger is that worship of the state will step in to take its place.

Id say more so themselves than the state.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Religion is the devil, we need to banish that demon to the fiery depths of hell  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no desire to attack and insult atheists because of their beliefs/non-beliefs, but they continue to do so.. Yet it is people like me that you see as the most judgemental.

It is just not worth it to argue the issue any more.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The real legitimate Christian war for the simple sake of religion would be the inquisition with anywhere between 20,000 killed and around half a million.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One look at a history book to see how Christians handled themselves or how modern day Islam is currently handling themselves enough for most people to realize that religion is responsible for more human death than any other single thing, well, ever....and its not much of a surprise.

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, thats Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.

I've spent my whole life with my nose in history books. You're full of shit and simply spouting leftist drivel. Genghis Khan didn't conquer because of "religion." Nor did Alexander, or the Romans, or...well, damn near anybody until the Moslems came along. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, none of them untold millions because of "religion."

His point may be technically accurate if you lump all deaths "caused by religion" against single historical acts. If you lump all the killings in the name of Islam, Christianity, etc. together I'm sure that would tally up more than Hitler, Stalin, etc. individually, but as a whole, no.

You could argue that the communist state became a religion in itself. The dear leaders it's God figure through propaganda, the state is the church. Just look at North Korea and the diefication of it's leader. If this is the case then "religion" is the root of much mass killing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Or, hopefully, they won't pray to anything at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
they will pray to the gooogle gods,    sad very sad

They will pray to the political correctness god, and to the god named "The Government"

Or, hopefully, they won't pray to anything at all.

Most people aren't that strong.  If they don't pray to a god of their own choosing, the state will provide one: itself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO any religion that calls for killing other people for any reason other than pure self defense... is a false religion.  yes, christanity and every other religion almost has used its teachings to claim god demands they go to war, etc. ... people who blindly believe anything they are told by their church / religion and never use their own brains to wonder if this is right or wrong, are pretty much mindless drones. especially when they can read their own religious materials themselves, and see where they are commanded to live and let live, and leave punishment up to god.

i myself, i believe in god.....but i dont necessarily believe in the people who are teaching his word, because man is corrupt.   such as the preachers who rake in millions, under the guise of helping the poor, etc.  if i had a preacher, or religious official calling for me to donate 1/2 my money... or to burn down my neighbors house.. because they believe differently than i do..or go out and kill gays, or kids having sex out of wedlock... well, it would be time to find a new church.. not grab a pitchfork and a torch, and go after my neighbors.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have no desire to attack and insult atheists because of their beliefs/non-beliefs, but they continue to do so.. Yet it is people like me that you see as the most judgemental.

View Quote

'
Who are you?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are assuming I am an atheist.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most atheists could give a rat's ass about people's faith unless:
1.The religion incites violence against those who dont believe
2. You try pitying them for not believing like you
3. You try preaching to convert

The problem is that those three tenants are usually interwoven in abrahamic based religions and are some of its core principles.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Good. With the churches funneling money towards illegal immigrants, gun control, and more free stuff for the lazy and worthless, they are just as much the enemy as the democrats.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Behind the thin veneer of "love" which is the hook of certain religions is an absolute monstrosity of an idea, that can only be conceived by shamans bent on super-slavery of their fellowmen hanging like Damocle's sword of an eternally vengeful tyrant. It's the absolutely inhuman idea that all men are evil and incapable of goodness and they deserve unceasing unimaginable punishment which is exactly what the majority of humanity will get. And because "the few" will be suckling nectar and honey from the divine tits, they call this the good news. But I don't know what is more selfish than the tacit acquiescence with the eternal suffering of mankind because the chosen few will get to have invulnerable peace and much pleasant emotions.

There is nothing more dehumanizing or undermining of the very foundation of morality than the idea that a man's actions do not count for anything and add up to no good. That it doesn't matter what a man does or what he is like on the inside or in relation to his fellow man, the only thing that matters is what he "believes" or "submits" to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I get why teens don't like Christianity. It's not cool and the message involves not being selfish. That last one is a big deal.

But I truly don't "get" the hardcore hate of Christianity by Atheists in general. Is it a situation where the person was abused or mistreated by someone in a church/their family who claimed belief? I mentioned earlier how much in the way of science has came from Christians, so that can't be it (though I've heard baseless accusations of the church somehow inhibiting science in the modern age). If you're living a life that the Church doesn't approve I can understand the dislike I guess. Or is it truly the disdain for any semblance of humility as seen a few posts up? I don't know, and I don't get it. I get disbelief (not that I agree on it), but I don't understand the sheer vehemence pointed at Christianity in general.  

Are you just really annoyed by hardcore fundamentalists, prosperity gospel scammers (see Osteen), and hyprocritical so-called Christians? Well, heck, I think Jesus is too.

Also, as I saw the thread where a majority of people (dems) think illegal immigrants should be able to vote; and other threads pointing to the dumbing down and downward spiral of America, yet, some seem to think the stat we're discussing in this thread is somehow unrelated to that, that somehow while the country is going to figurative hell that this new godless future envisioned by some here is a sign of progress and better things. When the majority in other stats show a trend toward a worsening state of affairs; we see a (sort of) majority here leaning one way and somehow align this with the majority being right this time.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So basically, the message appears to be that people have to worship God and subscribe to religious worship or they will be eternally damned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So basically, the message appears to be that people have to worship God and subscribe to religious worship or they will be eternally damned.

More correctly, He will not compell you to spend Eternity with Him against your will.  Free will means free choices, even monumentally stupid and bad ones.

Sounds like a rather threatening and imposing ideology when you consider it.

Feel free to express your displeasure to the Master Architect when you see Him.  As for me, I don't much care what a computer program or a song thinks about me as it's creator - I want it to do as I intend.

Not many people respond well to threats of this nature these days. Dogmatic religious rants can be pretty off-putting and tend to give religion a bad name, especially in a largely secular culture where the religious types may be perceived as trying to impose their values through government.

A Christian should NEVER try to force attendance in church or specific beliefs on ANYONE, except perhaps their minor children.  However, in a democracy, a Christain has JUST AS MUCH RIGHT  to express their desires of government at the ballot box and otherwise as any other member of the polity - even if those postitions are informed by their religion - do you disagree?  If that means you don't get your way, well then, that whole "democcracy" thing is a bitch when you get out-voted - isn't it?

Is it any wonder people might decide to give it a wide berth in favour of lifestyles with less threatening and less imposing messages?

They give it a wide birth because, if there is no God - then YOU are your own God, and the only person you really ahve to answer to.

IF you are right.  Good luck with that ....
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Martin Luther started out as a Catholic monk. In his extensive bible studies, he took issue with the fact then many of their Catholic teachings were not taken from scripture. So he wrote his 95 theses, outling many of these issues. Belief in Jesus (as a prerequisite to heaven) was not among them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recently took my son to Cub Scout mass - his first time at church and my first time in 15 years... I figured that despite my own lack of faith he had a right to start developing his own views and I like the Scouts and wanted him to be able to participate.  First reading had to do with only people who believe in Jesus can get into Heaven - which seemed really scary since faith isn't automatic and it sends the message that being a good person isn't enough.  Then, the sermon was 20 minutes of Catholic Charities appeal for money.  Really negative first impression.  I was hoping for something inspirational or at least something about life we could discuss.
According to scripture, being a good person is not enough. However, only God/Jesus gets to decide.  

Martin Luther started out as a Catholic monk. In his extensive bible studies, he took issue with the fact then many of their Catholic teachings were not taken from scripture. So he wrote his 95 theses, outling many of these issues. Belief in Jesus (as a prerequisite to heaven) was not among them.

Luther knew all about the Council of Nicea.  The Nicene Creed in one form or another has been a part of the regular Catholic Mass(and Lutheran after Luther) for almost 1800 years.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#22]
My tongue is going to start bleeding if I bite it any harder.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I didn't realize the thread had progressed so far, I never see that there's multiple pages when I click on threads on JRS.

There' s no way to get accurate enough numbers to try to prove one way or the other, the comparison itself is asinine because of that.
View Quote

Nope/  Are you math challenged?  How long did people live before 1900, and what did they die of?  How many people are there?

All of religion, through all of history, cannot come CLOSE to the body count racked up by Communist and orther "stae as religion" governemnts, like nazis.  Neither the technology to kill so many peopel so fast, nor the numbers of people that Mother Nature didn't kill first, were available.

Not to mention the difficulty with the technology available of even FIELDING and army bigger than 15K, much less moving it around.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recently took my son to Cub Scout mass - his first time at church and my first time in 15 years... I figured that despite my own lack of faith he had a right to start developing his own views and I like the Scouts and wanted him to be able to participate.  First reading had to do with only people who believe in Jesus can get into Heaven - which seemed really scary since faith isn't automatic and it sends the message that being a good person isn't enough.  Then, the sermon was 20 minutes of Catholic Charities appeal for money.  Really negative first impression.  I was hoping for something inspirational or at least something about life we could discuss.
According to scripture, being a good person is not enough. However, only God/Jesus gets to decide.  

If that statement is accurate, then Luther would be incorrect.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What audience do you think that reaches?  Atheists, agnostics, or are you preaching to the choir?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD. All the families of the nations will bow down before You (or bow down and pay tribute to Almighty God), for kingship belongs to the LORD; He rules over the nations. All who prosper on earth will eat (or will eat and be satisfied) and bow down; all those who go down to the dust will kneel before Him---even the one who cannot preserve his life.

They will come and tell a people yet to be born about His righteousness---what He has done.

You have been informed.  You can go ahead and drive around the spiritual baracades and into the high water if you choose.  After all, you are a self made man, reponsible for and to only yourself.

The results are on you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I lol'd, but was a little sad at the same time.
View All Quotes

It is one of those sad truths. I would rather be surrounded by people that truly believe than pretend.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Obama is a perfect example of what happens when people disregard humility and worship themselves.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You have been informed.  You can go ahead and drive around the spiritual baracades and into the high water if you choose.  After all, you are a self made man, reponsible for and to only yourself.

The results are on you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The results are on you.

What results would these be and can you prove these results scientifically?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Think of your house or apartment.  Do you let anyone in - if they are "good" (or good enough?)   Or do you restrict who can come in your crib based on their behavior and attitude, especially toward - YOU?

God's Creation - God's rules.  Feel free to tell Him, how unfair He is when you see HIm.

As for me, I have no doubt that the nature of man is evil.  Never saw a child that had to be TAUGHT to lie, TAUGHT to hit someone, TAUGHT to take something that isn't his.

All the teaching I have seen has been to PREVENT that kind of thing, and where that ISN'T taught turns into shitholes like Detroit, Baltimore, Ferguson, etc.

There is none good - no, not one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read the book of Matthew in the New Testament, King James Version. Jesus tells folks how to get to Heaven, it isn't very complicated at all, in fact, it's actually a very simple process.  

God Bless!

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You could argue that the communist state became a religion in itself. The dear leaders it's God figure through propaganda, the state is the church. Just look at North Korea and the diefication of it's leader. If this is the case then "religion" is the root of much mass killing.
View Quote

Nope.  Atheism is an official tenet of Communism, and was an occult position of the 3rd Reich.  Body count is way norht of 100 mil.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread went the predictable direction I thought it would.

These threads always end up a shitfest between people of faith, agnostics, atheists, and anti-thiests.  No one here is going to change the others minds. And no one is smarter or more intellectually superior to another based solely on religious/non-religious beliefs.  I wish these threads would get immediately put in the religion sub-forum so we don't have to see them week after week after week.

Here is a novel thought.....Believe whatever you want to believe.  Do not criticize me for my beliefs, and I won't criticize you for yours.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The results are on you.

Clinical death is scientific isn't it?
So what happens after?
The Bible clearly states that some will not be able to preserve their own lives even after physical death.
Don't believe it.
So what.
You'll see either way..
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

These threads always end up a shitfest between people of faith, agnostics, atheists, and anti-thiests.  No one here is going to change the others minds. And no one is smarter or more intellectually superior to another based solely on religious/non-religious beliefs.  I wish these threads would get immediately put in the religion sub-forum so we don't have to see them week after week after week.

Here is a novel thought.....Believe whatever you want to believe.  Do not criticize me for my beliefs, and I won't criticize you for yours.
View Quote

I used to agree. Everyone just leave one another alone, and it will all work out fine. But with churches actively pushing gun control, assisting illegal aliens, and pushing for laws that are based in their belief system, they have become the enemy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Think of your house or apartment.  Do you let anyone in - if they are "good" (or good enough?)   Or do you restrict who can come in your crib based on their behavior and attitude, especially toward - YOU?

God's Creation - God's rules.  Feel free to tell Him, how unfair He is when you see HIm.

As for me, I have no doubt that the nature of man is evil.  Never saw a child that had to be TAUGHT to lie, TAUGHT to hit someone, TAUGHT to take something that isn't his.

All the teaching I have seen has been to PREVENT that kind of thing, and where that ISN'T taught turns into shitholes like Detroit, Baltimore, Ferguson, etc.

There is none good - no, not one.
View Quote

The nature of man is to survive and breed. To increase these chances we learned to work together and be social. Through these constructs certain rules developed to increase chances of the societies to survive. These basic rules got mixed in with beliefs because early human beings didnt know how to explain certain events or properties of the world. There is no evil involved. That is completely subjective to who defines evil. What better way for leaders to control uneducated, simple masses than using a figure that sees all, knows all, etc? No policing involved, people will police themselves and do what the leader will say or what he interprets the all seeing entity wants. Just look at this control in the dumbass masses of Islam in the Middle East.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Lol, religion in decline.  I was talking to an agnostic last night.  Believes in the Big Bang and Evolution, believes people should do whatever makes them happy, believe whatever they want, no absolute truth.  <- That is religion.
View Quote

No, it's not religion. It could be seen as a religion, but the context that everybody is using to describe religions is not the one that one would go "Gaming is my religion."

Religion requires worship. If you do not worship, you do not have a religion. This is why Buddhism isn't really considered a religion.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nope.  Atheism is an official tenet of Communism, and was an occult position of the 3rd Reich.  Body count is way norht of 100 mil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they replaced traditional worship with state worship.  North Korea again example, every house must have a picture of dear leader to pledge to. This is akin to every Catholic or Christian household having a cross to pray infront of. The belief is that dear leader knows all, is the best, and is the savior of the country.  Sounds pretty familiar to me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing this doesn't sound at all like what I believe
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So what happens after?
The Bible clearly states that some will not be able to preserve their own lives even after physical death.
Don't believe it.
So what.
You'll see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The results are on you.

So what happens after?
Don't believe it.
So what.
You'll see.

Death is pretty observable. Your body decomposes. The Bible clearly states absolutely nothing scientific in this area. It was written 2000 years ago and proves nothing. If anything it shows that some people existed in the past and even that can be taken with a grain of salt because it is such an unreliable source due to all the mythology.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No shit, religion tends to imply sacrifice, moral fortitude, and modesty. Its at odds with this generation of impulsively entitled narcissistic brats. and their parents and educators

ETA: Not religious btw, also despise worship of the state.

View Quote

I am religious and you nailed it.  I added a little...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Therefore just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, in this way death spread to all men, because all sinned.
In fact, sin was in the world before the law, but sin is not charged to one's account when there is no law.

---Romans 5: 12-13
The Abundant Life
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's not strictly idiocy, it's just that we tend to believe what we're told.

Add gregariousness to that and you get groups of people that can be talked into just about anything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.

Very good indeed. It's time to grow up and cast off silly superstitions.

We're wired for credulity and gregariousness.

We might cast off supernatural thinking but we'll believe and seek validation no matter what.

Being wired for gregariousness I can accept. Credulity not so much.

It's not strictly idiocy, it's just that we tend to believe what we're told.

Add gregariousness to that and you get groups of people that can be talked into just about anything.

You've definitely given me something to think about.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I used to agree. Everyone just leave one another alone, and it will all work out fine. But with churches actively pushing gun control, assisting illegal aliens, and pushing for laws that are based in their belief system, they have become the enemy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

These threads always end up a shitfest between people of faith, agnostics, atheists, and anti-thiests. No one here is going to change the others minds. And no one is smarter or more intellectually superior to another based solely on religious/non-religious beliefs. I wish these threads would get immediately put in the religion sub-forum so we don't have to see them week after week after week.

Here is a novel thought.....Believe whatever you want to believe. Do not criticize me for my beliefs, and I won't criticize you for yours.

Careful with that broad brush you paint churches with.

Just becasue it's a church does not mean they are religious.  I have left churches because they became more like a social club than a church, or became more about raising money for a new bigger building than preaching the gospel.  Heck my grandmother left her church of 30 years (ELCA) because they got away from preaching the Bible and got into the social justice route.

Do not equate churches with religion, because the two are not always associated with each other.

I'm a Christian (as is my whole familiy) and we all believe that (just touching the topics you discussed)

Gun control means following the fundamental rules of gun safety.

Illegal aliens need to be sent back to where they came from

There are already too many laws on the book as is (including some "based" on religion ex. no liquor sales before certian times on Sundays)

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Therefore just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, in this way death spread to all men, because all sinned.
In fact, sin was in the world before the law, but sin is not charged to one's account when there is no law.

The Abundant Life
View Quote

Sin caused all death? I thought it had to more to do with how we are made down to the genes, biology, chemistry,  etc? Thats it boys close down the researc labs, we just got to figure out how to cure sin. I mean they tried ridding sin durimg the black plague and it seemed successful enough.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Sin caused all death? I thought it had to more to do with how we are made down to the genes, biology, chemistry,  etc? Thats it boys close down the researc labs, we just got to figure out how to cure sin. I mean they tried ridding sin durimg the black plague and it seemed successful enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Abundant Life

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Abundant Life

http://www.equip121.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/apple5.jpg

The woman, Adam, the serpent or even God's for putting the tree there in the first place? Or why did god allow Satan in there period? Sounds like the game was rigged.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

More correctly, He will not compell you to spend Eternity with Him against your will.  Free will means free choices, even monumentally stupid and bad ones.

Feel free to express your displeasure to the Master Architect when you see Him.  As for me, I don't much care what a computer program or a song thinks about me as it's creator - I want it to do as I intend.

A Christian should NEVER try to force attendance in church or specific beliefs on ANYONE, except perhaps their minor children.  However, in a democracy, a Christain has JUST AS MUCH RIGHT  to express their desires of government at the ballot box and otherwise as any other member of the polity - even if those postitions are informed by their religion - do you disagree?  If that means you don't get your way, well then, that whole "democcracy" thing is a bitch when you get out-voted - isn't it?

They give it a wide birth because, if there is no God - then YOU are your own God, and the only person you really ahve to answer to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a rather threatening and imposing ideology when you consider it.

Not many people respond well to threats of this nature these days. Dogmatic religious rants can be pretty off-putting and tend to give religion a bad name, especially in a largely secular culture where the religious types may be perceived as trying to impose their values through government.

Is it any wonder people might decide to give it a wide berth in favour of lifestyles with less threatening and less imposing messages?

I'm a great believer in democracy.  However what a lot of people fail to consider is how their views or beliefs, as communicated,  are seen by others.  Empathy with opposing views should not be confused with sympathy.

Religion has a valid and valuable role in people's lives and it can maintain that roll without having to be imposed through Government.

A secular society with secular governance has long been the most desirable position of a modern society.  As such, those who try to impose religion or religious beliefs, or who use religion as a sole justification for a particular policy through Government will be likely to alienate people who might otherwise share a common political view.

In many ways, the more that people choose to explore a non-religious lifestyle or ask questions about the validity of religious claims they are being asked to consider, the more aggressively the hard-line religious types seem to fight back with arguments which fail to answer the questions.

You therefore end up with a politically and religiously disenfranchised group of people, who have asked perfectly reasonable questions about the things they are being asked to believe in, and the answer they receive varies from "believe or you will be judged" to quotes from scripture, and biblical references which, without the context of religious belief, have little or no meaning to the people asking this questions.

Speaking as an outsider looking in, this is part of the reason why a religiously fuelled GOP representation has been haemorrhaging support and is experiencing infighting and voter apathy.

I go back to my original point - you have stated that "He will not compell you to spend Eternity with Him against your will. Free will means free choices, even monumentally stupid and bad ones."   The question is, therefore, what happens if you live a virtuous life and are a non-believer in that life.  On passing, if they find themselves before God, then they will have good reason to believe because he is there in front of them.  Will they be challenged and discounted for not being a believer in life?

I remember my time in church from being a young child.  It always struck me as odd that those who eschewed the virtues of a religious belief included some of the most unpleasant, judgemental and downright nasty people I have ever met.  Yet they went to church, played a key role in church activities and were all sweetness and light for one day a week when they believed they were able to recharge their credibility in the eyes of God.

There was a family who moved onto our road, a lovely couple with two very young children, one of whom was disabled. They didn't attend church because they were atheists.   Throughout the week in our little village the most virtuous religious types would gossip about and abuse that poor family, giving them hell and making life difficult for them in the cruellest manners.  Yet not once did that family ever raise a voice, confront their abusers, or get embroiled in any form of altercation in the face of the abuse they received, even when the religious crowd implied that the daughter's disability was divine retribution a result of the family not cow-towing to the demands of the religious folks that were high rollers in the church.

We see the same kind of crap from charlatans like "Reverend" Al Sharpton and "Reverend" Jackson, both of whom are odious propagators of hatred and intolerance.

This was not something that all churchgoers where involved in, I must add.  Many of the congregation were normal decent people like my family who saw what was going on and tried to stop it, befriending the beleaguered family and welcoming them to the community.

This got me thinking as a child and still has me thinking to this day. What kind of God would accept someone who was a monumental shit for 6 days a week, then sought forgiveness for their behaviour in church on a sunday, only to go back out and be monumental shit again the following week.  

If all it takes to go to heaven or even stand before God when the day comes, is to be believer and accept God while their disgusting behaviour towards others is ignored then what does that say about the validity and virtues of that religion?  

Conversely, if someone is a non-believer, yet they live their lives with care and kindness, genuine humility and forgive those who would be cruel to them, then what kind of God would judge them only on whether they were believers or not, if they found to their surprise on passing, that they stood before God to be judged?

This is one of the biggest flaws in the religious premise that without belief you will be judged and found wanting.   Someone can be a complete shit and still get their day before God, but someone who lives a good life with all the correct virtues either will not qualify to stand before God, or be found wanting based solely on the fact that they didn't believe.

I can quite easily see what people might consider this and question the credibility of a religion that holds this as a core value.

Just to clarify.  I am not an atheist.   I was brought up in a moderate religious family, attended church and went on to marry a Catholic girl, an have children who go to a Catholic School. I firmly believe that religion has a valuable contribution to make to a lot of people's lives if that is what they choose, and that is a choice they should be free to make without being compelled or preyed upon to conform.

However I also see that the way religion is communicated to an ever more inquisitive and scientifically aware society is anachronistic, can appear oppressive and is highly dismissive of the very questions people want answering. If those questions were answered honestly with a perspective from the heart, and not from the regurgitation of scripture, or threats of eternal damnation for failing to conform, then the response might be seen as more positive.

In my experience, most atheists are more than capable of holding a meaningful discussion about the subject of religion than many give them credit for.

Perhaps a less prickly response from those who do hold religion dear might go a long way to opening up the dialogue.  Failure to do so will contribute to religion being the architect of its own demise.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Wrong.  Governments have killed far more.  Evil men have killed the rest.  If your concept of God is some "magic mythical non-existent sky men"  then you are simplistic.  You don't have to believe, but your impression of God, Goodness and Grace is lacking.  I'd like you to cite your claims about mass murder, "cult like following" and extremism.  I'm supposing you will say something about the crusades and degrade from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following or extremism.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, the lesser evolved religion is Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.

Wrong.  Governments have killed far more.  Evil men have killed the rest.  If your concept of God is some "magic mythical non-existent sky men"  then you are simplistic.  You don't have to believe, but your impression of God, Goodness and Grace is lacking.  I'd like you to cite your claims about mass murder, "cult like following" and extremism.  I'm supposing you will say something about the crusades and degrade from there.

Exactly.

When a false, self-described "gun owner group" proves it is actually an anti-gun group they get called out.  For good reason.

But then when some group calls itself Christian, and murderers people who they call heretics, they don't get called out.  They are an example of "Christians killing people for their God."

Do religious people (including falsely described "Christians") kill in the name of their religion?  Absolutely.  They have and do.

But true Christians have never killed for the Lord Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Back in the day religious people weren't philosophers struggling with the silence of god, much less little bitches claiming it's a test to find faith, or that gods can't be tested.

They treated gods as real beings, as real as a rock bashing your skull in. So they tested them without qualms and slaughtered the side whose' gods didn't show unequivocal proof, as seen with the Baalite priests in Judeo-Christian religion. That was a scientific experiment right down to assuming the burden of proof (if you take it as written), with a rather more death for the disproved side of course.

Today not a Christian* in the world would do that, because internally, subconsciously, they've been seeing it not happen all their lives. Their excuses for not actually believing, their backchannel rationalizations for why their professions of faith are actually reall belief, are pre-prepped.

It's a long shot, but this dichotomy implies Julian Jaynes theory bicameral breakdown has some useful interpretive value. It certainly does for predicting behavior in the present day.

*Counter-evidence: modern Africans have no qualms following the full spectrum of their holy book, though admittedly executing homosexuals, burning witches, etc takes place in areas subsidized on condition of passing anti-homo laws, etc by coreligionists who can't practice those activities openly in their home countries.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top