BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

not to be an ass but do you know the only way into heaven is through Jesus? its kinda the whole point of the new testament and if they didn't mention it they would be assholes by allowing your kid to go unknowingly into hell.

and the second part in addition to preachers picking the easy everyone agrees with me sermons is why i no longer go to church.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recently took my son to Cub Scout mass - his first time at church and my first time in 15 years... I figured that despite my own lack of faith he had a right to start developing his own views and I like the Scouts and wanted him to be able to participate.  First reading had to do with only people who believe in Jesus can get into Heaven - which seemed really scary since faith isn't automatic and it sends the message that being a good person isn't enough.  Then, the sermon was 20 minutes of Catholic Charities appeal for money.  Really negative first impression.  I was hoping for something inspirational or at least something about life we could discuss.

not to be an ass but do you know the only way into heaven is through Jesus? its kinda the whole point of the new testament and if they didn't mention it they would be assholes by allowing your kid to go unknowingly into hell.

and the second part in addition to preachers picking the easy everyone agrees with me sermons is why i no longer go to church.

*Sigh*  Religion really is awful.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recently took my son to Cub Scout mass - his first time at church and my first time in 15 years... I figured that despite my own lack of faith he had a right to start developing his own views and I like the Scouts and wanted him to be able to participate.  First reading had to do with only people who believe in Jesus can get into Heaven - which seemed really scary since faith isn't automatic and it sends the message that being a good person isn't enough.  Then, the sermon was 20 minutes of Catholic Charities appeal for money.  Really negative first impression.  I was hoping for something inspirational or at least something about life we could discuss.

Without disagreeing with you, the instructions are pretty explicit.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Did I beat the bans?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

+1

Religion is devisive, and you don't need religion to have morals and values.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The alternative is universalism, you can try it but for the most part those that do don't like it.

I'm seeing a very interesting shift and change in society among those I do business with (late 20s, early 30s). Many of them have been atheists for a while, but now they're starting to see a shift in society among their atheist friends. It's going from partial to full militancy. They don't want to admit it, but many of them do side with many traditional Judeo-Christian values, even if they don't like the idea of organized religion, or even believe in a God. Now they are the ones being ridiculed because they don't instantaneously accept anti-white, anti-prosperous hatred from the militant left atheists.

I've been telling them for a while the worm is going to turn in western societies that have taken the whole mantra. Now one of them is leaving his country because he's having a difficult time interacting with people socially.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

+1

But interestingly enough, most of those morals that people espouse are based on religious values.

You need to go look at the cutting edge of culture to see what's in store for the world - Militant feminism, sexual debasement, extraordinary racism and hatred of those who produce.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You will find that ultimately it is not good. I am no longer religious but was brought up that way.  I think it does a lot of good as to socializing and instilling morals into children.  It is also a very good community center that brings lots of people together, again going back to socialization.  Of course, if your ultimate model is W. Europe....then I guess you will find this to be good development.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

You will find that ultimately it is not good. I am no longer religious but was brought up that way.  I think it does a lot of good as to socializing and instilling morals into children.  It is also a very good community center that brings lots of people together, again going back to socialization.  Of course, if your ultimate model is W. Europe....then I guess you will find this to be good development.

Honestly,  I'd take almost anything over the bible belt in the South. And parts of Western Europe, such as Italy, are still heavily religious.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He said it would happen.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Honestly,  I'd take almost anything over the bible belt in the South. And parts of Western Europe, such as Italy, are still heavily religious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

And realize, that in some areas, many Christians are also persecuted by those in authority because of their beliefs. It has less to do with them being 'christian' and more about that people use whatever they can get ahold of to control people. It can be religion, money, jobs, ideologies, greed or a thousand other things. It isn't always religion that is what gets control of people.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

John 14:6  King James Version (KJV)

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 First reading had to do with only people who believe in Jesus can get into Heaven - which seemed really scary since faith isn't automatic and it sends the message that being a good person isn't enough. .

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

When that book was written, people didn't even have the intellectual capacity to understand how magnets worked. Think about that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Or, hopefully, they won't pray to anything at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
they will pray to the gooogle gods,    sad very sad

They will pray to the political correctness god, and to the god named "The Government"

Or, hopefully, they won't pray to anything at all.

This
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm sure a Godless generation is just what this country needs to turn things around.
View Quote

Adults who believe in fairy tales make better decisions?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When that book the Constitution was written, people didn't even have the intellectual capacity to understand how magnets worked. Think about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First reading had to do with only people who believe in Jesus can get into Heaven - which seemed really scary since faith isn't automatic and it sends the message that being a good person isn't enough. .

When that book the Constitution was written, people didn't even have the intellectual capacity to understand how magnets worked. Think about that.

So, if a population is scientifically backwards by today's standards we can completely dismiss what they have written?

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He said it would happen.
View Quote

Yes, it is called the Falling Away.  We are in the Last Days and He is coming for His Bride.  Soon.  Very Soon.  Maranatha.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure a Godless generation is just what this country needs to turn things around.

While there was some variability in church attendance and overall religious devotion among them, virtually every signer of the Declaration of Independence believed in God and the Bible.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They will start praying to the god of hashtags, FB, Instagram, Twitter, selfies, and unbridled narcissism.  Even non-religous people (like myself) who can think past their own biases or personal beliefs, should see this as a net negative.  As I said before, religion satisfies very important functions in society.  It is not even about a belief in God at the end of the day.
View Quote

If you believe Freud, religion is about social control and suppressing the ID from acting upon its desires.

Basically, the imaginary man in the sky makes people dumb enough to buy into religion behave due to fear of consequences in the "next life".
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One look at a history book to see how Christians handled themselves or how modern day Islam is currently handling themselves enough for most people to realize that religion is responsible for more human death than any other single thing, well, ever....and its not much of a surprise.

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following or extremism.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, the lesser evolved religion is Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.
View Quote

You are full of shit. Do you think Stalin killed 20 million people because of religion? Do you think Mao killed 20 million because of religion? Do you think Julius Caesar was driven by religion? Do you think Genghis Khan was spreading animism? I guess Pol Pot was secretly only trying to spread Buddhism even though the Khmer Rouge banned all religion and targeted Buddhist monks, Muslims, Christians. Do you think that Queen Isabella financed Christopher Columbus to spread the word of God?

Barbarism is nothing but your OPINION. All morals are relative, don't kid yourself. That you have somehow convinced yourself that your morals are better than anybody else s morals shows how dogmatic you are. Do you even question anything you say?

This idea that a "set of beliefs" is more dangerous because people believe it comes from some deity is nothing but lunacy.

If you think that man created God then you must surely understand that means they also created right and wrong.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But interestingly enough, most of those morals that people espouse are based on religious values.

You need to go look at the cutting edge of culture to see what's in store for the world - Militant feminism, sexual debasement, extraordinary racism and hatred of those who produce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

+1

Values of common decency aren't exclusive to religion. Religion doesn't get to lay claim to universal values as being religious in nature.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've spent my whole life with my nose in history books. You're full of shit and simply spouting leftist drivel. Genghis Khan didn't conquer because of "religion." Nor did Alexander, or the Romans, or...well, damn near anybody until the Moslems came along. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, none of them untold millions because of "religion."

I have no dogs in the religious fight. But I'll call "bullshit" when I see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One look at a history book to see how Christians handled themselves or how modern day Islam is currently handling themselves enough for most people to realize that religion is responsible for more human death than any other single thing, well, ever....and its not much of a surprise.

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, thats Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.

I've spent my whole life with my nose in history books. You're full of shit and simply spouting leftist drivel. Genghis Khan didn't conquer because of "religion." Nor did Alexander, or the Romans, or...well, damn near anybody until the Moslems came along. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, none of them untold millions because of "religion."

I have no dogs in the religious fight. But I'll call "bullshit" when I see it.

I always hate it when I get pissed and respond to something just to see it is already 4 pages down and others have already said the same thing...  :(

well said
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I doubt they came close to the millions killed by communists in the Soviet Union, China, and other central and Eastern European nations,  I'll even leave Nazi Germany out of it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following or extremism.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, the lesser evolved religion is Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.
I doubt they came close to the millions killed by communists in the Soviet Union, China, and other central and Eastern European nations,  I'll even leave Nazi Germany out of it.  

"Religions... at least we've committed less genocide than commies and nazis"

Congratu-fucking-lations.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So, if a population is scientifically backwards by today's standards we can completely dismiss what they have written?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I checked, the Constitution doesn't give factual claims about how the earth was created or other matters that science completely shits on.

Apples to Oranges.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The alternative is universalism, you can try it but for the most part those that do don't like it.

I'm seeing a very interesting shift and change in society among those I do business with (late 20s, early 30s). Many of them have been atheists for a while, but now they're starting to see a shift in society among their atheist friends. It's going from partial to full militancy. They don't want to admit it, but many of them do side with many traditional Judeo-Christian values, even if they don't like the idea of organized religion, or even believe in a God. Now they are the ones being ridiculed because they don't instantaneously accept anti-white, anti-prosperous hatred from the militant left atheists.

I've been telling them for a while the worm is going to turn in western societies that have taken the whole mantra. Now one of them is leaving his country because he's having a difficult time interacting with people socially.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feminism is going through the same thing.

The only way out is through.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#25]
That's because the church has lost it's spine,and is so wishy washy.

Europe is in the process of being invaded,and the churches send idiots to Africa to make sure the future invaders of Europe live to the next day.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The atheists are the ones who are claiming that when Religion is finally eliminated from human society we will see the dawn of a New Age of Reason and Enlightenment.

Real-life experience in officially atheist societies over the past 100 years suggests otherwise.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Logical fallacies are seldom a good substitute for a substantive argument. Of course, to the emotion-driven, it certainly seems to be of some substance.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Already here.  Gimmie my free stuff.
View Quote

In case it hasn't already been said, salvation is free

However, everyone does not get a trophy just for showing up.

I agree, that reverence to religion is incompatible with narcissism and video games
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

When that book was written, people didn't even have the intellectual capacity to understand how magnets worked. Think about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, they had the brains for a good deal more than that, and proved it.

What would be more accurate is that they lacked the technology.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I agree, that reverence to religion is incompatible with narcissism and video games
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already here.  Gimmie my free stuff.

Now you're going after Call of Duty?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Last I checked, the Constitution doesn't give factual claims about how the earth was created or other matters that science completely shits on.

Apples to Oranges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apples to Oranges.

Nice try, but you didn't say anything about science in your comment; you simply stated that people who wrote the Bible did not understand magnetism and implied that as a result their writings should be considered worthless.

Well, neither did the Framers of the Constitution, and virtually all of them would be considered "religious" by today's standards.

So which is it:  Do you accept only things that were written by scientifically-minded persons, or do you accept that many of the documents we consider to be essential to our freedoms and society were written by persons who believed God created the Earth in six days?

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The atheists are the ones who are claiming that when Religion is finally eliminated from human society we will see the dawn of a New Age of Reason and Enlightenment.

Real-life experience in officially atheist societies over the past 100 years suggests otherwise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another dark age sounds appealing... right? Or are we just going to talk about the last 100 years?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I will keep the faith.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Another dark age sounds appealing... right? Or are we just going to talk about the last 100 years?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny thing about the Dark Ages: They ended as people obtained more religious freedom, not less.

In fact, the start of the Renaissance corresponded quite closely to the mass publication of the Bible.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#35]
FIFY

Quoted:
The danger is that worship of the state internet will step in to take its place.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their lack of understanding of technology and science led them to believe in magic, witchcraft and burning people at the stake. Perhaps, just perhaps, we should not be basing our lives off a 2000 BC understanding of the world as it existed at that time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Their lack of understanding of technology and science led them to believe in magic, witchcraft and burning people at the stake. Perhaps, just perhaps, we should not be basing our lives off a 2000 BC understanding of the world as it existed at that time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I take it you think the Constitution is outdated and irrelevant, then?

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Funny thing about the Dark Ages: They ended as people obtained more religious freedom, not less.

In fact, the start of the Renaissance corresponded quite closely to the mass publication of the Bible.

View Quote

Did it also correspond to the time christians stopped banishing thinkers as heretics?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They most certainly had the capacity to understand magnetism.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Did it also correspond to the time christians stopped banishing thinkers as heretics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know, but the Enlightenment sure got a kick-start when that religious weirdo Sir Isaac Newton invented calculus and described gravity.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nice try, but you didn't say anything about science in your comment; you simply stated that people who wrote the Bible did not understand magnetism and implied that as a result their writings should be considered worthless.

Well, neither did the Framers of the Constitution, and virtually all of them would be considered "religious" by today's standards.

So which is it:  Do you accept only things that were written by scientifically-minded persons, or do you accept that many of the documents we consider to be essential to our freedoms and society were written by persons who believed God created the Earth in six days?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apples to Oranges.

I didn't say anything about science?  Since Magnetism is a basic scientific concept, I thought the link was obvious. I guess your need to split hairs to defend your scared cows overrides common sense.

Also, very astute of you to skip over the fact that several of the framers were atheists.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Yay!  Let's all cheer the decline of morality, too!

Woot! This is a sign that the world will get better. I'm sure of it.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

They both represent shifts away from arbitrary church authority.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I didn't say anything about science?  Since Magnetism is a basic scientific concept, I thought the link was obvious. I guess your need to split hairs to defend your scared cows overrides common sense.

Also, very astute of you to skip over the fact that several of the framers were atheists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apples to Oranges.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2546951/posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_Fathers_of_the_United_States

Your assertion about several of the framers being atheists is only valid if you consider the "rational theism" of Jefferson and Washington and Franklin to be equivalent to modern atheism.  According to what I read the fact they believed the Bible to be "divinely inspired" would tend to undercut that idea.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Methinks that some dim bulbs are unable the comprehend the difference between atheist and agnostic.

It is no doubt a product of believing what you read on agenda-driven internet sites.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't know, but the Enlightenment sure got a kick-start when that religious weirdo Sir Isaac Newton invented calculus and described gravity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah? Imagine how many others there might have been had your church not banned the father of physics teachings?!?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again,  not even remotely the same thing.

Keep grasping at straws though.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Your assertion about several of the framers being atheists is only valid if you consider the "rational theism" of Jefferson and Washington and Franklin to be equivalent to modern atheism.  According to what I read the fact they believed the Bible to be "divinely inspired" would tend to undercut that idea.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apples to Oranges.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I certainly would take what they have to say about science with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like many contemporaries (e.g., Thomas Aikenhead) he lived with the threat of severe punishment if he had been open about his religious beliefs. Heresy was a crime that could have been punishable by the loss of all property and status or even death (see, e.g., the Blasphemy Act 1697). Because of his secrecy over his religious beliefs, Newton has been described as a Nicodemite.[9]

Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top