Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The danger is that worship of the state will step in to take its place.

View Quote
already is.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
homo marriage being the norm rammed into everyday life is one example of State vs Scripture, we all know who won that debate
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I love these threads.   Teens rebelling against their parents and their beliefs for the first time in history.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Martin Luther started out as a Catholic monk. In his extensive bible studies, he took issue with the fact then many of their Catholic teachings were not taken from scripture. So he wrote his 95 theses, outling many of these issues. Belief in Jesus (as a prerequisite to heaven) was not among them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recently took my son to Cub Scout mass - his first time at church and my first time in 15 years... I figured that despite my own lack of faith he had a right to start developing his own views and I like the Scouts and wanted him to be able to participate.  First reading had to do with only people who believe in Jesus can get into Heaven - which seemed really scary since faith isn't automatic and it sends the message that being a good person isn't enough.  Then, the sermon was 20 minutes of Catholic Charities appeal for money.  Really negative first impression.  I was hoping for something inspirational or at least something about life we could discuss.
According to scripture, being a good person is not enough. However, only God/Jesus gets to decide.  

Martin Luther started out as a Catholic monk. In his extensive bible studies, he took issue with the fact then many of their Catholic teachings were not taken from scripture. So he wrote his 95 theses, outling many of these issues. Belief in Jesus (as a prerequisite to heaven) was not among them.

Martin Luther was without a doubt sent by God to show us the faults within the "Church" at that time and show us a better way to live and worship. How many millions of people has his works led to Salvation I wonder? I know his books have changed my life as well as educated me on the issues that we Christians face each day. I cannot remember my favorite book of his, it's something, something 'and their lies'. Anyway, brilliant stuff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He said it would happen.
View Quote

Yes He did.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I doubt they came close to the millions killed by communists in the Soviet Union, China, and other central and Eastern European nations,  I'll even leave Nazi Germany out of it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One look at a history book to see how Christians handled themselves or how modern day Islam is currently handling themselves enough for most people to realize that religion is responsible for more human death than any other single thing, well, ever....and its not much of a surprise.

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following or extremism.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, the lesser evolved religion is Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.
I doubt they came close to the millions killed by communists in the Soviet Union, China, and other central and Eastern European nations,  I'll even leave Nazi Germany out of it.  

You're missing out on a whole chunk of geography/history with those few examples, on top of being plain wrong.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep threatening to quit my job and devote 100% of my time writing and applying for grants because of shit like this.  

Tried it once....had the Federal Government *this close* to paying for an elephant hunting extravaganza for two.  Then USFWS went crazy and changed all the import laws because record keeping was getting fast and loose with a few African governments.  I gave up on it.  

But one day I am going to see a check written out to my non-profit to explore teaching my Labrador Retrievers to speak Swahili.

But yeah...this is a water is wet study.  They're simply documenting an event all people already perceive to be gospel, no pun intended.  They can afford to put as much spin on the numbers as they please.    
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol. Teens.

The epitome of human intellect and reason.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've spent my whole life with my nose in history books. You're full of shit and simply spouting leftist drivel. Genghis Khan didn't conquer because of "religion." Nor did Alexander, or the Romans, or...well, damn near anybody until the Moslems came along. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, none of them untold millions because of "religion."

I have no dogs in the religious fight. But I'll call "bullshit" when I see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One look at a history book to see how Christians handled themselves or how modern day Islam is currently handling themselves enough for most people to realize that religion is responsible for more human death than any other single thing, well, ever....and its not much of a surprise.

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, thats Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.

I've spent my whole life with my nose in history books. You're full of shit and simply spouting leftist drivel. Genghis Khan didn't conquer because of "religion." Nor did Alexander, or the Romans, or...well, damn near anybody until the Moslems came along. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, none of them untold millions because of "religion."

They killed to conquer, daddy didn't hug them enough, mommy touched them, who knows.

BUT, they justified it to their followers by claiming their God said they could do it.  You know, the righteous thing.

I'll give you that there is a difference between those doing the act and the dumbasses they've convince that they're correct who inevitably follow in their footsteps.

I think you pulled your nose out too soon, but I won't call names.  Thats what real leftists do

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He said it would happen.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup. Notice more people leaving religion and .gov is growing bigger and bigger.

.gov is replacing God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Notice more people leaving religion and .gov is growing bigger and bigger.

.gov is replacing God.

I don't like getting up early on Sundays, and being that 95% of the churches in rural America mostly cater to blue-haired folk, there's not usually a service later than 10 or 10:30 if you're lucky.  To make it more fun, a lot of them have summer hours, where the winter 10:30AM service moves back an hour on Memorial Day.  

Its not like I'm going to the Baphomet service at 1:00 to pledge my loyalty to the government, I just want a day off that I don't have to jump out of bed and do anything.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lol, religion in decline.  I was talking to an agnostic last night.  Believes in the Big Bang and Evolution, believes people should do whatever makes them happy, believe whatever they want, no absolute truth.  <- That is religion.  What's scary is people not even realizing they hold a worldview, metaphysicial, inherently religious beliefs.  They don't know it.  That's dangerous.  That person doesn't even recognize their own lens, their own biases that shape how they view the world, the presuppositions they make.

Before they know it they're obsessed with some worldly cause, government power, the environment, sexual nihilism, and they don't even realize they've created a new religion out of it, new idols, new forms of worship, and morality.  All while accusing other people of being "religious".  

People are as religious as ever.  As fake Christianity passes by we will see more superstition to replace it.  Atheism doesn't offer the spirituality people desire and simply doesn't deal with the supernatural because it rejects it a priori.  A belief system that doesn't account for reality won't last.  Unfortunately, in the age of no absolutes, in which people aren't challenged to think through their incoherent beliefs, we'll get more neo-paganism mixed with pseudoscience.  This is not gonna be the future 20th century atheist/evolutionists were hoping for.
View Quote

Twentieth century?

I predict two world wars and weapons of unfathomable destructive power.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Islam sure seems popular though.
View Quote

Although many did not choose to be Muslims, but were forced to be. Try growing up in one of the really strict cities/sects in the ME, and telling mom and dad that you don't want to be Muslim. You'll probably be executed, not grounded.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Martin Luther was without a doubt sent by God to show us the faults within the "Church" at that time and show us a better way to live and worship. How many millions of people has his works led to Salvation I wonder? I know his books have changed my life as well as educated me on the issues that we Christians face each day. I cannot remember my favorite book of his, it's something, something 'and their lies'. Anyway, brilliant stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recently took my son to Cub Scout mass - his first time at church and my first time in 15 years... I figured that despite my own lack of faith he had a right to start developing his own views and I like the Scouts and wanted him to be able to participate.  First reading had to do with only people who believe in Jesus can get into Heaven - which seemed really scary since faith isn't automatic and it sends the message that being a good person isn't enough.  Then, the sermon was 20 minutes of Catholic Charities appeal for money.  Really negative first impression.  I was hoping for something inspirational or at least something about life we could discuss.
According to scripture, being a good person is not enough. However, only God/Jesus gets to decide.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following or extremism.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, the lesser evolved religion is Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.

Genghis Khan "a punishment from god" was just one figure from the past who put down modern day numbers in the name of religion. No one kills in the name of Atheism.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

FPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

FPNI

Some folks just depraved.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The world would be a better place if people didn't have magic mythical non-existent sky men to justify their barbarism, and that applies to every religion.  Morals don't exist BECAUSE of religion, they exist in spite of it.  There are other ways to teach your kid to be decent, that don't invite the potential for a cult like following.

An "evolved religion" is one that has already passed the point of mass killing for the sake of their God.  At the present, thats Islam.  In the past, you guessed it.

Both Jews and Christians have killed in the name of their religion. For the Jews, it's even documented in the OT. But their tally pales in comparison to the number killed in the name of Communism, or Islam.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Most college professors publish "studies" and "statistics" showing exactly what they want them to show.

One of the most important things I learned from graduate level stats courses: most "studies" are bullshit. It was one of the basic tenets my first statistics professor made us learn. She was a leftist twat, but she was straight up about the utter horse shit in most "studies," "surveys," and "statistics."
View Quote

Sounds like what you learned was a thin means to deny anything you don't like the sound of.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Both Jews and Christians have killed in the name of their religion. For the Jews, it's even documented in the OT. But their tally pales in comparison to the number killed in the name of Communism, or Islam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No argument there, after all, thats a religion.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Who Marx?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He said it would happen.

Who Marx?

Him too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol. Teens.

View Quote

So teens who don't believe in religion lack intellect and reason.

Hilarious.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Or, hopefully, they won't pray to anything at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
they will pray to the gooogle gods,    sad very sad

They will pray to the political correctness god, and to the god named "The Government"

Why do you hope this?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hilarious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol. Teens.

Hilarious.

Teens have always thought themselves smarter than they are. Glad I made you laugh.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]
In America, mainstream religion is declining. Fringe sects are thriving.

This is part of the growing polarization in this country. The "moderate center," whether in politics, religion, social mores, or whatever, cannot hold.

We're in for a rough time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why do you hope this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they will pray to the gooogle gods,    sad very sad

They will pray to the political correctness god, and to the god named "The Government"

Why do you hope this?
Because nihilism is awesome dude.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#26]
If you support gay rights than you have to hate religion. Extraordinary gay rights have been indoctrinated in middle/high schools and colleges for a long time now. So, if you support traditional marriage or traditional female/male relationships, you are guility of 'hate speech' and you are 'intolerant'.

Rubio: Gay marriage proponents pose 'danger' to Christianity

"If you think about it, we are at the water's edge of the argument that mainstream Christian teaching is hate speech. Because today we've reached the point in our society where if you do not support same-sex marriage, you are labeled a homophobe and a hater," the Republican presidential candidate said.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Most college professors publish "studies" and "statistics" showing exactly what they want them to show.

One of the most important things I learned from graduate level stats courses: most "studies" are bullshit. It was one of the basic tenets my first statistics professor made us learn. She was a leftist twat, but she was straight up about the utter horse shit in most "studies," "surveys," and "statistics."
View Quote

day 1 of advanced quantitative, our prof showed us how to support completely opposite alternative hypotheses using the same data set and valid analytical methods.  he then said...

"this is why people don't trust social science.  i keep track of every grad student who makes it through this program.  if i ever catch you doing this, i will ruin your professional career and smile while i'm doing it."
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#28]
It's all that Mexican demon's fault!

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Islam sure seems popular though.
View Quote

I admit, when debating taking my son to church, I had the thought that if I don't offer him something positive to fill the curious spiritual hole in his mind he might decide to fill it with Islam.  And it scared me.  Kind of like I'm scared he'll someday decide to try heroin.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong.  Governments have killed far more.  Evil men have killed the rest.  If your concept of God is some "magic mythical non-existent sky men"  then you are simplistic.  You don't have to believe, but your impression of God, Goodness and Grace is lacking.  I'd like you to cite your claims about mass murder, "cult like following" and extremism.  I'm supposing you will say something about the crusades and degrade from there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Teens have always thought themselves smarter than they are. Glad I made you laugh.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. Teens.

Hilarious.

Just like how adults have always tried and use the "Well I've been around for a while" to try and show their intellect, knowledge and world view.

When they're not all that "smart"

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A good trend and inevitable outcome, although the stated reasons for it leave much to be desired. Mankind's greatest hoax cannot die soon enough.
View Quote

You say "greatest hoax" as if humankind has somehow been cheated out of some other way of being.  What in the name of western civilization do you mean?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Just like how adults have always tried and use the "Well I've been around for a while" to try and show their intellect, knowledge and world view.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hilarious.

Are you trying to make an argument that teens are more intelligent than adults?

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

already is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

already is.

Yep.

If they were abandoning Church for Objectivism....that would be one thing....

They won't.....

Now, personally, I am for seeing every church, every synagogue and every mosque and every temple in this nation EMPTY!  I'd love to see humanity abandon God en masse.....but not for one second do I think it's going to lead to anything good.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Are you trying to make an argument that teens are more intelligent than adults?  
View Quote

In certain aspects that pertain to their Generation, yes, yes they are.

Teens from every generation have grown up to give us great things in this world.

I don't find it shocking that the people who are growing up in the most technologically advanced time we know, are having a hard time relating to something such as religion.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're missing out on a whole chunk of geography/history with those few examples, on top of being plain wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well why don't you enlighten us then?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wrong.  Governments have killed far more.  Evil men have killed the rest.  If your concept of God is some "magic mythical non-existent sky men"  then you are simplistic.  You don't have to believe, but your impression of God, Goodness and Grace is lacking.  I'd like you to cite your claims about mass murder, "cult like following" and extremism.  I'm supposing you will say something about the crusades and degrade from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I will ask you is what they used as their justification.

Of course man is killing man.  My quip about it being a non existent magic man in the sky means simply that I don't believe in God, and can't hold him personally responsible for killing others if I don't believe he exists.

At the risk of semantics, I agree with you.  Governments have killed more people.  What I am pointing out is their common justification, tactics of gaining support, etc.

The underlying theme there is religion.  As I said, while it in and of itself may not be a killer of man, it is often used as the primary excuse to do just that.

Quickest way to gain support of the simpleton masses is to tell them the the God they believe in wants them to act in a fashion that evil aligns with.

Im sure if religion wasn't around, they'd find something else, but as it stands, its been the single most influential blanket ever to be pulled over a man's head and has been an excuse to kill since its inception.

You may not agree with me or believe this is right, but you sure as shit can't tell me its wrong.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Genghis Khan "a punishment from god" was just one figure from the past who put down modern day numbers in the name of religion. No one kills in the name of Atheism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but people generally don't kill for religion either. They kill out of hatred for religion.

Hitler killed Jews because he hated Jews. Jews killed early Christians because they hated Christianity. Christians killed Jews later on because they hated Jews. Roman pagans killed Christians because they hated Christianity...

So maybe everyone should focus on hatred of a particular religion as the cause of all those wars and not on the religions themselves.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#41]
These threads are always fun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They killed to conquer, daddy didn't hug them enough, mommy touched them, who knows.

BUT, they justified it to their followers by claiming their God said they could do it.  You know, the righteous thing.

I'll give you that there is a difference between those doing the act and the dumbasses they've convince that they're correct who inevitably follow in their footsteps.

I think you pulled your nose out too soon, but I won't call names.  Thats what real leftists do

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This does not make a religion, much less Christianity.  In fact, you just negated your argument when you said they had to "justify" with a "claim".  Whatever they did and whomever they killed, I doubt is was for other than economic reasons and it certainly wasn't because of God.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Starts with an A and ends with Frica.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This does not make a religion, much less Christianity.  In fact, you just negated your argument when you said they had to "justify" with a "claim".  Whatever they did and whomever they killed, I doubt is was for other than economic reasons and it certainly wasn't because of God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well neither of us can prove it, so I guess we're fucked.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No, but people generally don't kill for religion either. They kill out of hatred for religion.

Hitler killed Jews because he hated Jews. Jews killed early Christians because they hated Christianity. Christians killed Jews later on because they hated Jews. Roman pagans killed Christians because they hated Christianity...

So maybe everyone should focus on hatred of a particular religion as the cause of all those wars and not on the religions themselves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is one way to look at it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
Aithiesm has both beat injust the last century and a half.  Stalin starved 16 million  Ukrainians, Mao executed 30 or so million,  Hitler 7 or 8 million. All aithiests.

So you can stop with the "murdered by religions" crap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was reading a book one time, I forget the name of it...but it was about this group of wacked out Jews led by a crazy old man who believe God spoke to him. Of course he told them they had to conquer this entire valley because God said so. Then he went a little farther and said, not only do we need to steal this land, we have to murder every man, woman, child, and animal is some of these cities we take. They all went along with it, even when younger guys took over the group. They just accepted that it was ok to rape and enslave women and murder children. Damn, I wish I could remember the name of that book, it was an old one, a series of some sort. Anyway, just shows you how dangerous people can be when they believe they speak for God.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
These threads are always fun.
View Quote

Pretty depressing, actually.

Maybe I am naïve, but I always hoped we would be able to look past what someone does/doesn't believe in.  Threads like these make it seem like we are eating ourselves alive.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

People seemed to worship both pretty effectively during the Great Depression.

Is it just me, or does the president's portrait on living room wall just look really creepy cult-like?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Of course man is killing man.  My quip about it being a non existent magic man in the sky means simply that I don't believe in God, and can't hold him personally responsible for killing others if I don't believe he exists.

At the risk of semantics, I agree with you.  Governments have killed more people.  What I am pointing out is their common justification, tactics of gaining support, etc.

The underlying theme there is religion.  As I said, while it in and of itself may not be a killer of man, it is often used as the primary excuse to do just that.

Quickest way to gain support of the simpleton masses is to tell them the the God they believe in wants them to act in a fashion that evil aligns with.

Im sure if religion wasn't around, they'd find something else, but as it stands, its been the single most influential blanket ever to be pulled over a man's head and has been an excuse to kill since its inception.

You may not agree with me or believe this is right, but you sure as shit can't tell me its wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, in fact, you are correct, but that is not a reason to abandon religion.  You brought up a point I was going to make when you said that "they'd find something else".  Today, that something else is diversity, tolerance, progress, greed, the rich and all the other hot buttons of the left that are used to manipulate the otherwise benevolent nature of society.   A perfect example is to ask anyone, "you don't really want to push Gramma over that cliff do you.  No?  Then vote for me and my programs/pogroms."
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top