Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2015 2:20:52 AM EDT
I plan on working at a computer repair shop for about a year or so to gain some job experience before even considering it.

So what's everyone's thoughts on the idea of Working as a Cisco network technician in the Detroit area?

After all the last place you would expect college graduates or IT job immigrants to want to work at is Detroit.
It's usually places such as Seattle or California where you would expect them to want to work at.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]

I left the D 15 years ago.  I don't regret it a bit.  Detroit is never going to recover in our lifetimes.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After all the last place you would expect college graduates or IT job immigrants to want to work at is Detroit.
View Quote

Industry in Detroit is nearly dead - which means that the IT job market to support it is scarce, and not getting any larger.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
But it's so cold!

Personally, I couldn't.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont know anything about IT. It would be a perfect place to film movies.
Hollywood could get a tax break.  They could build sets and let the locals
burn it down.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Detroit, or Detroit AREA.

Massive, huge, giant fucking difference.

Novi and Rochester Hills are fucking solid and in the Detroit area. Redford, Inkster, Garden City, shit holes. Detroit itself, obvious shit hole that only going even deeper in the shitter.

I moved out of Michigan altogether because I was sick of being harassed when registering handguns, along with outlandish taxes, shitty weather, and all sorts of undesireable shit. Miss the food though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Novi and Rochester Hills are fucking solid and in the Detroit area. Redford, Inkster, Garden City, shit holes. Detroit itself, obvious shit hole that only going even deeper in the shitter.

I moved out of Michigan altogether because I was sick of being harassed when registering handguns, along with outlandish taxes, shitty weather, and all sorts of undesireable shit. Miss the food though.
View Quote

Detroit area, it don't matter to me.  I just see a niche to fill.  I don't feel like moving to California with the neck to neck IT job competition over there. Sanj  didn't work his ass off to move from India to work in the US to live around Obama's sons.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm guessing that the inhabitants don't care very much if their internet works, but they are probably interested in taking whatever you have in your pockets.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:29:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Detroit area, it don't matter to me.  I just see a niche to fill.  I don't feel like moving to California with the neck to neck IT job competition over there. Sanj  didn't work his ass off to move from India to work in the US to live around Obama's sons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good on ya!!

Consider Grand Rapids. Hard.
Buncha damn Capitalist pigs, bloodthirsty conservatives, and honest ta goodness America loving Rednecks.
Unlike the South eastern shithole, GR is actually growing, and crime is low in comparison to most mid sized citys.
Plus there is the bonus of better chow, lower taxes, cleaner town, and better schools.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Food isn't that great. Many Polish, Hungarian, Italian and Slovac folks cashed in and took off. Pizza is still the best in the U.S. though. Despite what the New York and Chick-agains claim.

I'm looking forward to going back to Texas.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Food isn't that great. Many Polish, Hungarian, Italian and Slovac folks cashed in and took off. Pizza is still the best in the U.S. though. Despite what the New York and Chick-agains claim.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

True.

Living in Detroit is horrible.  Besides the murders and rapes there is a constant wave of minor crimes.  If you have a family (in the City) expect your cars to be stolen yearly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I would just say NO.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Guy at work is from Detroit, said if you make a wrong turn you are in trouble.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Rape murder arson and rape.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You said Rape twice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I did some central office(Telco) work in Detroit couple years back. It was all decommissioning and tear out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You said Rape twice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said Rape twice.

I think one of those rapes should've been armed robbery.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Detroit (metro area) is booming and jobs are everywhere if you have a desirable skill. The area is struggling to find talent. Don't believe the hype, we have recovered but if we admit it that means no federal recovery funds. It pays to have negative publicity.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm guessing that the inhabitants don't care very much if their internet works, but they are probably interested in taking whatever you have in your pockets.
View Quote

Once they find out who he works for, they'll be asking him for some free samples.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I plan on working at a computer repair shop for about a year or so to gain some job experience before even considering it.

So what's everyone's thoughts on the idea of Working as a Cisco network technician in the Detroit area?

It's usually places such as Seattle or California where you would expect them to want to work at.

View Quote

A whole year before you become a "Cisco tech"

Lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The correct order in the D is rape, murder, rape and then arson.

Covers up the evidence that way.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've gotta be at least part deluded to live there, and it takes all forms.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#23]
We have a friend's son that went to Detroit for his residency after medical school; he wanted to connect with his black roots. He was shot in the head during a car jacking on his way to work and now is in the vegetable patch.

I would consider other options.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#24]
The city of Detroit is a shithole as many others have said.  Traffic sucks and most roads are not in very good condition.

I go there for business and some of the suburbs are tolerable but I would not want to live there for an extended time.  The good news, the fishing is great not too far from there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Yeah, not sure how working at a PC shop installing ram and DVD drives is going to net him a couple Cisco Certs and the associated net admining experience, in a year, unless he's going to DeVry or something during that time.

OP: I started my IT career at a local PC shop as well, then moved into corporate IT support.  Worked my way up to server team, and bounced around a few companies.  Eventually left the field after 15 years.

You keep talking about all the jobs being in California, but what you're missing are the major IT and Telecom hubs in Kansas City and the Dallas area.  Unless you are born and bred in Detroit, I'd look towards one of those places over Detroit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I wouldn't. But I get you want to get experience, so could be a stepping stone.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Get some experience, update your resume, and then move if you're sick oof Detroit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#28]
The Detroit area has a pretty good arfcom crew.  If it were me(and it almost was a few years ago-gf at the time was looking at north Detroit for a job), I'd look at Macomb or Oakland Counties.

The suburbs aren't so bad of what I've seen. I only visit the city for the auto show.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Detroit is pretty much like any other large city.

The inner city is a war zone.
The suburbs are very nice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Industry in Detroit is nearly dead
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Industry in Detroit is nearly dead

This is incorrect.  Industry is flipping booming in the Detroit area.

In the short 12 mile commute I have every day, I drive past three automotive plants, six major defense contractors, and countless thrid party vendors and suppliers.

Chrysler, Ford, GD, BAE, Oshkosh Defense, Curtiss Wright, the GM Worldwide Technical Center, Kuka...and the list goes on.

I thought the same thing you do when I moved here, and my preconceptions have been thoroughly destroyed.  Downtown might be having some problems, but the greater Detroit metropolitan area is doing just fine.

Bottom line: if I was in the IT industry, the Detroit metro area would have countless opportunities.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Consider Grand Rapids. Hard.

View Quote

This.  Continued growth area.  Also, Traverse City.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bud, it's that way EVERYWHERE. You're going to be competing against Sanj in the D area as well of the rest of the country, plus he's willing to work for half what you are.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Industry in Detroit is nearly dead - which means that the IT job market to support it is scarce, and not getting any larger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2015/02/12/report-metro-detroit-tech-sector-hot/23304425/

OP there is a lot of IT work in this area and it pays well. I would definitely consider

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about IT. It would be a perfect place to film movies.
Hollywood could get a tax break.  They could build sets and let the locals
burn it down.
View Quote

12 Monkeys on SciFi is set in a post apocalypse 2035. Filmed in the D. No need for any set dressing at all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Detroit, no.  Detroit area, maybe.  I have 2 BIL's that work in the Detroit "area"(Ann Arobor, and Dearborn) and they like it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

He's not joking. In MI you need a handgun permit. That being said occasionally I travel to Detroit for work and have always had a great time. There are very nice areas and very bad ones. Cost of living is cheap and it wouldn't be a bad place for a single guy.

Have dinner at Slows followers by a drink at the Old Miami.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#39]
A former co worker just moved there from here in the Houston area and thinks it is great. He is working for Ford in Dearborn. He had a hard time finding a house however. The way he described the area, I would consider the move.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, on the pizza...^^^this guy right here knows what's up.^^^

But there are still other food joints around that are damned good, just got to know where to look. Some of the best lunch delis in the country too, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#41]
well when I was in iraq for a year doing that kind of job I got paid $250k
whats the hazard pay for detroit like?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#42]
At least you'll get a good chance to use all of those guns that you own...

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a year as a computer tech you will not get any job as a Cisco tech.  Completely different field.  Any other experience?  Certification for Cisco?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A former co worker just moved there from here in the Houston area and thinks it is great. He is working for Ford in Dearborn. He had a hard time finding a house however. The way he described the area, I would consider the move.
View Quote

One of my brother in laws work there, he buying a house now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Threadjack:

So, what would a Michigander need to know about moving to TN?

Thinking about a move South and the wife and I loved our vacations there.

End Threadjack.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Threadjack:

End Threadjack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Threadjack:

End Threadjack.

Chattanooga is nice and booming. Make 'Rockytop' your ringtone and you'll fit in.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Chattanooga is nice and booming. Make 'Rockytop' your ringtone and you'll fit in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Threadjack:

End Threadjack.

I loved what I saw of Chattanooga.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#48]
No handgun permit needed anymore, same as buying a long gun now.  Airguns are now airguns, not firearms and silencers are now legal.  The gun laws have dramatically improved in the last few years.  Auto industry is popping again now that our industry right sized and people are buying cars.  Suburbs are still as nice as anywhere in the country and city of Detroit proper is once again...attracting white residents.  City council is acting human, mayor is solid, police chief solid and they all play nice with the governor now.  We absolutely bottomed out in 2009 and we're crawling towards a new normal.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah no shit. I fucking hate NYC but they do make the best pizza
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are  a  SHITLOAD of Indian and Pakistani IT workers and engineers in the Detroit area. Also the largest Middle Eastern population outside of, well, the Middle East.  So definitely you will meet "Sanj", whoever that is.  For what it's worth, I've been very impressed with the techs I've met from that part of the world.

There is a lot going on downtown Detroit these days, job-wise.  The suburbs, particularly Oakland County, are very nice and totally different from Detroit in terms of environment and crime.

Gun laws are much better now too.  Full auto, silencers, maybe SBR/SBS (not sure if that passed), CCW with liveable restrictions (still need to work on that).  

It's not paradise, but it'll do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top