Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2015 12:15:24 AM EDT
What are some decent residential locks, ie deadbolt and keyed knob combo.

I was planning to get a kwikset smartkey set, but after seeing them get picked in 5 seconds and "hacked" in one second, I'm not too impressed.

I'm not looking for fort Knox, but I'd like to at least slow down the casual burglar. Trying to stay around $50-75/set, I've got 5 doors to do.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Medeco, like he said above.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Worth every penny!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2008/10/ap501-digital-door-lock/

http://www.sunnectlock.com/products_test.html

I installed Lithium AA batteries... and 3 years and still on the original batteries!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought my Schlage's were decent?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought my Schlage's were decent?
View Quote
Maybe a Schlage Primus. Regular Schlage is easy to pick.

Medeco FTW. I did my five doors with them. Roughly $200 apiece, depending on if you get single cylinder, double cylinder, or key captive.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
For your house?  There aren't any.  They're just going to kick the door down.  Burglars don't pick locks, they go around them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Medeco locks, they cost a little more than $50.00  
View Quote

Came here to post this.

I've had Medeco locks for 20 years....took them with me when I moved and reinstalled them on new doors.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#8]
If I sprung for the medeco deadbolts, would there be a need for me to have keyed for handles?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For your house?  There aren't any.  They're just going to kick the door down.  Burglars don't pick locks, they go around them.
View Quote

This
Reinforce the door frame and if the door has glass make sure the deadbolt is double cylinder.
At the end of the day you can reinforce your doors all you want but if a thief really wants in he will just go to the nearest window.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Skip the keyed knob, then you can afford decent deadbolts. I'd suggest schlage primus or schlage Everest. Medeco is really the best, but they're very expensive and a nightmare to deal with and get keys for, especially if your locksmith ever goes out of business. I'm a locksmith and I have NO locking knobs in my house(they're useless) and I use schlage b560 deadbolts with Everest cylinders, bump and pick resistant.

Medeco isn't worth the price point on residential, they'll kick your door down, smash your window in the back before they pick or drill your locks. Hardening your door frames against kicking is worth the time and money versus better locks.

Kwikset smart key is the god damned devil. Not only are they stupid easy to defeat/bypass they also break like crazy and lock you out of your own house even with the correct key.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

A benefit to Medeco and Schlage Primus is the headache it is to get duplicates if you have to hand out your key.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
They have to break the door itself...

http://www.amazon.com/Door-Stopper-Resists-Force-Protect/dp/B00007E7LN

The description reads like it was written by a member here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This
Reinforce the door frame and if the door has glass make sure the deadbolt is double cylinder.
At the end of the day you can reinforce your doors all you want but if a thief really wants in he will just go to the nearest window.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

This. I don't have expensive locks, but the fuckers pried open a window around back.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a Schlage grade 1 a few years back.  It was recommended to me by a locksmith.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I installed Schlage Grade 1 keypad locks in my new (old) house, mostly for the convenience.  I don't use any other locks on those doors.

It's the first step in my hardening project, which will include new solid doors in hardened frames, and 3M security film on all windows.  My windows are all glazed into the frames, so they'd have to jimmy the frames out to get in.

Hopefully the cops will be on their way by then...

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]
you really would need to do a full security check and upgrade to make it worth while to get upgraded locks.

first a metal framed security door so they can't just kick in your foam core door with the deadbolt secured with a thin strip of pine frame. Getting one with the screen/ holes to see out make sure you get a deadbolt with keys on both sides otherwise they can just stick a hanger through the holes and turn the deadbolt.

Next you need laminated security windows. Breaking a window is a poor choice for a burglar as it is noisy but most will go that route next if they see the security door. even then they can probably figure out how to pop the latches.

a real pro doesn't give a shit about any of that they might pick your locks or hack your garage door opener or pull up in a truck with a construction company sticker on it and sawzall a hole in the side of your house.

medeco lock picked in seconds
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#18]
When I'm bored at work I sometimes pick the locks around the office for fun.  Medeco is about as secure as you're going to commonly find, but they're pricey.  Otherwise just get a Schlage, et al and be happy.  I bumpkey our office locks and it only takes a few second to bypass them all....kwikset, schlage, etc.  Residential locks are anything but secure.  Thats what heavy gun safes are for :-)  Go to youtube and search "bumpkey" and see exactly how quickly that front door lock of yours can be bypassed.  It's eye opening.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#19]
As my great Grandpa would say "a locked door only keeps an honest man out".  I'm still diligent about keeping my doors locked though.  True security is in layers, w/ the last one being a firearm of your choice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
you really would need to do a full security check and upgrade to make it worth while to get upgraded locks.

first a metal framed security door so they can't just kick in your foam core door with the deadbolt secured with a thin strip of pine frame. Getting one with the screen/ holes to see out make sure you get a deadbolt with keys on both sides otherwise they can just stick a hanger through the holes and turn the deadbolt.

Next you need laminated security windows. Breaking a window is a poor choice for a burglar as it is noisy but most will go that route next if they see the security door. even then they can probably figure out how to pop the latches.

a real pro doesn't give a shit about any of that they might pick your locks or hack your garage door opener or pull up in a truck with a construction company sticker on it and sawzall a hole in the side of your house.

medeco lock picked in seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoISzlkmVdc
View Quote

I do have a few layers that I'm working on. I won't divulge details out of excessive secrecy, but I will have my bases covered.

I think I've got what I need as far as entry locks. I've made my choice and I appreciate all of the help!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Also take a look at these:

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, sort of. You don't want junk.

OP, Medecos are damned fine locks, but getting extra keys on short notice is a pain in the ass.

I'd probably go to a commercial door outfit and see what kind of locks they recommend.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]

This is the kind of stuff you want to invest in.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I bet fewer than .1% of burglars know how to pick a lock. Even fewer know how to hack one.

Secure your windows and door frames well before worrying about that.

If you do see a smart criminal, they're much more likely to use bump keying.

Even major brands like Medeco that claim to be bump-proof... ain't
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#25]
You can spend your retirement on fancy locks all day if you want but criminals will find other ways into your house, such as breaking a window, cutting a hole in your sheet metal garage door and going through the likely unlocked door into your house from the garage.

A central home security system with door sensors and glass break sensors go a long way towards stopping that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can spend your retirement on fancy locks all day if you want but criminals will find other ways into your house, such as breaking a window, cutting a hole in your sheet metal garage door and going through the likely unlocked door into your house from the garage.

A central home security system with door sensors and glass break sensors go a long way towards stopping that.
View Quote

frankly the security system isn't gonna stop shit either. alarm or not most thieves are gonna be in and out in just a few minutes. The monitoring company i had took longer than most thieves will spend in a home just to call me if my alarm was tripped. Then factor in the response time. Most likely all the police or armed security will be able to do is secure the place and file a report.

My best advice would be to make sure your shit is covered by insurance.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:42:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

medeco lock picked in seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoISzlkmVdc
View Quote

Unless OP lives in a cabinet, he should be looking at something other than a cam lock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top