Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2015 12:05:36 AM EDT
So the specs 1972 xlch,  ran and ridden last fall.  It set over the winter and wet sumped on 70wt oil.  It refuses to start I've kicked it 100 times tonight,  has fuel and fire.  Stock bendix was rebuilt last year and was pull and cleaned this week.  It will "pop" on starting fluid.  Any ideas thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Rebuild the carb... fuel has dried and turned to a varnish like goo someplace and replacing parts only will not clean it out.

I had the same issue with an ATV. I missed a vent/jet two times before I found the problem.

ETA:

I have let a fuel injected BMW R1100R set in storage for 2 years, and it started right up after installing a new battery.

I have an ATV with a carb and I start it up every couple of weeks and let it run for 5 minutes (after rebuilding the carb every year for 3 years of letting it set through the winter), and I never have a dried out carb to make me crazy! (I so wish I would have gotten a ATV with fuel injection.)
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel you pain still,  from 35 years ago when I bought an  73 XLCH that had been sitting in a guy shed for 10 years.     I kicked that fucker so many times trying to get it started that first time the kickstand left several 20 foot stripes down the driveway 1/4 inch at a time.

Clean the carb out real good and check the timing.  It'll start a little easier if you advance the timing a degree or so from recommended  ( don't put shit gas in it after that )
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I feel you pain still,  from 35 years ago when I bought an  73 XLCH that had been sitting in a guy shed for 10 years.     I kicked that fucker so many times trying to get it started that first time the kickstand left several 20 foot stripes down the driveway 1/4 inch at a time.

Clean the carb out real good and check the timing.  It'll start a little easier if you advance the timing a degree or so from recommended  ( don't put shit gas in it after that )
View Quote

It's always been a 5/6 kick bike for me,  but after tonight I'm really thinking kick start only sucks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a 72 xlch.

Pull the carb and disassemble and clean.

Is it popping through the carb or the pipes with starting fluid?

ETA. Probably time for a new check valve or bypass kit.

Did you pull the plugs and try to kick all the oil out?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Through the pipes it will run for 2/3 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
See if the plugs are wet,if so dry and clean then kick the oil out of the cylinders

I have the same bike and this has been my problem when it sits awhile

If not,clean the carb

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I was told; if I did not have anything nice to say, not to say nothing at all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
First things first. Clean the carb. Set the timing from static, make sure you have the same points gap on both lobes. Set the advance with a test light, one with a tone works awesome. Adjust pushrods.

It's so easy (if you don't know how), ironheads need pushrods adjusted from time to time. If you don't know how, watch these...

timing

pushrods

If you need more help, email me at terdferguson13 at gmail. I had a '74 that I ended up fixing EVERYTHING on except for splitting the cases. I'm pretty familiar, lol.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#9]
If the carb is clean and you're getting good clean fuel and spark, it will probably be timing related. Check your point gap (I always used a business card) and make sure your timing plate is good and tight. Find TDC and put a meter on continuity and hook one side to ground and the other side to the point contact. Advance the cam a tiny bit, and you should drop continuity. If not, adjust the plate until you do.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:08:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
See if the plugs are wet,if so dry and clean then kick the oil out of the cylinders

If not,clean the carb

View Quote

I've pull the plugs they are  "damp" with fuel no oil in the cylinders,  the cases are full though, like no oil in the tank full. It's puking oil out the overflow tube onto the ground as I kick.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's puking oil out the overflow tube onto the ground as I kick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If not,clean the carb

It's puking oil out the overflow tube onto the ground as I kick.
Mine does that when it sits and I start it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've pull the plugs they are  "damp" with fuel no oil in the cylinders,  the cases are full though, like no oil in the tank full. It's puking oil out the overflow tube onto the ground as I kick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not,clean the carb

The puking out oil is normal because you let it sump. Let it happen, just make sure the tank stays full. It'll do when you get it running too (if you haven't kicked it all out by then, lol). Your problem is most likely timing. Watch those two videos I posted above and do exactly like they say and you will be happy. And make sure your battery is good and the petcock is on, lol.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not,clean the carb

the oil puking out is a damper valve in the pump letting oil seep in the crank case when the engine is off. Not a big deal, that will stop usually once the engine is running. But likely will happen again if left sitting very long.

Not how it is designed but not detrimental to running.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Turn the fuel off when you're kicking to empty the sump. And leave the plugs out. Don't wear nice jeans the first ride when you get it running.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#15]
And if you plan on keeping this bike for a bit, get a factory service manual and a parts catalog. Ironheads need more attention than oil changes and the service manual will tell you how to do it. The parts catalog is good for showing how things go together. You can still get both at the dealer, those will be the only "parts" you can get at the dealer for your bike besides oil. Computer says anything old is "obsolete". Find a good local indy shop if you need engine work and can't do it yourself.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And if you plan on keeping this bike for a bit, get a factory service manual and a parts catalog. Ironheads need more attention than oil changes and the service manual will tell you how to do it. The parts catalog is good for showing how things go together. You can still get both at the dealer, those will be the only "parts" you can get at the dealer for your bike besides oil. Computer says anything old is "obsolete". Find a good local indy shop if you need engine work and can't do it yourself.
View Quote

Factory manual is a fucking must, when it comes to any motor vehicle! I may have an extra one for my 73XLCH!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:31:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep just got back from my garage and I do have a spare HD factory repair manual for the 1970-1978 XL.

OP if you need it PM me and I will send it to you!
Free of charge!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:45:02 AM EDT
[#18]
When you get it running, avoid leaving it sit for very long even with stabilizer in the fuel.

I put Sta-Bil in my fuel injected motorcycle, didn't start it for six months, fired right up.

My snow blower, however, gummed up like a mofo.  

Whatever they are putting in gas these days is just pure hell on a carb.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks everyone for all the info.

Ive had this bike for several years. I have a original factory manual for the bike and a clymer manual for that matter, from when my dad had Ironheads and a couple basket cases years ago when I was a kid.  I'm not really a stranger to these bikes,  this one is just doing a fantastic job of aggravating me.  As for the wet sump issue, I know its not that big of a deal just more of a mess than any thing,  Its a very slow seep, like I said more of a mess and annoyance than any thing.

Tomorrow evening I'll recheck the timing and push rod adjustment.  The carb should be good as I pull and cleaned it this week before attempting to start the bike and the petcock is brand new, installed tonight.    

Edit: No fuel was left in the tank or carb/fuel bowl over the winter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Did it start???
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I had to work late this evening, I haven't messed with it today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top