Poll incoming, a simple yes or no.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
well it work for Obama to make liberals into sheep
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Psych lecturer in college tried to hypnotize us. All I could think was "when will this bitch stop her blabbering?"
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Not at all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#5]
pseudoscience
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pseudoscience
View Quote

Along with polygraph tests.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
My son, my son.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131011094955/conan/images/0/09/Thulsa_Doom_(Hypnosis_Stare).jpg
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
As a guided meditative state?  Yes.

As in barking like a dog and taking your clothes off, because someone said the trigger word?  Fuck no.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The Texas Rangers have people who are trained in hypnosis
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#11]

ALL GLORY

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:00:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I've seen it done to other people I know, on more than one occasion....but , like, they're idiots and all.  I don't think I can be hypnotized.  G'head...try....I dare ya'
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:10:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I did thoroughly enjoy two movies where hypnotism was the basis for the story:

Office Space
and that Kevin Bacon horror movie.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:36:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
pseudoscience

+1, but a significant portion of GD believes in supernatural phenomena of one kind or another.  Everything from Bigfoot to Miracles to Demons has a believer here, it is no surprise that the herp derp extends to hypnotism.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a hypnotist here, they did a Q&A thread awhile back.  I was shocked that insurance could be billed for hypnotism.  

I think it's quackery at best.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#16]
"Gonna find my baby gonna hold her tight, grab some afternoon delight..."
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:50:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

"Gonna find my baby gonna hold her tight, grab some afternoon delight..."
View Quote

Do you like apples?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:58:14 AM EDT
[#18]
It is funny (and very sad) that there are people here who believe in various types of magic.

eta- 'ponchsox' thread
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#19]

I know a dude that tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking and got hypnotized. He never touched another one, and wouldn't go around people smoking.        

It works on some folks.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:06:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I try to watch it at our States Fair every year
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:14:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

This. Hypnotherapy did me a lot of good.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#23]
No.. Well yes.. Look at our country. you said a simple, " Yes or No"
Iam going with, YES.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:41:58 AM EDT
[#24]
My oldest was about 10 and we took him to a hypnotist for warts.As the guy was almost done my son opened his eyes and smiled, he was faking going under... pissed the guy off... but a week later all the warts started falling off. I used it to sleep better in the 80s with tapes and it helped and cut my stress down. I also had a friend do a regression, he was an amateur, but real good. I was under. The person has to let them selves go under and it creates an altered state of mind
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Some dude on AGT got Howie Mandel to shake hands with him and some other people.
Up until that point I was on the fence.   Now I believe in it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some dude on AGT got Howie Mandel to shake hands with him and some other people.

http://youtu.be/f9dFLXV9hs0
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:00:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for ratings

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:00:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He probably flipped his shit when he saw the show later.
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/howie-mandel-public-obsessive-compulisve-disorder-fear-germs/story?id=9153966
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:05:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good for ratings

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for ratings

If it was something that no one knew about it might be a gimmick but howie has not shaken anyone's hands in 8 or more years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If it was something that no one knew about it might be a gimmick but howie has not shaken anyone's hands in 8 or more years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for ratings

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I know a dude that tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking and got hypnotized. He never touched another one, and wouldn't go around people smoking.          

It works on some folks.

View Quote

We might know the same guy. Dude dogs me out about smoking to this day. I should follow his lead.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Hypnosis is something you can observe, so it would be hart do argue it doesn't exist.

When you say "believe in" do you mean like, "do you think it can make you stop smoking," or "do you think comedians can instantly knock you out and act like a chicken?"
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#33]
As much as I believe in dowsing, or Jesus.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Nope
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Hypnosis is something you can observe, so it would be hart do argue it doesn't exist.

When you say "believe in" do you mean like, "do you think it can make you stop smoking," or "do you think comedians can instantly knock you out and act like a chicken?"
View Quote
Its real.  Those who don't think so have not studied the subject.  I could point you to some scary studies your tax dollars paid for on the subject.  People who have done postdoctoral studies have spent millions on studies think its real, but maybe some basement dwelling neckbeards know the truth..

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Altered State of Mind is what I call it, so yes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#37]
We were going to hire a hypnotist as the entertainment for our squadron Christmas party until our Flight Surgeon heard about it and told us that if you are ever hypnotized, you will be removed from flight status.

So, while many may think it's bogus, apparently the Air Force doesn't (at the time, anyway).
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#38]
WTF?

people still think its some kind of parlor trick?

you know that feeling when your half asleep and half awake; where you are pretty much asleep but you can still hear things going on around you?  thats almost exactly what hypnosis is, and feels like.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes, but it does a lot less than what people claim.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It works on some folks.

View Quote

It sounds like he wanted to stop smoking.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:02:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Nope.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We were going to hire a hypnotist as the entertainment for our squadron Christmas party until our Flight Surgeon heard about it and told us that if you are ever hypnotized, you will be removed from flight status.

So, while many may think it's bogus, apparently the Air Force doesn't (at the time, anyway).
View Quote

The AF figured if you were gullible/stupid enough to fall for that shit, you shouldn't be flying.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#43]
My college psych teacher was a hypnotist. I was not impressed, but could see how it works on some people. It's all about suggestion, self-control, and social expectations.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My college psych teacher was a hypnotist. I was not impressed, but could see how it works on some people. It's all about suggestion, self-control, and social expectations.
View Quote

It seems like it works on simpletons?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People who are "suggestible" aka gullible or stupid, one or the other.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As in barking like a dog and taking your clothes off, because someone said the trigger word?  Fuck no.
View Quote

I'll go with this since the question is not well-defined.  I "believe in hypnosis" much like I "believe in meditation"; I'm confident that it exists as a phenomenon.

Can it be practiced, experienced, and observed?  Yes.

Can you benefit from it?  Maybe.

Is it magic or mystical in some way?  No.

Fiction portrays the phenomenon about as well as that of a "silencer" (which is to say "complete mischaracterization").
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes.  It works..... If you let it.  No one can make you do something you don't want to do with it.  It's not like you're stuck in a trance.  But if you let your mind go.... Just run with and the hypnotist knows what they're doing then yes,  it works.

I had a guy convince me he had tied a balloon to my wrist and it was pulling my arm in the air..... It really felt like there was a balloon pulling my arm in the air. If I just let go,  my arm would lift up.

Of course I could have said no..... But it was kinda cool to feel the mental suggestion work.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

+1, but a significant portion of GD believes in supernatural phenomena of one kind or another.  Everything from Bigfoot to Miracles to Demons has a believer here, it is no surprise that the herp derp extends to hypnotism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
pseudoscience

To be fair, Bigfoot, if real, would not be supernatural.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#49]
I was hypnotized in a group demonstration. I thought it hadn't worked until I got a command to look at my feet and found myself in two places at once: lying flat on the floor, and sitting up to see them. I was really still on the floor.

The feeling was like the first time I fired a handgun, a revolver in the classic one hand stance. Pull the trigger, and suddenly my arm is pointing skyward and I hadn't moved it. Had to think and move the gun back to point at the target.

Arfcom demonstrates its shortcomings once again. Experience. Education. Willingness to learn.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#50]
No but I believe some people believe in it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top