Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2015 9:48:09 PM EDT
The following will either make you sad. pissed, or likely both, so fair warning....

Customer came in and sold a small box containing his dad's WW2 items. There were some patches and ribbons that I can resell to collectors, my thinking is it is better to have the items go to a collector then the trash bin. Now where I am stuck is the box also had the dad's dog tags and Good Conduct medal (his name was engraved on back).

Maybe I am being foolish, but I can't see selling the tags and medal as it is more personal to the man's memory. Throwing them away is obviously out of the question, so any suggestions on what to do with the tags and medal? Donating to a local museum was brought up but most likely they would be thrown in storage and forgotten or thrown out at a later date.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any good suggestions but it's pretty damn sad that his son didn't want them.

I'd love to have my dad's dog tags and purple heart.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
sad very sad
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Any way to find some other relatives that give a damn?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know, maybe a memorial or historical display?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#5]
what a rotten son
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

No. In the shop is a display cabinet filled with various odd and unique items that are not for sale. I think I will just place them in there until?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Devil's advocate here, maybe the dad was an asshole??
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its called a Good Conduct Medal.  They just don't give those to assholes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Having never known the guy, that may very well have been the case. You make a good point, not everyone got along with their fathers.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't have any good suggestions but it's pretty damn sad that his son didn't want them.

I'd love to have my dad's dog tags and purple heart.
View Quote

This, I am far down on the list but if no-one else in my shit family wants My Granddad's war effects I will take them and shadow box them, if I ever hear of an uncle or cousin tossing them I don't know what I would do, I only know it would make me personna non grata in my family, I am thinking something involving skunks... or a boot party or something
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Check with local vet orgs, Amer Legion, VFW, maybe they have displays.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

I thought about that, it's still pretty sad one way or the other.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
if no one wants them give them a dignified burial, like toss into the ocean after a moment of silence and thanks for his service
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Check with local vet orgs, Amer Legion, VFW, maybe they have displays.
View Quote

Good idea.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Right.  "Veteran" is not a status that overwrites "asshole" or "criminal" or "child molester".
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Get ahold of the local VFW, and Legion.

They belong with someone, or a group, that gives a shit, seeing as how there isn't any immediate kin worth a damn.
Maybe a grandson or Grand daughter...or other relative does, and just wasn't given consideration.

It's sad really.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

if no one wants them give them a dignified burial, like toss into the ocean after a moment of silence and thanks for his service
View Quote

Another interesting idea. Being in Kansas the ocean is kind of out of the picture, but a burial might be a good answer.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The following will either make you sad. pissed, or likely both, so fair warning....

Customer came in and sold a small box containing his dad's WW2 items. There were some patches and ribbons that I can resell to collectors, my thinking is it is better to have the items go to a collector then the trash bin. Now where I am stuck is the box also had the dad's dog tags and Good Conduct medal (his name was engraved on back).

Maybe I am being foolish, but I can't see selling the tags and medal as it is more personal to the man's memory. Throwing them away is obviously out of the question, so any suggestions on what to do with the tags and medal? Donating to a local museum was brought up but most likely they would be thrown in storage and forgotten or thrown out at a later date.

View Quote

Find a picture of the vet, make a shadow box, and put it on the wall.  Dust periodically.

These things go away over time, and little can be done to stop it.  Find some napoleonic medals today, or trophies from the Hundred Years' War.  Conserve them yourself - it is totally reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
If space isn't an issue, I'd save them forever, and let the son know that you'll have them when he wants them back. He may not understand it today, and he may never, but if he does, or if grandchildren do, it would sure be nice if you still had them. We hear stories all the time about family being "reunited" with lost medals, memorabilia, etc. You could be a part of a happy story.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got all my Dad's stuff.  It gets buried with me when I'm layed to rest next to him.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should do some research on the dad. In my opinion. If you cant find anything they should be treated with respect. PM the name, state, and DOB, I may be able to help with criminal and military record.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No. In the shop is a display cabinet filled with various odd and unique items that are not for sale. I think I will just place them in there until?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't think the museum will take them, and don't think you can find any other family members, The display case is the best suggestion yet. I have a hard time thinking none of the family would take them.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#25]
They are dog tags, really of no value or worth to anyone other then the original owner or a family member. Sad the family didn't want them but past that, they are not something people really want unless they were owned by someone famous.

GCM, they pretty much handed those out for breathing and showing up in one piece.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I think those medals ought to be kept in a place of honor.  If I had them, I would preserve them as best I could and I would proudly display them with my most prized possessions.

His medals would mean something to me because he was obviously a good man--a patriot who answered the call when he was needed.

If the man was alive, he would be welcome in my home.  And in death his medals and his memory would be welcome too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Depending on the size of your town.  See if you can find him in the cemetery.  Then place or bury them on his grave just under the sod.  That's what I would do.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Wish I had my grandpas dog tags Got some of his stuff but not those
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Does the veteran have any other family members that would appreciate receiving these? Can you find them using social media?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all assholes get in trouble for it or get caught.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not leave them there?   :)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Frame them and display them in your shop.  Even if he was an asshole, his service deserves some respect.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Take all of them and make a shadow box... ask the kid about his dad... try to get a picture of him if possible...then gift it to the kid...or keep it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So for three years he kept his nose clean, after that maybe he fell into the abyss!!??
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#35]
There are a lot of "named items" (uniform sets, etc.) on the collectors' market. These must have had some sentimental value to someone at some time, but now all the individual association does is enhance the monetary value (in some cases). Sell the dog tags along with the named medal as a set.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Frame them and display them in your shop.  Even if he was an asshole, his service deserves some respect.
View Quote

How about Tim McVeigh,/Nidal Hasan, Charles Witman, Ivan Lopez? I could name some more. I don't respect any of those bastards!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I donated some of my cousins artifacts to the Air Force museum in Dayton Ohio.  They did not want his medals as they
said they had more than enough of them.  The rest of his effects are going to go to the college he graduated from.
They were thrilled to get them. He retired as a Maj.  and had the DFC for his actions over North Vietnam.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:02:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Another interesting idea. Being in Kansas the ocean is kind of out of the picture, but a burial might be a good answer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Put them in a time capsule of sorts and bury it in a local park, near a memorial if possible. At some point one of us metal detector guys will find it and then go on a quest to find an heir, just dont bury it too deep or near any metal object or sidewalk

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Post up some photos. I have collected stuff like this for a long time and love seeing it when it crops up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol...yes they do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top