Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2015 9:09:04 PM EDT
We have a Simmons memory foam that's about five years old that we are pretty sure is causing both of us to have soreness and lack of sleep.  Neither of us is especially stressed out or unhealthy.  However, the memory foam has a pronounced divot that is very uncomfortable.  

We are considering a Sleep Number of some sort.  What do you those you who have one think of it?  Would you spend the money again to get one?  What would you say is your most and least favorite attribute for it?  I'm a side sleeper while my wife is a stomach sleeper.

Would love to hear what actual owners have to say, especially if you've had one for a couple of years or so.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You bought a knock-off Tempurpedic, so why not a knock-off air mattress?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been in furniture sales for 15 years. I'd strongly urge you to not get a sleep number bed. Adjustable beds use pumps and an air bladder.  They almost always leak, and they will always rot/break down.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
All I can speak to is staying in a number of hotels that featured them.  A pretty good marketing idea on the part of the company, IMO.

I'd say they're good if you are sharing the bed with a spouse who really prefers a different mattress firmness, but if you can agree on a regular mattress, I'd still go conventional.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I returned mine before the 30 day trial was up...hated it.

A Duxiana is what I'm buying next.  Pricey yes, but MAN it's perfect...
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have slept on one exactly 2 nights in a hotel.  Fucking hated it.  Had to have it soft to lay on my side but if I turned on to my back my ass would bottom out.  To get my ass off the bottom of the bed it would be too firm to lay on my side.  It sucked massive donkey balls and I will never buy one.

Have had a real deal Tempurpedic for the last 11 years and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Ours is over 10 years old, no leaks, pump works just fine even though we never use it.  After sleeping on 5 different hotel beds in 10 days, I realized how much I like the sleepnumber.  Still miss the old no baffle waterbed.

Only problem is that you tend to roll to the middle between the 2 air bags, we put a blanket or two in the low spot until it disappeared.  Don't pay full price, keep an eye open and they will put them on sale now and then.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Had one going on two years now. It's ok. My wife and I cannot agree on mattress firmness so it seemed like the only choice. You will sink toward the middle, but that seems to happen on any mattress anyway. There are no leaks at all. I'm not convinced they're worth the money though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Going on over 12 years here on a Sleep Number bed and it has been perfect. My side at 50 and hers at 35 so we are both pleased with firmness. It works well for side or back sleeping. It does not heat up under you and there have been no leaks. When it fails will get another.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Mines ok, had it for two years and no leaks or issues. Mattress is really light, so if your planning on some action the mattress will move.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going on over 12 years here on a Sleep Number bed and it has been perfect. My side at 50 and hers at 35 so we are both pleased with firmness. It works well for side or back sleeping. It does not heat up under you and there have been no leaks. When it fails will get another.
View Quote

My experience exactly, 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Ours is also about 10 years old.  No leaks and pump works fine although it is rarely used.  Wife likes it and I absolutely loathe it.  Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it.  But I am married so I have to just deal with it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me @ 7 years.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Had ours about 9 years.  No regrets.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]
We have a Temperpedic Rhapsody. It's held up extremely well in the 5 years that we've had it. Took some time to adjust to it but it has helped tremendously with back pain. A little pricey but worth it, I think.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Have had ours for a few years. We don't fully appreciate how nice it is until we sleep somewhere else, we always miss our sleep number. Get a good one and do it when they are on sale.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Isn't there a Penn and Teller "Bullshit" episode about what a farce the sleep industry in general, and the mattress industry in particular is?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I've regretted spending the money. The only thing Mrs Militia and I know for certain is that 100 is our sex number

Next mattress will be a high-quality standard mattress. No form, no air, no pumps, just a really good bed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Had one for 9 years. No back pain and generally comfortable for us. I hate that if you get close to the middle between the two mattresses, you sort of fall into a ditch. Me and the wife sleep arms length apart, otherwise we sort sink into the middle. Ours has a foam topper on it, and is a little warmer than it would be without, but never uncomfortably warm.

I'm not sure we will get another one. May try something else next time we buy a bed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a real tempurpedic
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We have a Simmons memory foam that's about five years old that we are pretty sure is causing both of us to have soreness and lack of sleep.  Neither of us is especially stressed out or unhealthy.  However, the memory foam has a pronounced divot that is very uncomfortable.  

We are considering a Sleep Number of some sort.  What do you those you who have one think of it?  Would you spend the money again to get one?  What would you say is your most and least favorite attribute for it?  I'm a side sleeper while my wife is a stomach sleeper.

Would love to hear what actual owners have to say, especially if you've had one for a couple of years or so.
View Quote

Same exact situation here. Switched from Posturepedic to Sleep Number a few months ago. I've had a definite improvement in back and hip pain. Initially the improvement was minimal, but then I figured out I do better if I just leave the bed at 100. We paid a lot extra for the movable base and after about a month we stopped moving it pretty much. The most important thing is to be able to try different firmess levels to find one that gives you relief. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been sleeping at 90 for about 15 years, my wife is a 60 ish sleeps like the first night we bought it. After large temp swings( seasons) you need to reset it and we did have to get a replacement platform ( warranty) so far best money I have spent. If this one ever quits we will get another

Eta fuck innerspring torture devices that you spend a couple hundred on and have to replace every 5 years cause there is a cave in in the middle
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Worst money I ever spent

After two years the damn thing started falling apart. They also start pro-rating the warranty at two years. after four years, I got a conventional Simmons mattress.

PM me your address and I'll send you my old one for the cost of the freight charge.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I tried one at a mattress store, was not impressed.  Went with the Tempur-Pedic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Take two air mattresses, put them side by side. Sounds comfortable doesn't it? My parents returned Thiers. When one would adjust their side, it would affect the other side. It was dueling air mattresses all night. Grandparents went through the same thing with thiers as well
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had mine for about 6 months and love it. California king FTW!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#26]
We got one about 2003.  It felt like we were sleeping on a heating pad.  The rubber bladder radiated our body heat back and fried us all night.  We had to stack 2 sleeping bags between us and the bladder to get any rest.  We had a free return so we used it.  Tried a very expensive lambs wool pillow top next.  Was fine for about 2 months then it felt like we were sleeping on rocks.  Finally went to a temperpedic.  Had it for over 10 years now with no regrets.  Sleep better on it than anything else.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#27]
We've had ours for seven years. Love it.

We're setting up a 2nd home on the other coast and bought another one to ship there.

Any further questions?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Benefit: I like a firmer mattress, my wife sleeps in a pit.

My side kind of domes out, so my feet are never on the mattress. But my wife has back problems so I got used to it. She owned it when I moved in. My old bed (I thought it was perfect) was a firmish mattress with a pillow top.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top