BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So, what happens to people that own  all mineral/water rights on their property?(as an example a farmer/rancher in the southwest who has specific deeded water rights?)
View Quote

All of those people just got schooled ... you own nothing in the kings land, the king owns you!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

Ayn Rand

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Water is the key to life. Control the water, you control life.

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

Ayn Rand

Bingo
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Somali Warlords had a good understanding of this.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
*goes outside to take a piss*

Dominion that puddle, asshole...
View Quote

klinc drops the mike and walks offstage.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

All of those people just got schooled ... you own nothing in the kings land, the king owns you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, what happens to people that own  all mineral/water rights on their property?(as an example a farmer/rancher in the southwest who has specific deeded water rights?)

Yeah, that might get some people shooting....
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever see the movie "Three Days of the Condor".

There is a relevant scene at the end of it:

https://youtu.be/1XKFQVJlmZY

Higgins: No. It's simple economics. Today it's oil, right? In ten or fifteen years, food. Plutonium. And maybe even sooner. Now, what do you think the people are gonna want us to do then?

Turner: Ask them.

Higgins: Not now — then! Ask 'em when they're running out. Ask 'em when there's no heat in their homes and they're cold. Ask 'em when their engines stop. Ask 'em when people who have never known hunger start going hungry. You wanna know something? They won't want us to ask 'em. They'll just want us to get it for 'em!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
*goes outside to take a piss*

Dominion that puddle, asshole...
View Quote

EPA: Gladly, peon! Huthuthuthuthuthuthuthut....
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty much old news, just depends on the definition of waterways.  Army Corps of Engineers has had control of waterways since forever and control of wetlands since 1972.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is this, fucking Dune?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I yearn for the day that the EPA gets cut down to about 1/8th of its current size.

Until then it's not going to get any better for anybody trying to do anything that might remotely impact the environment.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

so can I collect rain water in a 55 gallon barrel or not?

FBHO
View Quote
It's now the kings water peasant .

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Great, first blood for oil, next water.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is old news, as a wetland scientist working in the field for over 15 yrs.  ACOE regulates all........
View Quote

many years ago a guy who had a large piece of land state he would never put a pond on his land.  It would give the  gov an open door to fuck with you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pretty much old news, just depends on the definition of waterways.  Army Corps of Engineers has had control of waterways since forever and control of wetlands since 1972.
View Quote

You fail to understand that previous challenges got whacked down......this is getting run through like Obamacare, even a few fed agencies were against this.  Please look into the ramifications.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't it used to be "navigable" waterways?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is old news, as a wetland scientist working in the field for over 15 yrs.  ACOE regulates all........
View Quote

I do the same job.
+1 to this.  Very old news.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I do the same job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do the same job.

What did he sign today that's not the same?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Ted Cruz and Rubio introduced the Defense of Environment and Property Act to deal with stuff like this. I have no idea if has a chance of passing though, or if it would actually change anything.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]
article pings my BS meter: inflammatory headline, no substance.  as pointed out by several posters, USACE has run navigable waterways since forever.  i want to see text of this rule, and am disturbed that even the opposing voice (scalise) doesn't offer any.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#21]
What is the definition of water to be exact? And what if there is another Prohibition in the future that creates puddles, streams and run off of booze? Do they assert dominion over that booze?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it used to be, but somewhere along the line, they redefined it to anything that feeds into navigable waterways.  Government feels compelled to grow itself to fit all available space.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That makes a lot of sense - I figured something along similar lines.  But in that story in question they gave him permits, then revoked them and have apparently been fighting with him in court for 10 years.  If it's a safety issue, one would think (well, hope) it wouldn't take 10 years to correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-

Most states have laws on the books about how many acre feet of water you can collect.

It's not because collection of water, but because of the danger down stream if your holding facilities break down.  I was in charge of the dams at my community I live in (we have 3, including one registered dam) - we had to register and maintain our dam and response plan in case of failure. That was because of the road way and houses down stream, if it were to collapse.

20 acres of water, is a lot of fucking water and can do a substantial amount of damage.

That makes a lot of sense - I figured something along similar lines.  But in that story in question they gave him permits, then revoked them and have apparently been fighting with him in court for 10 years.  If it's a safety issue, one would think (well, hope) it wouldn't take 10 years to correct.

In my case, we have permits that need refiled every 3 years.  Then a state inspection done every other permit refiling. (So every 6 years.)  This includes core samples of the dam area to make sure there is no undermining and also to make sure that the emergency run off drain is still working properly. (Big huge fucking valve.)  

The association before I moved in, had to spend $23k fixing the lower of the two dams and the spill way, as it was being undermined pretty bad. We're still not in total compliance - requires a 36in pipe wrench to turn the valve and a pipe in the pipe wrench.  As well the top of the dam isn't a smooth as they would like it to be,  nor mowed as often as it should be. (Mowed once a year vs. 5 times a year.)  

Nit picky, but they didn't start fining us yet, or remove our permit and make us drain the lake.

Edit:

By google maps measurements and my calculations  the dam I live by holds back about 135 million gallons of water.   Probably a little less, but in that ball park.  About 41 acres of water.

For him to hold 13 million gallons, at least in the state of Ohio, would require a permit. As it'd be over 3 acres of water.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]
THE WATER WARS HAVE BEGUN!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Water is the source of all life.7/10 of the earth is water.Why, do you realize that 70% of you is water?"

"And that as human beings,you and I need fresh pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids"

You beginning to understand?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember when you could live here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Molon Puddle!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#28]
White House Senior Adviser Brian Deese said the new rule is "based on common sense"

"The rule is about certainty," he said. "The status quo is ripe with confusion. It does it in a way without getting in the way of farmers or forestry. The rule is about clarity. We're going to work to try to be as clear as possible about how this rule is implemented. The only people to oppose rule are polluters who are threatened by the rule."
View Quote

Question the government, and you are branded as a criminal. Because common sense.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How long until the first/next Clive Bundy incident? Certainly before 0 leaves office I would assume.
View Quote

It already started 2 years ago when the EPA claimed authority over our state regulating it's own surface water, despite previous agreements, and exemptions.

One neighbor, lost 2 years production and over a Million bucks, because one of the Mexifornia Econazi activists, filed a complaint based upon Google earth images, showing him cleaning out 50yr old ditches, and clearing trees, to plant a field that had been fallow since the 50's. He also lost a fuckton of of topsoil to run off, due to the stop work order.
Best part is, he had all the State permits, and the EPA jumped the chain of authority and filed charges.

He ignored things, until the State issued all the legal Paperwork, and the Feds Threatened to seize his accounts. From there, his Financial Co-Op, His Lawyers, and Farm Bureau took over against the State, and the State went at it with the Feds....while he bled $$$.

A couple Million in losses, a qaurter Million in additional compliance costs  later, he's finally getting around to planting.
He's big enough that he can absorb some of the losses, but still took a HUGE hit, and had to sell off a couple smaller producing fields to keep afloat.

Now if a guy has a stopped up drain tile, he has to file to get a permit, and wait at least 30 days while fields flood and Bushes and Trees die.

Figure standing water will kill trees and bushes in our orchards inside of 3 weeks, and loss of production after two. Then figure production of one Bush is valued at 40-60 bucks a year, times 6-8 bucks a bush, plus 7 years loss until replacement reaches full production, and a Population of 1200 Bushes per acre, and an annual cost of 6-1200 bucks an acre for just maintaining until full production.

Yeah,  
Nobody has time for that shit, or the EPA Bickering with the state bullshit, and nobody is playing anymore.
The reason there hasn't been a Bundy around here, is the Feds just haven't shown up yet.

They will choose one of the small to mid sized guys, and show their ass one of these days.
We are all waiting for it, and many are already hurting from the Fed Trade policy's and the Mexifornia assbags killing the market, with imports developed by Federal funding in the last 4 years, plus now the west coast bone smugglers, got approval to flood the markets with imported Chinese shit. Quite a number of guys are past their limit of tolerance, and already have little to nothing to lose.

The latest info us Growers got, as of last week, was the EPA decided to hold off on their "interpretation" of all surface waters being under their control due to "Connectivity", and is still limited to "Navigable".
It looks like that shit went out the window, and Obongo really does want to start the next Civl war, by executive order.

Wanna buy a Couple Farms?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#30]
This is starting to remind me of the middle ages when the nobles owned EVERYTHING and the peasants barely existed.  

Hell, the peasants were not even allowed to go out and snare a rabbit to feed their starving families as ALL the game and hunting rights belonged to the nobles.

If they went and hunted a deer we are talking "death penalty" for the peasants.  

Ask a board member who lives out west what happens if they take it upon themselves to dig a water well on their own land or catch rain runoff in a barrel.  

And YES Uncle Sam has satellites watching EVERYBODY out there on their ranches and farms.  

Oh, and don't even think about putting a dam on a stream that runs across your property either.  

People who live in big cities have no idea what is going on out there.

And NO this is not Alex Jones tinfoil bullshit either.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#31]
OK and water is wet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#32]
How long until we are all fined for daring to allow Dear Leader's cool, clean
Water touch our filthy peasant lips?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How long until we are all fined for daring to allow Dear Leader's cool, cleanWater touch our filthy peasant lips?
View Quote

Around the same time people stop believing dubious stories when they confirm their perceptions.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

How long until the first/next Clive Bundy incident? Certainly before 0 leaves office I would assume.
View Quote

Yup.

In other news, the federal gov't is setting out watering holes in the desert for illegal

Aliens to use at same time destroying watering holes that cattle use.....you know...our food?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is starting to remind me of the middle ages when the nobles owned EVERYTHING and the peasants barely existed.  

Hell, the peasants were not even allowed to go out and snare a rabbit to feed their starving families as ALL the game and hunting rights belonged to the nobles.

Ask a board member who lives out west what happens if they take it upon themselves to dig a water well on their own land or catch rain runoff in a barrel.  

And YES Uncle Sam has satellites watching EVERYBODY out there on their ranches and farms.  

Oh, and don't even think about putting a dam on a stream that runs across your property either.  

View Quote

this is why i find the study of water so interesting--the far left and the far right wind up saying very similar things, except about different people.  for example, in the late '70s, an extremely wealthy guy bought up land on both sides of a tributary creek to the beaverhead river in MT.  despite clear law to the contrary, he built a weir (think of a subsurface dam) across the creek in order to prevent anyone from canoeing "through his property".  the stream was not his property, but this didn't stop him.

the state got involved, but he had enough money to jam the thing up in court, preventing anyone from using the public stream in the meantime.  then the USACE got involved, and the weir came out with a quickness.  

so this particular "noble" thought he had the power to get one over on the peasants, because his wealth put him above the law.  this happens constantly with water issues.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I have named my septic tank "Lake Obama" in his honor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
this is why i find the study of water so interesting--the far left and the far right wind up saying very similar things, except about different people.  for example, in the late '70s, an extremely wealthy guy bought up land on both sides of a tributary creek to the beaverhead river in MT.  despite clear law to the contrary, he built a weir (think of a subsurface dam) across the creek in order to prevent anyone from canoeing "through his property".  the stream was not his property, but this didn't stop him.

the state got involved, but he had enough money to jam the thing up in court, preventing anyone from using the public stream in the meantime.  then the USACE got involved, and the weir came out with a quickness.  

so this particular "noble" thought he had the power to get one over on the peasants, because his wealth put him above the law.  this happens constantly with water issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In MT now, anyone can access any stream to within a certain distance of the centerline regardless of private ownership.  This is what happens when you try to Lord it over people.  There are a lot more voters than there are landowners.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In MT now, anyone can access any stream to within a certain distance of the centerline regardless of private ownership.  This is what happens when you try to Lord it over people.  There are a lot more voters than there are landowners.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

interesting.  USACE policy is that the stream bed is public property up to the non-flood high water mark.  water is the one area where i'm in favor of substantial government involvement, because so many people try to take advantage wherever they can.  the market works very well as a regulatory tool in most areas, but water is not one of them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering the quantities of potable water required to continue with modern life and the scarcity in areas that most need it, it's not an unreasonable statement.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#41]
If you like your Koi pond you can keep your Koi pond.

FBHO
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you just quote the tortoise from Rango?  

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This could be as big of a power grab as the corrupting of "interstate commerce".

Imagine what they can tell you can and cannot be done.
View Quote

It is an incremental step under an already commenced power grab every bit as big, but commenced under the grant of federal jurisdiction over navigable waterways.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

It doesn't stop there.  Part of the economic stimulus package was a big contract to update the photomaps for cities.  Planes with photomapping equipment flying over cities, updating those maps every few years.

Some guy in the suburbs decides to build a shop in his back yard, and doesn't bother with getting permits?  Used to be that he only had to worry about a neighbor reporting him.  Now the city can pull out the photomaps from various years and compare them, then check for permits to cover any changes.  

Here, the county parcel maps show each and every visible structure (houses, barns, even small sheds), even if those structures are not visible from a public roadway.  There's a cabin on the other side of the fence from my land, that has been there since at least the early 1970s, and I have seen lights on in that cabin, so I suspect it is wired for electricity, but it does not appear on the county parcel maps (it's under the cover of several large trees).
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#45]
His Imperial Lordshipness experts dominion over ALL things!

Hail his Mediocrity!

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh well state regs were already precluding me from using a spring to create a pond on my new property as it would be to close to a brook that might hold spawing trout

FAC
FBHO
FALLGOVT
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
FBHO and all.

But I thought fed's already controlled all wet lands and water ways?

Why the fuck else have I been buying a FEDERAL duck stamp for years?  
View Quote

Until now the rule had been that the feds controlled all navigable waterways.  Not too many creeks, ditches, ponds seasonal streams and puddles that the Corps of Engineers could claim control of under that justification.  This lets them claim every watercourse and probably peoples' swimming pools, too.

So how long before people start filling in all those swimming holes they've dug on their property?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#48]
SO I went out to the back yard and pissed into a muddy heel print, waiting for feds to show up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have named my septic tank "Lake Obama" in his honor.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#50]
. . .  in a sweeping move to assert unilateral federal authority.
View Quote

Can everyone please stop referring to our national government as a "federal" government?  National is a more accurate term, especially in cases like this.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top