BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Headlights have one function, exhausts have more than one function.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The physics fun has been almost as good as I expected!

Light also
"radiates in wave patterns in all directions. The physics behind it is not up for dispute."
but oddly enough we find headlights pointed forwards in the direction of travel.  Hmmm, wonder if it has anything to do with REFLECTION or WAVEGUIDES?

I don't see anyone arguing that for effective road illumination one use a device pointed in the exact opposite direction of travel simply because there is detectable light in the direction of travel.  So sure, "loud" pipes are louder in front of the bike than "quiet" pipes are, but directing the sound to the rear of the bike is not what one would do were the actual goal to increase the sound to the front and sides of the bike.  Ergo, it's clear that "loud" pipes aren't designed for the purpose of increasing the sound to the front and sides of the bike....

It's also generally true that people obey maximum intensity and beam pattern/direction regulations for headlights so as not to cause a dramatically unsafe road condition or disrupt the peace of people sleeping in their homes.

Even if there are a few asshole posers with HID lamps in their ricers, generally people aren't rolling down the highway with their offroad lights turned on.

Motorcycles, shit, it seems like damn near every gay pirate cosplayer on a hog has significantly-louder-than-legal pipes.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Follow up question:

Do bumper stickers and roadside signs that say "Start seeing motorcycles" and distract your attention from driving (even if only momentarily) accomplish anything other than making the people that work for the "charity" shit tons of money.

I would stipulate that it is more likely for you to accidentally run over a biker whilst reading a "Start Seeing Motorcycles" sign than if the sign did not exist in the first place. Furthermore,  it's not like someone will have an epiphany just by seeing the text and be like "oh shit, I'm actually supposed to pay attention to the traffic around me? Hallelujah I am a better person and no man need fear me anymore!"
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going with no. I just saw a Prius almost merge directly into a Harley on the way home. The guy almost got sandwiched into the jersey wall. He wasn't obnoxiously revving the Harley at the time but I could damn sure hear it over my radio 5 car lengths back. Man was he pissed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Saying loud pipes save lives while riding in shorts and a t shirt with no helmet is the sign of a retard.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Follow up question:

Do bumper stickers and roadside signs that say "Start seeing motorcycles" and distract your attention from driving (even if only momentarily) accomplish anything other than making the people that work for the "charity" shit tons of money.

I would stipulate that it is more likely for you to accidentally run over a biker whilst reading a "Start Seeing Motorcycles" sign than if the sign did not exist in the first place. Furthermore,  it's not like someone will have an epiphany just by seeing the text and be like "oh shit, I'm actually supposed to pay attention to the traffic around me? Hallelujah I am a better person and no man need fear me anymore!"
View Quote

No more or less than electronic scrolling signs designed to speed up traffic flow by alerting you to merge sooner than two feet in front of the upcoming cones actually causes people to just slam on their brakes to rubberneck and read the sign, then use the ending lane as a high acceleration path to get in front of the next five cars because HOLY SHIT, I'M IN A HURRY!

'Distractions' or not, 20% of people are idiot assholes.  It's a good thing driving a car is a really simple task with expensive consequences for fucking it up, or it'd be even worse.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Awesome post, the harley hater fudds will completely ignore it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Light also
"radiates in wave patterns in all directions. The physics behind it is not up for dispute."
but oddly enough we find headlights pointed forwards in the direction of travel.  Hmmm, wonder if it has anything to do with REFLECTION or WAVEGUIDES?

I don't see anyone arguing that for effective road illumination one use a device pointed in the exact opposite direction of travel simply because there is detectable light in the direction of travel.  So sure, "loud" pipes are louder in front of the bike than "quiet" pipes are, but directing the sound to the rear of the bike is not what one would do were the actual goal to increase the sound to the front and sides of the bike.  Ergo, it's clear that "loud" pipes aren't designed for the purpose of increasing the sound to the front and sides of the bike....

Yet you can hear them as they approach the blind spot of a traveling car on a highway, so regardless of the efficiency of the design reality still exists and they could alert someone that there is another vehicle in their blind spot.  

Has the question changed from the original question to "are loud pipes primarily made that way to alert drivers ahead using sound"?  because the answer to that question is no, however they do on occasion provide an ancillary benefit that is pretty obvious to anyone.   Again if the question is to be changed to "is the loud noise created by pipes worth the probably small benefit to alerting drivers being passed" I suppose thats up for debate.  Whats not up for debate is that you can certainly hear a loud ass motorcycle 10 ft from your car regardless of how efficient you feel they transmit sound forward.

And it was even made by a crotch rocketeer without loud pipes(ok maybe medium loud, but I just bought them to reduce weight and add power)...  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Saying loud pipes save lives while riding in shorts and a t shirt with no helmet is the sign of a retard.
View Quote

Let's throw in deck shoes (him), sandals (her) or flip-flops (both).
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A quiet Porsche or Lambo gets more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just cam here to say

Loud PIpes Get Pussy

A fat wallet gets the most.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That dives me nuts.   Every damn college student  here is running around on a shitty moped in $2 flipflops.   Moped or not, that's still asphalt at 40mph.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just cam here to say

Loud PIpes Get Pussy

LOL wut?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
But, But, Expansion chambers
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember the story of the guy who dumped his bike during an anti-helmet rally, bonked his head and died....... I guess his pipes weren't loud enough.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Defensive driving saves more and irritates less.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I remember the story of the guy who dumped his bike during an anti-helmet rally, bonked his head and died....... I guess his pipes weren't loud enough.
View Quote

I'm really waiting for one of these guys to explain how loud pipes help them in single vehicle vs object collisions. (which is how most riders die around here)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has the question changed from the original question to "are loud pipes primarily made that way to alert drivers ahead using sound"?  because the answer to that question is no, however they do on occasion provide an ancillary benefit that is pretty obvious to anyone.   Again if the question is to be changed to "is the loud noise created by pipes worth the probably small benefit to alerting drivers being passed" I suppose thats up for debate.  Whats not up for debate is that you can certainly hear a loud ass motorcycle 10 ft from your car regardless of how efficient you feel they transmit sound forward.
View Quote

Well that's a fair point, but the pro-loud-pipe crowd seems to be advancing the claim that loud pipes are *CREATED* to produce sound forward - and I disagree most strenuously.  

You make a fair point about some forward noise being an ancillary benefit - and I claim it's not significant.  For example if doubling the volume of the pipe (measured at the back) results in 10% louder (measured at the front) then I don't think we should say the improvement is statistically significant.  I mean, bulky clothes can prevent drowning once in a blue moon, but we don't try to claim that bulky clothes save lives, right?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I drove my Harley with stock pipes for many, many years.  Plenty of folks would roll down their window and put their ear closer because they couldn't hear my bike and wanted to.  It was almost as if they expected to hear the rumble.  I would suspect those folks were freedom loving Americans.

There are just too goddamn many Prius driving, latte sipping, purse swinging, hyper sensitive, Ritalin popping, communist twinkle toed cocksuckers in the world today.  It is almost to the extreme of 'hands up, no loud pipes'.

You people need to check yourselves and go back to posting in your tranny threads.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I fail to hear the difference between dumbass loud bikes, or rice burners with coffee cans.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
sometimes

To clarify, sometime yes, and sometimes no.

Counter question;
Is bullspit vulgar?
View Quote

This. Last week I had my window open driving on the highway. I was getting ready to change lanes and didn't see anything in my mirror. I heard the chopper coming before I merged over and waited another second. Then I saw the bike. When they go by at 1 AM blaring, it makes me think, why I din't just run him into the barrier
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They sound like faggotry  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope. But they sound cool!
They sound like faggotry  

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow. you fucks are uptight! I don't own a motorcycle but I like to hear one rumble down the street every now and then, just like a nice V8 Mustang or Corvette with nice exhaust or a big fucking truck! I don't hear squealing tires or see burnouts  nearly enough anymore. It goes along with the pussification of America IMO. Everyone should do a loud burnout while firing a full auto weapon with rock music blaring at least once in their life. 'Murica! Just not at 3AM in residential
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow. you fucks are uptight! I don't own a motorcycle but I like to hear one rumble down the street every now and then, just like a nice V8 Mustang or Corvette with nice exhaust or a big fucking truck! I don't hear squealing tires or see burnouts  nearly enough anymore. It goes along with the pussification of America IMO. Everyone should do a loud burnout while firing a full auto weapon with rock music blaring at least once in their life. 'Murica! Just not at 3AM in residential
View Quote

I would have a beer with you, sir.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
When I see a loud pipe douche wear hi-viz, good armored gear, a full face, auxillary lighting and ride outside of big packs of fail, I'll take the argument that they're being proactive serious.

Mostly, pipes project the sound in entirely the wrong direction to help with what's the overwhelming method of meeting the pavement in traffic - left turner oncoming.

I like honesty, and honesty is "I like to make a lot of noise". At least own that shit, and don't insult everyone's intelligence.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It's also generally true that people obey maximum intensity and beam pattern/direction regulations for headlights so as not to cause a dramatically unsafe road condition or disrupt the peace of people sleeping in their homes.

Even if there are a few asshole posers with HID lamps in their ricers, generally people aren't rolling down the highway with their offroad lights turned on.

Motorcycles, shit, it seems like damn near every gay pirate cosplayer on a hog has significantly-louder-than-legal pipes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Light also

What are the laws regarding noise level? Is there a dB level?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
And it was even made by a crotch rocketeer without loud pipes(ok maybe medium loud, but I just bought them to reduce weight and add power)...  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Light also

Yet you can hear them as they approach the blind spot of a traveling car on a highway, so regardless of the efficiency of the design reality still exists and they could alert someone that there is another vehicle in their blind spot.  

I have a fake Porsche Harley and I bought my exhaust for the same reason. 2>1 ftw

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just cam here to say

Loud PIpes Get Pussy
View Quote

Having seen some of the skanks on the back of bikes, I don't think that's something to brag about.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No more or less than electronic scrolling signs designed to speed up traffic flow by alerting you to merge sooner than two feet in front of the upcoming cones actually causes people to just slam on their brakes to rubberneck and read the sign, then use the ending lane as a high acceleration path to get in front of the next five cars because HOLY SHIT, I'M IN A HURRY!

'Distractions' or not, 20% of people are idiot assholes.  It's a good thing driving a car is a really simple task with expensive consequences for fucking it up, or it'd be even worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Follow up question:

I like your sense of humour.

Punch Zuna for me please.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Over 50 years and 300,000 miles on street motorcycles.  I've done a lot of continuing education on motorcycle safety, numerous training classes in advanced motorcycle handling and experienced rider courses.

Do loud pipes save lives?  For the most part all they do is stir up anti motorcycle sentiment.  If a rider is directly beside a car, it will let the car know you are there, but that's not usually a big problem.

90% of the danger is in front of you, with loud pipes 99% of the noise is behind you.  Most motorcycle accidents occur when someone in front of you fails to yield, pulls out in front of you, or turns left in front of you, again with loud pipes, they point backwards 98-99% of the sound is behind you, the most danger to you never hears your loud pipes before an accident.

In all my time riding I've had two accidents, in 1968 I bought my 3rd motorcycle, my first NEW bike, a brand new Honda 350, a month or so later a drunk hit me head on.  I had been riding several years and several thousand miles, I was already a somewhat experienced rider, but that doesn't help much when a drunk comes around a corner on the wrong side of the road with his head down looking for his bottle that rolled under the drivers seat.  I didn't own a helmet, but after that accident I realized how close I came to a serious head injury, and for all purposes I haven't ridden a bike without a helmet since 1968. In 2005 I was traveling by bike, in Colorado, when a "lady" in a Jeep Cherokee who had her view of the highway blocked by a semi, decided that since she couldn't see oncoming traffic on the 4 lane highway, that it would be OK just to pull out and take a chance nobody was coming.  Well, I was coming, on a 900 lb ORANGE motorcycle, she pulled out across the 4 lane highway from my right, turning left across my lane, I hit her in her left front wheel, totaled my bike, but since I was wearing a helmet and full finger gloves my injuries were minor, the hospital sewed me up and sent me on my way.  It took a year and filing a formal complaint with the Colorado Dept of Insurance to finally get her  lousy insurance company to settle with me, but eventually everything was taken care of.

I'm a great believer in LOUD HORNS SAVE LIVES, if you ride a bike, get the loudest horns you can, they aren't perfect but they help.

View Quote
Those %'s seem off

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:What are the laws regarding noise level? Is there a dB level?  
View Quote

There is a federal limit of either 83 or 85dB. I can't speak for all areas of the country but in my town and surrounding communities that standard isn't rigidly enforced...unless you go out of your way to be a complete asshole. Get called in and you're going to be stopped.

I live on the main street of my town. It's a never-ending procession of bikes through here in any but the winter months, and the average Harley rider with straight pipes draws about as much attention as yesterday's newspaper if they short-shift and keep the engine off the rev limiter. Run stoplight to stoplight drags and odds are you aren't making it out of town without getting a noise cite - or worse.

As with most things, it's the clueless few that fuck it up for everyone else.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

There is a federal limit of either 83 or 85dB. I can't speak for all areas of the country but in my town and surrounding communities that standard isn't rigidly enforced...unless you go out of your way to be a complete asshole. Get called in and you're going to be stopped.

I live on the main street of my town. It's a never-ending procession of bikes through here in any but the winter months, and the average Harley rider with straight pipes draws about as much attention as yesterday's newspaper if they short-shift and keep the engine off the rev limiter. Run stoplight to stoplight drags and odds are you aren't making it out of town without getting a noise cite - or worse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:What are the laws regarding noise level? Is there a dB level?  

I found some laws that vary by state but I have never seen anything about a federal law, do you have a link?

The state I live in has no noise limit listed, I only checked a couple websites though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I just went outside and used an app to measure the sound difference in front of and behind my bike for all the dipshits who think that motorcycles only project noise behind them.  I'm not saying the absolute value is correct but this should provide a good representation of the difference.

Right next to my bike:

10 feet behind my bike:

10 feet in front of my bike:

Harley fags are harley fags, people who don't wear gear are irresponsible, and loud motorcycles are loud...from pretty much any direction.   I wear a full face helmet and jacket with reflective strips, not that my gear choices matter whatsofuckingever with respect to my choice of exhaust. I bought my 2>1 for performance, looks, and sound.  The fact that some kid putting a selfie on instagram might notice me sooner is only one benefit of my exhaust, but it is in fact a benefit.  It doesn't change my responsibility to watch the fuck out when I ride and never ever trust intersections or someone waiting to pull/merge onto the road I am on.  I don't fault anybody who rides from using things to be noticed more, that includes brake light and headlight modulators, hi-viz clothing, reflectors, and loud pipes.  

The real issue here isn't GD fudd's hatred for loud pipes, it's more a hatred for motorcycles in general.  Probably because most people consider them "too dangerous" or their wives would never let them buy one.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Look, it's pretty simple.

Sometimes they don't work.

Sometimes they do work.

Does that cover it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Not even comparable.  Shooting ranges, are a defined location they are not traveling around disrupting everyone everywhere.  

And if I want to shoot at my house in the evening, I'm a polite neighbor and use one of these.

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/liberty-mystic-lib-mystic-1.jpg

Put a good muffler on your bike, you don't even need a stamp!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone needs to define "loud".... there is a difference between not sounding like a puff machine loud and glass rattling loud.

IIRC, it was......if it upsets my tranquility you deserve to die in a ditch.

I'm sure those making that argument are logically consistent and apply it to shooting ranges.

Not even comparable.  Shooting ranges, are a defined location they are not traveling around disrupting everyone everywhere.  

And if I want to shoot at my house in the evening, I'm a polite neighbor and use one of these.

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/liberty-mystic-lib-mystic-1.jpg

Put a good muffler on your bike, you don't even need a stamp!

So one should allowed to shoot in their back yard only if its suppressed.  

Well, at least you're...consistent.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I

The real issue here isn't GD fudd's hatred for loud pipes, it's more a hatred for motorcycles in general.  Probably because most people consider them "too dangerous" or their wives would never let them buy one.  
View Quote

I don't hate motorcycles, was pretty heavy into BMW's when I was younger. Never  considered Harley since I plain just did not fit on them. When you get right down to it, it's not the machine but the  asshole on it that people cannot stand.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Nope, just like ambulances, firetrucks, police cars etc should not have sirens.  They just disturb people and therefore should be banned.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I don't hate motorcycles, was pretty heavy into BMW's when I was younger. Never  considered Harley since I plain just did not fit on them. When you get right down to it, it's not the machine but the  asshole on it that people cannot stand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I

Lumping all harley riders together makes about as much sense as lumping all gun owners together.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Neat thanks, I wonder if the state law has a dB limit higher than the federal which one they could enforce.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Nope, just like ambulances, firetrucks, police cars etc should not have sirens.  They just disturb people and therefore should be banned.
View Quote

If you can't figure out the difference between emergency vehicles warning systems (and their purpose) and loud pipes facing backwards on a bike, god help your critical thinking.

Well, fuck, it's water under the bridge you had a chance to figure it out before you posted.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm on my 20th or 21st motorcycle, been riding 45 years in total - 31 of that on street bikes; the rest on dirt - and I still don't want to hear you at 2AM with your unmuffled exhaust as you roar past my bedroom window, struggling to hit 40MPH on your mis-tuned CouchGlide.

It's ironic that - while listening to the scanner as I type this - our local LE dispatch is responding to a patrol car who stopped a motorcycle for (you guessed it) loud pipes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is the best way to survive an accident?  Don't be in one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I just went outside and used an app to measure the sound difference in front of and behind my bike for all the dipshits who think that motorcycles only project noise behind them.  I'm not saying the absolute value is correct but this should provide a good representation of the difference.

Right next to my bike:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/91nx2k/Mobile%20Uploads/F96A8BD8-9567-4773-B815-7FE586F95D5E_zpscv7qvshy.png
10 feet behind my bike:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/91nx2k/Mobile%20Uploads/7CC31228-0654-4B65-9B0F-0A3DC49E4B83_zpse0tnddn3.png
10 feet in front of my bike:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/91nx2k/Mobile%20Uploads/7AAB2DF5-E134-488F-9FC0-4B260F5809C3_zpstnne8vvw.png
Harley fags are harley fags, people who don't wear gear are irresponsible, and loud motorcycles are loud...from pretty much any direction.   I wear a full face helmet and jacket with reflective strips, not that my gear choices matter whatsofuckingever with respect to my choice of exhaust. I bought my 2>1 for performance, looks, and sound.  The fact that some kid putting a selfie on instagram might notice me sooner is only one benefit of my exhaust, but it is in fact a benefit.  It doesn't change my responsibility to watch the fuck out when I ride and never ever trust intersections or someone waiting to pull/merge onto the road I am on.  I don't fault anybody who rides from using things to be noticed more, that includes brake light and headlight modulators, hi-viz clothing, reflectors, and loud pipes.  

View Quote

10 feet in front of you? What was that supposed to prove? How about 500 feet in traffic?

The person that's going to turn in front of you won't hear you, or likely see you, especially not if you're not very proactive about being seen.

Choose your safety battles wisely, and in proper importance. Your exhaust should be way the fuck down on that list, man.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lumping all harley riders together makes about as much sense as lumping all gun owners together.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I

Who said anything about all?  SOMEWHERE in the country there is a HD without loud pipes.

When I find them,  I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Defensive driving saves more and irritates less.
View Quote

Not mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Over 50 years and 300,000 miles on street motorcycles.  I've done a lot of continuing education on motorcycle safety, numerous training classes in advanced motorcycle handling and experienced rider courses.

Do loud pipes save lives?  For the most part all they do is stir up anti motorcycle sentiment.  If a rider is directly beside a car, it will let the car know you are there, but that's not usually a big problem.

90% of the danger is in front of you, with loud pipes 99% of the noise is behind you.  Most motorcycle accidents occur when someone in front of you fails to yield, pulls out in front of you, or turns left in front of you, again with loud pipes, they point backwards 98-99% of the sound is behind you, the most danger to you never hears your loud pipes before an accident.

In all my time riding I've had two accidents, in 1968 I bought my 3rd motorcycle, my first NEW bike, a brand new Honda 350, a month or so later a drunk hit me head on.  I had been riding several years and several thousand miles, I was already a somewhat experienced rider, but that doesn't help much when a drunk comes around a corner on the wrong side of the road with his head down looking for his bottle that rolled under the drivers seat.  I didn't own a helmet, but after that accident I realized how close I came to a serious head injury, and for all purposes I haven't ridden a bike without a helmet since 1968. In 2005 I was traveling by bike, in Colorado, when a "lady" in a Jeep Cherokee who had her view of the highway blocked by a semi, decided that since she couldn't see oncoming traffic on the 4 lane highway, that it would be OK just to pull out and take a chance nobody was coming.  Well, I was coming, on a 900 lb ORANGE motorcycle, she pulled out across the 4 lane highway from my right, turning left across my lane, I hit her in her left front wheel, totaled my bike, but since I was wearing a helmet and full finger gloves my injuries were minor, the hospital sewed me up and sent me on my way.  It took a year and filing a formal complaint with the Colorado Dept of Insurance to finally get her  lousy insurance company to settle with me, but eventually everything was taken care of.

I'm a great believer in LOUD HORNS SAVE LIVES, if you ride a bike, get the loudest horns you can, they aren't perfect but they help.

View Quote

How is the horn going to help?  You just stated noise doesnt go forward....
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

At 3AM, it wakes my infant child up screaming, which saves them from a horrible death from SIDS.

Thanks, loud pipes!
View Quote

Most plausible.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Loud pipes blast 99% of their noise where the bike used to be.  At road speeds and when dealing with people inside closed vehicles, they are useless for "warning" anyone ahead of them of anything.

All they do is piss people off and make more non-bikers think all bikers are assholes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Who said anything about all?  SOMEWHERE in the country there is a HD without loud pipes.

When I find them,  I'll let you know.
View Quote

Earlier in the thread I mentioned a pair of acquaintances who geared up for every ride. Their exhausts were stock.

An area friend/coworker runs Bassani duals on his Road King and they're roughly as loud as the stock exhaust yet feature better extraction.

There are many more I know of personally besides these folks.

And then there's the lugnut who spent around $5k on audio upgrades for his Ultra Classic and proceeded to replace its exhaust system with a set of Long Shots.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm on my 20th or 21st motorcycle, been riding 45 years in total - 31 of that on street bikes; the rest on dirt - and I still don't want to hear you at 2AM with your unmuffled exhaust as you roar past my bedroom window, struggling to hit 40MPH on your mis-tuned CouchGlide.

It's ironic that - while listening to the scanner as I type this - our local LE dispatch is responding to a patrol car who stopped a motorcycle for (you guessed it) loud pipes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My bike has a muffler, and I wouldn't roar past a house at 2AM.  But then again I'm not a dbag.

Struggling to hit 40?  My bike makes about 130 at the tire and was tuned for hours with twin widebands, it's not a "couchglide" or even a bagger.  Makes sense that you generalize bike riders though, that's exactly what this whole thread is about... people talking a bunch of shit about something they know little about.    
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When I see a loud pipe douche wear hi-viz, good armored gear, a full face, auxillary lighting and ride outside of big packs of fail, I'll take the argument that they're being proactive serious.

View Quote

That argument is stupid and communist.

You're basically saying that a rider shouldn't be allowed the safety of loud pipes if they don't choose to wear the rest of the gear you mentioned.

Freedom dicates that if a rider chooses not to wear gear, but have the little bit of additional safety loud pipes provide, then so be it.  It's not an all or nothing edict.

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top