Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#1]
What those unfamiliar with the military might not understand is that LCpl Sterling is the one who pushed the issue. She isn't the victim here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Say what? WTF are you talking about. You damn sure can and should refuse "unlawful" orders. Did you serve with the SS or something? If you don't like religion fine but to say no order should be refused is fucking stupid. "Hey Lance Corporal, shoot all those citizens over there who won't give up their lawfully owned firearms and aren't bothering anyone!" "Aye Sir!" Dumbass
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
big chicken dinner fo dat, WTF

That'll happen if you act like a cantankerous bitch to NCO's and officers while refusing direct orders.  I'm 100% sure she was unrepentant to the end.

I knew people wouldn't get it.  It doesn't matter whether the verse was okay or not.  You don't get to refuse an order in the military.. She should have taken it down, and then gone through chain of command if she didn't like it.  She was stupid, and got what she deserved.

Say what? WTF are you talking about. You damn sure can and should refuse "unlawful" orders. Did you serve with the SS or something? If you don't like religion fine but to say no order should be refused is fucking stupid. "Hey Lance Corporal, shoot all those citizens over there who won't give up their lawfully owned firearms and aren't bothering anyone!" "Aye Sir!" Dumbass

Seriously?  Do I really have to make the distinction of "lawful order" in the context of this conversation?  Oh yeah, this is GD.  Yes, I meant lawful orders.  I'm pretty sure everyone here can distinguish the difference between removing a Bible quote and shooting citizens.  Telling someone to remove a Bible quote is a lawful order.  Even if it's not, everyone who has ever served knows that if given an order to do something THAT CAUSES NO HARM, you obey they order, then question it later.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The question being begged is why did the NCO have the standing to order her to remove a Bible verse from her computer?
Hope and change.

I don't care what she did after if the igniting situation was an order for her to remove a verse from her computer. It's PC BS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That'll happen if you act like a cantankerous bitch to NCO's and officers while refusing direct orders.  I'm 100% sure she was unrepentant to the end.

The question being begged is why did the NCO have the standing to order her to remove a Bible verse from her computer?
Hope and change.

I don't care what she did after if the igniting situation was an order for her to remove a verse from her computer. It's PC BS.

Because it isn't HER computer.  It was a computer owned and provided by the Marine Corps which allowed her, and likely others, to perform her assigned tasks.

When her NCO told her to remove it, she should have.  End of story.  Instead she wanted to cry "Muh Freedoms" and take this to an end where she thought she would either win or get to be a martyr.  Congratulations.  She got martyrdom.  I hope that and her BCD keep her warm at night.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Never worked with WMs but those nails look suspect.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/y3DEvLW.jpg
View Quote

I'm just surprised her hair is in regs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Damn, a BCD for refusing to take down a bible verse?
View Quote

fify
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]
if she was Muslim, she would still be employed,
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks pretty fucking happy for someone who's life is ruined and can't find work.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, it sure looks like the case the prosecution formed against her prospered.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks pretty fucking happy for someone who's life is ruined and can't find work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can find work with a BCD. Most civilians derive their knowledge of the military from TV and movies. They have no idea what BCD even means.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She can find work as a public speaker, ginning up outrage.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Everyone saying if she was a Muslim she wouldn't have been in trouble is fucking retarded and has no clue how the Marine Corps works.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You don't get to do what ever you want to do with a govt computer.
There is no freedom of religion and freedom of speech on govt computers.

She was stupid for not taking it down.
She was stupid for all the other shit it sounds like she did
She was stupid for not having an attorney represent her.
View Quote

This... But I also think that if she was of a different faith, it would have been handled differently....
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hope and change.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope and change.

Do you know how I know you've never been in the military?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it really against the military code of conduct to have a bible verse on your computer? I thought all military issue acogs  came with a bible verse? I am not religious  but also not anti-religion and it just seems to boggle my mind that actually would rate a courts Marshall level offense
View Quote

They used to...
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit. Should have been a Page 11 at most.

Seems like an IT bubba could have pulled the verse off the pc.

However, if she put it back, all bets would be off.

Edit: Ah, bad behavior in addition to the refusal. ZFG
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lol way more to that story than the article is telling us.
I know exactly her type she was a confrontational little bitch the listened to a barracks lawyer who told her to take it to courts martial and the chain of command would drop it. Her chain of command called her bluff and made an example of her. This has nothing to do with her religion she is just trying to use that to gain sympathy.
The case against her was built up through months of misconduct.

Really just seems like lots of Christians in here are looking to be persecuted so they can bitch about something.
View Quote

this..

shitbird Marine wanted to be a special snowflake...."special" status achieved...I hope she enjoys the bcd, she earned it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This... But I also think that if she was of a different faith, it would have been handled differently....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pure conjecture. We have no way of knowing either way.

Here is my read. LCpl Sterling was a problem child and a pain in the ass to her command and SNCOIC. This was what stuck. She chose to die on this hill. And her nails in both color and length are out of regs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#20]
It wasn't her computer. She did not own it.!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is it really against the military code of conduct to have a bible verse on your computer? I thought all military issue acogs  came with a bible verse? I am not religious  but also not anti-religion and it just seems to boggle my mind that actually would rate a courts Marshall level offense
View Quote

My guess is she requested a Court Marshal rather then a take the article 15 Non Judicial Punishment. As is her right.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#23]
A typical ARFcom thread where people make assumptions without knowing the facts.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What caught my eye is that she represented herself. That's telling.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

no, she wouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

That's an compelling argument.. My response..

Yep...
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Yep...

What are you basing your argument on? Cause it's wrong.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I knew people wouldn't get it.  It doesn't matter whether the verse was okay or not.  You don't get to refuse an order in the military.. She should have taken it down, and then gone through chain of command if she didn't like it.  She was stupid, and got what she deserved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is my read. LCpl Sterling was a problem child and a pain in the ass to her command and SNCOIC. This was what stuck. She chose to die on this hill. And her nails in both color and length are out of regs.

Indeed.

This has been a topic on a Marine forum for a couple of days now. A gunny who worked in her area and who was a witness in the court martial explained on that forum that there is a WHOLE lot more to the story than the Bible verse. Also, I've read enough of her appeal to confirm that the gunny is correct.

In a nutshell, this woman was essentially on permanent limited duty and attempted to use medical chits to shirk duty at every turn. It finally caught up with her, and the Bible verse thing is just one of many things she did to earn her Big Chicken Dinner.

Other charges on which she was convicted include failure to be at her appointed place of duty and disrespect of a superior commissioned officer, among other things. Essentially, she simply refused orders time and again after being given chance after chance to correct her own behavior.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

this..

shitbird Marine wanted to be a special snowflake...."special" status achieved...I hope she enjoys the bcd, she earned it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol way more to that story than the article is telling us.
I know exactly her type she was a confrontational little bitch the listened to a barracks lawyer who told her to take it to courts martial and the chain of command would drop it. Her chain of command called her bluff and made an example of her. This has nothing to do with her religion she is just trying to use that to gain sympathy.
The case against her was built up through months of misconduct.

Really just seems like lots of Christians in here are looking to be persecuted so they can bitch about something.

this..

Yep.

"She was found guilty of failing to go to her appointed place of duty, disrespect toward a superior commissioned officer, and four specifications of disobeying the lawful order of a noncommissioned officer."

The part in red alone is enough for me to say good court martial. She is drumming up one part of a big piece to hope that people will feel bad for her.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

no, she wouldn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, she wouldn't.

The biggest charge was failure to arrive at place of duty. That will get you in big trouble no matter what.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope and change.

You would be correct. OK. after reading through further, I get the "Just do it and file a complaint through the proper channels" bit. Still, her NCO is a douchenozzle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#32]
A Marine NCO doesn't give up on his subordinates easily.  I can say without any uncertainty that she was given multiple opportunities to correct her behavior.  

No doubt her leadership had enough of her shit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The biggest charge was failure to arrive at place of duty. That will get you in big trouble no matter what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, she wouldn't.

This.  And we have no idea what the details were surrounding that.

I'll bet the quote was one small piece of evidence in a string of events all tied, one way or another, to her insubordination.

Doesn't show for muster?  Disobeys NCOs and officers?  Arrogant and refuses to conform to the standards of behavior and professionalism expected of her?

How'd that work out for you?  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You would be correct. OK. after reading through further, I get the "Just do it and file a complaint through the proper channels" bit. Still, her NCO is a douchenozzle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope and change.

What you need to understand is this was going to a less severe level of punishment (Non Judicial Punishment) that said named Marine PUSHED to a Court Martial and then represented herself.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
“Search the Scriptures” (John 5:39)
– Washington Monument

“We have this day [Fourth of July] restored the Sovereign to whom all men ought to be obedient. He reigns in Heaven, and from the rising to the setting of the sun, let His Kingdom come.”
– Samuel Adams

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
– John Adams

“Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.”
– Benjamin Franklin

God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever.
– Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson Memorial

“We have staked the whole future of our new nation, not upon the power of government; far from it. We have staked the future of all our political constitutions upon the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves according to the moral principles of the Ten Commandments.”
– James Madison

We recognize no sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus.
– John Adams and John Hancock

“No weapon formed against me shall prosper.”
- Tiny little verse on a marine's desk.

View Quote

So a bunch of quotes by civilians vs a sort of Bible verse on a Marine's desk?   Not seeing what you're getting at here.    I'm pretty sure that the founding fathers were not under the UCMJ, whereas she WAS.

Disobey direct orders?  Yeah, that's a good way to get a world of shit in the military... Christian or not.   The stupid ACOG scopes have nothing to do with this, the contract from .mil did not specify that they have the verses on them, that was the doing of Trijicon.

I agree, this service member was probably an unrepentant pain in the ass and they found a way to get rid of her.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#36]

“Adding insult to injury, the government charged her with the crime of failing to obey a direct order because she did not remove the Bible verse,” Berry said.
View Quote

Adding insult to injury? That's the worst part.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Big picture:

In America, as founded, she would never have been given that "order".
View Quote

,in America as founded, a woman would not have been there,
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

The plight of the Lance corporal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You can find work with a BCD. Most civilians derive their knowledge of the military from TV and movies. They have no idea what BCD even means.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big Chicken dinner?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
She should have written the verse in Arabic or Spanish and no one would have cared.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Yep...

I didn't see the need to elaborate on what has been said repeatedly in this thread, but here it is again.  The verse had nothing to do with her punishment.   She flatly refused a direct order.  There are no varying degrees of compliance with orders in the military.  If you are told to do something by a more senior ranking person, you do it.  If you have a problem with it, you do it anyway, and work it out later.  There is no other option.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big picture:

Accurate.

But pretend it's General Washington telling one of his scribes that he appreciates the Marines' spirituality, but to please stop wasting valuable parchment by scrawling bible verses on everything.  And the guy says, "No."  How do you think that would have turned out?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I can guarantee the Bible verse wasn't her first run-in with her Chain-of-Command. In fact, given the wording of the phrase, I bet she did it as an attempt to thumb her nose at a CoC who was already trying to hammer her for a pattern of misconduct.

When she was read her NJP, she opted to have her case heard in a court martial. Having lost there, she's trying to have it heard in the court of public opinion and is only offering her religion as a defense, knowing that it will sucker in those who will close their minds when they hear her claim of religious persecution.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View Quote

She likely refused an Article 15 forcing the chain of command to refer it to Court Martial.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Accurate.

But pretend it's General Washington telling one of his scribes that he appreciates the Marines' spirituality, but to please stop wasting valuable parchment by scrawling bible verses on everything.  And the guy says, "No."  How do you think that would have turned out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big picture:

Accurate.

Very Badly

as others have said there is more to this story...

she was a fuck up the BCD was form a "Culmination" of things not this one event.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I sense something...something more to the story.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Pro tip: if you're going to get in trouble for quoting scripture, quote the scripture correctly.  She didn't.  

Evidently she was trying to some scripture that said weapons can't possibly defeat Jews.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wonder if they are going to send back all the ACOGs...
View Quote

A Modification Instruction was published and armorers removed the bible references on the ACOGs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Meh, she had it coming to her. ZFG's.

She wanted it to end this way.

Stupid 'fact' reporting/ opinioning (is that a word? ).

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#50]
this whole thread is
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top