Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Bicycles are allowed on parts of I-10 in the southwest where there are no other direct east-west roads.  Had to ride a few sections when biking across the country.

That said, I rode as far right as I could on the 10+ft shoulder and never had any problems.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is an old dupe (weeks and weeks ago).  I'm not surprised you didn't see the original.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is an old dupe (weeks and weeks ago).  I'm not surprised you didn't see the original.

This

You guys need to link it as  the doesn't really take one to the original thread.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I mean, why does this even have to be stated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

one place bikes don't belong is freeways

No idea. It wasn't a limited access highway and the speed limit was about 45mph. This was established in the last "discussion" on the video.

It is funny how some poster's hatred of cyclists will cause them to ignore reckless driving by a vehicle. Kind of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You guys need to link it as  the doesn't really take one to the original thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Meh. You know how much time and effort it takes to check a subscriptions page? Fuck that shit.
Got places to go and people to see...

Quoted:
No idea. It wasn't a limited access highway and the speed limit was about 45mph. This was established in the last "discussion" on the video.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1739027_Close_Call__Cyclist_VS_Semi_Truck_.html&page=2#i53092011
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Examples please.  Local to me the cities are adding bike lanes and painting them green to help differentiate the bike lane from the car lane - seen this in Santa Monica and NorCal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I pro-cyclist, but holy shit was the dumb.  Stay the fuck off the freeway.  You can't go fast enough to not cause a dangerous situation.

Probably see a lot more of this in California now that they are doing away with bike lanes and making entire traffic lanes "shared/bicycle priority" lanes on surface streets.

Can't/don't have the money to fix potholes and other decaying road infrastructure but plenty of available cash to restripe all the roads and put up signs to advertise that the Lance Armstrong wannabe crowd has right of way on these lanes.

Examples please.  Local to me the cities are adding bike lanes and painting them green to help differentiate the bike lane from the car lane - seen this in Santa Monica and NorCal.

Short of pulling still shots from my dash cam, I can't think of any way to show you an example.
But basically, they are removing the dedicated bike lanes and making the traffic lane closest to the curb a "shared" lane. By shared they mean cars can use it unless there are bicycles present.
In some other locations that have 2 lanes and no bike lane, they have removed a regular lane and replaced it with a bike lane with a 1/2 lane wide buffer.

Basically anything that the state can do to make it a PITA to drive a car they are doing.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]

I wonder where he is on the Learning Curve today?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#8]
in mother russia, biker runs over semi
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Basically anything that the state can do to make it a PITA to drive a car they are doing.
View Quote

The "state" - really cities/counties IME - are balancing the needs/desires of various users and car drivers are going to bitch about anything that impacts them.  Locally, the city created a bicycle corridor on a neighborhood side street that is parallel to the major surface street by replacing stop signs with traffic circles - the handwringing was entertaining to say the least.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This was done a few weeks ago, and the consensus is that the event took place somewhere in Europe or a
Russia. Bicycles are apparently legal to ride in that road, though it doesn't look like a good idea.

Someone got a physics lesson.
View Quote

Yep. This.
Was not a US freeway.I know this because Tyler knows this and we were driving the truck
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Should have been more specific but here is what that looks like..

http://dot.ca.gov/dist11/departments/planning/pdfs/2011_D11_Bicycles_On_Shoulders_Adjacent_Facilities_Map.pdf

Dedicated bicycle tour stuff.  Never seen a bike on the San Diego Fwy section from San Clemente to Oceanside.

Can't remember seeing any on 8 either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trucker went through the gore. Do we know for sure bicycles aren't allowed? Not defending the wisdom, only debating legality.

Not legal in CA to ride your bike on a freeway.  No low powered scooters either.  I did ride my bicycle about 200 yards on the freeway in San Diego by taking an on ramp, then an off ramp around Mission Bay.  It was a 100 mile organized ride, done every year from Irvine to San Diego.  We were OK'd to ride it but I'm not sure how it was safety checked during the day, maybe some signs on the freeway ahead of this stretch.  I've got a DS motorcycle and wouldn't take it on the freeway unless i had no viable choice.

From the California Department of Transportation:   "Of the more than 4,000 miles of freeways in California, about 1,000 miles are open to bicyclists. These open sections are usually in rural areas where there is no alternate route."

Should have been more specific but here is what that looks like..

http://dot.ca.gov/dist11/departments/planning/pdfs/2011_D11_Bicycles_On_Shoulders_Adjacent_Facilities_Map.pdf

Dedicated bicycle tour stuff.  Never seen a bike on the San Diego Fwy section from San Clemente to Oceanside.

Can't remember seeing any on 8 either.

You ride on roads in Camp Pendleton now for the most part, unless for some reason they close them to mere citizens.  Might still legal from Pulgas Gate up to San Onofre area.

Looks like they have finished barrier protected bike lanes on 101 in some areas.  There aren't many left but there are a few.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Parts of 46 east of Paso Robles are bike legal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Parts of 46 east of Paso Robles are bike legal.
View Quote

Not a freeway or interstate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes.

The lane he's entering only branched off following that exit.

Perhaps a poorly designed area of highway, but that truck driver fucked up hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did that truck cut over from the exit lane through the solid while line?

Yes.

Perhaps a poorly designed area of highway, but that truck driver fucked up hard.

Seconded.
The rider might be taking some serious risk for riding on that road, but the truck driver absolutely screwed the pooch.  The rider had zero fault in the actual collision.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake.

Watch the video.  For fuck's sake.  

Cutting over is exactly what the truck did.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Trucker should sue cyclists
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Holy shit. Not enough delta-v...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I can't help it these make me chuckle.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:50:13 AM EDT
[#20]
If you can't keep up with the flow of traffic you shouldn't be on the fucking road.

Riding 30 mph under everyone else makes you a dumb fuck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looked to me like they were riding single file, signaled, and moving left to a bike lane when the truck driver tried to murder them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So confident is he that everyone will just move out of his way that he doesn't even look before he starts to change lanes.

Only when he no doubt here's the sound of a large truck does he look at the lane he is wanting to merge into.

Wow

Looked to me like they were riding single file, signaled, and moving left to a bike lane when the truck driver tried to murder them.

Not arguing with a single thing you said.

Is it wrong that I giggled?

Txl
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:35:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Every law man writes, no matter how well written, is, and always will be trumped by the laws of physics and nature.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:10:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you can't keep up with the flow of traffic you shouldn't be on the fucking road.

View Quote

Does that give you the right to run them over though?

Because if not, then your point is pretty much irrelevant and it is down to you to drive accordant to the road conditions.  

If the cyclist is on the road legally and is riding with due regard for traffic laws, and you cut him up and hit him, then it is you that is the "dumb fuck".

A little bit of awareness and consideration all round goes a long way to reducing the risk of accidents.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#24]
And people call Motorcycle riders organ donars. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Donar was a Germanic God of Thunder

So either you were making some reference to loud pipes and organs, and motorcyclists being Gods, or you are a semi-literate engaging in shadenfreude.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#26]
A fitting fact that happened 119 years ago:

The first car accident in the United States happened in New York City on May 30, 1896. Henry Wells from Springfield, Massachusetts was driving his Duryea Motor Wagon when he collided with a bicycle rider. Her name was Evylyn Thomas and she was brought to Manhattan Hospital with a broken leg.

https://wanderingbrooklyn.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/strange-but-true-the-first-car-accident-in-u-s-was-in-nyc-and-it-involved-a-bicycle/
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No fucks given
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I have never seen a bicycle on the freeway, probably because the there are signs at all the on-ramps saying "No bicycles on the freeway". Stupid games, stupid prizes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It is funny how some poster's hatred of cyclists will cause them to ignore reckless driving by a vehicle. Kind of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
one place bikes don't belong is freeways

Might I suggest to you and others here who ride bicycles.............don't ride on a roadway that is the same as the roadway those cyclists were riding on.

It is too dangerous.

I guess it had to be stated afterall.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So either you were making some reference to loud pipes and organs, and motorcyclists being Gods, or you are a semi-illiterate shadenfreude.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So either you were making some reference to loud pipes and organs, and motorcyclists being Gods, or you are a semi-illiterate shadenfreude.

oooooooooo,
we got an internet grammar nazi bad-ass here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Why in the fuck would you try to ride a bike on a freeway?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

oooooooooo,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oooooooooo,

Not a Nazi, although your interpretation of anyone who takes the time to expand your horizons as being a Nazi could be an entirely new topic of discussion in itself.

Grammar is the set of structural rules governing the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural language.

I saw your semi-literate outburst and chose to take the time to educate you about the the word "Donar"in the context of the way you used it.

Ironically, It was also an opportunity to show how your post could quite accurately have been interpreted as a celebration of loud pipes and your admiration for God like motorcyclists who use them.  

You are now smarter because I helped you understand these things.  No need to thank me, I did this out of the goodness of my own heart.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One can not be a shadenfreude, it is a feeling, happiness at others failure.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why are these retards riding on the freeway. The are causing for everyone on there. They are lucky to be alive.
View Quote

I have never seen them on the actual freeway but I have seen them riding on the right shoulder, still should not be out there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://www.citizenx.cx/img/comics/dilbert-schadenfreude.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aware of that thanks.  Corrected.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Because if not, then your point is pretty much irrelevant and it is down to you to drive accordant to the road conditions.  

If the cyclist is on the road legally and is riding with due regard for traffic laws, and you cut him up and hit him, then it is you that is the "dumb fuck".

A little bit of awareness and consideration all round goes a long way to reducing the risk of accidents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That goes about 20x more for the person riding 30 miles an hour under everyone else, disrupting the flow of traffic.

Cyclists aren't allowed on the freeway where I'm from, and for good reason. They can't keep up, and pose a danger to everyone on the road, including themselves.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Perhaps, but the bike rider still paid with his body.

Lug nut rule ALWAYS applies, no matter what the law says.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Just cause it's back on the front page I'm going to take another shot.

Cyclists don't get on their bikes with a death wish. Most of the cyclists I've ridden with over the past 45+ years were highly educated doctors, attorney's, professors, and engineers. We understand the rules of physics in ways people who use motors never will. (sorta why we don't stop if we don't absolutely have to [:// ) We also know that when struck with a 6000+lb object traveling at high speeds.....we lose and our little polystyrene helmets and Lycra shorts aren't going to prevent us from being injured or killed when we go down. We understand that lines on a road are just paint (it's slippery when wet and a hazard to us as well) and that doesn't offer much in the way of protection either.

This looks like Europe to me but it doesn't really matter to the Hate the Lycra Crowd. Most cyclists ride familiar "local" routes that are suitable for training or commuting with the least amount of disruption to themselves or others as possible. My guess.....is like most cyclists and rides these guys have done this route-----routinely. We tend to use the same "relatively" safe routes to ride because we don't have a death wish. Other routes in, around, and through this area may have been less safe and there was nothing these guys were doing that was illegal or unsafe IF........the distracted driver of the truck had been doing his job like someone's life depended on it.  These were high end bikes.....and fit riders-I hope they own a trucking company and never have to work another day in their broken busted up lives again.

The loathing, hatred, and rage for cyclists here (and other places) is pretty scary.......and why I carry.  Treat me like a target-I'm likely to return the favor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cyclists don't get on their bikes with a death wish. Most of the cyclists I've ridden with over the past 45+ years were highly educated doctors, attorney's, professors, and engineers. We understand the rules of physics in ways people who use motors never will. (sorta why we don't stop if we don't absolutely have to [:// ) We also know that when struck with a 6000+lb object traveling at high speeds.....we lose and our little polystyrene helmets and Lycra shorts aren't going to prevent us from being injured or killed when we go down. We understand that lines on a road are just paint (it's slippery when wet and a hazard to us as well) and that doesn't offer much in the way of protection either.

This looks like Europe to me but it doesn't really matter to the Hate the Lycra Crowd. Most cyclists ride familiar "local" routes that are suitable for training or commuting with the least amount of disruption to themselves or others as possible. My guess.....is like most cyclists and rides these guys have done this route-----routinely. We tend to use the same "relatively" safe routes to ride because we don't have a death wish. Other routes in, around, and through this area may have been less safe and there was nothing these guys were doing that was illegal or unsafe IF........the distracted driver of the truck had been doing his job like someone's life depended on it.  These were high end bikes.....and fit riders-I hope they own a trucking company and never have to work another day in their broken busted up lives again.

The loathing, hatred, and rage for cyclists here (and other places) is pretty scary.......and why I carry.  Treat me like a target-I'm likely to return the favor.
View Quote

Good post.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Funny, how most rabid bicyclists can quote chapter and verse of the traffic code...but they completely ignore the laws of PHYSICS.

Oh well, paging Professor Darwin.

Between their suicide mentalities and those wedgie bicycle seats that kill sperm production...they'll weed themselves out of the gene pool.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Lesson from this event.

1. It is dangerous as fuck to ride bikes on major thoroughfares.

2. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

3. If you are going to ride a bike... ride smart and not in condition white.

4. Tractor Trailer beats bike every time.

5. Bikes are toys and should be relegated to sidewalks and downtown area surface streets where cars move at the speed of nothing.

6. Just because you can follow the law doesn't mean the other guy on the road will.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda crotchety at times, but you do have class.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you stating that if someone hits you/almost hits you you're going to draw on them?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Was it in the USA?   Not sure if the location is identifiable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I pro-cyclist, but holy shit was the dumb.  Stay the fuck off the freeway.  You can't go fast enough to not cause a dangerous situation.

Not sure that was actually a freeway.  But all the freeways around here have signs that say NO scooters bicycles pedestrians etc.

Was it in the USA?   Not sure if the location is identifiable.

Plate on the truck looks Russian.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That goes about 20x more for the person riding 30 miles an hour under everyone else, disrupting the flow of traffic.

Cyclists aren't allowed on the freeway where I'm from, and for good reason. They can't keep up, and pose a danger to everyone on the road, including themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cyclists are not allowed on the motorway where I'm from either, which is something I completely agree with.

However they are allowed on other roads where there is a national speed limit of 60mph or even 70 mph, and I have no problem with that.

Just because you can drive at 70mph doesn't mean you have to do so.  You should drive according to the road conditions.  This means being aware that there might be cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists and other road users who are perfectly lawfully using or crossing the road you are on.  If you are not sure what lies ahead then you really ought to question whether you will be able to stop in time, or take appropriate evasive action and retain control of your vehicle should the need arise.

If you want to reduce the danger to you and others then drive with regard to risks, not stick your foot down and feel you have the right to disregard other road users because the speed limit allows you to drive faster than you should.

As I said, a little bit of awareness and consideration by all concerned goes a long way to reducing the risk of accidents.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Cyclists are not allowed on the motorway where I'm from either, which is something I completely agree with.

However they are allowed on other roads where there is a national speed limit of 60mph or even 70 mph, and I have no problem with that.

Just because you can drive at 70mph doesn't mean you have to do so.  You should drive according to the road conditions.  This means being aware that there might be cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists and other road users who are perfectly lawfully using or crossing the road you are on.  If you are not sure what lies ahead then you really ought to question whether you will be able to stop in time, or take appropriate evasive action and retain control of your vehicle should the need arise.

If you want to reduce the danger yo you and others then drive with regard to risks, not because the speed limit allows you to drive faster than you should.

As I said, a little bit of awareness and consideration by all concerned goes a long way to reducing the risk of accidents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to reduce the danger yo you and others then drive with regard to risks, not because the speed limit allows you to drive faster than you should.

The speed limit around where I am, along with signs and lights, reflect whatever hazards may be present.

Our roads are shitty and windy as fuck, so there are generally signs warning the driver, and you can't go 60 mph because it would be incredibly dangerous to do so because of the roads.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The speed limit around where I am, along with signs and lights, reflect whatever hazards may be present.

Our roads are shitty and windy as fuck, so there are generally signs warning the driver, and you can't go 60 mph because it would be incredibly dangerous to do so because of the roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for us when you get up onto the moorland and hilly lanes.

I guess I have just grown up with the fact that there are other road users and we just take in our stride, assess the risks and try to have a plan to avoid a collision.  Sometimes I am the driver, sometimes I am the cyclist or on a motorbike, other times I might be walking with my kids and part of the route takes me onto the lanes or roads.  

People tend to be reasonably good at driving according to the road conditions, but there is always going to be some hot-head who comes round a bend with his foot on the floor and shits himself when he is confronted by obstacles in the road.  It is a rapid learning curve for drivers as well as everybody else.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I guess I have just grown up with the fact that there are other road users and we just take in our stride, assess the risks and try to have a plan to avoid a collision.  Sometimes I am the driver, sometimes I am the cyclist or on a motorbike, other times I might be walking with my kids and part of the route takes me onto the lanes or roads.  

People tend to be reasonably good at driving according to the road conditions, but there is always going to be some hot-head who comes round a bend with his foot on the floor and shits himself when he is confronted by obstacles in the road.  It is a rapid learning curve for drivers as well as everybody else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just as an aside, from what I have gathered from British folks I know who live here, y'all are not so conservative with the speed limits and such over there as we are.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top