Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I find it surprising that something like this happened in the Gresham neighborhood.

My guess is that this animal conforms to UKC standard and came from a responsible breeder. I believe that it was properly licensed with the city of Chicago. This beast most certainly was spade and neutered and experienced good amounts of behavioral training and socialization. It was well fed and tended, I would guess. How it escaped adult supervision is something we may never learn.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I dunno man. I'm pretty sure not liking something doesn't equate to a ban.

Many of us think lots of things are dumb, but don't advocate bans.

I think you're just pissed that we don't like something you like.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/68/6833cfcd7327b72c215ed6d5afadf651167b8c999c0d7c0428a6649c88f8d389.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm simply asking if anyone is in favor of a ban.  

The comments and links and statistics are EXACTLY the very same arguments made by people who propose pit bull bans.  

It's natural to then assume that they will join their ideological and rhetorical allies in doing just that.

I dunno man. I'm pretty sure not liking something doesn't equate to a ban.

Many of us think lots of things are dumb, but don't advocate bans.

I think you're just pissed that we don't like something you like.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/68/6833cfcd7327b72c215ed6d5afadf651167b8c999c0d7c0428a6649c88f8d389.jpg

I'm not pissed at anything.  I don't care WHAT dogs people choose to like or not like.

However, I AM often curious as to why certain GD denizens are so quick to post a link to any story about pit bulls misbehaving.  
It certainly reeks of an agenda, but no one ever seems to be able to admit as such.
The same methodology of playing to the emotional appeal and the "children!" is mighty familiar.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Isn't this the thread for busybody scolds?

I am observing and categorizing, and then when appropriate, pointing and laughing.   I thought we covered this?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please quote the post in this thread that contains any of those things.

Why are you posting a link to pit bull attack on a child?   Your answer or non-answer will speak for itself.

Because he can.

If you disapprove, why are you still in this thread?
Isn't this the thread for busybody scolds?

Your answer will speak for itself.

I am observing and categorizing, and then when appropriate, pointing and laughing.   I thought we covered this?

Nonsense Squire.  You are making unfounded statements and attributing them to people who didn't make those statements.

Observing and categorising is amusing - let me know when you start.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nice try.  Not even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please quote the post in this thread that contains any of those things.

Why are you posting a link to pit bull attack on a child?   Your answer or non-answer will speak for itself.

Why are you changing the subject?

ETA: Never mind.  The act speaks for itself.  

Yes, your non-answer was anticipated.

I didn't feel like digging for a quote, so I elicited one.   You complied.

That being said, your OP suffices.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Much as it is is kind of amusing watching Cincinnatus massage his e-penis in Pit Bull threads, can we just get back to the pit bull thing and the fact that yet another kid has lost their life after being mauled by a dog?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

#1:  You spelled "categorizing" wrong.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given that this is an American site, I will forgive you for your mis-understansing
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Much as it is is kind of amusing watching Cincinnatus massage his e-penis in Pit Bull threads, can we just get back to the pit bull thing and the fact that yet another kid has lost their life after being mauled by a dog?
View Quote

So how do you folks in the UK deal with the menace of this dangerous breed?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe this creature was ill? Could sickness have motivated such an attack?

I'm sure this animal was up to date on all its shots and necessary medications. We could contact the veterinarian that tended to this animal so many times over the course of its life and maybe the somewhere amongst the detailed medical history we can find an answer to this horrific event?

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We BANNED them, gleefully, with street parties and burned effigies of Pit Bulls.  The Pinata became the Pitata....which was confusing because it sounds like "Potato" in a London accent and thousands of cockneys are running around beating the shit out of roast dinners.  Now we call them land-sharks, that way we can strike the correct emotional level of fear and duly deserved hatred and our roast potatoes remain intact.

The owners are now branded as criminals which is good, and get a right Royal roasting if they have an illegal dog and it goes mad and bites someone.  It gave is the ultimate excuse to look down with utter disdain on anyone who feels the need to own such a heinous baby-killing beastie.

Not that bans work or anything, but, you know...... if we can make them look bad enough then the owners will quickly be struck off the welfare list and forced to eek out a living by making toothless "smack head" appearances on the Jeremy Kyle show.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe this creature was ill? Could sickness have motivated such an attack?

I'm sure this animal was up to date on all its shots and necessary medications. We could contact the veterinarian that tended to this animal so many times over the course of its life and maybe the somewhere amongst the detailed medical history we can find an answer to this horrific event?

View Quote

When my dog is ill, it tends to just vomit or shit itself.  It's never eaten a 5 year old.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We BANNED them, gleefully, with street parties and burned effigies of Pit Bulls.  The Pinata became the Pitata....which was confusing because it sounds like "Potato" in a London accent and thousands of cockneys are running around beating the shit out of roast dinners.  Now we call them land-sharks, that way we can strike the correct emotional level of fear and duly deserved hatred and our roast potatoes remain intact.

The owners are now branded a criminals which is good, and get a right Royal roasting if they have an illegal dog and it goes mad and bites someone.  It gave is the ultimate excuse to look down with utter disdain on anyone who feels the need to own such a heinous baby-killing beastie.

Not that bans work or anything, but, you know...... if we can make them look bad enough then the owners will quickly be struck off the welfare list and forced to eek out a living by making toothless "smack head" appearances on the Jeremy Kyle show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The owners are now branded a criminals which is good, and get a right Royal roasting if they have an illegal dog and it goes mad and bites someone.  It gave is the ultimate excuse to look down with utter disdain on anyone who feels the need to own such a heinous baby-killing beastie.

I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither do we.  I think that is what cause the confusion with the Potatoes
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know, right?

I mean seriously, what percentage of these pitbull attacks come from trash people?

100% you say?

Well how the hell can that be?
View Quote

When my kid was five he was sitting with a friend and I on the friends couch. She was not "trash people", but her pit bit my kid on the face. I always thought he was a nice dog. Bite was not provoked in any way.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, what a terrible way to die, especially for a child.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you guys dealt with dangerous dogs with a BAN.

How did you deal with firearms and assault weapons?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not pissed at anything.  I don't care WHAT dogs people choose to like or not like.

However, I AM often curious as to why certain GD denizens are so quick to post a link to any story about pit bulls misbehaving.  
It certainly reeks of an agenda, but no one ever seems to be able to admit as such.
The same methodology of playing to the emotional appeal and the "children!" is mighty familiar.
View Quote

The same reason we post about people getting attacked by any other means.

Your chances of getting murdered are statistically minute, but many of us carry a gun our entire lives. We also post about tactics, medical topics, and a shit load of others.

Why aren't you in those threads, shitting in them too?

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Your chances of getting murdered are statistically minute, but many of carry a gun our entire lives. We also post about tactics, medical topics, and a shit load of others.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your chances of getting murdered are statistically minute, but many of carry a gun our entire lives. We also post about tactics, medical topics, and a shit load of others.

Nope.  I'm not buying it.   Not for a second.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is that related to dogs?  

Come one Cinny, old chap.  Stay with the subject.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
When my kid was five he was sitting with a friend and I on the friends couch. She was not "trash people", but her pit bit my kid on the face. I always thought he was a nice dog. Bite was not provoked in any way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, right?

I mean seriously, what percentage of these pitbull attacks come from trash people?

100% you say?

The dog was probably trying to play with your kid.  Unfortunately, most people don't understand dog behaviors and/or don't properly train their dogs so a lot of incidents are seen as malicious when it's just a dog being a dog.

It's not the dog's fault that some people expect it to act like a human.

Playing:

A friend of mine has a rescued pitbull and they're the most unpredictable because of their unknown past.  She's the biggest cuddleslut in the world and loves people.  When you get playful with her, she starts to use her mouth but doesn't bite hard.  If she gets too rough, I have to bring her energy level back down.  The problem is, people (kids especially) tend to get a big dog worked up until they hurt someone and then blame the dog for playing like they normally would with another dog.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He makes a very good point, to be fair.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:]

What more is there to say?    A dog attacked a child and the child and dog are both dead.

Now what?

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#23]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nope  I'm not buying it.   Not for a second.

View Quote

1,324,775 topics in GD.

125 of those contain "dog" in the title.

That includes topics like:

ALET!. ALET!. yellow dog.
BIL broke my dog's tail!!!!
My dog was killed today

13 of the 1,324,775 topics include "pit" in the title.

How NOT to remove the pit from an avocado (graphic?)
Florida man had sex with his pit bull in front of his neighbors

You have no argument.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, right?

100% you say?

Two weeks ago the dachshund/basset mix we were dogsitting bit through my fiancee's stepfather's hand. It was unprovoked.

What is your point?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The dog was probably trying to play with your kid.  Unfortunately, most people don't understand dog behaviors and/or don't properly train their dogs so a lot of incidents are seen as malicious when it's just a dog being a dog.

Playing:
http://blog.smartanimaltraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Dogs-playing-300x240.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, right?

100% you say?

Playing:
http://blog.smartanimaltraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Dogs-playing-300x240.png

I think people do get it.

People are not concerned about dogs playing.  

People are concerned about dogs mauling their kids.  There is a pretty significant difference.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  

Google "5 year old killed" and you will see a multitude of 5 year old children killed within the last few weeks by cars and parents and stray gunfire and intentional gunfire, etc, etc.   Not here, though.

One poster on the first page spoke of "if only" someone had a gun....   But that isn't the theme of the thread.  It rarely is.   If it WAS, he would have a great point.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

People are concerned about dogs mauling their kids.  There is a pretty significant difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, right?

100% you say?

Playing:

Of course they are concerned with that. This does not change reality - namely, there is no significant threat of dog mauling (from ANY breed).

This is nothing more than a security blanket for ignorant people who simply react emotionally for the illusion of safety. Much like with guns, the problem is people, not the object, animal or otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
1,324,775 topics in GD.

My dog was killed today

You have no argument.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1,324,775 topics in GD.

My dog was killed today

You have no argument.

Yeah, well, your facts need a DNA test man.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

1,324,775 topics in GD.

My dog was killed today

You have no argument.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1,324,775 topics in GD.

My dog was killed today

You have no argument.

Your stats are flawed and irrelevant.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What more is there to say?    A dog attacked a child and the child and dog are both dead.

Now what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now what?

It would have been better if the attack had not taken place in the first place.

Clearly banning all dogs is not viable nor is it necessary.

If only there was a way to drill down and identify the factors which contribute to the most dog attacks and combine that with the severity of the outcome of those attacks, we might have a risk assessment that would identify the factors giving rise to the highest likelihood of an attack resulting in serious injury or death.

That way you could devise a plan of action to reduce the risks.

I know right??...... mind gosh darn blown.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If only there was a way to drill down and identify the factors which contribute to the most dog attacks and combine that with the severity of the outcome of those attacks, we might have a risk assessment that would identify the factors giving rise to the highest likelihood of an attack resulting in serious injury or death.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/10/tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now what?

Like this?

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/LiteratureReviews/Pages/The-Role-of-Breed-in-Dog-Bite-Risk-and-Prevention.aspx
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a lot of work for such an uncommon issue.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In other words, you got nothin.  You're not very good at debate, are you?  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now what?

Holy moly... It's almost as though you are making a straight forward case to arrive at courses of action regarding dogs and dog attacks.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#36]
This just in... all Pitbull stories posted on arfcom are about Pitbulls.

If a Poodle bit your neighbor, but someone on Arfcom didn't post a store about it, did it really happen? Of course not!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The owners are now branded as criminals which is good, and get a right Royal roasting if they have an illegal dog and it goes mad and bites someone.  It gave is the ultimate excuse to look down with utter disdain on anyone who feels the need to own such a heinous baby-killing beastie.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I answered your question accurately, and you added to my answer in a manner that supported my position.

You, on the other hand, can't even explain the purpose of your own thread.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, right?

100% you say?

Playing:

Except the post I quoted by Kashtin proves a lot of people don't get it.

Some people see "unprovoked bite/attack" and a knowledgeable person sees normal dog behavior.

Obviously the story about the kid in the OP is a different situation but a lot of folks paint certain breeds as "bad" because they don't understand the behavior.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not really.  

Google "5 year old killed" and you will see a multitude of 5 year old children killed within the last few weeks by cars and parents and stray gunfire and intentional gunfire, etc, etc.   Not here, though.

One poster on the first page spoke of "if only" someone had a gun....   But that isn't the theme of the thread.  It rarely is.   If it WAS, he would have a great point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  

Nobody is disagreeing with the fact that other things happen.  Nor are they disagreeing with the fact that if someone had a gun then maybe, just maybe the kid might have survived.  Then again, if the mother, rather tun running around screaming had grabbed a knife and opened the dogs throat up then that might also have helped.  Who knows.

Fact is that another kid has died as a result of a dog attack.  

Maybe there is something in our modern psyche that recognises that despite all our best efforts accidents are going to happen with inanimate objects despite taking measures to prevent them.  We know that it is within our power to prevent these things from occurring and take precautions to minimise those risks.  Because those things are inanimate we are the controlling factor.  To some extent these risks are predictable.

However when it comes to animals that are capable of independent thought and action there is something primeval in our makeup that regards a small child being eaten by a predatory wild animal as a significant and serious enough threat to identify all those similar animals as a threat and to want to protect those children and other vulnerable members of the tribe from the risk they pose.  These risks are less predicable and therefore bring on a heightened sense of awareness and risk perception.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are approximately 4.5 - 4.7 million dog bites a year in the USA that require medical attention. That is not exactly uncommon.

The number of people believed to get shot in the USA every year is 100,000.

Granted, the severity of the injuries is not taken into account in those figures, and I'm sure there can be some discussion around those figures, but in the grand scheme of things the number of dog-bites is significantly higher.

On that basis alone, one would expect there to be some studies done to establish the circumstances and cost of such incidents.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There used to be a guy on DU who'd post thread after thread of every news story he could find about someone getting shot.

Even DU thought it was pretty pathetic.
View Quote

You would know that's for sure.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Holy moly... It's almost as though you are making a straight forward case to arrive at courses of action regarding dogs and dog attacks.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now what?

Correct.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I answered your question accurately, and you added to my answer in a manner that supported my position.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:  Alright, I started this thread because I like lively debate.  That's what GD is all about.  I couldn't care less what kind of dog you have.  There.  You failed.  Now find me the post where someone wants anything banned.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Poor Kid.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There used to be a guy on DU who'd post thread after thread of every news story he could find about someone getting shot.

Of course.  I spent years there arguing for gun rights and smaller government.

Reading threads on arfcom wouldn't be nearly as amusing if I couldn't look back fondly about having the same arguments with DUers.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Poor Kid.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's terrible to think of the horror that the boy felt before he died.
View Quote

I hope he is now resting in the bosom of Abraham.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Reading threads on arfcom wouldn't be nearly as amusing if I couldn't look back fondly about having the same arguments with DUers.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should check out of one their pit bull threads.  

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top