Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Lane splitting reminds me of thirdworld shithole traffic.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But...it's not fair.

I'm stuck in traffic and you should be too. Wait your turn!

I only endorse the idea of splitting and filtering when traffic is stopped. It makes sense and would significantly cut down on congestion if a larger percentage of "participants in the congestion" rode and filtered.

But....this is 'Merica and GD, where the feels beget whining which ultimately begets the feeling for some sort of retribution.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It works well in countries where people drive with their brain and not their feels.

But...it's not fair.

I only endorse the idea of splitting and filtering when traffic is stopped. It makes sense and would significantly cut down on congestion if a larger percentage of "participants in the congestion" rode and filtered.

But....this is 'Merica and GD, where the feels beget whining which ultimately begets the feeling for some sort of retribution.

Then open up the "shoulder lane" for congested traffic to alleviate the problem instead of having a cop hide at the corner waiting to tax the people trying to get home.
(We actually used to have a "shoulder lane" during rush hour on the LIE. Once they installed the HOV lane they took it away & traffic got worse again.)
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Try it and find out! "I don't know what happened officer. I was switching lanes and some guy on a motorcycle went splat".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

D'OH!  NOT the way to do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4ZGqfwNEM

Dumb to do that on 285.

Shut up! Can't you see he's just trying to foster mutual respect.

It is like comparing commuters to street racers...

But since you obviously not used to critical thinking, let me try something more your speed.

If I on a motorcycle want to lane split, at any speed in any fashion, just what in the hell are YOU going to do about it.

Try it and find out! "I don't know what happened officer. I was switching lanes and some guy on a motorcycle went splat".

There is actually law for that, a car changing lanes into a filtering bike or intentionally tries to keep one from doing it is illegal.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Then open up the "shoulder lane" for congested traffic to alleviate the problem instead of having a cop hide at the corner waiting to tax the people trying to get home.
(We actually used to have a "shoulder lane" during rush hour on the LIE. Once they installed the HOV lane they took it away & traffic got worse again.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It works well in countries where people drive with their brain and not their feels.

But...it's not fair.

In line with arfcom tradition, get both.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a buddy who lost his foot doing that shit. All it took was one spooked grandma driving grandpa's pickup truck and that was the end of that foot.

I'm not convinced there's any safe way to split lanes among moving cars and trucks.  You have no idea who's in those vehicles, how good or bad day they're having, how easily they spook, how much they'd like to knock someone off a bike, etc, etc.  I try to stay "3 mistakes away" from cars unless I'm passing, then I give them as wide a berth as I can and do it as quickly as possible.

But as always, "You pays your money, and you makes your choices".
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn't even fucking stop
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

People will swing there door open to try and wreak you on purpose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eh, there's a right and a wrong way to do it.

Yep,  I do it at every stoplight and only by cars that are already stopped.   I don't trust folks at all.

People will swing there door open to try and wreak you on purpose.

I've never had that happen,  I have had folks purposely pinch in to try and keep you from getting by.   I just wait or go around to the other side of them and carry on my way.

I don't get on the freeway much as my bike is pretty much only used as a toy for me ( supermoto ) even at that I did over 10,000 miles in the last year on it.   I have filtered on the freeway but traffic pretty much has to be at 20mph or less for me personally and at that speed I can literally stop on a dime.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got a buddy who lost his foot doing that shit. All it took was one spooked grandma driving grandpa's pickup truck and that was the end of that foot.

I'm not convinced there's any safe way to split lanes among moving cars and trucks.  You have no idea who's in those vehicles, how good or bad day they're having, how easily they spook, how much they'd like to knock someone off a bike, etc, etc.  I try to stay "3 mistakes away" from cars unless I'm passing, then I give them as wide a berth as I can and do it as quickly as possible.

But as always, "You pays your money, and you makes your choices".
View Quote

I almost mowed a guy down like that - I was cruising along in the left lane at highway speeds & crotchrocket #1 with no muffler came flying by me doing about 140 riding the HOV divider.
Crotchrocket #2 was slightly behind him also traveling at about 140 but passed me on the right while riding the dotted line.
Crotchrocket #2 almost met the passenger side of my car.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The segment of motorcyclists that die the most are middle aged Harley dudes that re-enter the sport in their mid to late 30's because they start to feel old and want to be badasses again.
This stat has been consistant for over 20 years now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They have made up a narrative that all motorcyclists will be killed if that actually sit in traffic & wait their turn - where are all these news stories about motorcyclists getting run over on a daily basis?
It's no different than what the left does on a daily basis - decide you want something & then invent facts to support it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a 25 min video about it from the expert of experts. Oh Nutn isn't there anything you don't know everything about??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRcZR70Zhc

I was never against lane splitting before.

Now, I'm not so sure.
Yep, I'll never ever do it now. Plus one thing about freeway travel is, it works best when there's a flow. Everyone moving the same direction, relatively the same speed, in a designated lane. Shit seems to happen when this is interrupted, running too fast, too slow, going your own way. Seems like lane splitting is inviting shit to happen a bit too much for me.  

They have made up a narrative that all motorcyclists will be killed if that actually sit in traffic & wait their turn - where are all these news stories about motorcyclists getting run over on a daily basis?
It's no different than what the left does on a daily basis - decide you want something & then invent facts to support it.

Except in this case it was a thing not covered by any law prior and since it wasn't outlawed,  it was allowed.   The left has tried to get it outlawed on more than one occasion here in California and that's why some of the studies were done.

This is one of the few times the government has gotten it correct from the beginning.   I'm sure you can find some group that is still pushing to have it outlawed and donate some money to their cause if you feel so strongly about it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There we have it. Someone says he will try to injure a rider because he doesnt like what the rider is doing.

What a self entitled asshole.  Very liberal thinking too. I dont like it, so there should be a law against it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There we have it. Someone says he will try to injure a rider because he doesnt like what the rider is doing.

What a self entitled asshole.  Very liberal thinking too. I dont like it, so there should be a law against it.

1st off, it was meant as a joke. So lighten the fuck up. And 2nd, that shit isn't legal here so if some dumb fuck wants to lane split at 80mph and ends up smashing into the back of my truck, it'll be their own damn fault.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Except in this case it was a thing not covered by any law prior and since it wasn't outlawed,  it was allowed.   The left has tried to get it outlawed on more than one occasion here in California and that's why some of the studies were done.

This is one of the few times the government has gotten it correct from the beginning.   I'm sure you can find some group that is still pushing to have it outlawed and donate some money to their cause if you feel so strongly about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a 25 min video about it from the expert of experts. Oh Nutn isn't there anything you don't know everything about??

Now, I'm not so sure.
Yep, I'll never ever do it now. Plus one thing about freeway travel is, it works best when there's a flow. Everyone moving the same direction, relatively the same speed, in a designated lane. Shit seems to happen when this is interrupted, running too fast, too slow, going your own way. Seems like lane splitting is inviting shit to happen a bit too much for me.  

So basically you're  saying that if lane splitting is cool then bicyclists should be able to run red lights and stop signs and take a lane?...because statistically that's safer for them too.  It's  called "riding high side" and studies since the 1970's prove it is safer than sitting with traffic at lights, and stop signs or risking being cut off at turns, door-ed or close passed by motor vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If lane splitting is legal, you'd probably get a failure to yield ticket if you changed lanes and hit one.

View Quote

My point was geared more towards the asshats who lane split at high speeds. If some dumb shit comes flying up behind me and I don't see him squeezing between cars at 80, it's their own damn fault if they smash into the back of my vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, I'm not so sure.

I'm not pushing to get anything outlawed (but I do find it funny that it is illegal to drive down the road without a seatbelt because it isn't safe, but somehow it is completely safe to ride on top of a motorcycle).

Around here we have the 2-second following rule, reckless driving laws, & 2 vehicles can't share the same lane at the same time (next to each other).
If you try riding between 2 cars & you get squished it's pretty much on you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Because the safest place for me to be is as far away from cars as I can get at all times.  Filtering to the front and getting away from everybody ( after checking some fucktard isn't running the red light ) is the safeset place to be.    I could care less if you think it's wrong because I'm not "waiting in line " ready to get crushed by some vapid teenager on her cellphone coming up to all the stopped cars.  

You should try reading some of the studies about lane filtering and why it's better for folks in cars for traffic reasons and safer for the folks on motorcycles at the same time.   The educated tend to call it win win.

When you double your experience in years riding motorcycles we can talk about our similar observations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh, there's a right and a wrong way to do it.

Yep,  I do it at every stoplight and only by cars that are already stopped.   I don't trust folks at all.

Then wait the fuck in line like everyone else until the light turns green. Why is your destination so much more important than everyone else's? If you get squashed, you'll have no one to blame but yourself....if you survive.

ETA: I've been riding for over 19 years and pass other vehicles quite often on open roads, but lane splitting is just stupid especially since I'm never in a big rush when I'm on the bike.

Because the safest place for me to be is as far away from cars as I can get at all times.  Filtering to the front and getting away from everybody ( after checking some fucktard isn't running the red light ) is the safeset place to be.    I could care less if you think it's wrong because I'm not "waiting in line " ready to get crushed by some vapid teenager on her cellphone coming up to all the stopped cars.  

You should try reading some of the studies about lane filtering and why it's better for folks in cars for traffic reasons and safer for the folks on motorcycles at the same time.   The educated tend to call it win win.

When you double your experience in years riding motorcycles we can talk about our similar observations.

BUT IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is actually law for that, a car changing lanes into a filtering bike or intentionally tries to keep one from doing it is illegal.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I on a motorcycle want to lane split, at any speed in any fashion, just what in the hell are YOU going to do about it.

So the law says that I should be able to see a splitter coming up between traffic at 60-80mph???
Yea, good luck proving the splitter wasn't at fault for that wreck.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because since they're in Georgia, they're breaking the law.
Hopefully the guy on the bike died.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So the law says that I should be able to see a splitter coming up between traffic at 60-80mph???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly are you advocating?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So basically you're  saying that if lane splitting is cool then bicyclists should be able to run red lights and stop signs and take a lane?...because statistically that's safer for them too.  It's  called "riding high side" and studies since the 1970's prove it is safer than sitting with traffic at lights, and stop signs or risking being cut off at turns, door-ed or close passed by motor vehicles.
View Quote

Post your study,  I'd like to read it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you talking about a 60-80mph closing speed or both parties are doing 60-80mph,  it makes a big difference.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like he may have run over a leg or two as well.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well there is a flip side to that coin sir.....one could argue that the guys acting like entitled twats are those who think they deserve special treatment and get to play by different rules just because they choose to drive a more dangerous vehicle.  

"I need to go to the front because I could be rear ended".  So fucking what.....don't like the risk?  The get a fucking car instead of whining like a bitch and demanding that you "need" to cut to the front because you choose to drive a more dangerous vehicle.  

If you want to go all mad max and let everything just be a free for all, hey I am all for it....but you guys sound like a bunch of whiny little pussies demanding special snowflake treatment because "it's just sooo dangerous riding a motorcycle....I mean, I could be rear ended.  It's also really hot.  I don't like that".
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are you talking about a 60-80mph closing speed or both parties are doing 60-80mph,  it makes a big difference.

View Quote

I have never lane split.  There is no way I would do it legal or not at those speeds.  Very little room between vehicles for maneuvers/mistakes.

I could see myself lane splitting in gridlocked traffic, moving along at the pace of a fast jog or something.  If it was legal here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Killing someone that isn't doing anything wrong, and getting away with it.

Because traffic is supposed to be fair, so you don't hurt the feels.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm advocating the fact that I cannot be held responsible for not seeing some idiot flying up behind me in between cars. Sorry, I don't have superman vision and cannot predict when stupidity will hit
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about traffic moving at 10-20mph while a motorcycle comes flying up from behind at 60-80mph. I've had it happen while out on the bike with my wife and a few other friends on bikes. Douchbag came flying up from behind and skimmed between me and another friend on his bike. We were doing maybe 15-20mph when he zoomed by us at about 60-70mph. I wanted to ring his fucking neck!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm talking about traffic moving at 10-20mph while a motorcycle comes flying up from behind at 60-80mph. I've had it happen while out on the bike with my wife and a few other friends on bikes. Douchbag came flying up from behind and skimmed between me and another friend on his bike. We were doing maybe 15-20mph when he zoomed by us at about 60-70mph. I wanted to ring his fucking neck!
View Quote

So...no problem if (where legal) I pass you at 10-15 mph while you are sitting in gridlock (with no place to move or merge)?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm talking about traffic moving at 10-20mph while a motorcycle comes flying up from behind at 60-80mph.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about traffic moving at 10-20mph while a motorcycle comes flying up from behind at 60-80mph.

Nope, I don't expect you to see a guy coming up behind you at a 50--70mph closing rate.  If the MC rider would have been a little more prudent and been using his head a bit better and was only going 10-20 faster than traffic,  if you used you mirror to look for cars before changing lane,  you would have saw them.   If you pull over anyway,  well..... that makes you a psychopath.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's not safe, normal, or sensible lane splitting. Could you agree that what you're talking about is an extreme and not the type of filtering that most of us do or attempt?

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So...no problem if (where legal) I pass you at 10-15 mph while you are sitting in gridlock (with no place to move or merge)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's legal, I could give a shit. However, if you rub my vehicle or take my mirror off with your bike you better pull the fuck over and deal with it like an adult. If you put my family at risk by riding like an asshole, I could care less if you wreck.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's not safe, normal, or sensible lane splitting. Could you agree that what you're talking about is an extreme and not the type of filtering that most of us do or attempt?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is filtering legal in your state?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well there is a flip side to that coin sir.....one could argue that the guys acting like entitled twats are those who think they deserve special treatment and get to play by different rules just because they choose to drive a more dangerous vehicle.  

"I need to go to the front because I could be rear ended".  So fucking what.....don't like the risk?  The get a fucking car instead of whining like a bitch and demanding that you "need" to cut to the front because you choose to drive a more dangerous vehicle.  

If you want to go all mad max and let everything just be a free for all, hey I am all for it....but you guys sound like a bunch of whiny little pussies demanding special snowflake treatment because "it's just sooo dangerous riding a motorcycle....I mean, I could be rear ended.  It's also really hot.  I don't like that".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in favor of it, because it benefits me. Where I live it is not legal, so I do not do it.  It is not legal because car drivers lobbied thier congressmen and senators more than the motorcycle riders. I'm not whining either way. The "special rules for different vehicles" is already here. Certain roads prohibit Class A trucks. Some stretches of freeway no trucks in the left lane, some fines are higher for a CDL driver, etc...

I agree with you that those who say they NEED to split for safety reasons are full of shit, since we all know the bike is  more dangerous than the car, in every circumstance I can think of.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What color is your underwear? Let's change the topic, shall we?

In Ohio it's neither illegal nor legal, not specifically forbidden by code nor is it allowed. Probably a discretionary thing up to the officer.

Are you asking if I do it? Only in extreme situations (freeways that become stop-go traffic nightmares where getting smacked in the ass becomes exceedingly likely). It happens to increase my safety, reduce the overall stagnation of those traffic problems, and ensure that a fender-bender doesn't hurt or kill me and even further snarl up a congested area. So, it benefits everyone....but I NEVER do it at speed or against fast moving traffic.

But, that has nothing to do with my question to you, so let's try again.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is once a month a lot?  I'd imagine LA county alone probably has at least 1 motorcycle fatality a month.

On my morning commute I pass the signs that show the stats for traffic fatalities in the state of Michigan YTD.  We're averaging 50 a month state wide.  That's all traffic, but considering metro LA has more population than Michigan and that motorcycles have a higher chance for fatalities.  Well, it seems reasonable to me.  Not that I think lane splitting makes California any more or less dangerous, I just think once a month is pretty light.  I see that in Michigan at that rate in the summer months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legal in CA.

where you can see a motorcyclist being cleaned up with a shovel at least once a month.

As somebody who grew up there and split lanes daily for almost 10 years...bullshit.

Is once a month a lot?  I'd imagine LA county alone probably has at least 1 motorcycle fatality a month.

On my morning commute I pass the signs that show the stats for traffic fatalities in the state of Michigan YTD.  We're averaging 50 a month state wide.  That's all traffic, but considering metro LA has more population than Michigan and that motorcycles have a higher chance for fatalities.  Well, it seems reasonable to me.  Not that I think lane splitting makes California any more or less dangerous, I just think once a month is pretty light.  I see that in Michigan at that rate in the summer months.

The stats I saw just the other day said that motorcycle riders were 40 times more likely to die in a traffic accident that vehicle drivers.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The stats I saw just the other day said that motorcycle riders were 40 times more likely to die in a traffic accident that vehicle drivers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Legal in CA.

where you can see a motorcyclist being cleaned up with a shovel at least once a month.

As somebody who grew up there and split lanes daily for almost 10 years...bullshit.

Probably true, depending on how you look at the statistics.

Just for fun, remove riders wearing gear & full face helmet, those who are sober, those who have some rider training, and those who are not new or on suspended (or temporary) licenses, or even better those who avoid heavy traffic.

You've just eliminated about 90% of all the fatal motorcycle crash commonalities.

I'd wager that doing all those things would put you in a "safer than the general driving public" statistic.

But, it's not as cool.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the norm of what I see idiot motorcycle riders doing.  It's not safe or sensible, but it's certainly normal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lane splitting reminds me of thirdworld shithole traffic.
View Quote

You know what  From Naples to Bangkok to Tokyo to Managua, my observation is that foreign drivers will:

-Pay attention to the road and traffic

-Cooperate with other drivers/riders

-Fit a vastly greater volume of traffic down smaller, shittier streets

-Have a considerably lower "asshole factor" while doing so.

Our driving culture has become so Lowest Common Denominator NERFed that instead of operating a vehicle, the main preoccupation in traffic is vaguely instructing a computer-controlled behemoth where to go along roads so easy to maneuver on that a child could literally do it if physically capable while being distracted by multimedia entertainment and making sure that no one but NO ONE gets in front of you

You won't hear me extolling how much better "everyone else does it than America" on many things but culturally, we're taught to behave like a bunch of bratty little children when we get on the road

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It's the norm of what I see idiot motorcycle riders doing.  It's not safe or sensible, but it's certainly normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you see what you want to see.

I see drivers do horrendous shit, pretty much every day...texting with their heads completely down, blowing signals and signs, pulling in front of people, raging, acting like complete dickbags.

Given the number of motorcycles on the road verses cars, I'd say their shenanigans are a 900lb gorilla to the safety of you and I on the road rather than a few squids you see and focus on.

But, you have a bias and it's not going to be talked out of. Amirite?

Sure I am.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arfcom Road Warriors don't give a fuck about speed limits.  He was in the his passing lane, right?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If it's legal, I could give a shit. However, if you rub my vehicle or take my mirror off with your bike you better pull the fuck over and deal with it like an adult. If you put my family at risk by riding like an asshole, I could care less if you wreck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I lived in Los Angeles, I lane split everyday for about 4 years.  I may be wrong, but I thought that the rider takes 100% responsibility if there is an accident while he is splitting. If the law isn't written that way, that is certainly the approach I took to it. I never had an issue with it, but I'm not a reckless rider. I would only split when cars were stopped at a light or stop and go on the freeway. Once traffic got going to about 10 mph, I would get back in a lane. Honestly, it didn't seem to bother anyone there.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That said, I will continue to drive a full sized pickup with full coverage insurance just in case.  That way the insurance can fix my truck, and maybe the doctors can fix your mashed melon...just don't expect me to be concerned about you when you crash.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.

I live in CA (not by choice) and driving on 15 down to LA its hard not see a biker getting cleaned up off the road. More than a few times its been one that was lane splitting by me 10 minutes ago.  I couldn't give two fucks, if you want to be a retard (not you dilbert) and split lanes have fun, darwin will catch you soon enough.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legal in CA.

If you put on a helmet & rode on the outside of the car you'd probably also be 40 times more likely to die in an accident...
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Even out in the country with light traffic, a raccoon can dart out of the woods and run across your path.

Hell, I even ran over a big snake yesterday.   Lifted one leg so it couldn't bite me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#45]
When you feel like you don't have to obey the same traffic rules as I do, I say farewell, and I hope you live long enough to donate your organs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if you are in Japan I can understand.   I was there once back in the 80's and in Tokyo,  the locals splitting lanes on the highway there seemed insane to me.   Literally stopped dead traffic and bunches of 8-10 bikes splitting at 40+   a three second gap and then another 8-10 group non fucking stop.   Surprisingly I didn't see not one MC accident the whole time,  must have been good rider education and good driver education that pretty much any first world country has except the USA,  we give out licenses to complete fucking morons.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well if you are in Japan I can understand.   I was there once back in the 80's and in Tokyo,  the locals splitting lanes on the highway there seemed insane to me.   Literally stopped dead traffic and bunches of 8-10 bikes splitting at 40+   a three second gap and then another 8-10 group non fucking stop.   Surprisingly I didn't see not one MC accident the whole time,  must have been good rider education and good driver education that pretty much any first world country has except the USA,  we give out licenses to complete fucking morons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's extremely difficult to get a driver's license in Japan.  Scooter licenses are easier, in fact, than a vehicle license, but still so difficult I know people who took the test six times before they got their license.  The other thing about Japan is that people tend to follow the rules fairly strictly most of the time here.  It's just part of their culture to do so.

I was talking more about the US.  Lane splitting riders are an annoyance here, but the speed limits are so low they're mostly irritating and not a big deal otherwise.  I've never seen a motorcycle accident here -- I've seen a bunch of them in the US.  A good friend of mine was killed in one, and he was a very careful and very experienced rider.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I see drivers do horrendous shit, pretty much every day...texting with their heads completely down, blowing signals and signs, pulling in front of people, raging, acting like complete dickbags.

Given the number of motorcycles on the road verses cars, I'd say their shenanigans are a 900lb gorilla to the safety of you and I on the road rather than a few squids you see and focus on.

Sure I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure I am.

Of course, as a motorcycle rider, it's all vehicle drivers' fault.  But, you have a bias and it's not going to be talked out of.  Amirite?  Sure I am.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I encourage it.....I like seeing what happens when an asshat fucks up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

In Ohio it's neither illegal nor legal, not specifically forbidden by code nor is it allowed. Probably a discretionary thing up to the officer.

Are you asking if I do it? Only in extreme situations (freeways that become stop-go traffic nightmares where getting smacked in the ass becomes exceedingly likely). It happens to increase my safety, reduce the overall stagnation of those traffic problems, and ensure that a fender-bender doesn't hurt or kill me and even further snarl up a congested area. So, it benefits everyone....but I NEVER do it at speed or against fast moving traffic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough. If traffic is at a stand still I could care less what everyone else is doing or if a bike crawls by so long as it isn't putting me or my family at risk or extending my commute time. If traffic is moving along, stay the fuck in your own lane and do not try to share mine. I myself ride 2-3 times a week and will probably never do any lane splitting because I just don't agree with it. Stupid games and all that. I'm fortunately enough to be able to ride across the state via rural roads while avoiding highways and traffic.

As far as splitting not being addressed specifically by the laws in your state, I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's a OK to do it. Would it be OK to drive 75 mph down a road just because you haven't yet seen a posted speed limit sign for that particular road?

ETA: My underwear are orange. Why do you ask? Is it because you are an inspiring fashion designer who gets soooo excited about all the fabulous colors of the rainbow?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top