Page / 5
Posted: 5/25/2015 7:39:13 PM EDT
These kids nowadays are really pushing it
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Ahhhhh...yes?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Eh, there's a right and a wrong way to do it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Legal in CA.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep,  I do it at every stoplight and only by cars that are already stopped.   I don't trust folks at all.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
These kids nowadays are really pushing it
View Quote

I see some of those guys going straight up retarded shit on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep,  I do it at every stoplight and only by cars that are already stopped.   I don't trust folks at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's either that or the sidewalk
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Legal in CA.
View Quote

Or illegal
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Great way to lose a foot or leg.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!

And yes it is legal in CA.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Great way to lose a foot or leg - or life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Kids are not the only ones doing it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a guy try to do a wheelie between me and another truck as we were doing about 65mph. He didn't make it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had a guy try to do a wheelie between me and another truck as we were doing about 65mph. He didn't make it.
View Quote

That would be an example of the wrong way to do it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The folks doing it through London (and filming their rides to work) are quite impressive and safe.

Of course, the English population doesn't have the same "ahh....hell no...how dare he" anti motorcycle attitude like the average American.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then wait the fuck in line like everyone else until the light turns green. Why is your destination so much more important than everyone else's? If you get squashed, you'll have no one to blame but yourself....if you survive.

ETA: I've been riding for over 19 years and pass other vehicles quite often on open roads, but lane splitting is just stupid especially since I'm never in a big rush when I'm on the bike.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Then wait the fuck in line like everyone else until the light turns green. Why is your destination so much more important than everyone else's? If you get squashed, you'll have no one to blame but yourself....if you survive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Example A
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Damn straight

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]

D'OH!  NOT the way to do it...

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all a matter of perspective.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ETA: I've been riding for over 19 years and pass other vehicles quite often on open roads, but lane splitting is just stupid especially since I'm never in a big rush when I'm on the bike.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

https://youtu.be/XihQeZpwqpE

beat to the punch..

View Quote

Read 'em and weep
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4ZGqfwNEM
View Quote

I like how his buddy just kept going.
These are the fuckheads that I can't stand.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Legal in CA.
View Quote

where you can see a motorcyclist being cleaned up with a shovel at least once a month.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lane splitting is childish and stupid. Should I pass a line of cars in the breakdown lane? because my car will fit there.

BTW I don't trust lane splitters.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't give a rat's ass about trying to squeeze between the mirrors of cars moving along at street (much less highway) speeds, but I really wish it were legal to move up through the stoplight "grid"

..because the one scenario that really skeeves me out is some valiumed-up soccer mom not seeing stopped traffic and flattening me against the rear bumper of the car in front of me as she barrels in at 40mph while updating her Facebook

Even watching my mirrors, I figure I might have about a second and a half to evaluate and react to that situation, and that's being optimistic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Not legal here but if it was I would do it with the caveat only at low speeds when it was safe.
I wish they would legalize it. Snowbird season is a bitch!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

where you can see a motorcyclist being cleaned up with a shovel at least once a month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legal in CA.

As somebody who grew up there and split lanes daily for almost 10 years...bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Completely and the roads are full of the dead and dying motorcyclist everyday.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legal in CA.

Completely and the roads are full of the dead and dying motorcyclist everyday.

Hey, Darwin has to earn his keep.

Thank God for fools and daredevils.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4ZGqfwNEM
View Quote

LOL - got them both.
I bet they blamed the car too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn straight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XihQeZpwqpE

Watch it full-screen to really bob-n-weave.

He'll be bumper juice one day.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As somebody who grew up there and split lanes daily for almost 10 years...bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legal in CA.

As somebody that still lives here, and has been riding for 20 years, and splits lanes in a safe manner, I too call BS!

BTW I am a commuter so I am on the freeways daily on two wheels!
And there is in fact a great deal of folks in cars that will hug the road to let me by, it is amazing!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't give a rat's ass about trying to squeeze between the mirrors of cars moving along at street (much less highway) speeds, but I really wish it were legal to move up through the stoplight "grid"

..because the one scenario that really skeeves me out is some valiumed-up soccer mom not seeing stopped traffic and flattening me against the rear bumper of the car in front of me as she barrels in at 40mph while updating her Facebook

Even watching my mirrors, I figure I might have about a second and a half to evaluate and react to that situation, and that's being optimistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I completely agree with you there. Stop lights and vehicles behind me are a major concern of mine as well. I always keep at least 8-10 from the guy in front of me, stay in gear, and watch my mirrors until we're moving again. I always leave myself an out should I need one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

As somebody that still lives here, and has been riding for 20 years, and splits lanes in a safe manner, I too call BS!

And there is in fact a great deal of folks in cars that will hug the road to let me by, it is amazing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legal in CA.

They do it because they don't want your bike and blood on their cars!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legal in CA.

Well shit, win/win then.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the safest place for me to be is as far away from cars as I can get at all times.  Filtering to the front and getting away from everybody ( after checking some fucktard isn't running the red light ) is the safeset place to be.    I could care less if you think it's wrong because I'm not "waiting in line " ready to get crushed by some vapid teenager on her cellphone coming up to all the stopped cars.  

You should try reading some of the studies about lane filtering and why it's better for folks in cars for traffic reasons and safer for the folks on motorcycles at the same time.   The educated tend to call it win win.

When you double your experience in years riding motorcycles we can talk about our similar observations.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because the safest place for me to be is as far away from cars as I can get at all times.  Filtering to the front and getting away from everybody ( after checking some fucktard isn't running the red light ) is the safeset place to be.    I could care less if you think it's wrong because I'm not "waiting in line " ready to get crushed by some vapid teenager on her cellphone coming up to all the stopped cars.  

You should try reading some of the studies about lane filtering and why it's better for folks in cars for traffic reasons and safer for the folks on motorcycles at the same time.   The educated tend to call it win win.

When you double your experience in years riding motorcycles we can talk about our similar observations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I'm not interested in a dick swinging contest over who's been riding the longest. You do not know me or the extent of my experience with motorcycles so please do not assume you know better than someone else simply because you have more years in. I've been witness to people repeatedly doing things wrong time and again. And not for nothing but California royally sucks so I'll just assume that since lane splitting is legal and widely accepted there, that it's more than likely a bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sorry, I'm not interested in a dick swinging contest over who's been riding the longest. You do not know me or the extent of my experience with motorcycles so please do not assume you know better than someone else simply because you have more years in. I've been witness to people repeatedly doing things wrong time and again. And not for nothing but California royally sucks so I'll just assume that since lane splitting is legal and widely accepted there, that it's more than likely a bad idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were the one that originally brought up how many years you had been riding like it was applicable to the discussion in any way, shape or form.   So now that somebody has more years than you it doesn't matter any more.  Got it.

And California has some of the best motorcycling roads in the country ( and the best laws for motos )    for once we aren't worse than the rest of the country.

You should go read some of the studies on lane filtering instead of assuming it's shit ( you know cause you said assuming anything was bad and all ).

When it comes to riding any extra info you can get that may save your ass is a good thing,   or you can stick with ignorance is bliss.  Your call.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

Did you get video?

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#42]
It's a good idea until some changes lanes infront of you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's a good idea until some changes lanes infront of you.
View Quote

At which point the vehicle is at fault for changing lanes in front of the idiot riding between cars/lanes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question: if it's so dangerous to be on a bike on a public road & you are so concerned for your personal safety, then why do you do it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You were the one that originally brought up how many years you had been riding like it was applicable to the discussion in any way, shape or form.   So now that somebody has more years than you it doesn't matter any more.  Got it.

And California has some of the best motorcycling roads in the country ( and the best laws for motos )    for once we aren't worse than the rest of the country.

You should go read some of the studies on lane filtering instead of assuming it's shit ( you know cause you said assuming anything was bad and all ).

When it comes to riding any extra info you can get that may save your ass is a good thing,   or you can stick with ignorance is bliss.  Your call.
View Quote

My mention of having ridden for 19 years was only to differentiate myself from those who would just assume bitch and complain about motorcycles for no reason. I figured my assumption would be OK since you made an assumption yourself about my riding credentials. Do you call it "filtering" because "lane splitting" just sounds like a dick move? You can keep your hipster lane splitting, filtering, or whatever the fuck you want to call it. I'll stick to my ignorance of hanging 10 offset from the car in front of me while in gear and ready to split. This way I only need worry about the people behind me rather than every damn car I drive between and around.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Did you get video?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get video?

I wish. His bike flipped end over end and he slid about 50yds into a guardrail.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always appreciate that when ten or twelve scooters, motorcycles, and bicycles come "lane splitting" up the road to park in front of and around my vehicle at a red light.  Really makes things interesting when the left turn signal comes on and they have no fucking clue that they're sitting in the middle of the traffic lane.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Serious question: if it's so dangerous to be on a bike on a public road & you are so concerned for your personal safety, then why do you do it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I love it.  I hope you don't live your life in a bubble,  that would suck.   Life has risks,  you deal with them the best you can,  in this case studies ( and my personal experience ) show than lane filtering to the front at lights mitigate the huge potential for rear enders sitting at lights,  strangely enough it's also one of the most common causes in car vs MC accidents ( folks turning in front of you is another,  SMIDSY is another thing you should understand to help mitigate that issue ).    Not doing my diligence in knowing and understanding the risks involved and the way to mitigate those risks just ups the chances for the stars to align and me having a really bad day.  I choose not to be ignorant about the things that can make my life more enjoyable,  a student of the craft if you will.   Yep  it's a zen thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My mention of having ridden for 19 years was only to differentiate myself from those who would just assume bitch and complain about motorcycles for no reason. I figured my assumption would be OK since you made an assumption yourself about my riding credentials. Do you call it "filtering" because "lane splitting" just sounds like a dick move? You can keep your hipster lane splitting, filtering, or whatever the fuck you want to call it. I'll stick to my ignorance of hanging 10 offset from the car in front of me while in gear and ready to split. This way I only need worry about the people behind me rather than every damn car I drive between and around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called lane filtering because that is the proper terminology.  You can call it whatever the fuck you want while you remain ignorant of the benefits that it offers you and others that you share the road with,   and buddy,  you better be worried about every car around you ALL THE FUCKING TIME before one catches you out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Legal in CA.
View Quote

One of the few things that IS legal in California. Should be a clue right there for the rest of the country to do the opposite.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top