Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BS...You would have to prove it to me. I'm well versed with CS. In fact I can't think of a worse stripper/solvent to use on park.

Once pigment gets into the park that's it, it's there. Oh you might reduce it to a haze if the paint was dark enough and cover it with oil but it's still there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats, your rifle is now worth 1/3rd less than what it was.

Bro, there's this cool new thing called paint stripper.

Good luck with that on park. You must not know how pigments and resin compounds work.

Citri-strip. Never had an issue of any kind.

BS...You would have to prove it to me. I'm well versed with CS. In fact I can't think of a worse stripper/solvent to use on park.

Once pigment gets into the park that's it, it's there. Oh you might reduce it to a haze if the paint was dark enough and cover it with oil but it's still there.

Okay...

This upper:

Painted the CS gel on and literally wiped it with a rag. No scrubbing, no hassle:

Sooooo... yeah. There ya go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Haha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha

LOL! I now have painters remorse for painting a $1200 scope because the resell value is shot
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Okay...

This upper:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/16387691267_0ed17315a6_b.jpg

Painted the CS gel on and literally wiped it with a rag. No scrubbing, no hassle:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7623/16892566956_d0d759ab23_b.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Okay...

This upper:

LOL....Nice try but Fail....I can see remnants of rattle can all over that upper.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha

LOL! I now have painters remorse for painting a $1200 scope because the resell value is shot

Hey if folks are going to post in GD their "artwork" that's fine but don't be all put-out if someone sees it as the folly it is.

Now had it been in a tech sub-forum I'd not say a word.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

LOL....Nice try but Fail....I can see remnants of rattle can all over that upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay...

This upper:

Okey dokie.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Okey dokie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay...

This upper:

Okey dokie.

This is where you tell him that's a different upper that's never been painted...
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is where you tell him that's a different upper that's never been painted...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay...

This upper:

Okey dokie.

Oh shit I missed my cue...

Hey well I got you good! That's an upper that's never been painted!

Nah, not really. I just can't muster up any fucks for what you think lol.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never painted an assembled gun before.  Wouldn't painting it that way cause some problems with moving parts, and leave some areas unpainted?
View Quote

No.

Plug the barrel, pull the BGC, pop in a magazine, close the ejection port cover and have at it.

There shouldn't be enough thickness of paint to impede the forward assist, safety, mag release, bolt catch etc. and of by some chance you got a glob in one of those areas, just knock it free.
As long as everything is buttoned up you wont get any measurable amount of paint inside.

As for leaving some areas unpainted - extend your stock all of the way out and flip the safety lever half way through the main job and you're good to go.  
Obviously the charging handle channel and inside of the ejection port door would be black but who cares?

ETA - I do like to pull off anything on the rails and paint them separately so the full rail gets coated - not leaving black areas if I ever move stuff.  
But that's just me.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who cares?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've never painted an assembled gun before.  Wouldn't painting it that way cause some problems with moving parts, and leave some areas unpainted?
View Quote

Never had any issues what so ever when painting any of my guns, assembled or disassembled.

In fact I have many painted guns from handguns to rifles. Not an issue at all. I have used Krylon  and Duracoat.. all guns function 100%
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey if folks are going to post in GD their "artwork" that's fine but don't be all put-out if someone sees it as the folly it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay...

This upper:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha

So, since this is GD, which allows Asshatery, you figured, WTF, I'll be a Douche bag. Because I can. Because it's GD.

SMH.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Who cares?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

Just pointing out that if some day the wolf is at the door and you have to sell your "modern art masterpiece" at a huge loss you will wish you never saw $15.00 worth of rattle-can.

Truth be told could not the same thing be accomplished buy just a few wraps of camo "vet tape" or burlap strips?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay...

This upper:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha

Why don't you go be a dick somewhere else?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay...

This upper:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha

What are you, a show car restorer?

THEY ARE GUNS !  shoot the fuck out of them, scratch them when in the field, scratch them in the over stuffed safe....who gives a damn about resale??

I'm not talking multi thousand Beretta shot guns or multi thousand double guns. But to me those aren't "guns" those are trophy show off guns.

AR's  (in fact all my guns) are like hammers in my tool box. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Guys these look good. I need to get my balls from my wife and try it, just too scared to ask.
View Quote

Start off with painting the handguards, grips, and stocks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just pointing out that if some day the wolf is at the door and you have to sell your "modern art masterpiece" at a huge loss you will wish you never saw $15.00 worth of rattle-can.

Truth be told could not the same thing be accomplished buy just a few wraps of camo "vet tape" or burlap strips?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good luck with that on park. You must not know how pigments and resin compounds work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro, there's this cool new thing called paint stripper.

Meh, I got Duracoat off before. Krylon would be easy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

THEY ARE GUNS !  shoot the fuck out of them, scratch them when in the field, scratch them in the over stuffed safe....who gives a damn about resale??

View Quote

LOL....I sure see a lot of those rattle-canned "tools" in the consignment section for the price of a un-dinked with example. Must be that custom rattle-can premium.  

Of course they sit there forever.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if the suspected troll is a real troll or what, meaning 1srelluc.  Being a member of this forum since 2006, this can't be the first time he's seen a painted gun.

I've been thinking about doing one or two of mine.  I figure, I built them, they're made of relatively inexpensive (compared to a name brand gun) parts and I really couldn't care less about resale value.  What's a registered SBR built on a PSA receiver really worth, anyway?  Probably not worth the price of the transfer fee to resell it, but it serves my purpose just fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LOL....I sure see a lot of those rattle-canned "tools" in the consignment section for the price of a un-dinked with example. Must be that custom rattle-can premium.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

Holy fuck.
Are you somebody's mother in law that found his account?
Go sit in your fucking rocking chair and knit something.  They are fucking guns not beanie babies.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not sure if the suspected troll is a real troll or what, meaning 1srelluc.  Being a member of this forum since 2006, this can't be the first time he's seen a painted gun.

View Quote

Meh, I get the same raft of butt-hurt every-single-time I mention it.

As much as folks here bitch about "Bubba-ing" a weapon I can't understand why they don't see a rattle can job in the same light.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As much as folks here bitch about "Bubba-ing" a weapon I can't understand why they don't see a rattle can job in the same light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can fix a rattle can job with mineral spirits or carb cleaner.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you.  It's not for sale.

Thanks for sharing though.

I appreciate your insight.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've been thinking about doing one or two of mine.  I figure, I built them, they're made of relatively inexpensive (compared to a name brand gun) parts and I really couldn't care less about resale value.  What's a registered SBR built on a PSA receiver really worth, anyway?  Probably not worth the price of the transfer fee to resell it, but it serves my purpose just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

He has really stepped up the derp recently
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

So?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

If you're that worried about value, you shouldn't even shoot the fucking thing.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well bubba.  This isn't the only AR I own.  It isn't a unique or historic firearm.  It is a tool.  It gets used.  It even has some scratches.

Since you're concerned with my financial investment I'll write a quick list of parts I used to build this that are now ruined...

DD CHF 14.5 barrel
Surefire SOCOM suppressor mount
Troy BUIS
Geiselle mk4 rail
Aero lower
ALG Defense trigger
B5 stock
Aimpoint T1 with LaRue mount
Surefire SOCOM suppressor

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well bubba.  This isn't the only AR I own.  It isn't a unique or historic firearm.  It is a tool.  It gets used.  It even has some scratches.

Since you're concerned with my financial investment I'll write a quick list of parts I used to build this that are now ruined...

DD CHF 14.5 barrel
Troy BUIS
Geiselle mk4 rail
Aero lower
ALG Defense trigger
B5 stock

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD CHF 14.5 barrel
Troy BUIS
Geiselle mk4 rail
Aero lower
ALG Defense trigger
B5 stock

Nooooooooooo!!!!!

Nice build. Nice paint.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

LOL...I shoot vintage weapons a hundred years older than I am but I don't have the slightest urge to paint them. They still hold their value too.

Truth be told I bet the comments would be a hell of a lot different were it a Colt AR-15 of some flavor that was rattle-canned.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks good
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice stick Vaquero45.  Looks good to me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a M1A Scout that is rattle canned. It will never be sold. It is rattle canned so it is camouflaged; no more, no less. A great way to stick out in the woods of subtropical in Florida is with a black gun in the green brush.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL...I shoot vintage weapons a hundred years older than I am but I don't have the slightest urge to paint them. They still hold their value too.

Truth be told I bet the comments would be a hell of a lot different were it a Colt AR-15 of some flavor that was rattle-canned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

That's amazing, you have an iron will... or impeccable taste... or... something. Idk man what are you fishing for? How should I validate you and make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Dammit now I want to paint a rifle!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice stick Vaquero45.  Looks good to me.
View Quote

Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#36]

I've posted this before but I like to chime in on the painted gun threads.  

I like this sumbitch.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks good. Did my Rem 700 SPS, and one of our ARs.

Same AR, but added a RDS
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Some people hate them, some love them. I have a couple with paint on. The painted ones get used more.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

People rattlecan colts here all the time, and yet the only person complaining is you
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

People rattlecan colts here all the time, and yet the only person complaining is you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone say rattle canned Colt?

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/sparky-kb/media/New%20rifle/20140902_153946_zpsfpfxufg_edit_1409713969701_zps2vlgpcbb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/sparky-kb/New%20rifle/20140902_153946_zpsfpfxufg_edit_1409713969701_zps2vlgpcbb.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/sparky-kb/media/New%20rifle/20140902_153946_zpsfpfxufg_edit_1409713969701_zps2vlgpcbb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/sparky-kb/New%20rifle/20140902_153946_zpsfpfxufg_edit_1409713969701_zps2vlgpcbb.jpg</a>

Damn, ruined the resell value
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a M1A Socom Scout that is rattle canned. It will never be sold. It is rattle canned so it is camouflaged; no more, no less. A great way to stick out in the woods of subtropical in Florida is with a black gun in the green brush.
View Quote

Meh, FL hogs did not seem to mind a black/stainless ML (Knight) when I  hunted them down there. Virginia deer don't either.

Turkeys are noted for extremely good vision and factory camo shotguns are the now the big thing.

Odd but the most successful turkey hunter I ever knew (sadly now passed) used a old Winchester Model 1897 with almost no finish left on it. I suspect his success was due to his skill-set being levels above his peers, not the color of his shotgun. He did not wear camo clothing either.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn, ruined the resell value
View Quote

Whoops.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#44]
They're rattle canning dime a dozen mass produced ARs or AR build made of mass produced parts. I've never seen anyone on this forum rattle can a vintage civil war Henry repeating rifle or a San Juan hill Gatling gun. Lighten up Francis.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Those are some very nice looking AR's, fellas; I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Meh, FL hogs did not seem to mind a black/stainless ML (Knight) when I  hunted them down there. Virginia deer don't either.

Turkeys are noted for extremely good vision and factory camo shotguns are the now the big thing.

Odd but the most successful turkey hunter I ever knew (sadly now passed) used a old Winchester Model 1897 with almost no finish left on it. I suspect his success was due to his skill-set being levels above his peers, not the color of his shotgun. He did not wear camo clothing either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a M1A Socom Scout that is rattle canned. It will never be sold. It is rattle canned so it is camouflaged; no more, no less. A great way to stick out in the woods of subtropical in Florida is with a black gun in the green brush.

And chances are, he'd be just as good with a rattlecanned shotgun

its not like it somehow makes it impossible to shoot
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Agreed. Simple but effective.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it looks good. Not over the top.
Agreed. Simple but effective.  

+ another.

Like.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Getting' ideas to paint the bitch.  But I can't get over the loss in value.  Is there a way to deduct that from our taxes?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would any buy a used AR these days. We can build them for $550
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think you would support people painting. You're the king of obtaining deals, more guns to get at 50% off unpainted value.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top