Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/24/2015 12:26:43 PM EDT
The Mrs. had a meeting with a potential client today and they wondered if she'd take BITCOIN as a form of payment.

She'd never heard of before and declined.

I know nothing of it. Seemed sketchy back when it was a thing and seems even sketchier now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure is.  And becoming more popular.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Bitcoin-related start ups get a lot of venture funding still.

Let me find an episode of a podcast I listen to where he interviews 2 bitcoin entrepreneurs.  They talk on an entry-level about it, the host knows little about Bitcoin.

I went through the process of setting up an account with the failed Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox in Japan, but didn't actually buy any.  Haven't heard of any similar collapses since then.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
BTC isn't going away, pretty stable in between 230-240 USD/BTC
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Bitcoin is still around and now there's a gold based one called Bitgold.

I'll go with the latter.

Mind you, both are subject to hacking, internet theft, seizure or fraud (Mt. Gox).
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a member become a millionaire and have to leave because of beggars. Really.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
How would someone take a payment via BC?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you just 'become a millionaire'?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'll go with the latter.

Mind you, both are subject to hacking, internet theft, seizure or fraud (Mt. Gox).
View Quote

Just like the banks you use too, right?   IIRC, many large banks just got hefty fines for market manipulation. No different really.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

All you need to do is set up a bitcoin wallet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the exchange rate to USD became very favorable to him and he cashed out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got in when it was cheap and the price went way up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://electrum.org/
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine/buy coins in the very early days at penniest to a dollar.  Many coins. Hold them.  Big rise in the BTC craze days of late 2013.  Sell and convert to USD.  Profit.  A lot of work, but has been done.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The block chain ( underlying transaction mechanism of bitcoin) is gaining a huge amount if interest these days.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just like the banks you use too, right?   IIRC, many large banks just got hefty fines for market manipulation. No different really.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll go with the latter.

What is your point?  Mt Gox was a bitcoin purse that vanished and took people's bitcoins.  Seizure made the US Govt one of the largest holders of Bitcoin.  Hackers & internet thieves have stolen millions in bitcoins.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What is your point?  Mt Gox was a bitcoin purse that vanished and took people's bitcoins.  Seizure made the US Govt one of the largest holders of Bitcoin.  Hackers & internet thieves have stolen millions in bitcoins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll go with the latter.

Bitcoin is just like cash.  You give someone your private key (or they take it), they can clean you out.  You don't follow the protocol rules ( like mt gox) and people can take advantage of your shitty programming and steal from you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll go with the latter.

Point is that's no different than robbers holding up a bank truck and making off with their cash bags, or some hacker getting your debit card info and emptying your account.

Put $100000 in cash under you mattress.   Get burglarized.   Do you get your cash back?

Eta:  speaking of seizure, wonder how much the war on drugs has brought in....
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Point is that's no different than robbers holding up a bank truck and making off with their cash bags, or some hacker getting your debit card info and emptying your account.    

Put $100000 in cash under you mattress.   Get burglarized.   Do you get your cash back?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll go with the latter.

If someone robs a bank truck I lose nothing. If someone uses by Debit Card I'm covered by fraud protection. If I put $100000 in a mattress I'm a fucking idiot. What is your point?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bitcoin is just like cash.  You give someone your private key (or they take it), they can clean you out.  You don't follow the protocol rules ( like mt gox) and people can take advantage of your shitty programming and steal from you.
View Quote

Concur with you DigDug.  That's why I don't do online banking.

I do like the idea of a currency (or better yet, money) that is not controlled by a central bank.  That part of bitcoin is valid.  However, it can easily be locked up if the internet kill switch is thrown.  The central banks do want us to move to a cashless society.  So much for anonymity in what you buy though.

Those "saver" or "club" cards offered by the supermarket stores are data gathering devices which those stores later sell.   I read somewhere where even insurance companies buy that information to calculate your health risk.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a thing. It's like a mountain you climb. In that it started really low, got really high in the middle of your trip, and is back to being really low again, and anyone that bothered to go the full way is now probably feeling miserable and exhausted and looking for a nice gradual hill to climb, like bonds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If someone robs a bank truck I lose nothing. If someone uses by Debit Card I'm covered by fraud protection. If I put $100000 in a mattress I'm a fucking idiot. What is your point?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll go with the latter.

So you're saying Bitcoin provides can't offer the same fraud mechanisms?  Getting reimbursed in another function separate from the cash/coin mechanism.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#25]
One thing bitcoin is not (IMO) is something to buy and hold.  It is not an investment.  It is a transaction currency that works very very well for small/micro transactions and also for send value to someone else in a very short period of time.

It is not completely anonymous, contrary to popular thought.  Look here to see real time transactions:  https://blockchain.info/

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$6m was about what he walked away with IIRC.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If banks get robbed you do get your money back. If an ID thief takes money from my account/card, I get it back. That's an analogy failure if I ever saw one

But I guess reinventing a worse wheel appeals to some people. "This one's got 8 sides, it's more sides than a circle! Improvement!" ca-clunk-ca-clunk-ca-clunk all the way to the virtual bank/wallet.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So you're saying Bitcoin provides can't offer the same fraud mechanisms?  Getting reimbursed in another function separate from the cash/coin mechanism.  
View Quote

Millions stolen by Australian hackers and hackers in Europe.  Mt. Gox closure.  Did anyone ever get their bitcoins back?  Bitcoin is not a regulatory agency or a bank.  It's a software that supports crypto-currency.  How is Bitcoin, a software, going to determine that the transfer was illicit?  There's no governing body.

Yes, I'm aware that every bitcoin transaction includes a history of its transfer, but there's no one who is going to step up and say to a thief, you don't own these.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

If banks get robbed you do get your money back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Up to $250k from the FDIC.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

Still traded for US Dollars. Wonder why that is?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Bit gold ehh..
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Peter Schiff accepts them and sends you gold.   He doesn't keep them but there is a service that converts bitcoins to dollars and after that transfer, he sends the gold.   I should have bought it when it crashed to pennies.

ETA:  This thread is moar fun that seeing all the tranny or brony threads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Or lots of other currencies, gold, silver.

Last I heard there is going to be a bitcoin ETF on one of the markets.  Many financial institutions are looking into using the blockchain as a way of validating transactions.

As I said originally, there is a lot going on with bitcoin.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If banks get robbed you do get your money back. If an ID thief takes money from my account/card, I get it back. That's an analogy failure if I ever saw one

But I guess reinventing a worse wheel appeals to some people. "This one's got 8 sides, it's more sides than a circle! Improvement!" ca-clunk-ca-clunk-ca-clunk all the way to the virtual bank/wallet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok so if your bank becomes insolvent or the U.S. goes Greece and the bank decides to halt ALL withdrawals, where is you so called money?  Pay up, your rent is due.  What?  You can't get access to your money?  Interesting.  

It's funny you avoided the cash analogy in your mattress.   Would you get that back too?   Because Bitcoin is more like cash than a debit card.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Up to $100k from the FDIC.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not how it works.

FDIC has nothing to do with bank robberies.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought a little, and am just sitting on it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Millions stolen by Australian hackers and hackers in Europe.  Mt. Gox closure.  Did anyone ever get their bitcoins back?  Bitcoin is not a regulatory agency or a bank.  It's a software that supports crypto-currency.  How is Bitcoin, a software, going to determine that the transfer was illicit?  There's no governing body.

Yes, I'm aware that every bitcoin transaction includes a history of its transfer, but there's no one who is going to step up and say to a thief, you don't own these.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I agree with you on the getting it back problem.  Again, like cash, once gone it's gone.   But providers offering refunds and reimbursements can be done, like coinbase or bitpay have done since in the US.  You are comparing foreign entities.  

Put your money into a Greek bank right now.  You won't?   Why not?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That's not how it works.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not how it works.

Robberies and Other Thefts

Stolen funds may be covered by what's called a banker's blanket bond, which is a multi-purpose insurance policy a bank purchases to protect itself from fire, flood, earthquake, robbery, defalcation, embezzlement and other causes of disappearing funds. In any event, an occurrence such as a fire or bank robbery may result in a loss to the bank but should not result in a loss to the bank's customers.

If a third party somehow gains access to your account and transacts business that you would not approve of, you must contact the bank and your local law enforcement authorities, who have jurisdiction over this type of wrongdoing.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ok so if your bank becomes insolvent or the U.S. goes Greece and the bank decides to halt ALL withdrawals, where is you so called money?  Pay up, your rent is due.  What?  You can't get access to your money?  Interesting.  

It's funny you avoided the cash analogy in your mattress.   Would you get that back too?   Because Bitcoin is more like cash than a debit card.    
View Quote

Currency under the mattress didn't work for folks in Weimar Germany, post WW I Austria and post WW II Hungary.  It didn't work for Zimbabweans either.  

When fiat fails, what makes you think Bitcoin survives?  Kill switch is thrown.  Then what?  Power grid goes down. Then what?  Real property, fine art and PMs have endured the test of centuries.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did he have a "going away" thread when he left?  I remember the thread about him getting paid and knew he was having a tough time dealing with the beggars...

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The easiest way for a traditional business in the US would be to set up a merchant account through a payment processor, and have transactions deposited in your bank account after instantly being converted to dollars.

I recommend, in order:

* Circle
* Coinbase
* BitPay

Note that this recommendation is for someone who is not interested in Bitcoin itself per se, and is not terribly concerned with things like the increasing regulation by and data sharing with the US federal government.

You can be up and running in a few minutes, and never worry about what a bitcoin is. It's about as complicated as setting up Square to take credit cards.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only difference between a Greek bank that holds its money in euros and Bitcoin is the former (euro) is fiat and the Bitcoin is virtual. As a virtual, it has no backing other than the faith of its holders.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Did he have a "going away" thread when he left?  I remember the thread about him getting paid and knew he was having a tough time dealing with the beggars...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just read the thread where he said he was cashing out when bitcoin was not at the top, but like $800+ per.  And in the thread a few parasites started coming out with "opportunities" for him.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recall him claiming to have 7m worth of bitcoin but was just starting the process of trying to figure out how to turn it into cash. Only a week or 2 later there was a massive scandal and the value tanked. If he actually did manage to cash in I never saw him come back and post anything about it...

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone have a link to the 6x millionaire's thread. Sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Currency under the mattress didn't work for folks in Weimar Germany, post WW I Austria and post WW II Hungary.  It didn't work for Zimbabweans either.  

When fiat fails, what makes you think Bitcoin survives?  Kill switch is thrown.  Then what?  Power grid goes down. Then what?  Real property, fine art and PMs have endured the test of centuries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're insane if you think that titled property or art will survive the immediate aftermath of the destruction of the power grid.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Money is fungible people, when a bank gets robbed it doesn't come out of your account.

You think your savings account is a big stack of cash in a vault with your name on it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The easiest way for a traditional business in the US would be to set up a merchant account through a payment processor, and have transactions deposited in your bank account after instantly being converted to dollars.

I recommend, in order:

* Circle
* Coinbase
* BitPay

Note that this recommendation is for someone who is not interested in Bitcoin itself per se, and is not terribly concerned with things like the increasing regulation by and data sharing with the US federal government.

You can be up and running in a few minutes, and never worry about what a bitcoin is. It's about as complicated as setting up Square to take credit cards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recommend, in order:

* Circle
* Coinbase
* BitPay

Thanks, I think we'll stay out of the Bitcoin arena for a while though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The only difference between a Greek bank that holds its money in euros and Bitcoin is the former (euro) is fiat and the Bitcoin is virtual. As a virtual, it has no backing other than the faith of its holders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bitcoin is a digital currency.

digital != virtual
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recommend, in order:

* Circle
* Coinbase
* BitPay

Your call. If you change your mind feel free to shoot me a PM, and I'll be happy to help you navigate those waters. I've been heavily involved in Bitcoin since 2011.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top