Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/24/2015 8:20:39 AM EDT
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/for-rick-perry-and-the-lone-survivor-a-father-son-relationship/2015/04/29/4c8cb0da-ed5e-11e4-8abc-d6aa3bad79dd_story.html

Good story

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. — Before he became immortalized as the "Lone Survivor,” a Navy SEAL­

who escaped a 2005 Taliban ambush on a mountain slope in Afghanistan, Marcus Luttrell was a broken man in search of a haven.

He found it one day in spring 2007 when, struggling to recover his body and mind and with the horrors of war still raw, he showed up unannounced at the Texas governor’s mansion and asked to see Rick Perry.

Over the ensuing months, a virtual father-son relationship blossomed, the two men said. The governor and his wife, Anita, helped bring Luttrell back to health. Perry used the power of his office to find Luttrell a spine surgeon to fix his back. The Perrys gave him a spare bedroom — "I was the creepy guy in the attic,” Luttrell recalled. The governor took him bass fishing, the first lady counseled him about his love life and, as Luttrell became ­famous — first with a best-selling memoir, "Lone Survivor” and ­later in the movie adaptation — they were his rock.

"When I came into the Perry family, it was one of those deals where it was the only family I had,” said Luttrell, who was born in Houston and grew up in Texas near the Oklahoma border. "I didn’t have that father figure growing up like that, somebody who genuinely cared about me. .?.?. Governor Perry taught me how to be a good man.”

Perry and Luttrell shared their story in an extensive interview with The Washington Post and in an appearance here Monday night at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. They are drawing attention to their unusual relationship as the now-former governor prepares to launch his second presidential campaign.

(you can read the rest at the link)

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's awesome.
View Quote

Yes, it is

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Perry seems to be like W.

He may occasionally do things that make you go but there is no denying he is a good man.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's awesome.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Perry seems like a good man.  I don't know what happened during the presidential debates.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He may occasionally do things that make you go but there is no denying he is a good man.
View Quote

Yup. He's the real deal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Perry seems like a good man.  I don't know what happened during the presidential debates.

View Quote
He's not that good of an impromptu speaker.  That does not equate to being a bad leader or a bad person, though, no matter how much the media would like to make us think so.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
He's not that good of an impromptu speaker.  That does not equate to being a bad leader or a bad person, though, no matter how much the media would like to make us think so.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The same thing would have happened if he had shown up at Barak and Michelle's house, right?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I feel the same way, especially compared to this Marxist abomination currently sitting in the WH.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Good for the Perry's. He has my vote if Cruz doesn't make it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I feel the same way, especially compared to this Marxist abomination currently sitting in the WH.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. In our country's history it was never necessary to question whether or not a person running for President would put America first. The last two elections changed that and boy, what a price we'll be paying for those elections.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Perry is a good man and has my vote.  Seriously, what does being able to speak impromtu in front of a camera have to do with being a good President?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Perry is a good man and has my vote.  Seriously, what does being able to speak impromtu in front of a camera have to do with being a good President?
View Quote
I agree

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's awesome.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

According to his damage control he had injured himself biking and was loaded up on pain killers during the debate.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look what happened when we elected the best TelePrompter reader.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Impromptu?

WTF, is that revisionist Texas history or something?

He froze in a nationally televised GOP debate for goodness sake.

Sorry but that's when you bring your A-game. He failed miserably and justly suffered for it.

In before the pain med apologists. Don't care.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Why does that quiet professional need help?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Elaborate please.

Good on the Perry's. Sad that it took intervention by a Governor's office to get a surgery to fix a service related injury - at least the quote implies service related.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Elaborate please.

Good on the Perry's. Sad that it took intervention by a Governor's office to get a surgery to fix a service related injury - at least the quote implies service related.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Elaborate please.

Which part?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Which part?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elaborate please.

Which part?

Lol, it's not like you had a complex sentence or anything.  You know what he's asking and why.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Lol, it's not like you had a complex sentence or anything.  You know what he's asking and why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Elaborate please.

Which part?

Well, let's start with quiet professional. With a poorly written book. And a badly acted movie.  Super quiet.

Needs help, why?  Serious question on that one.  Many guys get broken and get out of the military and somehow are able to to stand on their own two feet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Cool story.

But can you really just show up at the governors house and ask for a place to stay?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#27]
The term Quiet Professional is used in context with Special Forces, not Navy SEALs.  Marine's aren't known for their reluctance to tell every soul about their time in either

This dude was broken physically and mentally.  He reached out for help and it was given.  Lots of people do that, whether through family, groups, friends, VA, etc.  Many more decide to eat a gun.  I have a hard time understanding why you'd question that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Luttrell is my personal hero for so many reasons, and Ive always loved Perry. Two great men, and to see one help the other, only solidifies it.
Greatness comes in large doses in Texas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's the difference between being electable or not.  I like RP, but unless the stars align somehow, he will never become President.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Americans are morons.
They would rather elect an empty suit carpet bagging snake oil salesman with a silver tongue than a down to earth leader who may not give perfect speeches but will do the right thing for his country and its people.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I wish Perry hadn't come across as a bumbling Bush-esque boob in the last election cycle. He seems like a good guy but in this country, in a general election, we don't elect the best people. We elect the best politician.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Needs help, why?  Serious question on that one.  Many guys get broken and get out of the military and somehow are able to to stand on their own two feet.
View Quote

I think there is a lot of data that indicates otherwise on the standing on their iwn two feet - otherwise there wouldn't be organizations/efforts aimed at helping vets find jobs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know Perry that well and he didn't get the chance to express himself that well in the 2012 campaign. Politics is all about smoke and mirrors now anyway... an eloquent speaker (even with a teleprompter) beats honesty...

and these pictures sum up the difference between bush and obama:

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The term Quiet Professional is used in context with Special Forces, not Navy SEALs.  Marine's aren't known for their reluctance to tell every soul about their time in either

This dude was broken physically and mentally.  He reached out for help and it was given.  Lots of people do that, whether through family, groups, friends, VA, etc.  Many more decide to eat a gun.  I have a hard time understanding why you'd question that.
View Quote
Me too

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't think Marcus asked for help from the Gov. Office. He got help from Rick Perry , who happened to be the Gov. Don't know if this was pre Gov mansion fire or Post. He very well may have had someone who knew Rick and set up a meet at one of the houses. They are good people, pretty personable to boot. I've had the opportunity to meet Rick and Anita on numerous occasions as my Father and he were Freshmen Reps, elected in the same cycle. There was a 30 year age seperation, they became good friends. Rick is a former C130 pilot and flew the Collings B-24 right up Congress Ave over the Capitol.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
What part of Lone Survivor did you not get?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Impromptu?

Sorry but that's when you bring your A-game. He failed miserably and justly suffered for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impromptu?

Yeah, because this Liberal Douchefag you guys have elected in Virginia would make a great POTUS, right?  

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I don't think Marcus asked for help from the Gov. Office. He got help from Rick Perry , who happened to be the Gov.
Don't know if this was pre Gov mansion fire or Post. He very well may have had someone who knew Rick and set up a meet at one of the houses. They are good people, pretty personable to boot. I've had the opportunity to meet Rick and Anita on numerous occasions as my Father and he were Freshmen Reps, elected in the same cycle. There was a 30 year age seperation, they became good friends. Rick is a former C130 pilot and flew the Collings B-24 right up Congress Ave over the Capitol.
View Quote
That is what happened I believe

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/for-rick-perry-and-the-lone-survivor-a-father-son-relationship/2015/04/29/4c8cb0da-ed5e-11e4-8abc-d6aa3bad79dd_story.html

Good story

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. — Before he became immortalized as the "Lone Survivor,” a Navy SEAL­
who escaped a 2005 Taliban ambush on a mountain slope in Afghanistan, Marcus Luttrell was a broken man in search of a haven.

He found it one day in spring 2007 when, struggling to recover his body and mind and with the horrors of war still raw, he showed up unannounced at the Texas governor’s mansion and asked to see Rick Perry.

Over the ensuing months, a virtual father-son relationship blossomed, the two men said. The governor and his wife, Anita, helped bring Luttrell back to health. Perry used the power of his office to find Luttrell a spine surgeon to fix his back. The Perrys gave him a spare bedroom — "I was the creepy guy in the attic,” Luttrell recalled. The governor took him bass fishing, the first lady counseled him about his love life and, as Luttrell became ­famous — first with a best-selling memoir, "Lone Survivor” and ­later in the movie adaptation — they were his rock.

"When I came into the Perry family, it was one of those deals where it was the only family I had,” said Luttrell, who was born in Houston and grew up in Texas near the Oklahoma border. "I didn’t have that father figure growing up like that, somebody who genuinely cared about me. .?.?. Governor Perry taught me how to be a good man.”

Perry and Luttrell shared their story in an extensive interview with The Washington Post and in an appearance here Monday night at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. They are drawing attention to their unusual relationship as the now-former governor prepares to launch his second presidential campaign.

(you can read the rest at the link)
View Quote

Maybe I'm misremembering, and I loaned the book out, but doesn't Lone Survivor talk about Marcus and his brother being taken swimming by their father? Or the family gathering at the ranch during his ordeal in Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't know Perry that well and he didn't get the chance to express himself that well in the 2012 campaign. Politics is all about smoke and mirrors now anyway... an eloquent speaker (even with a teleprompter) beats honesty...

and these pictures sum up the difference between bush and obama:

View Quote

W > 0
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I didn't remember Luttrell badmouthing his father in LONE SURVIVOR.  I pulled out my copy and reread several passages about his growing up and he speaks well of his father and the values that his father instilled in him.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#45]
FPNI!

Well done Perry Family!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well,, if God can forgive Perry for being Al Gore's campaign manager, I guess I can.

That does give you a pretty good idea of how far left the Democratic party has gone though...
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That does give you a pretty good idea of how far left the Democratic party has gone though...
View Quote

Yep.

There was a thread on DINOs a while back that I talked about how in the 90s and earlier it wasn't just a joke that a Texas democrat could actually be more conservative than a New York republican.  That's no longer the case, state level party politics have aligned more closely with the national parties, and the Dem party has gone hard, hard left.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#48]
A celibrity seeking veteran who has turned his fame into a fortune with a none-to-accurate bok and a fictional movie meets a politician in a highly unlikely feel good story pushed out by publicists?  Zero chance of bullshit there.

I bet an amputee E-4 truck driver who had showed up at the governor's mansion demanding to see the governor would have gotten a nice intro to the criminal justice system.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Good for Perry.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A celibrity seeking veteran who has turned his fame into a fortune with a none-to-accurate bok and a fictional movie meets a politician in a highly unlikely feel good story pushed out by publicists?  Zero chance of bullshit there.

I bet an amputee E-4 truck driver who had showed up at the governor's mansion demanding to see the governor would have gotten a nice intro to the criminal justice system.
View Quote

This story is setting off my bullshit-o-meter as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top