Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 39
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Married last night?  You're supposed to be all up in that right now instead of on GD.  This won't end well...

And where are the pics?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got married last night and NOW you show me this article? Nice timing Rob.

Married last night?  You're supposed to be all up in that right now instead of on GD.  This won't end well...

And where are the pics?

We're sitting in the international terminal at dfw
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I would avoid marriage and kids in this country these days.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Me too. Never again.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been divorced for 8 years and will never get married again.
Me too. Never again.    
Probably a plus one here, too.

I was married 17 years to a woman who was disgusted by her work acquaintances who had affairs, etc..  called them home wreckers, gold-diggers, etc... and stopped associating with them.

She moved out in January.  I've since found out she was in a relationship for 2 years prior.  Talk about breaking your fucking spirit, and will to ever go through anything like that again.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I guess I am missing the funny part?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choose wisely?  What a bunch of garbage that thought process is.  I can't see far enough into the future to know if I am going to accidentally stub my toe on a bed post, or if a random part on my car will break; how can one possibly "choose wisely" when dealing with an entity (man or woman) that is fluid?  You can never know if the person you are choosing will at some point cheat on you, or have a tragic life changing event that causes irrevocable mental changes yet we are supposed to choose wisely.

Let me put it another way.  The people in this thread that "chose wisely" are the ones that have been married for 20+ years (and as a side note, still not immune to the problems above) to a completely different generation of people.  Modern day people are shit, just flat out.  Men and women both.  I've met and dated women that upon first meeting and courting are perfectly normal.  One ended up in a mental hospital twice for self harm and was a raging alcoholic.  Neither of those problems showed up until several months into the relationship.  Another had two kids and only cared that she had rights to one.  Yet still had time and money to smoke pot every night and get drunk on the weekends.  That one showed colors much earlier and I got out once they showed.  My point is not "pity me" rather its to say women (since I am a guy) these days are not raised to the same standard many of the older people here are accustomed to.  This generation thinks its okay to be promiscuous under the cover of spring break.  Or act like total whores so long as they can blame it on being drunk.

Men can act just as bad, but from a marriage aspect we don't have the courts on our side.  We can't win in the law's eyes.  Why would we put ourselves out there in such a way that we could get taken through the ringer with no ability to fight it?  If a man is shitty to his wife and they get divorced the woman doesn't have to worry about losing her stuff to him.  Case in point; a good friend of mine's brother courted and dated this super sweet amazing "old fashion raised" country girl for a couple years before marrying her.  After being married for a couple years and having a son together he ended up taking three jobs to make ends meet, came home one night to find her in bed with one of her high school students (she was a teacher).  He paid for THE number one divorce lawyer in this state and ended up losing custody of their son, has visitation rights every couple of weeks and is not allowed to even DATE another girl (let alone marry) until their son is 18 (which will be another 10-12 years from today).  She cheated, he lost.  He married a girl that was "raised right" yet still lost.

Choose wisely.  Yeah, keep sticking to that.

Laughed too as the courts can't tell you you can't date nor do they really GAF unless he/ she's injecting heroin into your veins while the dependent child is holding the TQ.

Because it's bullshit. Courts do not tell you you can't date or remarry. Even DURING a divorce, courts will not typically get into it even if it is the reason for the divorce.

And if he had supposed actual proof of her boffing a student, the po po or local media would be fighting for a piece of the action. The media are ruthless animals when i comes to inappropriate relationships between students and teachers no matter the sex. [though the actual punishment tends to be very different leniency wise]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

not saying those women can't be found, but things are different now, compared to 30 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been married 30+ years.  Raised two children.  I have all my same friends.  I've pretty much always done / bought whatever I wanted.    You need to find a woman who is strong enough to stand on her own, but still wants / needs the partnership gained by marriage.  We are a couple...  but not at the expense of losing our individuality.  Be picky.  Choose wisely.

not saying those women can't be found, but things are different now, compared to 30 years ago.

I'm convinced that you are 100% correct.  

I coach varsity high school football, and several of the coaches on our staff are teachers in their mid to late 20's and are single.  Each one of them has a bevy of beautiful young women on the line at any given time.  But they have superficial dates, which are nothing but a preamble to sex, and then they move on.  These guys don't even have to call these girls.  These girls send out nude pics (which they share with all of us)  and an offer to hook up later.  

I ask these guys during our down times..   What's her family like?  What is important to her?  What are her politics?  They have no clue.  Shit!   I was married and had two children when I was their age.  So yes, things have changed.  

Look..  I'm a Type A,  Alpha type guy.  But my marriage isn't ALL about ME.  If it's important to my wife, it's important to me.  We talk (and don't always agree) and are respectful to one another.  I love her, so I want her to be happy.  But I can still be myself and make her happy.  And vice-versa.  

OK...  I'm gonna give all you young guys some pro tips.  To quote Foghorn Leghorn, "Listen to me boy..  I'm givin you gold nuggets, here!"  

Rule #1...  Overlook the little shit.  Don't even bring it up.   (95% of the wimminz BS is right here).  Just ignore it.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  
Rule #2...  If you can' overlook it, talk about it.   Sit down and have a conversation.  Communicate.  She ain't a fuckin gypsy mind reader.  
Rule #3...  Listen more than you talk.  And they don't want you to solve their problems.  Just listen.  
Rule #4...  This is the hardest one...  You don't always have to have the last word.  

Look...  I'm no guru.  This is what works us.  It may not work for you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
i have had two bad marrages, and two divorces. there were a lot of things i used to bitch about that caused the divorces... she did this, she did that, but what i have realized over the years, is one thing. its my fault that both marrages ended in divorce.

because, i should have never married either of them in the first place.

i should never have married either woman. i dated one 3 months before asking her to marry me, and the other 6 months before i asked her. i SHOULD have dated both women for at LEAST 1-2 years before i ever proposed..... because if i had, i would have never wanted to marry either one after dating them for about 6 months, and i had time to look at things, and see what they were really like.

if i could do ONE thing, to help marrage in this country be much more successful....its much to easy to get married.... and has been mentioned, much to easy to get divorced.... and the women know they can just bail and be much better off financially... which drastically cuts down peoples need to fix things and make it work. .. i would implement a one year waiting period... you apply for your license... and it goes into effect one year after you apply... and you can then get married. if your really in love, and your a good match.. a year will do nothing to your relationship but make it stronger.... but, if your dating someone who is not right for you, theres a damn good change that during that 1 year waiting period, you will see new shit.. and decide hell no, im not marrying this person.

i think the article is right on several things.

1. waiting to have sex until your deeper into the relationship..... thats damn important. ESPECIALLY if your a woman... anytime i ever got sex quickly in a relationship... i pretty much immediately lost interest in getting to know the woman after that... its sad, but true. i told both my daughters that men are not emotion like women.... if you make a guy work a long time to get sex, they usually try to REALLY learn about you, and what you like... and by the time they get sex, they are emotionally involved.

2. the feminist movement has left men really confused about how to treat women. you open the door for one woman, and you get a smile... you do it for the next one, and get cussed for being a evil man... " i can open my own damn door". etc.  i dont want to sound like a male chauvinist... but when the man, and the woman have certain roles.. it makes it much easier to know what your responsibilities are....... and in the article, when the woman is not taking care of the man... and she does not want the man to take care of her etc.... it fucks things up... because after a while, you just stop trying, because you dont know what the hell to do....

i guess thats why im so happy with my current woman... shes a old school country girl... who wants to mother everyone, and take care of her man.... and wants a man who treats her like a woman, and opens doors for her, etc........ but she can easily take care of herself.. shes not helpless..... she just WANTS a traditional relationship.... and she wants to work a job.....  its great having a woman who wants you to be a man, and be manly, and do manly things... and she respects it...

i will marry this girl one day... we have been dating for almost 3 years now, and we learn more and more about each other.. and it just feels more right all the time.

id bet that if everyone would date for several years... before they proposed.... and then had a long engagement... we would be seeing a much, much lower rate of divorce in this country..... if for no other reason, fewer people would be getting married to the wrong person.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Meh. You choose to feel and act that way. Women get lied to so they'll sleep with men. We get called names if we don't put out. We get called names if we do. It's a cold, cruel world out there. You can let it eat at you. You can choose to let it define you. Or you can go be awesome and do awesome things and not care what some random person calls you.

Sometimes men don't even realize that they are sabotaging themselves. Just yesterday, one of the "all women are gold diggers" sorts was saying in another thread that he won't even pay attention to a woman unless her hair was done up, she was wearing a ton of makeup, jewelry, and a short skirt. And that he had seen a couple women that could have been acceptable if he had been able to a take them out shopping. He deliberately chooses high maintenance women, then calls women gold diggers.

Everyone can have something they choose to be bitter about. It's certainly your right to be bitter if you want to be. But in the end, it's still a choice.
View Quote

While you were working hard to pivot my point to being my fault, you completely missed the point I was making.

I am a man.  I cannot and do not want to change that.  As a man, I have to look at the situation in front of me and deal with that.  What I see is a see of greed, and very few that are wiling to mutually sacrifice and work towards mutual goals.  Everyone is focused on "what I get right fucking now!!!!" instead of "what do we need to do to achieve our goals?"

Now, not everyone is that way.  

You misrepresent me in order to attempt to make how I feel appear petty.  Problem being is that I have goals I want to achieve.  If a person isn't benefitting those goals, then they are a burden, not a help.  I don't need sex enough to burden myself in a very real legal sense when I can just do it without that burden.

On the other hand, I've found a partner that is willing to work towards common goals and therefore we are more powerful together than apart.  She's not a burden.  She contributes, just like I do.

I've dated plenty of girls in the past that thought that merely existing and putting out a few times a month was good enough.  It's not.  Especially when you add in their drama, baggage, and "needs."

Ultimately it is lamenting a lack of quality people in the world.  It's the realization that we aren't playing on a level playing field.  It's the realization that a great majority of women see men as a wallet, and a great many men see women as a pussy.  That's the sad part.  It's also the reason why we have so many failing relationships.

And very often it seems, people cannot tell the difference between a partner and a john-hooker situation.

That is what I am saying.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]
This is precisely why I refuse to get married again.  I went through it once.  Gave it a good hard college try for 10 years.  It's fucking pointless from a male perspective.

I fully plan on finding a good woman, being faithful to her, and being a good man for her, but I will be goddamned if I am signing any legal contract that can ruin my life.  Again.

My belief on this nowadays:  Marriage, in the legal, contractual sense, is complete bullshit.  Neither party in a marriage should require a "guarantee" in the form of a contract.  If you want me to be a good man for you, then be a good woman for me.  It's a two way street, and I feel that many, both men and women, think that once they are married, they no longer have to "try"

Well... fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#9]
The "Choose Wisely" stichk is like a reporter asking a presidential candidate "Knowing what we know now, should we have gone to war in Iraq?".

The only way to understand that question is with hindsight.  The correct answer is always......with the best information we had at the time.....it was the right thing to do.

One more point and then I'm done for this week.  The system (Divorce industry/Alimony/Child Support/BigGov) is broken.  They know it's broken but they absolutely do not want to fix it because it generates money and gives power to Judges, Magistrates, and organizations filled with SJW types who under normal circumstances would be scrounging through dumpsters looking for food or giving blowjobs in alleys behind auto repair shops and bars.

I'm calling bullshit!!  Why?  Because you don't stop working on your relationship after you say "I DO".  If you think that the wedding day is the end, you are fucking mistaken.  It takes hard work by two people.  A good marriage doesn't happen by chance!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The "Choose Wisely" stichk is like a reporter asking a presidential candidate "Knowing what we know now, should we have gone to war in Iraq?".

The only way to understand that question is with hindsight.  The correct answer is always......with the best information we had at the time.....it was the right thing to do.

One more point and then I'm done for this week.  The system (Divorce industry/Alimony/Child Support/BigGov) is broken.  They know it's broken but they absolutely do not want to fix it because it generates money and gives power to Judges, Magistrates, and organizations filled with SJW types who under normal circumstances would be scrounging through dumpsters looking for food or giving blowjobs in alleys behind auto repair shops and bars.

I'm calling bullshit!!  Why?  Because you don't stop working on your relationship after you say "I DO".  If you think that the wedding day is the end, you are fucking mistaken.  It takes hard work by two people.  A good marriage doesn't happen by chance!!
View Quote

And you can deny the SJW's, the judges, magistrates and lawyers their due quite easily.  

Don't get married.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And you can deny the SJW's, the judges, magistrates and lawyers their due quite easily.  

Don't get married.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get married.

I don't disagree with you.  Not at all.  It's not right for everybody.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

this...... there are men( and women)  who are like.... " why do i need to take my woman on dates?  im married to her im done with that shit", and i dont need to work out, or take care of myself, theres no need for that romance bullshit...im married now ! ! .. i reached the finish line and im safe at home plate.....    just like their are women who think, " im married now, theres no need to give blowjobs, or have sex, or fix myself up anymore, or watch my weight", that was stuff i did to catch a man.. i landed him,, reached the end..so no more of that shit.. etc.  its thinking like that, that results in people being unhappy.... and unsatisfied, etc.  hell, its false advertising.. its like buying a ferrari... and after the warranty expires, it turns into a vw bug... your going to be fucking disappointed as hell.. wheres the damn thing i agreed to buy? i agreed to marry this other person... and now they turned into someone i would never damn even date.

you are never DONE in a relationship.... you ALWAYS need to be thinking of the other person, what they might need, or what they might want... whats bothering them.. why its bothering them...  talk.... etc..... its relationship maintenance, and its as important as changing the oil in your car, to keep your car working properly, and getting the longest life you can out of it. or replacing missing shingles on your house.... getting married and thinking "your done now", is like buying a house, and thinking your done... and never replacing missing shingles, or painting it... give it a few years and it will be falling down, and look like shit, with rotten support beams.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Just look at how the deck is stacked concerning so-called spousal "abuse".

All the woman has to do to smack her head against a door, get some police woman to take pics of her mug, file a abuse complaint, and there go your guns and the right to buy another.

I'd never re-marry or suggest that anyone else get married until there is real redress in the way men are treated in court.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Or you can go be awesome and do awesome things and not care what some random person calls you.
View Quote

so how come you're not coming to CW5?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've been divorced almost a year.

I will get married again, just better choices next time
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
The system is indeed stacked against men, especially fathers.  I gained custody of mine - cost me $105k in legal fees to do it though, and it was glaringly obvious that the best decision was to give me custody.

Once I was divorced and started dating, I realized that the women I met were at least as shallow and conniving as any "playboy' men I knew.  Just my small (well, there were a *lot* of women, but hey) sample size, but there it is.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Serious?

Congrats to you and compass!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Seriously. Back to the article.

Suzanne Venker is pointing out the truth on how men in this country are being treated by the so-called norm from the left and the aiding media. We have all commented on the commercials that portrays men as being dumb and stupid while the woman is always smarter.

The article is true in this case. She is standing up for the abuse, and disrespect to men by degrading them.

View Quote
Yep.  "Married with Children" was the last show that did not portray men as bumbling idiots and women as rocket scientists.

Look up the TV series "Married with Children" on Roku or whatever and check it out.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Unlike women, men lose all power after they say "I do.” Their masculinity dies, too.

View Quote

Oh for fuck's sake.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Serious?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious?

Srs

Thanks! I know I picked a good one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

this...... there are men( and women)  who are like.... " why do i need to take my woman on dates?  im married to her im done with that shit", and i dont need to work out, or take care of myself, im married.. i reached the finish line and im safe at home plate.....    just like their are women who think, " im married now, theres no need to give blowjobs, or have sex, or fix myself up anymore, or watch my weight", i landed him,, reached the end.. etc.  its thinking like that, that results in people being unhappy.... and unsatisfied, etc.

you are never DONE in a relationship.... you ALWAYS need to be thinking of the other person, what they might need, or what they might want... whats bothering them.. why its bothering them...  talk.... etc..... its relationship maintenance, and its as important as changing the oil in your car, to keep your car working properly, and getting the longest life you can out of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this...... there are men( and women)  who are like.... " why do i need to take my woman on dates?  im married to her im done with that shit", and i dont need to work out, or take care of myself, im married.. i reached the finish line and im safe at home plate.....    just like their are women who think, " im married now, theres no need to give blowjobs, or have sex, or fix myself up anymore, or watch my weight", i landed him,, reached the end.. etc.  its thinking like that, that results in people being unhappy.... and unsatisfied, etc.

you are never DONE in a relationship.... you ALWAYS need to be thinking of the other person, what they might need, or what they might want... whats bothering them.. why its bothering them...  talk.... etc..... its relationship maintenance, and its as important as changing the oil in your car, to keep your car working properly, and getting the longest life you can out of it.

THIS is a dammed good comment!!  You've hit the nail on the head!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Agreed. I was speaking of the ones that brag about deliberately screwing it up, though. I've seen several guys boasting about it right here on Arf.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suzanne Venker is pointing out the truth on how men in this country are being treated by the so-called norm from the left and the aiding media. We have all commented on the commercials that portrays men as being dumb and stupid while the woman is always smarter.

The article is true in this case. She is standing up for the abuse, and disrespect to men by degrading them.

While I agree that this portrayal sucks, I have also heard men boast of deliberately fucking up simple household chores (laundry, folding clothes, dishes, ironing, etc) simply so their wife never asks them to do that stuff again. If men act stupid about simple things, then they can hardly complain when they are portrayed as stupid.

Or their wife is such a micromanaging perfectionist that he can never do anything right... So he eventually throws up his hands and lets her do it... At which point he gets excoriated for being lazy and unhelpful.

It's a special kind of hell being married to Mrs. You-missed-a-spot.

Agreed. I was speaking of the ones that brag about deliberately screwing it up, though. I've seen several guys boasting about it right here on Arf.

Seems like a big part of your analysis and argument is predicated on this. If no one else has asked so far, could you please cite an example or two? Links...copy and paste...whatever. Personally, I've never in my life heard of anyone, male or female, screwing up tasks on purpose to get out of doing them in the future. Not calling you out, mind you, but it's just that I've never seen or heard of it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Move. Here you get everything you come into the marriage with and the property acquired after the marriage is divided 50/50.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Half?????

How about 95%.

Move. Here you get everything you come into the marriage with and the property acquired after the marriage is divided 50/50.

Same here but it doesn't mean a damn thing until the kids are divided 50/50 also. I got the best advice ever from my lawyer. He said trade assets for time because you don't want this to go in front of a judge. It cost me everything but my tools, truck and clothes. It was worth every penny.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Srs

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious?

Srs

Oh Wow. Congrats to you and Compass!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or you can go be awesome and do awesome things and not care what some random person calls you.

I am.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seems like a big part of your analysis and argument is predicated on this. If no one else has asked so far, could you please cite an example or two? Links...copy and paste...whatever. Personally, I've never in my life heard of anyone, male or female, screwing up tasks on purpose to get out of doing them in the future. Not calling you out, mind you, but it's just that I've never seen or heard of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree that this portrayal sucks, I have also heard men boast of deliberately fucking up simple household chores (laundry, folding clothes, dishes, ironing, etc) simply so their wife never asks them to do that stuff again. If men act stupid about simple things, then they can hardly complain when they are portrayed as stupid.

Or their wife is such a micromanaging perfectionist that he can never do anything right... So he eventually throws up his hands and lets her do it... At which point he gets excoriated for being lazy and unhelpful.

i have heard people using that tactic.....bragging to their friends who hate doing laundry.....  " i hate doing laundryto..... but i have not had to do any in years.. what i did  was ... , i dumped everything into one load, red shirts with white bedsheets, and white shirts...and washed it all on hot, etc... and i did it everytime she asked me to do the laundry...    she was so mad, she banned me from doing laundry..... "    just another fucking game/ scam  people play.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have been divorced for longer than that. And I don't see myself getting married again.

It isn't for most of the reasons usually stated: it is strictly a business decision.
I am not willing to risk my assets or my freedom just to get married. It simply isn't worth it.
By the way, when I say freedom, I am talking about a disgruntled woman saying I abused her and then I am convicted of domestic violence. And in a lot of cases (most cases ?) her saying it, is all that it takes. I am not willing to lose my right to own a gun because I was so bored that I couldn't stand to be alone. Shit, now we have this whole rape thing where a year after the fact someone decides that they were raped. And it's taken seriously in court.

That article uses the phrase I have been using for years: What is in it for me ?
I would think that anybody with any sense at all asks themselves this question any time they make a decision, even if it is subconsciously. If I do this, what is the upside ? How could this be a big mistake ?
If I sit down, take a piece of paper, draw a line down the center and put the upsides in one column and the downsides in the other column, I see that one column is full and the other side has a couple entries. Then I take this information and weigh it against the cost of failure and it becomes a no-brainer.
FWIW: I am way too old to have kids, so that isn't even a consideration.

This whole thing about choosing wisely is horseshit.
If it turned out great for you, you chose wisely.
If it didn't, you didn't choose wisely.
The problem is that almost everyone that gets married thinks they are choosing wisely AT THE TIME.
There is no way to predict the future.
It is like randomly picking the same card out of a deck of cards. You pull one card, shuffle, and if you pull the same card again, you chose wisely.

I really like women. I enjoy being around women. I don't use or abuse women. A woman doesn't have to be a goddess for me to find them attractive. I would love to be in a great relationship.  But all that isn't worth the potential consequences of a bad marriage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me too. Never again.    

I have been divorced for longer than that. And I don't see myself getting married again.

It isn't for most of the reasons usually stated: it is strictly a business decision.
I am not willing to risk my assets or my freedom just to get married. It simply isn't worth it.
By the way, when I say freedom, I am talking about a disgruntled woman saying I abused her and then I am convicted of domestic violence. And in a lot of cases (most cases ?) her saying it, is all that it takes. I am not willing to lose my right to own a gun because I was so bored that I couldn't stand to be alone. Shit, now we have this whole rape thing where a year after the fact someone decides that they were raped. And it's taken seriously in court.

That article uses the phrase I have been using for years: What is in it for me ?
I would think that anybody with any sense at all asks themselves this question any time they make a decision, even if it is subconsciously. If I do this, what is the upside ? How could this be a big mistake ?
If I sit down, take a piece of paper, draw a line down the center and put the upsides in one column and the downsides in the other column, I see that one column is full and the other side has a couple entries. Then I take this information and weigh it against the cost of failure and it becomes a no-brainer.

The problem is that almost everyone that gets married thinks they are choosing wisely AT THE TIME.
It is like randomly picking the same card out of a deck of cards. You pull one card, shuffle, and if you pull the same card again, you chose wisely.

I really like women. I enjoy being around women. I don't use or abuse women. A woman doesn't have to be a goddess for me to find them attractive. I would love to be in a great relationship.  But all that isn't worth the potential consequences of a bad marriage.

NEWSFLASH: "Choosing wisely" isn't a one time occurrence. If that's your takeaway, well then it's obvious why you're failing, 'cause you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy Fucked up quote tree Batman.  

How does that Preview button work?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am.

glad you'll be there, but I don't see your name on the run list
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decent article that has its marits, as far as the court system goes it is heavely stacked against the man.

No kidding. It really is. So it pays to choose wisely in the first place, assuming you are going to choose at all.

Many men don't choose wisely, though. They date around until they decide they're ready to settle down, and then, rather than seeking out the best possible candidate for happily ever after, they just put a ring on the one they're with at the time and call it good. Bad strategy for mate selection if you want a happy, healthy marriage.

And if you decide marriage isn't for you, that's fine. Don't blame anyone or act hateful, resentful, or entitled. Just own your choice and go on about your life.

Choose wisely?  What a bunch of garbage that thought process is.  I can't see far enough into the future to know if I am going to accidentally stub my toe on a bed post, or if a random part on my car will break; how can one possibly "choose wisely" when dealing with an entity (man or woman) that is fluid?  You can never know if the person you are choosing will at some point cheat on you, or have a tragic life changing event that causes irrevocable mental changes yet we are supposed to choose wisely.

Let me put it another way.  The people in this thread that "chose wisely" are the ones that have been married for 20+ years (and as a side note, still not immune to the problems above) to a completely different generation of people.  Modern day people are shit, just flat out.  Men and women both.  I've met and dated women that upon first meeting and courting are perfectly normal.  One ended up in a mental hospital twice for self harm and was a raging alcoholic.  Neither of those problems showed up until several months into the relationship.  Another had two kids and only cared that she had rights to one.  Yet still had time and money to smoke pot every night and get drunk on the weekends.  That one showed colors much earlier and I got out once they showed.  My point is not "pity me" rather its to say women (since I am a guy) these days are not raised to the same standard many of the older people here are accustomed to.  This generation thinks its okay to be promiscuous under the cover of spring break.  Or act like total whores so long as they can blame it on being drunk.

Men can act just as bad, but from a marriage aspect we don't have the courts on our side.  We can't win in the law's eyes.  Why would we put ourselves out there in such a way that we could get taken through the ringer with no ability to fight it?  If a man is shitty to his wife and they get divorced the woman doesn't have to worry about losing her stuff to him.  Case in point; a good friend of mine's brother courted and dated this super sweet amazing "old fashion raised" country girl for a couple years before marrying her.  After being married for a couple years and having a son together he ended up taking three jobs to make ends meet, came home one night to find her in bed with one of her high school students (she was a teacher).  He paid for THE number one divorce lawyer in this state and ended up losing custody of their son, has visitation rights every couple of weeks and is not allowed to even DATE another girl (let alone marry) until their son is 18 (which will be another 10-12 years from today).  She cheated, he lost.  He married a girl that was "raised right" yet still lost.

Here is what the original post looked like.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've been married to the same woman for 30 some odd years. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of truth in that article.

Personally, I think it's more the fault of the family court system than anything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That article will play well here at dysfunctional male headquarters.

I've been married to the same woman for 30 some odd years. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of truth in that article.

Personally, I think it's more the fault of the family court system than anything else.

Bingo. If women were made to suffer on parity to men going through a divorce most of these problems would disappear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have no plans to leave Mrs_pony anytime soon, but if anything happened between us or if she were to die before I do, I will NEVAR get married again.

Snip.......
View Quote

+1 ; but with Mrs Palm.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If their masculinity "dies" after they get married, they didn't have any to begin with.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

i have heard people using that tactic.....bragging to their friends who hate doing laundry.....  " i hate doing laundryto..... but i have not had to do any in years.. what i did  was ... , i dumped everything into one load, red shirts with white bedsheets, and white shirts...and washed it all on hot, etc... and i did it everytime she asked me to do the laundry...    she was so mad, she banned me from doing laundry..... "    just another fucking game/ scam  people play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly so. I don't have specific threads or posts bookmarked, but it's been said here many times. And of course in real life too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Because it's bullshit. Courts do not tell you you can't date or remarry. Even DURING a divorce, courts will not typically get into it even if it is the reason for the divorce.

And if he had supposed actual proof of her boffing a student, the po po or local media would be fighting for a piece of the action. The media are ruthless animals when i comes to inappropriate relationships between students and teachers no matter the sex. [though the actual punishment tends to be very different leniency wise]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laughed too as the courts can't tell you you can't date nor do they really GAF unless he/ she's injecting heroin into your veins while the dependent child is holding the TQ.

Going into the situation I was hesitant and called bullshit as well.  I have known him and his family for going on 10 years now and none of them stand to gain anything by lying about what happened.  I am still unsure how they can enforce the ruling but I know that he was told he would also lose visitation rights for violating the order.

As far as the student goes, my understanding was that he had turned 18 and as such acted on his own.  This was well before all the current trend of teachers sexing their students and obviously wasn't enough to make news I guess.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Easy there, Jane.  I'm not a member of the he-man-woman-haters club.

I tend to be appreciative when somebody tries to do something for me (unless they create mass destruction... Like trying to change my oil, and using transmission fluid or something) but some people you just can't please.

It's like the old expression "he'd complain about a blow job."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And men don't do the same to their wives?  I'm inclined to think they do, since in the course of my infrequent visits to Jezebel and HeartlessBitches to see what the girls are up to, I see them throwing precisely the same kind of shitfits seen here daily.

Easy there, Jane.  I'm not a member of the he-man-woman-haters club.

I tend to be appreciative when somebody tries to do something for me (unless they create mass destruction... Like trying to change my oil, and using transmission fluid or something) but some people you just can't please.

It's like the old expression "he'd complain about a blow job."

I knew someone who did that- complained about his blow jobs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#38]
She is right especially about the inequity of the laws when it comes to divorce.  Custody of children should not automatically go to the mother.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am.

I may run if there's a chance, but I won't take take a slot away from a legitimate contender.

IOW, I know I won't do great, so I will give the opportunity to those better than I am. But if they don't show up, I'll take advantage of their laziness.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

NEWSFLASH: "Choosing wisely" isn't a one time occurrence. If that's your takeaway, well then it's obvious why you're failing, 'cause you're doing it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me too. Never again.    

You are correct.
I am doing it wrong.
I have no ability to predict the future.
I wish I did.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

i have heard of court  orders during divorces, that forbid the woman or man from having other men / women in the house with the kids...or from spending the night, etc, for the kids mental health and other reasons.  not forever.. but for a time at least..
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I guess I'm "happily married" do I wish she would some things different? YES.  Does she wish I would do this or that or whatever else more or less or different? Hell yea!  But, we have a beautiful 4 year old daughter and despite our differences we do our best to work through things.  Neither of us is perfect but we have made a commitment to each other and now we have a responsibility to our daughter, and their were some vows exchanged in front of family, friends, preacher, and GOD that are pretty important to us both.  I could be wrong and she could leave tomorrow, but I hope not.  If we did split up I would not marry again.  I love my wife, but she can grate on me like no other!  We have been through some ups and downs over the last 7 years, an d while thats not that long I think we both decide that we would be happier and better off together.  Fight? YUP!  But we usually reconcile at some point.  That was the hardest part for us was for each to admit fault, we are both ASS stubborn and prideful people.  Most people do not want to put the effort into a marriage is my opinion.  She is probably a better person than me no doubt, but I'm getting better.  Oh, and she is way hotter than me too!  Neither of us are perfect and we have come to know that marriage is WORK WORK WORK.  Hopefully we make.  Two of my goals are for us to sit on a porch and watch Grandkids play in the yard, and I plan on her burying me, and coming to join me a few years later in the same spot.(She is younger)  I may not get these things, but I plan to do what I can to make em happen.-----My 2 cents
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You are correct.
I am doing it wrong.
I wish I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.
I am doing it wrong.
I wish I did.

That sucks. Some of us are just gifted with "common sense." It's a super secret soviet time travelling, see into the future mind control.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

i have heard of court  orders during divorces, that forbid the woman or man from having other men / women in the house with the kids...or from spending the night, etc, for the kids mental health and other reasons.  not forever.. but for a time at least..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Overnight stays while the kids are present can be fought over but the court ordering you not to date, or remarry after the divorce was finalized, nahhh, that would get tossed in a heartbeat.

Usually the primary custodial parent starts to play that game but then realizes that it can easily be turned on them so it's dropped in court. That doesn't mean that the custodial parent won't find something else to try and mess with the non custodial parent. [because they will is it's an acrimonious split]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would avoid marriage and kids in this country these days.
View Quote

WISDOM HERE.  

The coming years are going to be very bad in this country as our government continues to sell us out to the international bankers and corporations.

And as they let in ever more third-world people who will not assimilate into our culture - they want to break our culture.

Who, in their right mind, would want to bring children into this country the way it is getting now?

I don't care if you find the best American woman since Betsy Ross.  Think long and hard about bringing new babies into this rapidly disintegrating  country.

Of course, if you are an inner-city welfare savage or an illegal Mexican or a third-world Muslim, you will then probably want to have 10-15 children each.  

Teddy Kennedy must be laughing in his grave as he watches all of this unfold.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Choose wisely using proper criteria, and you will have a happy, peaceful home full of children and joy that will last a lifetime. Material stuff turns to junk over time. Family is all that ultimately matters in this world. The responses in this thread to the contrary are unbelievably sad and cynical. I guess that is where we are as a society.

I'm apparently the rare, happy exception. My wife is pregnant with our fifth child, and third boy. I couldn't be happier about it.
View Quote

You're happy because you were discriminating about your choice in a wife.

Too many people aren't selective enough when they say "I do" and they pay an awful price.

I know a lot of miserable married people who settled, the few happy ones I know didn't settle.

Life is too short to be with someone who isn't everything to you.

Marriage isn't for everyone.  For those that know that day one and stay single I applaud you, those that do it because it's the thing to do, you must lead a very miserable existence.

What feminism has yet to publicly acknowledge is that it has created a generation of women now that are for the most part what my mother would call "not marriage material".

I refuse to settle, but for us younger guys it's a lot tougher to find a suitable wife than it was for my father's generation.  That's just basic math.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Me too. Never again.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me too. Never again.    

Same here!
Hell I was married for 10 years. Lived together for a year before.
When living together things were fine. Once we got married that all went out the window.!

"Aren't you going out too much with your friends?"
"Do you need to hunt and fish so much"
"Your friends are over at our house too much"
"You don't really need that Motorcycle anymore do you"
"You don't spend enough time with me anymore!"

Now not a damn thing had changed in my behavior. Or what we did. Things just changed in her mind!

The happiest day in my life after getting married.  Was when my DIVORCE was final!

The only reason I didn't leave was because of the kids. I put up with her shit because of them.
I did try to spend as much time away from her as possible. Without being too obvious!
Hell I even got the House, my car, and the kids in the Divorce settlement!
I did get ALL of the bills though. But it was worth it!
She just wanted to party again with her single and married girlfriends!
She's on her 3rd husband as of last count!

Holy fuck I was so lucky.

You couldn't pay me to ever get married again. I have way too much to lose now.

I'll play house for a while. But as soon as I hear any of that familiar crap.
It's Honey, this isn't going to work. I think you need to move out.
Never let them get rid of their house or apartment. They need somewhere to go!

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
These threads depress the hell out of me.

Mainly because at nearly 38 years old I am painfully aware of what is missing in my life.    Never been married and no kids and from a certain point of view much better off than many single guys my age.   In another sense, pathetically worse off in terms of what might be considered a fulfilling or rewarding in terms of a family life.

But it is increasingly becoming a question of what is the point or why bother.   It is a sad depressing outlook on life but it is a safe one.

After having seen friends, family, co-workers raked over the coals, some of it deserved, I know that the one thing I can exercise control over is my lonely single life.

The salt in the wound is knowing I dont have a mindset towards being able to do casual relationships or flings.   I wind up being the first to fall and the scars that come from that run deep.

The women I get along well with are already happily married.   There is no pressure or awkwardness between us.   I wind up jealous as hell of who they are and that they are in a place where they are happy with another person.    I am not a religious person but I know the dangers and the poison that envy can have in one's heart.   I try to take recognition of that fact and use it to become somewhat more self aware.   But that often only leads to an awareness of something I would rather avoid thinking about.

The gal I work closest to the other day was standing behind me I guess checking me out or having an inner monologue with herself.   I caught her and told her she must either have a friend she wants to introduce me to or is going to make a comment about relationship status.    She laughed and said, "you know that if you didnt want to be single there is no reason why you couldnt find a woman."    Compliments regarding wit/humor along with other attractive personality traits.    She is married and after 6 months she recognized that which a lot of other married women have kinda figured out about me.   I have a bit of an introverted Eeore personality that helps keep random strangers at bay.   The cynical pessimist helps to cement the fact that I dont run around everywhere smiling with enthusiastic good charm.    But take the time to get to know me and it actually isnt so bad or even part of a charm.    That is what the co-worker was figuring out the other day when I caught her staring at me.

But to try to get through all the bullshit dating and the effort needed to cut through the mine field of what is out there.

Jesus christ it scares the living shit out of me.  No joke.   I am afraid.    Have dodged the bullet with some already while also still deeply affected by the one that got away.   After 5 years I still wake up in the morning and she is my first thought and often one of my last thoughts before going to bed.

It isnt that I cannot be devoted to one person.   It is that I want to be devoted to one person but cannot cope with the possibility of choosing poorly, being taken for a sucker, or just dealing with the fact that people change.

In the end it is easier to know the future of dying alone and with a bunch of shit than risking it all and dying alone after having nearly everything taken from you.

As it stands I have been working 40-70 hours of over time per 2 week pay period for the past 6 months.   Over the last 2 years I have averaged more than 30 per pay period and often working every single weekend.   Why?    Because working 12-16 hours a day limits my exposure to sitting at home alone in an empty house.

I had my first week and weekend off from overtime last week.   It drove me fucking nuts.   Like a sharp counterpoint that came crashing down and accentuating the fact that something is missing.   I was supposed to go out of town to meet a cute gal that I have been talking to over the past two years.    I called it off because I didnt think it would be fair to her.   Would like to see her during a high rather than a low.  I wound up spending time with my dad working on a transmission.   Hence the reason I have so many projects and hobbies that I cannot count.   Something to take the edge off and get me focused on something else.  

Sad to say.   Women kinda scare the shit out of me these days.    Maybe I will meet one some day that can be that best friend for the rest of my life but I really have my doubts.   To the point that I spend large portions of my day quietly thinking about this shit.   It is always just beneath the surface and has been for a really long time.

I know this.   I am extremely picky and not without good reason.    I dont know how others can go around having random casual sex.   It isnt for me but in some strange reason I almost envy that ability.    The ability to detach or even let go.     Friends at work notice how uptight I am and make some flippant comment about needing to get me laid.    It couldnt be more opposite of what I need.    The fact is the next time I get laid, at the rate I am going, I may need boner pills.   And I dont care.

/tldr maybe I should just grow a neckbeard and a fedora...
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#50]
"Why men won't marry yoo."

"It's cause I'm too macho for them."
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top