Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 39
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This post would be funny if it wasn't so true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That article will play well here at dysfunctional male headquarters.

This post would be funny if it wasn't so true.

LOL,  of course a man who doesn't want to get married must be dysfunctional.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Or their wife is such a micromanaging perfectionist that he can never do anything right... So he eventually throws up his hands and lets her do it... At which point he gets excoriated for being lazy and unhelpful.

It's a special kind of hell being married to Mrs. You-missed-a-spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously. Back to the article.

Suzanne Venker is pointing out the truth on how men in this country are being treated by the so-called norm from the left and the aiding media. We have all commented on the commercials that portrays men as being dumb and stupid while the woman is always smarter.

The article is true in this case. She is standing up for the abuse, and disrespect to men by degrading them.

While I agree that this portrayal sucks, I have also heard men boast of deliberately fucking up simple household chores (laundry, folding clothes, dishes, ironing, etc) simply so their wife never asks them to do that stuff again. If men act stupid about simple things, then they can hardly complain when they are portrayed as stupid.

Or their wife is such a micromanaging perfectionist that he can never do anything right... So he eventually throws up his hands and lets her do it... At which point he gets excoriated for being lazy and unhelpful.

Agreed. I was speaking of the ones that brag about deliberately screwing it up, though. I've seen several guys boasting about it right here on Arf.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been married 30+ years.  Raised two children.  I have all my same friends.  I've pretty much always done / bought whatever I wanted.    You need to find a woman who is strong enough to stand on her own, but still wants / needs the partnership gained by marriage.  We are a couple...  but not at the expense of losing our individuality.  Be picky.  Choose wisely.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I wasn't blaming anyone.  Just trying to throw some cold water on the argument that "choosing wisely" is the guaranteed antidote to unhappiness and divorce.  Whenever these threads show up, there's a contingent that claims that "choosing wisely" could have avoided the divorce.  But there's also a statistical certainty that some of those who are today claiming the "choose wisely" argument will someday be divorced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no guarantee. That's life. There's no guarantee on anything. Choosing wisely is a better start, though, than picking any old broad out there, assuming you're going to make the choice.

And if you don't feel like making the choice, that's fine too. It's OK to not get married. Just own the choice and quit blaming someone else. If you don't feel like putting forth the effort to choose wisely, or the fact that there's no guarantee scares you, you probably shouldn't get married anyway.

I wasn't blaming anyone.  Just trying to throw some cold water on the argument that "choosing wisely" is the guaranteed antidote to unhappiness and divorce.  Whenever these threads show up, there's a contingent that claims that "choosing wisely" could have avoided the divorce.  But there's also a statistical certainty that some of those who are today claiming the "choose wisely" argument will someday be divorced.

You choose wisely.  As with anything, you can make decisions at the start that increase the odds of an acceptable outcome.  However, that choice is just the beginning.  After that, it still requires work, every day.  And that's a good thing, not a bad one.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You choose wisely.  As with anything, you can make decisions at the start that increase the odds of an acceptable outcome.  However, that choice is just the beginning.  After that, it still requires work, every day.  And that's a good thing, not a bad one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no guarantee. That's life. There's no guarantee on anything. Choosing wisely is a better start, though, than picking any old broad out there, assuming you're going to make the choice.

And if you don't feel like making the choice, that's fine too. It's OK to not get married. Just own the choice and quit blaming someone else. If you don't feel like putting forth the effort to choose wisely, or the fact that there's no guarantee scares you, you probably shouldn't get married anyway.

Good comment.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm beginning to think WWIII will be men vs. women.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Choose wisely using proper criteria, and you will have a happy, peaceful home full of children and joy that will last a lifetime. Material stuff turns to junk over time. Family is all that ultimately matters in this world. The responses in this thread to the contrary are unbelievably sad and cynical. I guess that is where we are as a society.

I'm apparently the rare, happy exception. My wife is pregnant with our fifth child, and third boy. I couldn't be happier about it.
View Quote

Good for you, hope that never changes.

You realize your family is only yours because she wants it that way.....for now.

If the day comes that she no longer wants you in the picture, the fact that your family is so important to you will mean nothing. Most women will use it to destroy you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If their masculinity "dies" after they get married, they didn't have any to begin with.
View Quote

delayed adolescence must die first and then a male can become a man
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The trick to even things out is to stay married long enough that nobody else will want them. That means when you are in your fifties or sixties the man gets the upper hand. Of course the best years of your life were already wasted.  
View Quote

Much truth here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In this video a close friend of Robin Williams describes how his vampiric ex wives sucked the life out of him.

The whole video is good, but if you skip to 35:00 that's where he really starts hitting nails on the head.

If someone can imbed that would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diyuAXzN7yo
View Quote

The too long-can't watch........No punches pulled.  Women are the heart of the Free Shit Army.  Lose your job as a wife don't expect to get paid.  Get fired from your job as a wife.....don't expect to get paid.  Alimony and the vampires that sucked the life out of Robin Williams (former wives and the courts) is what killed him.  Wives with Alimony are whores who are getting paid for how much they hated living with you and having sex.  

He's right ya know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The choosing wisely thing is thrown out when someone has fairly obviously made a poor decision. Or 87.

Anecdote: a friend is in the process of his 3rd divorce. When he was dating this girl, it was constant drama. She was very emotionally high maintenance, manipulative, and controlling, but he liked how "exciting" she was. Once she even called the cops on him during a fight, claiming DV. He married her anyway, after only a couple months of dating. And a few months later, they are divorcing. Imagine that. He chose very poorly. And all his friends (myself included) were trying to warn him away the entire time. He ignored us and eventually quit speaking to us because she wouldn't allow it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Choosing wisely" is no guarantee that a man won't get screwed by some woman in divorce court someday.  His ability to discern the future is no match for the legal system.

The choosing wisely thing is thrown out when someone has fairly obviously made a poor decision. Or 87.

Anecdote: a friend is in the process of his 3rd divorce. When he was dating this girl, it was constant drama. She was very emotionally high maintenance, manipulative, and controlling, but he liked how "exciting" she was. Once she even called the cops on him during a fight, claiming DV. He married her anyway, after only a couple months of dating. And a few months later, they are divorcing. Imagine that. He chose very poorly. And all his friends (myself included) were trying to warn him away the entire time. He ignored us and eventually quit speaking to us because she wouldn't allow it.

The obvious ones are easy to see in advance.

I have a friend who married a woman that was wonderful.  We (his friends) even thought he had found a keeper.  Two children and eight years later, she had turned into an untrustworthy wife, and the divorce was unpleasant and expensive, at least for him.  Anyone who knew the two of them before the wedding, and for the first five or six years of the marriage would have sworn that he was one of the few who had chosen wisely.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"Choosing wisely" is no guarantee that a man won't get screwed by some woman in divorce court someday.  His ability to discern the future is no match for the legal system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decent article that has its marits, as far as the court system goes it is heavely stacked against the man.

No kidding. It really is. So it pays to choose wisely in the first place, assuming you are going to choose at all.

Many men don't choose wisely, though. They date around until they decide they're ready to settle down, and then, rather than seeking out the best possible candidate for happily ever after, they just put a ring on the one they're with at the time and call it good. Bad strategy for mate selection if you want a happy, healthy marriage.

And if you decide marriage isn't for you, that's fine. Don't blame anyone or act hateful, resentful, or entitled. Just own your choice and go on about your life.

No shit, Sherlock. Thanks for those wise words of wisdom.

There are zero guarantees in life. You can get killed walking your doggy! Yet, you can mitigate a lot of situations by choosing wisely.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are zero guarantees in life. You can get killed walking your doggy! Yet, you can mitigate a lot of situations by choosing wisely.
View Quote

Don't walk your doggie?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Move. Here you get everything you come into the marriage with and the property acquired after the marriage is divided 50/50.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Half?????

How about 95%.

Move. Here you get everything you come into the marriage with and the property acquired after the marriage is divided 50/50.

Not sure where "here" is but I seriously doubt that's how it actually works.  The laws in the state where I was assraped said similar things......but the reality and practice was something completely different.   I took the debts......all of them. She got the property.....all of it......I managed to keep what she didn't steal when she cleaned out the house while I was out of town......She got the kids (and somehow child support magically doubled and became retroactive) and the alimony lottery.

This divorce/alimony/child support industry has grown into one of the biggest scams in America and is just one of a dozen wounds that is killing America. You have got to be out of your fucking mind to marry today----absolutely batshit Russian Roulette with three rounds crazy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suzanne Venker is pointing out the truth on how men in this country are being treated by the so-called norm from the left and the aiding media. We have all commented on the commercials that portrays men as being dumb and stupid while the woman is always smarter.

The article is true in this case. She is standing up for the abuse, and disrespect to men by degrading them.

While I agree that this portrayal sucks, I have also heard men boast of deliberately fucking up simple household chores (laundry, folding clothes, dishes, ironing, etc) simply so their wife never asks them to do that stuff again. If men act stupid about simple things, then they can hardly complain when they are portrayed as stupid.

And men don't do the same to their wives?  I'm inclined to think they do, since in the course of my infrequent visits to Jezebel and HeartlessBitches to see what the girls are up to, I see them throwing precisely the same kind of shitfits seen here daily.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The dozen or so married guys in the world that are actually happy love to say that. Apparently they are all psychics. Me personally, I would use my skills to play the market or lottery but they use to kick other guys while they're down. "Well you met her in church bro, it should've been obvious she'd get strung out on meth and run away with a biker 10 years down the road. You chose poorly."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That statement always makes it into these topics and always makes me laugh.  I thought I had "chosen wisely" until one day my ex decided to do something "unwise".

The dozen or so married guys in the world that are actually happy love to say that. Apparently they are all psychics. Me personally, I would use my skills to play the market or lottery but they use to kick other guys while they're down. "Well you met her in church bro, it should've been obvious she'd get strung out on meth and run away with a biker 10 years down the road. You chose poorly."

My wife and I started on rocky ground.  For a wide variety of reasons, neither of us were ready for a marriage (issues within ourselves, issues between each other), and certainly not ready for a marriage to each other.  It has been a very tough experience, working through these issues.  In the end, the fact that we DID work through these issues, and continue to work on these issues (for ourselves, for each other) have made us BOTH far better, happier, and healthier.  As individuals, and as a unit.  

We're a happily married couple NOT because it's been all pixie dust and unicorn tears during our marriage...we're a happily married couple because of the work we've had to put forth to keep it.  To earn this happiness.  To appreciate it.  We've seen the lengths our partner will go to, to overcome self-defeating personal issues.  To overcome core (and some would say, dysfunctional) parts of our personalities.  To see the (painful) personal changes someone will go through, to be a better spouse, creates a bond of it's own.  It's an intimacy level, a trust level, an appreciation level, we never knew.  Eventually, we learned that our "completely opposite personalities" were not a bad thing...they were complimentary, allowing the strengths in our spouses to shore up our shortcomings.  Rather than becoming angry at these "frustrating" differences, we've learned to appreciate them, respect them, even -admire- them because they combine to make Us (marriage) stronger than us (individuals).

The older I get, the more I feel this life is an exercise.  While most people feel the "point" of the exercise is to tabulate "stuff" at the end, I feel the real point is to review the decisions you made on your way.  I feel it's less about accumulation, and more about personal growth.  And very rarely does growth come about due to something coming easily or naturally.  Unfortunately, these days, people only want easy and natural.  If there's any friction, discomfort, or unhappiness, people simply want to change the geography, rather than look into themselves and see how they may have contributed to the issue, how to correct it, and how to use this information to better the rest of their lives.

And I'll be the first to say, sometimes the "till death do us part", or "divorce is wrong in God's eyes" life raft is what's needed to allow us to cross an ocean of problems.  We consider ourselves to be living a charmed life these days, and I feel it's because of the difficult times we went through, which "opened our eyes".
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Agreed. I was speaking of the ones that brag about deliberately screwing it up, though. I've seen several guys boasting about it right here on Arf.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read it also, many were nothing more then tongue in cheek humor though some were likely based in fact.

I've done the same thing in the past with cooking [I DON'T bake worth a damn though], however, I have always been the much better cook [hell, do Mothers even teach their daughters to cook anymore?] then any wife or GF I have had and I suspect a few of those deliberately sabotaged meals because they didn't like to cook.  One warning sign for me now is someone telling me they "don't cook," well OK, and I'm not paying for your meal when we go out either............doesn't go over well. [and yes, I have had them over and cooked for them so it's not a one way street]

FWIW, alimony is the most evil thing ever thought up by the legal system. Split assets at time of divorce equitably and that's all the damn money she [and very occasionally he] gets, weekly or monthly stipends past that is nothing but legalized slavery.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've been married 30+ years.  Raised two children.  I have all my same friends.  I've pretty much always done / bought whatever I wanted.    You need to find a woman who is strong enough to stand on her own, but still wants / needs the partnership gained by marriage.  We are a couple...  but not at the expense of losing our individuality.  Be picky.  Choose wisely.
View Quote
That will be hard to find outside of a few pockets in the country.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have a friend who married a woman that was wonderful.  We (his friends) even thought he had found a keeper.  Two children and eight years later, she had turned into an untrustworthy wife, and the divorce was unpleasant and expensive, at least for him.  Anyone who knew the two of them before the wedding, and for the first five or six years of the marriage would have sworn that he was one of the few who had chosen wisely.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly, not for everyone.

And yes, sometimes bad shit happens that no one could predict. Life has no guarantees. Choosing wisely and continuing to put effort into creating and maintaining a good relationship and marriage help mitigate a lot of the risk, but life is not a risk free adventure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#20]
My wife told me this weekend that I should buy another 1911 and not put VZ grips on it so she can shoot it. (The Operator IIs were "too sharp for [her] delicate hands.")

I see another Springer in my future.

Still wouldn't get married again.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If their masculinity "dies" after they get married, they didn't have any to begin with.
View Quote

I agree here but being masculine and getting married may be two different subjects.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And on the other end of that argument, since marriage was started as a religious institution, the government should have no say in it. There shouldn't be a divorce court, if you want a divorce that should be between you, your God, your wife, and your church.
View Quote

Ayup.  "Marriage" should be a religious covenant.  No more, no less.  As this is between you, your spouse, and your God, who/where your marriage is "recognized" should be a non-issue.  This is a spiritual issue.

A "civil union" (or whatever else you want to call it), should exist on the legal side.  Taxes, property, insurance, caregiving authorizations, etc.

The two would likely be related, but not inexorably intertwined; rather, there would be a correlation, not a causation.  

Unfortunately, the word "marriage" has been applied to both, until they have been (erroneously) merged into the same thing, in the public's eye.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No kidding. It really is. So it pays to choose wisely in the first place, assuming you are going to choose at all.

Many men don't choose wisely, though. They date around until they decide they're ready to settle down, and then, rather than seeking out the best possible candidate for happily ever after, they just put a ring on the one they're with at the time and call it good. Bad strategy for mate selection if you want a happy, healthy marriage.

And if you decide marriage isn't for you, that's fine. Don't blame anyone or act hateful, resentful, or entitled. Just own your choice and go on about your life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decent article that has its marits, as far as the court system goes it is heavely stacked against the man.

Choose wisely?  What a bunch of garbage that thought process is.  I can't see far enough into the future to know if I am going to accidentally stub my toe on a bed post, or if a random part on my car will break; how can one possibly "choose wisely" when dealing with an entity (man or woman) that is fluid?  You can never know if the person you are choosing will at some point cheat on you, or have a tragic life changing event that causes irrevocable mental changes yet we are supposed to choose wisely.

Let me put it another way.  The people in this thread that "chose wisely" are the ones that have been married for 20+ years (and as a side note, still not immune to the problems above) to a completely different generation of people.  Modern day people are shit, just flat out.  Men and women both.  I've met and dated women that upon first meeting and courting are perfectly normal.  One ended up in a mental hospital twice for self harm and was a raging alcoholic.  Neither of those problems showed up until several months into the relationship.  Another had two kids and only cared that she had rights to one.  Yet still had time and money to smoke pot every night and get drunk on the weekends.  That one showed colors much earlier and I got out once they showed.  My point is not "pity me" rather its to say women (since I am a guy) these days are not raised to the same standard many of the older people here are accustomed to.  This generation thinks its okay to be promiscuous under the cover of spring break.  Or act like total whores so long as they can blame it on being drunk.

Men can act just as bad, but from a marriage aspect we don't have the courts on our side.  We can't win in the law's eyes.  Why would we put ourselves out there in such a way that we could get taken through the ringer with no ability to fight it?  If a man is shitty to his wife and they get divorced the woman doesn't have to worry about losing her stuff to him.  Case in point; a good friend of mine's brother courted and dated this super sweet amazing "old fashion raised" country girl for a couple years before marrying her.  After being married for a couple years and having a son together he ended up taking three jobs to make ends meet, came home one night to find her in bed with one of her high school students (she was a teacher).  He paid for THE number one divorce lawyer in this state and ended up losing custody of their son, has visitation rights every couple of weeks and is not allowed to even DATE another girl (let alone marry) until their son is 18 (which will be another 10-12 years from today).  She cheated, he lost.  He married a girl that was "raised right" yet still lost.

Choose wisely.  Yeah, keep sticking to that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've done the same thing in the past with cooking [I DON'T bake worth a damn though], however, I have always been the much better cook (hell, do Mothers even teach their daughters to cook anymore?)] then any wife or GF I have had and I suspect a few of those deliberately sabotaged meals because they didn't like to cook.  One warning sign for me now is someone telling me they "don't cook," well OK, and I'm not paying for your meal when we go out either............doesn't go over well. [and yes, I have had them over and cooked for them so it's not a one way street]
View Quote

My mother didn't teach me. She didn't like cooking, so everything came out of a jar or box, and she never took the time to teach me even the basics.

Everything I've learned has been on my own out of an effort to fix delicious food for my husband (he was raised by good southern women, and I knew that he was used to good homecooked food), but he had to suffer through the years of me learning.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

At that point I'd probably just take a rifle, a handgun, and my ammo fort, and go cobble together a cabin in a national forest somewhere and fall off the face of the planet, AFTER donating everything I had and everything she was supposed to get to charity.

The legal system is so fucked. Emotions should have nothing to do with who gets what.

And on the other end of that argument, since marriage was started as a religious institution, the government should have no say in it. There shouldn't be a divorce court, if you want a divorce that should be between you, your God, your wife, and your church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My good friend is an engineer and just divorced his school teacher (when she felt like keeping a job), ex-wife after 10 years of marriage.  No kids
He kept the debt (including the house), she walked away with a $100k+ of his money.plus half his 401k.
She went into court twice with no lawyer playing the poor, helpless, school teacher role, even after the judge had told her not to come back to court without a lawyer.

Despite her not following the judges orders, the judge just pretty much just negotiated everything for her.
She pretty much won, no debt, probably over $200k in cash, it's all a win for her.

At that point I'd probably just take a rifle, a handgun, and my ammo fort, and go cobble together a cabin in a national forest somewhere and fall off the face of the planet, AFTER donating everything I had and everything she was supposed to get to charity.

The legal system is so fucked. Emotions should have nothing to do with who gets what.

Let me color this in just a bit more.  Because he was married for over 10 years she "could" get permanent alimony. Again....about half of what he made-Courts don't seem to give a shit about the fact she is educated and can or did work.

Combine Alimony and a Social Security number and there is no escape into the Nat'l forest with a rifle, a handgun, and your ammo fort.

Now there are BIGFed.gov agencies that exist simply to force compliance with Alimony. Your credit rating, driver's licence and all professional licences  as well as hunting and fishing licences are at risk. You can be jailed for up to 5 months......without a trial for contempt in some states because you refuse to pay a whore. Just sayin.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Choose wisely?  What a bunch of garbage that thought process is.  I can't see far enough into the future to know if I am going to accidentally stub my toe on a bed post, or if a random part on my car will break; how can one possibly "choose wisely" when dealing with an entity (man or woman) that is fluid?  You can never know if the person you are choosing will at some point cheat on you, or have a tragic life changing event that causes irrevocable mental changes yet we are supposed to choose wisely.

Let me put it another way.  The people in this thread that "chose wisely" are the ones that have been married for 20+ years (and as a side note, still not immune to the problems above) to a completely different generation of people.  Modern day people are shit, just flat out.  Men and women both.  I've met and dated women that upon first meeting and courting are perfectly normal.  One ended up in a mental hospital twice for self harm and was a raging alcoholic.  Neither of those problems showed up until several months into the relationship.  Another had two kids and only cared that she had rights to one.  Yet still had time and money to smoke pot every night and get drunk on the weekends.  That one showed colors much earlier and I got out once they showed.  My point is not "pity me" rather its to say women (since I am a guy) these days are not raised to the same standard many of the older people here are accustomed to.  This generation thinks its okay to be promiscuous under the cover of spring break.  Or act like total whores so long as they can blame it on being drunk.

Men can act just as bad, but from a marriage aspect we don't have the courts on our side.  We can't win in the law's eyes.  Why would we put ourselves out there in such a way that we could get taken through the ringer with no ability to fight it?  If a man is shitty to his wife and they get divorced the woman doesn't have to worry about losing her stuff to him.  Case in point; a good friend of mine's brother courted and dated this super sweet amazing "old fashion raised" country girl for a couple years before marrying her.  After being married for a couple years and having a son together he ended up taking three jobs to make ends meet, came home one night to find her in bed with one of her high school students (she was a teacher).  He paid for THE number one divorce lawyer in this state and ended up losing custody of their son, has visitation rights every couple of weeks and is not allowed to even DATE another girl (let alone marry) until their son is 18 (which will be another 10-12 years from today).  She cheated, he lost.  He married a girl that was "raised right" yet still lost.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my anecdote. There are decent girls out there. Always have been, always will be. Most guys don't bother looking for them when they're young (too busy chasing chasing tail), and by the time they get older and more mature, a lot of the nice girls have already been snapped up. And many guys self-select against them to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Women change, the first 10 years of our relationship my wife never once told me what to do, where to go, or what to spend money on.
In that time, she has become a Dentist and now makes more than I do.
I've noticed she has gotten more assertive when it comes to telling me what to do especially with money.
It doesn't happen often but often enough. I am an expert at recognizing potential power struggles, so I nip that shit in the bud HARD when it happens.
I have that abrasive, IDGAF, not taking any shit personality so I will respond with overkill.
Some more passive, go with the flow, type of guys probably wouldn't recognize this and sooner or later they have a "ball buster" on their hands.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My mother didn't teach me. She didn't like cooking, so everything came out of a jar or box, and she never took the time to teach me even the basics.

Everything I've learned has been on my own out of an effort to fix delicious food for my husband (he was raised by good southern women, and I knew that he was used to good homecooked food), but he had to suffer through the years of me learning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've done the same thing in the past with cooking [I DON'T bake worth a damn though], however, I have always been the much better cook (hell, do Mothers even teach their daughters to cook anymore?)] then any wife or GF I have had and I suspect a few of those deliberately sabotaged meals because they didn't like to cook.  One warning sign for me now is someone telling me they "don't cook," well OK, and I'm not paying for your meal when we go out either............doesn't go over well. [and yes, I have had them over and cooked for them so it's not a one way street]

Sad, my Mom made all us kids rotate making a meal during the week. [4 of us] Yeah we griped but it stood us in good stead later in life and I can whip up a decent meal with just about anything I can dig up in the freezer or in the pantry.

Now, would you like more green bean and hamburger casserole or just some more of the mashed taters on top?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Perhaps these men know all too well that women initiate the vast majority of divorces — anywhere from 65-90 percent, depending on demographics. And when they do, they take the kids with them and hang hubby out to dry with the help of a court system that’s heavily stacked in their favor.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

See my anecdote. There are decent girls out there. Always have been, always will be. Most guys don't bother looking for them when they're young (too busy chasing chasing tail), and by the time they get older and more mature, a lot of the nice girls have already been snapped up. And many guys self-select against them to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that there are decent women (and hell men) out there but like you said as time goes along the supply dries up.  It kind of goes to my point though, with a dwindling population of "decent" people men especially will quit looking.  We have the most to lose, legally and monetarily speaking.  Why put yourself through that?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got married last night and NOW you show me this article? Nice timing Rob.

View Quote

Annulment.   Verify legal implications before doing it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laughed too as the courts can't tell you you can't date nor do they really GAF unless he/ she's injecting heroin into your veins while the dependent child is holding the TQ.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I did not read the article, and I have been married before.  It was not a bad marriage by any means and I have nothing against marriage.  But at this point in my life, it does have very little to offer me.  I think it really depends on where you are in life, and whether you're looking to raise a family.  I just don't see too many upsides to it unless the person I am marrying is bringing a lot to the table at this point in my life.  That goes for men and women.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Laughed too as the courts can't tell you you can't date nor do they really GAF unless he/ she's injecting heroin into your veins while the dependent child is holding the TQ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I am missing the funny part?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

not saying those women can't be found, but things are different now, compared to 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Me too. Never again.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been divorced for 8 years and will never get married again.
Me too. Never again.    

I have been divorced for longer than that. And I don't see myself getting married again.

It isn't for most of the reasons usually stated: it is strictly a business decision.
I am not willing to risk my assets or my freedom just to get married. It simply isn't worth it.
By the way, when I say freedom, I am talking about a disgruntled woman saying I abused her and then I am convicted of domestic violence. And in a lot of cases (most cases ?) her saying it, is all that it takes. I am not willing to lose my right to own a gun because I was so bored that I couldn't stand to be alone. Shit, now we have this whole rape thing where a year after the fact someone decides that they were raped. And it's taken seriously in court.

That article uses the phrase I have been using for years: What is in it for me ?
I would think that anybody with any sense at all asks themselves this question any time they make a decision, even if it is subconsciously. If I do this, what is the upside ? How could this be a big mistake ?
If I sit down, take a piece of paper, draw a line down the center and put the upsides in one column and the downsides in the other column, I see that one column is full and the other side has a couple entries. Then I take this information and weigh it against the cost of failure and it becomes a no-brainer.
FWIW: I am way too old to have kids, so that isn't even a consideration.

This whole thing about choosing wisely is horseshit.
If it turned out great for you, you chose wisely.
If it didn't, you didn't choose wisely.
The problem is that almost everyone that gets married thinks they are choosing wisely AT THE TIME.
There is no way to predict the future.
It is like randomly picking the same card out of a deck of cards. You pull one card, shuffle, and if you pull the same card again, you chose wisely.

I really like women. I enjoy being around women. I don't use or abuse women. A woman doesn't have to be a goddess for me to find them attractive. I would love to be in a great relationship.  But all that isn't worth the potential consequences of a bad marriage.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.  But it depends on the woman. In some cases, when you keep your masculinity she'll keep the house and half your shit.  I've seen too many "nice' girls marry into money and then turn into "bitch from hell."    
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Then there's the old, "why buy a cow when the milk is free."  A lot of women don't respect themselves.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Married last night?  You're supposed to be all up in that right now instead of on GD.  This won't end well...

And where are the pics?

Seriously, men need to act like real men, not peeking around corners in the house he's trying to pay for hoping his wife is in a good mood.  Beat the crap out of the bitch on the wedding night like Earnest Borgnine did with one of his many wives, actress Ethel Merman. She might get the house but she's going to get it anyway.  Here, at least you get to keep your self respect.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#43]
GF has mentioned "The M Word" and I'm not even divorced yet.  My reply?   "Not no, but FUCK NO!"
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Easy there, Jane.  I'm not a member of the he-man-woman-haters club.

I tend to be appreciative when somebody tries to do something for me (unless they create mass destruction... Like trying to change my oil, and using transmission fluid or something) but some people you just can't please.

It's like the old expression "he'd complain about a blow job."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And men don't do the same to their wives?  I'm inclined to think they do, since in the course of my infrequent visits to Jezebel and HeartlessBitches to see what the girls are up to, I see them throwing precisely the same kind of shitfits seen here daily.

Easy there, Jane.  I'm not a member of the he-man-woman-haters club.

I tend to be appreciative when somebody tries to do something for me (unless they create mass destruction... Like trying to change my oil, and using transmission fluid or something) but some people you just can't please.

It's like the old expression "he'd complain about a blow job."

I know you're not.  That's why I chose to reply to you rather than wasting keystrokes on one of the dozen or so habitually misogynowhining bitchmales who populate the daily LBAW threads here.

It was not my intent to impugn your objectivity on gender matters, rather to make the point that an unhealthy penchant for perfectionism in relationships is a characteristic not limited to women.  You kinda glossed over that in your earlier post.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Married last night?  You're supposed to be all up in that right now instead of on GD.  This won't end well...

And where are the pics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And where are the pics?

She can post her pic if she wants to. She's a long time member here too. I call her Showgirl.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Just gotta pick right.

Been married 3 years, together for 8 and still have an amazing time together. I get laid 4 or 5 times a week, she maintains her weight and so do I, we both out each other first.

Overall the ideal marriage. I guess it helps we are both introverts and have very few friends, much less the desire to actually do anything with anyone else.

It's ok to be jealous.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Don't walk your doggie?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't walk your doggie?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Women have lots of their own issues for sure.

Men do tend to gloss over the shortcomings of their "bros" when examining why a relationship headed down the drain.

I'm fully equal opportunity though, I hate everyone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "Choose Wisely" stichk is like a reporter asking a presidential candidate "Knowing what we know now, should we have gone to war in Iraq?".

The only way to understand that question is with hindsight.  The correct answer is always......with the best information we had at the time.....it was the right thing to do.

One more point and then I'm done for this week.  The system (Divorce industry/Alimony/Child Support/BigGov) is broken.  They know it's broken but they absolutely do not want to fix it because it generates money and gives power to Judges, Magistrates, and organizations filled with SJW types who under normal circumstances would be scrounging through dumpsters looking for food or giving blowjobs in alleys behind auto repair shops and bars.
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top