Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/24/2015 8:01:25 AM EDT
Reading through the new owners manual of arfcoms favorite truck, I found this recommendation. I always wondered about the stories of 4x4 not working the first time someone used it, 10 years later. Apparently it keeps everything lubed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I missed the memo, what truck recommends this?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Toyota
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Basically all Toyota 4WD vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]
No problem,
The wife just left it in 4wd since she was at the beach 2 weeks ago
That's enough for the rest of the year right
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Every few months is what I do, I also put it into 4 low for a block. We own a jeep, but I've done it with every 4wheel drive vehicle I've owned.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Makes sense.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know that it says it anywhere in my owner's manual, but when I'm on a straight road, I turn it on for a few miles every couple of months.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife left it locked for a bit longer than that two winters ago. Cost a new transfer case and front axle internals.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No problem,

View Quote

My wife did that last year after a big snow storm.  I asked her: "Couldn't you hear the differential was locked up especially when you went around corners?!?!"

She responded: "What?"

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I take mine (96 Suzuki Sidekick, old, real 4x4) to a dirt lot every month or two, lock the hubs, and rip down through the 4x4 gears doing figure 8's and donuts.

Then I drive a couple of blocks back on the street in 4-high, then I switch the transfer case back to 2-high and leave the hubs locked for some local driving (under 40MPH) and then unlock them up my street, drive a couple hundred feet and then park it. Done!

Manual locking hubs definitely need the lubrication, the service record for my suzuki has "freeing locking hubs" as a maintenance action pretty much every late-fall/winter when the previous owners would try to engage the 4x4 in snow And they are stuck from a year without use.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Good advice.  If you've never had to rebuild a transfer case that wasn't used, the portion of the internals, especially the gears, that was above the lubricant level is obvious.  The gear teeth can be so pitted from rust as to be unusable.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife left it locked for a bit longer than that two winters ago. Cost a new transfer case and front axle internals.
View Quote

Why is this. My 4x4 is basically engaged from October to late April nary an issue.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why is this. My 4x4 is basically engaged from October to late April nary an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Running 4x4 on solid ground for a long time no bueno on 4x4 internals.  Or are you being sarcastic? Hard to tell??

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No problem,
View Quote

Lol. Gotta love them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#17]
My Forester has been in 4wd for 114,000 miles. Works fine
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#18]
The 4WD we've had with manual hubs (older trucks/K5s) needed this to circulate the gear oil around the bearings and keep stuff from rusting.  All the newer ones spin everything all the time anyway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#19]
All 4x4 vehicles I've owned have recommended something like this.  Everything from Chevy, Ford, Rams, Toyotas, etc.

It is in the owners manual if you look.  Of course none of them were built in the last 8 years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol. Gotta love them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No problem,

Lol. Gotta love them.

Got her beat... My SO drove my mint 1968 Torino GT ONCE.  She drove the 25 miles from work to home in Low (auto with floor shifter), down the interstate, and complained the car wouldn't go over 60 mph.  New motor and transmission rebuild required...

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to run a mechanic shop many years ago, its true you should engage the transfer case every so often.

Had several elderly customers come in with their nice expensive loaded ford or chevy 4x4 that never used the 4wheel drive

and one of the things for service was to check transfer case fluid level, several times we had to remove and add new lube because

the "old" lube that was never used was thick and caking.

its a piece of machinery meant to be used....use it
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I never knew that but it makes sense, one of my SILs has a newer Wrangler that I can promise has never been in 4WD except when I drove it on the test drive. I think it has 120K miles on it now

..and she bought the Jeep after her BMW wasn't off road worthy

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#23]
ford says to do the same thing. Part of the reason is if you have the electric transfer case the shift motor can go bad if not used occasionally. I have a manual transfer case and hubs, but I still lock the hubs once a month and drive around for day to get the fluid warmed up and circulating.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Always 4wd with my land cruiser...I try to work out the lockers once a month...all 3 of em
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Who goes a week without locking the T case?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Running in 4wd on pavement is not a great idea.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#27]
My wife leaves her suburban in 4wd for a few extra days after using it also.  Never notices it driving different.    
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#28]
sometimes I have to drive 10 miles backwards to get them to release
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Who goes a week without locking the T case?
View Quote

90% of GD who have to buy a 4x4 truck but it never leaves the pavement and they get upset if it gets a scratch
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#30]
You should lock the hubs and roll it at least once a month anyway to get the gear oil shaken around a bit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the system.  My 4th Gen 4Runner had the same transfer case/ center diff system as the AWD Sequoia. Only difference was, the 4Runner had a 2H option.  Manual even stated you could change from 2H to 4H as long as you were driving less then 60MPH.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Depends on the system.  My 4th Gen 4Runner had the same transfer case/ center diff system as the AWD Sequoia. Only difference was, the 4Runner had a 2H option.  Manual even stated you could change from 2H to 4H as long as you were driving less then 60MPH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Highlanders have auto 4wd.

This sounds like a mandate to do burn-outs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't get to places where 4WD is appropriate very often these days but there is a one mile very straight stretch of road nearby that I use often.  About half the times when I get straightened out on this road I engage the 4WD and then switch it off as I approach the turn.  Hopefully this is enough to keep the gears and seals lubricated.

Not so often but occasionally I get on another straight stretch where driving very slow with a few stops and starts won't bother anyone so I can exercise the solenoid and whatever else are involved in engaging and disengaging 4 Lo a few times.  I've been up some extremely steep grades but none required 4 Lo in my Tacoma.  It is very handy though for going down extremely steep and long hills where brake failure would produce very unpleasant results.

Solenoid actuators can get dirty and sticky if they don't get used from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Running 4x4 on solid ground for a long time no bueno on 4x4 internals.  Or are you being sarcastic? Hard to tell??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True for the part-time transfer cases.  Not true for the transfer cases with an internal differential that allows the front and rear output shafts to turn at different speeds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

True for the part-time transfer cases.  Not true for the transfer cases with an internal differential that allows the front and rear output shafts to turn at different speeds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AWD & Full time 4WD
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I live on a dirt road and my truck is used like a ATV at times. 4x4 gets used.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
sometimes I have to drive 10 miles backwards to get them to release
View Quote

GM?  Early to mid/late 80's?  My 82 K5 was set up that way.  I finally pulled the automatic hubs and put manual hubs on it.  No issues after that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I run mine about 10 miles a month.
always have; it just seemed to make sense.

I bought a new Doge Ram 4x4 once; I pulled the 4x4 lever and it didn't work, so you don't want to wait until you need it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#41]
When ever I go to the shooting range I put mine in 4wd. They have dirt roads there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I do mild wheeling in both of my DDs regularly, but I also always use 4x4 on our gravel road to reduce ruts and washboarding. I wish all my neighbors would, but I doubt most of the ones driving 4x4 SUVs ever do so.

When I bought my older Explorer, all of the front U-joints were seized up and the spindle bearings (not wheel bearings) were rusted solid. Looked like it had basically never been used in 4x4, especially since it has manual locking hubs and the only way any of the front axle components ever spin are by locking them in or engaging 4x4.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Running in 4wd on dry pavement is not a great idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running in 4wd on dry pavement is not a great idea.

Fixed it for ya.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Depends on the vehicle. Most modern Part-Time 4wd vehicles have fixed hubs so the front diff, drive shaft and rotating assembly associated with the front output in the transfer case is always spinning. One of the few exceptions is Ford Superduty (and many of those owners can never figure out why they can't get those trucks unstuck when they put it in 4wd because they never got out to lock the hubs).

I really do like the auto 4x4 in my dad's 2014 Ram but I've always had a 231 in an XJ as my off highway vehicle of choice. It's rare my XJ gets on dry pavement. I like to put it in 4wd when its wet or icy. Hard to lock front wheels when the back are still spinning when 4wd is engaged.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#45]
OK...that brings up a question.

Is it safe to drive a true 4x4 (no center diff) on wet pavement in 4 HI?  I'm talking a decent rain with water standing on the road in low spots.

Does wet pavement allow enough slip to prevent binding?

I've heard conflicting reports on this.  Some say they've done it for years with no ill effects.  Some say that you'll trash your transfer case within 20 miles.

I don't do it personally, but if it doesn't cause problems, it seems like a convenient way to run your truck in 4WD for ten miles.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#46]
When it rains........I'll engage the 4x4 and call it good enough.  Not for 10 miles though.  Let's just say that it's less than that number.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a 99 tacoma and I have only used 4x4 when I need it and it always worked.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I run mine about 15 minutes every time it rains.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I have done that for years
But just to make sure it still works .

Had 4wd be nonfunctional once when I really needed in my life

Bad engagement silonoid so I make sure that shit is functional on a regular basis
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#50]
It's like pumping and releasing the e-brake too iirc on a periodic bases.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top