Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 belongs to

DSC_8037 by Zack, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Support her and encourage her. That shit looks awesome as hell. She has some talent.
View Quote

She says thank you, this comment makes her feel really good.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are a lot of people doing tight (photorealistic) pencil drawings. A lot. But that doesn't mean that your girlfriend can't make a go of it. I wouldn't ever discourage her from trying.

However I'd also advise her to keep her mind open to other ways of monetizing her talent. YouTube isn't the only way to do it. She should always be educating herself, improving her skills, and seeing where it leads her.
View Quote

I think Renata nailed it here.

I don't know why she shouldn't give it a go, she's got skills.

My thing about photorealistic art is, it's challenging, and cool to see done, but in the end, it's just a copy of a photo.  I have students show me videos of that stuff alot, so there definitely is a market.  I'm just not a huge fan of it.

That said, I enjoy the hell out of attempting it, and I suck compared to your girlfriend.

What I ask my students to do is create something that is an original composition and not just a copy of a photo or another painting.   I think in the end it's much more interesting to look at and appreciate.  

Good luck to her.  Fantastic talent there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My thing about photorealistic art is, it's challenging, and cool to see done, but in the end, it's just a copy of a photo.  I have students show me videos of that stuff alot, so there definitely is a market.  I'm just not a huge fan of it.

That said, I enjoy the hell out of attempting it, and I suck compared to your girlfriend.

What I ask my students to do is create something that is an original composition and not just a copy of a photo or another painting.   I think in the end it's much more interesting to look at and appreciate.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are a lot of people doing tight (photorealistic) pencil drawings. A lot. But that doesn't mean that your girlfriend can't make a go of it. I wouldn't ever discourage her from trying.

However I'd also advise her to keep her mind open to other ways of monetizing her talent. YouTube isn't the only way to do it. She should always be educating herself, improving her skills, and seeing where it leads her.

This is her first attempt at anything approaching a realistic image.

She is using this to build the skills and looking at an image and trying to replicate the highlights, midtones, and shadows seems to be helping her a lot.

This is ze owl after it was converted to B&W and processed a bit - she's using this as her model

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She says thank you for the comment and she appreciates it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to agree with everything here. (thumbs up icon)

I'll also add that drawing accurately (getting the shapes and proportions correct) is sometimes under-emphasized and misunderstood. A sharper eye will see the difference between "sorta okay" and "good." Your girlfriend, having just started this, is showing impressive potential in drawing. But she should always be working to improve her skills. (I'll assume that you both agree this is a given.)

A couple of other observations that may or may not apply to your gf's situation.

A lot of folks who focus on primarily photorealistic B&W (pencil, charcoal) will be eventually asked if they work in color. I see some artists who never do. I'm not sure why, but I'll guess that in part because it's a big leap and not as easy as it looks. I suspect that some of them get defensive about not doing color. Some people take to it easier than other people. But regardless, it takes more than just mere "talent" to get colors as good as this guy or this guy. (Some people can't see what the big deal is with these artists' use of color, and all I can say is, you don't roll out of bed and paint like that. )

Sorry, that became a TL;DR. To summarize, getting good at color isn't usually only a matter of "talent," it takes study too. Your gf may consider strengthening her color work as soon as possible, realizing that there are levels to it and that it's always something she'll be seeking to improve. (Which is not to say that she'll find it scary or hard, but one is never really "finished" with improving themselves with any discipline, am I right? )
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'll also add that drawing accurately (getting the shapes and proportions correct) is sometimes under-emphasized and misunderstood. A sharper eye will see the difference between "sorta okay" and "good." Your girlfriend, having just started this, is showing impressive potential in drawing. But she should always be working to improve her skills. (I'll assume that you both agree this is a given.)

A couple of other observations that may or may not apply to your gf's situation.

A lot of folks who focus on primarily photorealistic B&W (pencil, charcoal) will be eventually asked if they work in color. I see some artists who never do. I'm not sure why, but I'll guess that in part because it's a big leap and not as easy as it looks. I suspect that some of them get defensive about not doing color. Some people take to it easier than other people. But regardless, it takes more than just mere "talent" to get colors as good as this guy or this guy. (Some people can't see what the big deal is with these artists' use of color, and all I can say is, you don't roll out of bed and paint like that. )

Sorry, that became a TL;DR. To summarize, getting good at color isn't usually only a matter of "talent," it takes study too. Your gf should probably consider strengthening her color work as soon as possible, realizing that there are levels to it and that it's always something she'll be seeking to improve. (Which is not to say that she'll find it scary or hard, but one is never really "finished" with improving themselves with any discipline, am I right? )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, that became a TL;DR. To summarize, getting good at color isn't usually only a matter of "talent," it takes study too. Your gf should probably consider strengthening her color work as soon as possible, realizing that there are levels to it and that it's always something she'll be seeking to improve. (Which is not to say that she'll find it scary or hard, but one is never really "finished" with improving themselves with any discipline, am I right? )

She paints, draws, sketches, and does CAD work as well.

This is just a new interest for her.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
She paints, draws, sketches, and does CAD work as well.

This is just a new interest for her.
View Quote

Yeah, I get it. I'm just saying, she's thinking of competing with people on YouTube (or elsewhere) who are devoting their all to the discipline, so there's that...
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
do it, start it up, get some of the art spread around on tumblr and imgur, reddit, deviantart etc, mention the youtube chan out there, good way to pick up subscribers by spreading some of the art and vids around in other places where it can be seen.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is that two perspectives of the drawing, or is one the original photo and the other the drawing?

WOW, she's awesome.  There's several channels already that show speed drawings of photo-realistic images.  If she could somehow do a "Bob  Ross" style drawing class, I think that would be a hit.  Sort of a walk through, stating what paper and media she's using, then why she picks which color or hardness of charcoal, with the in-between parts sped up.   If she's doing an effect motion with her media, slow it back down and have her explain why she's doing it.

I'll repeat - Audio is very important, both men and women will watch an art show more with a clear, easy to hear narrator with constant volume compared to one with silence or stock music in the background.  Just make sure it is volume normalized with just a touch of compression so there aren't quiet parts with car-dealer-commercial loud parts intermixed.  Also zero background noise, except the sound of pencil on paper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is that two perspectives of the drawing, or is one the original photo and the other the drawing?

WOW, she's awesome.  There's several channels already that show speed drawings of photo-realistic images.  If she could somehow do a "Bob  Ross" style drawing class, I think that would be a hit.  Sort of a walk through, stating what paper and media she's using, then why she picks which color or hardness of charcoal, with the in-between parts sped up.   If she's doing an effect motion with her media, slow it back down and have her explain why she's doing it.

I'll repeat - Audio is very important, both men and women will watch an art show more with a clear, easy to hear narrator with constant volume compared to one with silence or stock music in the background.  Just make sure it is volume normalized with just a touch of compression so there aren't quiet parts with car-dealer-commercial loud parts intermixed.  Also zero background noise, except the sound of pencil on paper.

These are both pictures of the drawing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can you put that drawing next to the photo she worked form?  That's some amazing work!

Does she only do graphite/charcoal, or does she also do colored pencil or painting or other?

View Quote

She does all of that stuff.

She's using her phone to look at the original photo as a reference, but I'd be glad to put them both in the same post for ya if that'll help.

Original picture, processed and converted to B&W:

Most recent update I have of the drawing:

Best I can figure there's still another day or two of detail work before it's finished.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
At first I was like "ehh". Now after seeing what she is capable of I say she definitely should! That's no average art class talent. That's already looking amazing!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking good!  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I vote YES.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#23]
She asked me to say thank you for all the comments, positive and not so positive.

Her next art project will either be some form of painting, or another one of these realistic type drawings.

Any input on what she should do?

ARFCOM decides!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#24]
She has a gift...use it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Dayum, skills.  She has them. Even unfinished it looks great.

This is way out of my normal interests, so I have no real advice.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#26]
That owl drawing is pretty awesome. Clearly she has a talent she can exploit. If youtube is the way to do that, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Honestly couldn't tell you. Is she going to teach people how to draw? I don't know if that's something someone would watch on you tube.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Not bad but has a very long way to go for photo realism.

If it's something she is interested in truly pursuing she needs to really dedicate to technique and details. Not an easy task at all.

Getting on Concept.org and setting up a 'sketchbook' and seeking critiques would be very helpful.

Real critiques can seem kind of harsh but it's the only way to learn.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Honestly couldn't tell you. Is she going to teach people how to draw? I don't know if that's something someone would watch on you tube.
View Quote

It is a popular section of youtube.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If it's something she is interested in truly pursuing she needs to really dedicate to technique and details. Not an easy task at all.

Getting on Concept.org and setting up a 'sketchbook' and seeking critiques would be very helpful.

View Quote

That's why she's doing this.

She's trying to build up the skill to photo realistic.

I call it a damn fine first attempt though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

She's good and has a lot of potential. I wouldn't for the world discourage her in any way. I think the CA people are very encouraging and kind, but they don't sugarcoat and if they think you need to study this or buy that book, they'll suggest it, in a very kind, encouraging way. It's assumed that if you start a sketchbook there, you understand and accept this.

(It's not just for people interested in Concept art. The Sketchbook area is for anyone interested in drawing and painting realistically. )

CA sketchbooks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's great for a first attempt (but it's still novice). AR15 isn't really the right place. Their are some very experience artist here. I dabble a bit myself. devaintArt and ConceptArt are better places, myartcorner is another newer one.

She has a talent but only years of work will produce what's she's after

Personally I think a youtube channel is premature.

Not saying any of this to be an ass, only honest as someone that's spent some time with a pencil.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No it's great for a first attempt (but it's still novice). AR15 isn't really the right place. Their are some very experience artist here. I dabble a bit myself. devaintArt and ConceptArt are better places, myartcorner is another newer one.

Not saying any of this to be an ass, only honest as someone that's spent some time with a pencil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sharing it here because this is where I hang out.

She's gearing up to do another drawing now. Not sure what it will be yet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Talented little lady
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
She asked me to say thank you for all the comments, positive and not so positive.

Her next art project will either be some form of painting, or another one of these realistic type drawings.

ARFCOM decides!
View Quote

I'll through in my .02 cents.....

My 3 shelties.

Or

Casey

She should see the owl thread over in the pet forum. Good work.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My 3 shelties.
<a href="http://s171.photobucket.com/user/dmsmith12345/media/image_zps4do2ft71.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dmsmith12345/image_zps4do2ft71.jpg</a>

Or

Casey
<a href="http://s171.photobucket.com/user/dmsmith12345/media/DSC00238.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dmsmith12345/DSC00238.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARFCOM decides!

My 3 shelties.
<a href="http://s171.photobucket.com/user/dmsmith12345/media/image_zps4do2ft71.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dmsmith12345/image_zps4do2ft71.jpg</a>

Or

Casey
<a href="http://s171.photobucket.com/user/dmsmith12345/media/DSC00238.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dmsmith12345/DSC00238.jpg</a>

She isn't opposed to drawing your dogs for you, but she would need far better pictures than these.

See what you can come up with, and if it's not her next drawing, I'll at least see that it's on her list
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

She isn't opposed to drawing your dogs for you, but she would need far better pictures than these.

See what you can come up with, and if it's not her next drawing, I'll at least see that it's on her list
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARFCOM decides!

My 3 shelties.

Or

Casey

Sorry, I'm not a photographer..... it just isn't meant to be.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Why not. If she loves drawing and making videos she should. Good luck op.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Looks pretty awesome.  The only thing that would make it "pop" more is a  "Jelly Pen" (a fine tipped white gel pen that works over charcoal or colored pencil) for pulling out some strong highlights in the eyes and along the beak, like in the photo.  

After that, going for more realistic would involve going into more detail, drawing each bit of the tiny feathers, and a wider dynamic range, from pure black to pure white (brighter than most paper bright white).

The way it goes, I'd pay for that drawing if it were framed, not sure how much, but it's good enough to hang on a wall, IMO.

--ETA:  For next project, maybe an old sweep hand/wind up style stopwatch laying on a white piece of paper.  The kind of stopwatch used for the intro of "60 Minutes", but from a 45° oblique angle.  I have one sitting here, which makes it easy for me to visualize what I'm thinking of.   But my idea is just any static item image.  Everyday things that look interesting on their own.   No still-life, animals, or plants or food.

The water glass drawing is an excellent example of an every day item.
View Quote

I don't know jack about art, art prices, selling art, or anything aside from looking at it.

You say it's good enough to buy/sell/etc

What's somethin like that usually go for?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#43]
She should do a close up of an eye.

Does she have Instagram? There are some great accounts I could recommend to her.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Does she have Instagram? There are some great accounts I could recommend to her.
View Quote

She does not currently have an instagram account. I will recommend that she get one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:37:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

She does not currently have an instagram account. I will recommend that she get one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a wonderful community, especially the artist circles.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:32:55 AM EDT
[#46]
She has decided to keep working with animals for now. Here's her next project. As before, updates will be posted as I receive them.

Original image:

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top