Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#1]
It was a Saturday so it was time and a half.  We were in the footings of the Silver Legacy in Reno.  Another Journeyman and myself sent an apprentice after a box of level bubbles 45 minutes later he comes back with the boss and the boss is like what the fuck are you doing. Knock that shit off.  Since we were IronWorkers we sent him after a box of endos. He came back with the boss again the boss said it's time and a half and your sending this kid after stupid shit do it again and I will fire you.
I think we sent him after a skyhook next.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...so I should have waited for my new hire probationary period to be over?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get ready for your meeting with HR.

Yeah, you probably should have.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
My favorite was sending them in search of squelch grease...made the aircraft radios operate more efficiently...

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Saw a few new Amn doing echo checks on a/c engines on the flightline.  Yell in the front, run to the back and listen.

Its great when you can get MOC to record it with the flightline cameras to show everyone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...to central supply looking for Fallopian tubes.

Dammit.  She went.
View Quote

This must be my blond step daughter at her new job

I once had her convinced that the green things up in the pine tree were pineapples
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
if  a woman is dumb enough to go looking, she deserves to be.

or, OP got played.....
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
When i was a parts monkey at work, I didn't fall for blinker fluid or spark plugs for the big trucks, but I got in trouble for not picking up glow plugs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if  a woman is dumb enough to go looking, she deserves to be.

or, OP got played.....
View Quote

Hopefully she didnt run to HR.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It was a Saturday so it was time and a half.  We were in the footings of the Silver Legacy in Reno.  Another Journeyman and myself sent an apprentice after a box of level bubbles 45 minutes later he comes back with the boss and the boss is like what the fuck are you doing. Knock that shit off.  Since we were IronWorkers we sent him after a box of endos. He came back with the boss again the boss said it's time and a half and your sending this kid after stupid shit do it again and I will fire you.
I think we sent him after a skyhook next.
View Quote

I'd say that makes you guys assholes. You dont care that you are wasting someone else's money, even after being told to stop.  Twice.  How very liberal of you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#11]
While policing up brass at the range send someone to find the brass magnet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#12]

I'd say that makes you guys assholes. You dont care that you are wasting someone else's money, even after being told to stop.  Twice.  How very liberal of you.
View Quote

Hi Frances!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

HA!

Friend of mine has you beat. He sent a fellow journeyman electrician to get...
A bucket of amps

Jokes on your buddy if he came back with this

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/Buckets/2860p.jpg

+ this

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/wp-content/caffeine/amp-energy-drink.jpg
I would have

At the end of the day, after hanging out at the park and taking in a matinee. "Oh, sorry I asked every slack-jawed giggling buffoon at the parts counters all over town,  where they keep the amps"

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I love it when guys go looking for Prop wash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As a ex aircraft mechanic we always sent newbies to get 25' of flight line or 5 gals of prop wash.

I love it when guys go looking for Prop wash.
When we were first married, my wife worked in an office at the small FBO where I was based.

Came home from my route one morning and had her call over to the maintenance guys to see if they could get some Flight Line and Prop Wash for the plane.

She called.

Many laughs were had.  

She was a good sport and laughed at herself.  (And yes, still married...almost 11 yrs now.)  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your job...

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Best ever is getting a guy to try to unscrew the cupola on a HUMVEE

"Turn it 50 times clockwise"

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I sent a butter bar to the motor sergeant with a carefully collected exhaust sample.

45 minutes later, I got my ass chewed twice.

Totally worth it to keep the LT out of the motor pool for the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine was crew chief in usmc on hmx1.  Sent the new guy out to the hangar for some rotor wash.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In high school I worked at a pizza place and we'd always get new guys to mop the walk in freezer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The journeyman knew what was up. He gets journeyman hourly wages. He'll "look" all day long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HA!

A bucket of amps

The journeyman knew what was up. He gets journeyman hourly wages. He'll "look" all day long.

No he didn't.
They had him carrying a coffee can with a piece of white tape written "bucket of amps" by hand on it. The can contained water and balls of duct seal. They told him he had to wear safety glasses and safety gloves to handle the bucket of amps. They told him he had to be  careful carrying it because if the amps touched, it was all over, so they wouldn't be going back back to the work site the way they came, they'd be walking on the concrete slab, inside so he didn't trip...in front of everyone. Get the picture?

But that's not all! Once they came back to the work site, they told him they were going to fill up the phases of a transformer to balance it. They had rigged an empty bottle of water inside the transfo case, hooked to a tube leading outside the case. So they told him to pour the amps in the tube to fill up the phase. And he did. He asked them if it was enough and they told him to keep going, that it would beep when it was full. One of the guy was standing aside with a clamp meter set on continuity in his back and touched the probes so it beeped.

So the next morning they have the safety meeting with all 200 electricians. This is on a big mining project. So the guy goes over the order of the day " This. That. The other. Buckets of amps". All the guys in the shack look at each other like what the hell but say nothing. So they're about to finish the meeting and the foreman says " Ok, buckets of amps. Who here handles the buckets of amps?" So the guy immediately raises his hand. The foreman says"Ok, well, I just wanted to say... Welcome at Company X!"
And all 200 electricians bust out laughing. The guy wanted to disappear.

So no, he didn't know what's up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#21]
1992, on our old Adams-class Destroyer, steaming into San Francisco, under the Golden Gate.  Fireman Burns is holding a burn bag, which is about 3'x8', up on the forecastle, in the wind, fully inflated.

Captain:  OOD, what is fireman Burns doing?
OOD:  Sir, he is collecting a clean air sample for emissions testing.  After this, he's going to collect a dirty air sample from the fantail.
Captain:  Carry on.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We hide ours right next to the wire stretcher and underneath the left handed romex stripper
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HA!

A bucket of amps

We hide ours right next to the wire stretcher and underneath the left handed romex stripper

We keep it next to the fluorescent tube bender.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I thought you sent dick pics. You shoulda sent dick pics.
View Quote

This. Dick pics
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sent a PFC to get me some grid squares....smart ass cut up a map by the grid squares and brought them to me in a box. Gave him libo for the rest of the day.
View Quote

Sounds like he one upped you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Private, I need you to go to supply and get me 30 dB of dial tone...
View Quote

We used squelch grease for the great goose chase.

Edit: Beat
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I was a rookie fireman, my crusty old Captain tried to get me to 'check the spark plugs' on the engine one shift.I told him that while he started before I was born, that I did know the engine didn't have any spark plugs (diesel).
View Quote

I had that one tried on me, I told him I'd fill it up with gas while I was at it...
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
HA!

A bucket of amps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
HA!

A bucket of amps

Quoted:
As a ex aircraft mechanic we always sent newbies to get 25' of flight line or 5 gals of prop wash.

LOL, these two are hilarious!!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#28]
The pressroom guys like to send newbies to get the paper stretcher
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#29]
We told a first day rookie that the best way to make friends with his Mr.Olympia sized FTO  was to ask him how his sister did in the marathon she ran . His sister is an amputee. It went swimmingly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#30]
We would have them get fin stretchers for the larger bombs or chaff stretchers to change the frequency.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#31]
So what did she bring back OP?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I sent an idiot apprentice electrician to the van to get the wire stretcher once. Took him like 10 minutes to return. I was on the floor laughing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#33]
We sent an apprentice to get a nail stretcher . He was gone for about 30-40 minutes . He came back with a 3' 2x4 a spring wired to it . His reply and I quote " Heres your nail stretcher Asshole its up to you to figure out how it works Asshole enjoy"
Pretty smart cubby
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Newbies here routinely get sent to the tool crib for an aluminium magnet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I worked support in my AMU, I once gave someone 5-gallons of GP cleaner when they asked for some prop wash.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bucket of steam?
View Quote

Dick around for a little and come back with a 5gal bucket of water.  Tell 'em you got delayed by helping another crew.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Those are books from the bible... 4th Fallopian
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember as a little kid seeing my Mom get all mad because she caught some guys sending a poor old laborer to get a can of striped paint.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Corner nails
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I remember as a little kid seeing my Mom get all mad because she caught some guys sending a poor old laborer to get a can of striped paint.
View Quote
There's an old, possibly apocryphal, story about Leonardo da Vinci getting sent after some striped paint by his master.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#41]
My favorite mythical thing to send n00bz looking for is Relative Bearing Grease.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#42]
We sent a kid to get his steel-toed boots X-Rayed by NDI to make sure they were serviceable.  They took his boots for a bit, handed them back with radiation hazard stickers on them, and told him he had cracks, and to go to the sheet metal shop to get new toe-caps fabricated.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Saw a few new Amn doing echo checks on a/c engines on the flightline.  Yell in the front, run to the back and listen.

Its great when you can get MOC to record it with the flightline cameras to show everyone.
View Quote

We used to have the noobs stomp all over the red lines to test the seismic sensors, while the desk sergeant would zoom in on camera and tell him over the radio to stomp harder or jump up and down. HMMWV/jet keys, blinker fluid, flight line, Fallopian tube, chem light batteries, grid squares, etc were fun scavenger hunts for the gullible.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#44]
We get new customer service people to get prices for a water pump for the old vw bugs.  They call every parts house, lol.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Sent a parts runner out for muffler bearings once.
The parts stores sent her from place to place.
Took four stores before a counter man that had the hots for her before she was told what was up.
She was the bosses daughter, would a thought she knew.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

And a sensitivity training session.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I like telling people to check the air pressure on forklift tires.

...most forklifts I train guys to run have solid rubber tires.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I was told to ask a coworker, Jose, for a wet vac (Shop vac). Much hilarity ensued.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 5k has pneumatic tires.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top