Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Gross. I will keep my Tacoma, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd buy a Hilux.  Fucking things will run after taking a beating.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
And yet not a single one will be allowed to be sold in the U.S.

HK of the car world the hilux is.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy shit. Toyota just knocked the Colorado from the top of the world's ugliest 'truck' podium.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

If you mean too badass for the average Murican than yes
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The grill makes me think of some of the recent model volkswagens.

I'm sure it's still a hell of a little truck though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
This looks like a slightly melted version of the VW "pickup" my dad had in the 70's.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
160hp..  Awesome.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gross. I will keep my Tacoma, thank you.
View Quote

Really? I'd trade my tacoma in a heartbeat for a DCLB
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]
They look like shit. 70 series truck please!

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd buy a Hilux.  Fucking things will run after taking a beating.
View Quote

The dive resort we go to in Bonaire uses them for guests to take around while they stay there. They are as close to bullet proof as a vehicle can be.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
It is so fucked up, they put the steering wheel on the wrong side...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
You can get one here

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm really beginning to hate the phrase design language.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can get one here

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get one here

25 year import ban!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
A truck with the frame and engine of the Hilux with the styling and interior of the Tacoma would be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm really beginning to hate the phrase design language.
View Quote

Would you rather they go back to "ethos"?  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I would take a Hilux diesel in a heartbeat.  I told a Toyota salesman that, he said we will never see a Hilux in the US.  Nobody would buy Tacomas.

I miss the small Japanese pickups from back in the '70s and '80s.  We had a ton of the old Datsuns and some Toyotas in the family, great little trucks.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#18]
What is the infatuation?       Is it because it's unobtainium?

I'll give ya $19,000 for it.  Sight unseen.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Its horrible.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Meth. Not even once.

Hipster scum!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Holy shit. Toyota just knocked the Colorado from the top of the world's ugliest 'truck' podium.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some are pretty ugly, some are pretty nice.

I dig it in that config, and two different diesel options.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Definite improvement over the last body style. I still think the Taco looks better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would take a Hilux diesel in a heartbeat.  I told a Toyota salesman that, he said we will never see a Hilux in the US.  Nobody would buy Tacomas.

I miss the small Japanese pickups from back in the '70s and '80s.  We had a ton of the old Datsuns and some Toyotas in the family, great little trucks.

View Quote

Up until the introduction of the US-only Tacoma in 1995, the Hilux and US market pickups were the same trucks.  Then they brought us the soft ass US market only Taco and Tundra. As well as they sell they must have made the right call.  They should still sell the Hilux here, but only in non-luxury versions. Let the soccer moms drive Tacos, let the guys who take their trucks offroad use diesel hiluxes.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
160hp..  Awesome.
View Quote

a 2.4L turbodiesel with 160hp and 295lb/ft of torque

You're looking at the wrong number.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Up until the introduction of the US-only Tacoma in 1995, the Hilux and US market pickups were the same trucks.  Then they brought us the soft ass US market only Taco and Tundra. As well as they sell they must have made the right call.  They should still sell the Hilux here, but only in non-luxury versions. Let the soccer moms drive Tacos, let the guys who take their trucks offroad use diesel hiluxes.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just off road.  One of these no frills at a rock bottom price and 45 mpg diesel.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not just off road.  One of these no frills at a rock bottom price and 45 mpg diesel.  

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--7tDtFNdK--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1261939766409329256.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--7tDtFNdK--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1261939766409329256.jpg

That thing is uglier than a bag of smashed assholes.  I drive a current gen hilux everyday and it's not nearly as ugly.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Needs more PKM mounted on a roll bar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I will keep my Tacoma offroad 4x4 thank you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and yet my Taco goes offroad where I see plenty of dodge/chevy/whatever brodozers with 6"+ lifts and not a speck of dirt on them. Or scratch.

Not sure why you think diesel is necessary for offroading. Give me gas, every time. I'm not hauling trailers full of cattle, here.

I bet if you bagged up horseshit and made it illegal to sell in the US, people would be clamoring for the opportunity to buy that bag of horseshit. Exclusivity sells!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

...and yet my Taco goes offroad where I see plenty of dodge/chevy/whatever brodozers with 6"+ lifts and not a speck of dirt on them. Or scratch.

Not sure why you think diesel is necessary for offroading. Give me gas, every time. I'm not hauling trailers full of cattle, here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your taco has a pussy little C channel frame made by Dana.  The hilux has a fully boxed and welded frame made by Toyota, the same frame used in 1.5ton delivery trucks.  Diesel engines aren't only for towing.    If you do water crossings there are far fewer things to go wrong with a diesel, though with modern ones that are all computer controlled its still a problem.  I'd love to see how long some US market soft Tacos would last in the Australian outback compared to the Hiluxes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]
It looks angry . . . or constipated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your taco has a pussy little C channel frame made by Dana.  The hilux has a fully boxed and welded frame made by Toyota, the same frame used in 1.5ton delivery trucks.  Diesel engines aren't only for towing.    If you do water crossings there are far fewer things to go wrong with a diesel, though with modern ones that are all computer controlled its still a problem.  I'd love to see how long some US market soft Tacos would last in the Australian outback compared to the Hiluxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What 1.5 ton delivery truck used the same frame as a hilux? Or are you just blindly thinking that a boxed frame is so much better than a c channel? Come break the c channel frame under the 2012 Peterbilt in my driveway, or how about the thousands of jeeps with c channel frames? Are they all just flimsy prices of nothing? Or are you yet another arfcom Toyota fanboy? Sure some years the tacomas frames were crap and rusted out/just broke. But it wasn't because there were "pussy little c channel". You still didn't specify why a deisel engine is so important for off roading. The last "mechanical" deisel sold in the U.S. in pickups would be the 12 valve cummins and 7.3 idi (can't think of any other). You'd still have to waterproof the air intake (including the turbo), the alternator, and the battery. You can mess up fans by running them underwater also, so you'd need to fix that. But even then by the time you are in enough water for that to matter the cab will be a rolling above ground pool.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry that front end is fucked, it looks like they grafted a VW Passat grill and hood onto a pickup.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I am very much a function before form kind of guy, but that thing is fucking hideous
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I've driven one of the diesel Hiluxes before. Damn solid little truck.  Beats the hell out of comparable domestic trucks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I liked the old one...

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What 1.5 ton delivery truck used the same frame as a hilux? Or are you just blindly thinking that a boxed frame is so much better than a c channel? Come break the c channel frame under the 2012 Peterbilt in my driveway, or how about the thousands of jeeps with c channel frames? Are they all just flimsy prices of nothing? Or are you yet another arfcom Toyota fanboy? Sure some years the tacomas frames were crap and rusted out/just broke. But it wasn't because there were "pussy little c channel". You still didn't specify why a deisel engine is so important for off roading. The last "mechanical" deisel sold in the U.S. in pickups would be the 12 valve cummins and 7.3 idi (can't think of any other). You'd still have to waterproof the air intake (including the turbo), the alternator, and the battery. You can mess up fans by running them underwater also, so you'd need to fix that. But even then by the time you are in enough water for that to matter the cab will be a rolling above ground pool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not one sold in the US, but one used everywhere else in the world, same chassis as the hilux but with a dually full floating rear axle.  C channel frames are flimsy shit compared to full boxed frames, yes.  Ford realized that a few years ago and started making decent frames for their own trucks, about the same time the Taco went to a shitty c channel.  

I won't waste my time trying to convince you that diesels are better for water crossing, since you've obviously never wheeled.  Go to youtube and search landcruiser water crossing and educate yourself.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm sure they are nice trucks. I just don't want to do anything that could associate me with the type of people who drive them.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#40]
What truck is it? Don't just cop out with that. Do you mean it uses a boxed frames of similar wall thickness and construction? Maybe manufactured the in the facility? I know full well the "advantages" deisels have for water crossing. No spark plugs to let in water and ,at least with mechanical deisels, you don't need a alternator or battery to run the engine because of a mechanical fuel pump. So just start it and as long as the intakes our out of the water, fluid does not back up the exhaust, and the fans clutches don't destroy them selves due to having to run under water you could theoretically fully sumerge the engine. Don't have to be a "wheeling" expert to know that. But since the aforementioned hilux does not have a snorkel, is electronically injected, doesn't have the necessary fan setup to run underwater, what difference does it make? It's still not gonna work. Atleast for any extended period of time. Like a gas engine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm sure they are nice trucks. I just don't want to do anything that could associate me with the type of people who drive them.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-71PUSOiDvbc/U-R_eXqsujI/AAAAAAAAJew/gO1r7KG5RsQ/s1600/ISIS_CIA_Convoy.jpg
View Quote

LOL Classic GD taco hate!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Too swooshy. Not Hilux looking.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Appalling.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I like the blue. I can't buy one but fucking ISIS can.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What truck is it? Don't just cop out with that. Do you mean it uses a boxed frames of similar wall thickness and construction? Maybe manufactured the in the facility? I know full well the "advantages" deisels have for water crossing. No spark plugs to let in water and ,at least with mechanical deisels, you don't need a alternator or battery to run the engine because of a mechanical fuel pump. So just start it and as long as the intakes our out of the water, fluid does not back up the exhaust, and the fans clutches don't destroy them selves due to having to run under water you could theoretically fully sumerge the engine. Don't have to be a "wheeling" expert to know that. But since the aforementioned hilux does not have a snorkel, is electronically injected, doesn't have the necessary fan setup to run underwater, what difference does it make? It's still not gonna work. Atleast for any extended period of time. Like a gas engine.
View Quote

It's the Dyna 150.  The frame is identical, as are the powertrain options.  The hilux frame and powertrain is also shared with the Hiace van.  

I have actually been wheeling in a few countries, including a shitload of river crossings, mostly in Iceland.  I did them in my petrol powered Toyota truck, in rivers up to the middle of my doors.  It's not really a big deal if you know what you are doing.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

You really love them, don't you?

I suppose Dana should stick to axles

Thank goodness I'm not crossing rivers a lot. Well I am, but they're all dry washes

I'm gonna nickname mine "Hard Taco" now
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top