Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 11:39:43 PM EDT
Should Remington warranty this Action Bar Sleeve for the 1187?

EDIT: I initially assumed rust caused perforation, what exactly are we seeing here? Stress cracks?

The new one is on the right.

The gun is less than six months old with a few thousand rounds through it. The gun is cleaned and oiled regularly and so far has not had any other problems.

I have not yet contacted Remington about this issue.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see any rust.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they machined that part too much.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Your pics do not seem to be showing the rust well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see any rust.
View Quote

I assume the perforation you see was caused by Rust, I also thought about stress cracks.....but not sure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
What rust?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

By "Rust" I mean that it has caused the perforation you see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see any rust.

Has it had an effect on the operation of the gun?
I can see them not doing anything about it as it's not like the rust is a factory defect.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
if that is crack then yes.  If its rust then just clean it up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think they machined that part too much with a Dremel.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can see them not doing anything about it as it's not like the rust is a factory defect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see any rust.

The gun functions flawlessly and I love it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its clearly defective, but it looks like you already have a new part in your possession, not sure what you would want them to do in this situation.
View Quote

I bought a new one, I would ask for another one or reimbursement of some type....hell, I might settle for a coupon!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I just picked one up this week and haven't had the chance to take it out. Have you had any trouble with the gun other than that?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#13]
bad casting
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just picked one up this week and haven't had the chance to take it out. Have you had any trouble with the gun other than that?
View Quote

The gun functions flawlessly and I love it....no other issues.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they machined that part too much with a Dremel.

I rost.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know how that part is manufactured (MIM, forged, machined from bar stock or tube) but the crack in the flat area is clearly a defect (and probably not caused by rust).

Remington should pay for a replacement but it would have been better to ask them to send a replacement rather than buying one (which is what I assume you did).    They might balk at reimbursing you for a part you bought since they'd probably rather just send you the part.

Maybe call them and see what they say?  I'll guess that they'll offer to send a new part and that you'll have to get a refund from whoever you bought the replacement from.

ETA: the replacement part has milling marks so it's probably machined from a solid or tube.  The original part doesn't (in the pics) so I'm guessing MIM and that the crack is a MIM manufacturing defect.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
bad casting
View Quote

That isn't a casting.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't know how that part is manufactured (MIM, forged, machined from bar stock or tube) but the crack in the flat area is clearly a defect (and probably not caused by rust).

Remington should pay for a replacement but it would have been better to ask them to send a replacement rather than buying one (which is what I assume you did).    They might balk at reimbursing you for a part you bought since they'd probably rather just send you the part.

Maybe call them and see what they say?  I'll guess that they'll offer to send a new part and that you'll have to get a refund from whoever you bought the replacement from.

ETA: the replacement part has milling marks so it's probably machined from a solid or tube.  The original part doesn't (in the pics) so I'm guessing MIM and that the crack is a MIM manufacturing defect.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Tolerance stack.  The material got thin.  If it bothers you, give them a call, and I bet they'd take care of you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is another photo, what are we looking at here? A stress crack?

Reason?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/Remington_1187_Action_bar_sleeve-rusted-3_zpsuabf3olv.jpg

Reason?
View Quote

What color is the edge of the cracks?  Black or silver?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/Remington_1187_Action_bar_sleeve-rusted-3_zpsuabf3olv.jpg

Reason?
View Quote

That flat was machined down too far and into the hole for the magazine tube. It should have never made it out of the machine shop.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the input.

I bought the part myself because I discovered it was on back-order (took 2 months to receive) and I wanted a functioning gun during the back-order period for a upcoming competition.

I figured that Remington would have asked for the entire gun or just the broken action sleeve rendering the gun useless....if I had contacted them first. The gun functions fine even with the cracked action bar sleeve.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reason?

Silver.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:43:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Silver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reason?

Silver.

So evidently it didn't occur during manufacturing, but rather it broke during use or assembly.  Regardless, I really doubt it would hurt anything.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Beats an obviously non-concentric choke bore.  Fuck Remington.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:29:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
bad casting
View Quote

That's what I think.  Is it a safety or strength issue?  If not and things work, why bother.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to work with several guys who moved on before the havoc they wrought was fully apparent and are now in the procurement and supply chain of Remington.

They were all about cost cutting, outsourcing to the lowest bidder and collectively knew absolutely nothing about APQP or supplier qualification so seeing something like that just gives me a chuckle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I used to work with several guys who moved on before the havoc they wrought was fully apparent and are now in the procurement and supply chain of Remington.

They were all about cost cutting, outsourcing to the lowest bidder and collectively knew absolutely nothing about APQP or supplier qualification so seeing something like that just gives me a chuckle.
View Quote

Nice to hear they have lost all integrity....
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Remington lost my respect with the whole .17HMR 597 recall. They sold an unsafe gun and recalled it, but would not refund. Instead they sent a coupon(in many cases much less than original cost) for money off the cost of a future Remington purchase.

Later they started converting the guns to .22 magnum instead of the coupon-but still no refund for a gun that was recalled for blowing up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top