Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2015 11:03:13 PM EDT
Driving from Colorado to Mt Rushmore next week. Ive never been to South Dakota or anywhere north of Cheyenne.

I guess Im looking for any advice from those who have been. Best places to stay overnight, good restaurants, anything cool to see on the trip to there, any gouge while there, etc...

Many thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.  Plan to do the same this year but on my motorcycle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Just did this last month.  Drove from Seattle back to my home in illinois I loved montana and Utah. You should go check out the Little Bighorn.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore. Badlands National Park, Custer State Park, Elglin? Air Force Base,  Deadwood, lots of others I can't think of at the moment.  Cool Place
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
We checked out Mt Rushmore on a trip through there.  Call me a commie or whatever, but frankly, I was not impressed.  The Badlands and Devil's Tower were awesome though.  Devil's Tower alone was worth the trip through there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We checked out Mt Rushmore on a trip through there.  Call me a commie or whatever, but frankly, I was not impressed.  The Badlands and Devil's Tower were awesome though.  Devil's Tower alone was worth the trip through there.
View Quote

Mt. Rushmore was more impressive than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
IM me if you have specific questions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore. Badlands National Park, Custer State Park, Elglin? Air Force Base,  Deadwood, lots of others I can't think of at the moment.  Cool Place
View Quote
All good places.

One place that I will recommend is Hill City.  Funky lil tourist town that provides a nice walk down the main street with cool lil stores.  LOTS of breweries and wineries.  My wife LOVE Prairie Berrie Winery.  Even as a non wine drinker, I like it.  If you or your SO like wine, stop there and check out the others too.  

Here's the other thing...a place to eat...THE ALPINE.  One thing on the menu for dinner - bacon wrapped filet minion with potato, toast, and wedge of lettuce with home made ranch. Like $12.00.  Absolutely amazing.  Tremendous home made dessert menu too.  Very popular, wait is usually about an hour sometimes two depending when you get there.  I highly recommend going.  A fuckin +

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All good places.  

One place that I will recommend is Hill City.  Funky lil tourist town that provides a nice walk down the main street with cool lil stores.  LOTS of breweries and wineries.  My wife LOVE Prairie Berrie Winery.  Even as a non wine drinker, I like it.  If you or your SO like wine, stop there and check out the others too.  

Here's the other thing...a place to eat...THE ALPINE.  One thing on the menu for dinner - bacon wrapped filet minion with potato, toast, and wedge of lettuce with home made ranch.  Absolutely amazing.  Tremendous home made dessert menu too.  Very popular, wait is usually about an hour sometimes two depending when you get there.  I highly recommend going.  A fuckin +
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All good places.  

Here's the other thing...a place to eat...THE ALPINE.  One thing on the menu for dinner - bacon wrapped filet minion with potato, toast, and wedge of lettuce with home made ranch.  Absolutely amazing.  Tremendous home made dessert menu too.  Very popular, wait is usually about an hour sometimes two depending when you get there.  I highly recommend going.  A fuckin +

On the list now, thanks.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#10]
A must see for us was the Reptile Gardens.  Place is unbelievable and if you have kids, they are going to love it.  

http://www.reptilegardens.com/

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
See the Missle silo at the air base, Mamoth dig site (a bit south), I ate at Firehouse Brewing Co in Rapids City and had Fish & Chips with some House Ale.  Custer Park was worth a visit too (stop in at one of the ranger stations for tips on finding the herd).  Also check out the Wind Cave too if you are into that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
See the Missle silo at the air base, Mamoth dig site (a bit south), I ate at Firehouse Brewing Co in Rapids City and had Fish & Chips with some House Ale.  Custer Park was worth a visit too (stop in at one of the ranger stations for tips on finding the herd).  Also check out the Wind Cave too if you are into that.
View Quote

Is this actually on the base? I ask because Ill be carrying a G26 (Im Navy so I understand the firearms on base thing). Id love to see an old silo and so would my son.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Reptile gardens
Bear country
Iron mountain road
Needles highway
Custer park
Deadwood
Devils tower
Bad Lands

Lots to see and do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All good places.  

Here's the other thing...a place to eat...THE ALPINE.  One thing on the menu for dinner - bacon wrapped filet minion with potato, toast, and wedge of lettuce with home made ranch. Like $12.00.  Absolutely amazing.  Tremendous home made dessert menu too.  Very popular, wait is usually about an hour sometimes two depending when you get there.  I highly recommend going.  A fuckin +

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All good places.  

Prairie Berry has their own brewery called Black Hills Miner. It's amazing. Also, the Alpine has great German food for lunch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I drove out there from IL a few years ago for vacation (did a lot of trips to Sioux Falls for work, finally decided to see the cool stuff).
Do Rushmore first, then go see Crazy Horse.  Do not reverse the order, or you will be disappointed.  

A definite +1 on Devils Tower.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

We hit most of your list last summer.
Guess I'm  more of a naturalist, but I liked Devils tower and Badlands more than Rushmore.  I loved Devils tower even though it is just a big rock.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Rapid city had a fun go kart drift track when I was there in 2006ish
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm
Quoted:

Is this actually on the base? I ask because Ill be carrying a G26 (Im Navy so I understand the firearms on base thing). Id love to see an old silo and so would my son.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Hit up downtown Rapid City. I absolutely love it there.

There are some good restaurants and a couple nice bars.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The missile silo is east of Rapid City and Ellsworth AFB.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Firehouse Brew pub is really good.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of beers, some seasonal, but brewed on premises.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go Sturgis!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Drove  out west with my Dad in 2002, NJ to Raton, NM and back. The stretch from Steamboat Springs - Cody - Devils Tower - Mt Rushmore was the absolute best road trip I have ever experienced in my life.
I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do it!  Then add more distance each time.  Motorcycle travel is best travel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SD Air & Space Musem is at Ellsworth AFB and includes the Training site Minuteman missile silo walk through at the base.  Not sure on the Conceal Carry there though.  http://www.sdairandspacemuseum.com
The launch sites are National Park Service tours.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The SD Air & Space Musem is at Ellsworth AFB and includes the Training site Minuteman missile silo walk through at the base.  Not sure on the Conceal Carry there though.  http://www.sdairandspacemuseum.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was responding to your link of the launch site. Those of us who live here call it the Missile silo, but yes it is the launch site and it is east of Rapid City and the base. It is located near Wall and Kadoka roughly 80 miles east.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#28]
You might find this link to the local weather useful as well.

Rapid City weather
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just had a ribeye there tonight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#30]

If you can , bring a rifle . Lots of prairie dogs around that area
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I grew up in Custer. I wouldn't pay to visit Crazy Horse. Just a multi-generational money maker for the family, you can see it just fine from the road. But if you do visit Custer, get a burger at the Black Hills Burger & Bun Co., some neat shops on the main drag.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I felt the same way when i seen it.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#34]
They moved Eglin from Fl?
Who'd have thought...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I grew up in Custer. I wouldn't pay to visit Crazy Horse. Just a multi-generational money maker for the family, you can see it just fine from the road. But if you do visit Custer, get a burger at the Black Hills Burger & Bun Co., some neat shops on the main drag.

View Quote
I think Crazy Horse was the biggest waste of time & money also. You pay at the entrance and think you'll go up to it but you have to pay a second fee to ride a school bus to get close. They don't tell you that when you go through the first entrance. This was years ago so it may have changed but needless to say, we didn't spend a penny there and left pretty quick.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#37]
The Gaslight in Rockerville and the Powder House in Keystone, two good places to eat
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Every American should see Mt. Rushmore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#39]
The Flying V in Newcastle Wyo for eats. The Cosmo House in SD for oddity's .  Which way you driving up?

Wyoming has prairie goats (antelope) who like to use your grill, fenders and windshield for targets.

One More IMPORTANT ITEM, OK 2
It's OPEN RANGE. One minute it's nice open 2 lane's next turn, there's few head of cattle in your way. Or

X MARKS THE SPOT, signs off the shoulder. They're there for a reason. What looks like a section you can pass the tourist in front moving @ 10 under isn't.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Flying V in Newcastle Wyo for eats. The Cosmo House in SD for oddity's .  Which way you driving up?
View Quote

I left my google maps at work but it's the Springs up 25 thru Cheyenne then East on something I can't remember.

Anything decent in Cheyenne?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Iron Mountain Road
17 Miles in Length
This winding road extends between Mount Rushmore and the junctions of Highway 16A and SD 36. Along the highway are pigtail bridges and three tunnels which frame Mt. Rushmore in the distance.

My kids liked Bear Country USA, Reptile Gardens, and Rushmore Tramway Adventures.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Adoba and The Alex Johnson are good places to stay in Rapid. Both have bars and restaurants in/around them. Bring rain gear, it has been pretty wet lately.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:42:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Did this last summer - totally awesome!  Make sure and drive through the badlands also - well worth it.

Wall drug - interdasting but not sure if it was worth the stop..
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Custer State Park Lodge.

And get a buffalo steak!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Hill City SD, stay at the Holiday Inn Express, ride the 1880 Train 1880 Train out of Hill City. The drive to Mt Rushmore isn't but about 45 min or so from the hotel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Crazy Horse.   Go to Mount Rushmore first though.  Otherwise Rushmore will be twice as disappointing.

It was $10 to get in and $5 for a bus ride to the base of Crazy Horse.  The food there is good too.  IDK if they do it all year but during the Sturgis Rally if you give a $100 donation you can take a van ride up on top right next to the face and stay for an hour.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Go to Rochford and have a cold drink at the small bar in town. Getting there is half the fun. Take a drive up 385 that bisects the BH and either begin or end on a drive through Spearfish Canyon. While in the Canyon stop at Bridal Veil Falls and then take a hike up to Devil's Bathtub. If you like carrot cake then stop at Cheyenne Crossing and have a slice. It is to die for! If you are into hiking and geochaching then get a Forest Service map and a book on the Custer Expedition of the late 19th Century. You can follow along and see the spots that the soldiers camped and see the differences between then and now.
If you like SD artists stop in Hill City at the John Crane Gallery. He does amazing work and it is worth the trip.
If you like mountain biking take a ride on the Mickelson Trail. If you start at the north end it is more "downhill" but either way is great to see the Hills from a much different perspective.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
All good places.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All good places.  

What he said.  Stayed there two years ago.  All he says is true!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#50]
can't remember what it's called, but there is a place out there where gravity is all messed up stuff will roll up hill and other weird things. My buddy toured the house and said it was pretty neat.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top