Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 9:37:00 PM EDT
I was just reading the riding mower thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1729939_Buying_an_acre___can_a_decent_riding_mower_be_had_for_about_1k_.html

Apparently you can get a John Deere riding mower, BRAND NEW, 19HP, for less than $1,699.

I've been looking a Tavor recently, it costs MORE than that mower.  A SCAR 16 is WAY higher than a riding mower.

I realize this is an extreme apples to oranges comparison.  However, this was a real eye opener for me.  I figured a new riding mower like that would be at least double the $.

I realize the rifle(s) will be more precision made than the mower.  But a motor has to be relatively well crafted.  The mower is almost two orders of magnitude heavier than the rifle, which means shipping for all the parts to be assembled, as well as final transport will be MUCH higher.

Is it really just what people are willing to pay?  I admittedly know nothing about these things
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
One thing is, they're two completely different markets.   SCAR and Tavor market is very small.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Supply and demand.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Lawnmowers cant kill communists.

Lawnmowers cant kill communists from 100 yards away
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh yes they can,little guy

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can so
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

A bulldozer can, and at least one has.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

that's why i cut my lawn with a kalashnikov
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Some manufacturers believe that selling half as many rifles, at twice the profit, still equals the same amount of money in the end?

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
a mini14 used to cost about $400.00 and a colt ar-15 used to cost around $500.00, ak-47 used to run about $350.00.  and im guessing a riding mower was around $500 at the same time frame.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of them are worth it. Like kac, you get a very versatile and accurate platform. Plus everything is a little bigger than an AR-15.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Not worth the $$$$

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#13]
R&D and set up costs.  They had a factory built in the U.S. and it is a proprietary product.

Also a good riding lawn mower costs 10k+. You are talking bargain bin shit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Regulations....mother fucking regulations....

Why does a tin or pack of tobacco  cost more than other crops?  Mother fucking regs....
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

R&D and set up costs.  They had a factory built in the U.S. and it is a proprietary product.
Also a good riding lawn mower costs 10k+. You are talking bargain bin shit.
View Quote
Yeah comparing a diesel grasshopper to a scar and that JD to a hi point carbine is more accurate

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Your great grandkids will teach their children to shoot with that rifle.  You'll be lucky if that $1000 lawn mower is still running this time next year.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I've always wondered the same... it always comes down to supply and demand but fuck the SCARs, ACRs, PS90s , etc. are expensive.

Just take a look at the .22 LR market
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seabees
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Those lawnmowers are made in China
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Seabees
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seabees

No, Israelis.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, have you seen the price of precious metals?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Limited supply in the case of the modern ones. Limited supply plus the high cost of producing components for the older ones.

308 ARs were the same way, but now that they have become more popular and supply has expanded, you can assemble them for relatively cheap.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey you laugh.

But a shotgun will clear a Fl lake of cattails and Eleaphint ears in a hurry
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#25]
We can't have every peasant in the country armed with effective weapons.

One very good way to prevent that is to ensure that the weapons are expensive. That is accomplished in several ways. The licensing system and the import restrictions put in place in 1968 seem to be working very well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#26]
In the early 1980s an IBM PC cost $5,000. When they sold all they could, they lowered the price incrementally. What really changed the market was when clone manufacturers managed to duplicate the functionality without infringing on the patents. With competition, prices dropped and innovation proceeded.

It was estimated by PC Magazine that the cost of producing a PC back then was about $50.

Since the Second World War, the major thrust of weapons manufacturing has been lower production costs. A machined Garrand costs way more to make than a stamped and cast modern rifle.

The big advantage of the AR 18 over the AR 16 was the production cost, but it was too cheep looking for the military. 22 center fire was enough of a leap of faith.

The cost of producing an AR today is way less than $200. The rest is "name brand wannabe surcharge" and "slight discount off the major brands" greed.

All the market will bear. When they can make more profit building lawn mowers, Colt will be what you are riding.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#27]
High end lawn rifle vs pos lawnmower. Not the greatest comparison.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Supply and demand.

View Quote

FIRST 3 POSTS NAIL IT!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In the early 1980s an IBM PC cost $5,000. When they sold all they could, they lowered the price incrementally. What really changed the market was when clone manufacturers managed to duplicate the functionality without infringing on the patents. With competition, prices dropped and innovation proceeded.

It was estimated by PC Magazine that the cost of producing a PC back then was about $50.

Since the Second World War, the major thrust of weapons manufacturing has been lower production costs. A machined Garrand costs way more to make than a stamped and cast modern rifle.

The big advantage of the AR 18 over the AR 16 was the production cost, but it was too cheep looking for the military. 22 center fire was enough of a leap of faith.

The cost of producing an AR today is way less than $200. The rest is "name brand wannabe surcharge" and "slight discount off the major brands" greed.

All the market will bear. When they can make more profit building lawn mowers, Colt will be what you are riding.

View Quote

If Colt was assured they could make a profit building lawnmowers, they would promptly go in the panini business.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was just reading the riding mower thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1729939_Buying_an_acre___can_a_decent_riding_mower_be_had_for_about_1k_.html

Apparently you can get a John Deere riding mower, BRAND NEW, 19HP, for less than $1,699.

I've been looking a Tavor recently, it costs MORE than that mower.  A SCAR 16 is WAY higher than a riding mower.

I realize this is an extreme apples to oranges comparison.  However, this was a real eye opener for me.  I figured a new riding mower like that would be at least double the $.

I realize the rifle(s) will be more precision made than the mower.  But a motor has to be relatively well crafted.  The mower is almost two orders of magnitude heavier than the rifle, which means shipping for all the parts to be assembled, as well as final transport will be MUCH higher.

Is it really just what people are willing to pay?  I admittedly know nothing about these things
View Quote

I just bought a BNIB Tavor from a local guy for $1,400. I'm not sure it had ever been out of the box.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I have never seen a Travor hat
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If Colt was assured they could make a profit building lawnmowers, they would promptly go in the panini business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you even economy of scale bro? That POS John Deere has an engine in it that is made by the hundreds of thousands, a stamped steel mower deck made in dimilar quantities, etc. When you can spread your r&d and overhead costs over tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of units and are in a very competitive market, your profit and overhead are adjusted to said market conditions. There is very little competition in the bullpup market, and it is a small market at that, so overhead is apread over fewer units and profit is high due to said market conditions, thus a tavor costs more than a mass manufactured lawn mower.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone else in this thread mow the yard with night vision, and gotten neighbor complaints for it
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Ar-15 manufacturing is subsidized by a lot of different governments. And the design is in the public domain. In effect it is an “open source” platform.

If the US military, a bunch of law enforcement agencies, and a bunch of foreign governments decided to standardize on a .308 platform, release the patent so anyone could make the parts, and guaranteed that they would purchase hundreds of thousands of copies a year, then we would see prices on that .308 rifle drop drastically.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Has anyone else in this thread mow the yard with night vision, and gotten neighbor complaints for it
View Quote

Soon as my tractors put back together
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
Single cylinder Briggs and Stratton AVS craptastic engine, stamped 14 gauge deck, twisty frame and thin blades.  Built not by John Deere but AYP.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#40]
PTR91 pistol - $900

Tax stamp - $200

Total - $1100

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's when you tell them you pay the taxes on this land and they can pound sand!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#42]
What percentage of the population buys riding mowers? I'd say maybe 5%?

Now what percentage of the population buys boutique battle rifles? Is it 0.001% or is it perhaps closer to 0.000001%?

The market is TINY for those things, and they are complex mechanical devices constructed in first-world countries.

The riding mower uses ancient technology that is built in anonymous sweatshops in China.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

IBM PC's cost $5K because they were made by IBM.  It's just how they roll.

As for the $200 AR, I don't think I believe that.  That space is too competitive anymore.  If the fully loaded production cost of an AR was $200, you'd have people retailing them for $250-300 (25-50% margin), then everybody else would be forced to lower their prices to compete.

To the OP:  everybody knows that JD mower is a fake.  Common knowledge that just the JD green paint costs more than the price of that mower.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top