Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Cliff notes version: The bulk of the bad press surrounding the F-35 is coming from potential competitors in Europe and Asia who want to be able to sell their own aircraft to foreign customers. In actuality, the F-35 is going to be a game changing weapon that nobody else (including Russia) can hope to match. It is simply on another level. He also suggests this is why the F-22 production was stopped at 187 aircraft, as even its technology lagged far behind that of the F-35s systems.

It is pretty interesting to hear what an actual Russian military expert thinks of the aircraft after years of being trolled by the typical "Russia strong!" retards that totally discount what a difference maker the systems going into the F-35 really are.

http://youtu.be/uZbqkxjAK8E
View Quote

LOL, how's the Kool-Aid?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We didn't lose the war in Iraq.  Iraq lost the war in Iraq.  The big question after 9-11 was whether the Arab world had a cultural flaw preventing it from joining the 21st century, or whether they just suffered under poor governments.  Iraq was an opportunity to test whether the Arabs could be dragged into modernity, and it was a risk worth taking given the threat of terrorism and the compounding problem of nuclear proliferation.  We won the war part.  We crushed every army sent against us and took their capital, and left when we wanted to leave.  That's a military victory.  The political situation never stabilized because the Arab world is not ready for modernity.    

In short, the military lessons from Iraq are that we kick fucking ass.  The political lesson is that the next time some Arab terrorists fly planes into building we just kill them, we don't waste time building schools afterwards.  Instead, we put our own strongman in power and the CIA pats him on the ass on the way out and says "remember what happened to your predecessor."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that we have done and continue to do dumber things doesn't excuse stupidity. We have lost the war in Iraq. The F35 has not helped us not lose the war in Iraq, has not prevented any sort of terror attack, and will never do so. It's a very expensive game of tilting at windmills with made up money. We are headed for a Soviet style burnout because we are letting ourselves do the exact same things the USSR did that caused it's failure as a state.

We didn't lose the war in Iraq.  Iraq lost the war in Iraq.  The big question after 9-11 was whether the Arab world had a cultural flaw preventing it from joining the 21st century, or whether they just suffered under poor governments.  Iraq was an opportunity to test whether the Arabs could be dragged into modernity, and it was a risk worth taking given the threat of terrorism and the compounding problem of nuclear proliferation.  We won the war part.  We crushed every army sent against us and took their capital, and left when we wanted to leave.  That's a military victory.  The political situation never stabilized because the Arab world is not ready for modernity.    

In short, the military lessons from Iraq are that we kick fucking ass.  The political lesson is that the next time some Arab terrorists fly planes into building we just kill them, we don't waste time building schools afterwards.  Instead, we put our own strongman in power and the CIA pats him on the ass on the way out and says "remember what happened to your predecessor."

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I havent ignored anything.  Im sure the F35 will be a gigantic systems platform capable of detecting and coordinating anything.  That part of the plane has promise.  My serious worry is that we are basing our national air superiority this constant mantra that this aircraft will rewrite historically proven air combat facts.  I hope it does but if it doesnt we are screwed.  We have put all our eggs in one basket.  Then just to magnify that problem we decided to take that basket and burden it with a useless VTOL system that has forces a very capable systems platform to compromise on just about every other physical necessity in a strike platform. One service components selfish demands have caused some monumental design compromises.  It appears the chinese are developing a very similar aircraft that wont be burdened by the design limitations of the VTOL system, so what happens when 2025 rolls around and they have an interconnected situationally aware aircraft that can out turn, shoot, and run our F35?

Chip talks about what this plane will do in 2025.  The problem is that this plane was sold to us as being able to be here in 2015 for a half a billion less. Yes Im sure the F35 will be well ahead of every other thing flying in terms of situation awareness and inter connectivity, but we have bet the farm on the idea that that is what will make it superior, while our enemies are designing systems that will likely have the same interoperability but with better physical capabilities.
View Quote

What has led you to believe this? I certainly don't think it's true.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The reason why I say the F-35B model has the potential to be the biggest game-changer is because it doesn't need a CVN or airfield in Saudi Arabia to launch from or recover to.

Not only can it launch and recover from an LHA or LHD, but it can do it from other smaller vessels as well.

Imagine deploying an aircraft that has LO, Information gathering capabilities more like an AWACS, who knows what kind of ECM, can fly faster with a combat load than any of the teen fighters, has awesome loitering time, and can netlink with other aircraft, ships, and soldiers on the ground while sharing that information with them.

For example, I suspect taking down Iran becomes a possibility if they violate the nuclear non-proliferation agreement and whoever the POTUS is decides to use military force, in conjunction with Gulf partners.

On a much smaller level, a limited conflict in Africa with regional terrorist factions could be dealt with in a totally different manner that we would today with a small multi-service CJSOTF with F-35's in support as command and control birds, with CAS and aerial reconnaissance as secondary missions on-call without needing totally different planes.

That makes the logistics footprint and Theater Commander response times much quicker, since nobody needs to wait for a CVN to arrive.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The other thing is that many F-35's don't need to fly in the "front wave" or forward trace in a conventional setting.

With Gen 4 + aircraft equipped with Link-16, and all the other Link-16 equipped assets in theater, you can basically roll into anyone's integrated air defense network and erase their CAP and SAM defenses like it was fun.

I think a lot of us have been pigeon-holing into the framework of a lone F-35 up there fighting against Su-30's with AESA radar and Russian advertised A2A capabilities on a Top Gun movie set, which was already total BS for the mid-1980's.

Even if we just leverage the reality that the F-35 might be held in a C3 role behind a pack of Raptors and F-15's, everything changes.

For one, if we chose to fly the F-22 in the old framework of A2A, which most people are clueless about BTW, it is still without equal.

Heck, even a 1990's-era F-15C squadron would spank the living dog crap out of pilots equipped with the latest Su-27's and Su-30's for a number of reasons, the main ones being training and logistics, followed by proven missile systems and other aspects of air dominance that the layman doesn't know about.

The F-22 capabilities alone are enough to give Raptor pilots such an overmatch, that career fighter weapons pilots (who have been flying teen fighters longer than new Raptor pilots have been living) are getting spanked by the noobs over and over, even to the extent that one of the most experienced & cross-trained USMC fighter pilots took 6 months to re-learn how to conduct aerial warfare with the F-22, and that was with him flying F-22's vs. F-22's.  That should send shivers down the spine of every pilot in Russia, China, and Iran.

With just the F-22 by itself, you could realistically erase any of the largest air forces in the world in a campaign measured in hours.  Even if you limited the F-22 to a 4th Gen fighter, it exceeds the operational speed, maneuverability, and lethality of any other fighter aircraft hands-down.  The F-22 represented the first operational 5th Generation Fighter, call it Gen 5.1

Now team it up with a Gen 5.N with the F-35, and something synergistic happens.  Throw in some other programs that have been kept deep under wraps, and consider the net-centric capabilities of leveraging UAV's, and I think the swiftness by which we could abuse any of the biggest militaries in the world would be shocking.  The political implications are huge, and could really get to the head of someone who does not keep the love of power in check.

Since Russia is technologically playing catch-up, that does not bode well for any of her customers, especially as the Su-30 uncommanded self-ejection plagues the foreign buyers in China, India, Vietnam, and Malaysia.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't know shit as a civilian.  But I find that very hard to believe.  The F4 didn't need a gun either.  I'm not a pilot either -- but I know enough to listen to the experts who do.  And the F4 didn't need a gun.  

Advantage has always gone to pilot with greatest KE. in years past, this was true -- watch the video

Stealth can and will be compromised. There is no such thing as "stealth", nor is it "compromised".  There's low observabibility, and it's a spectrum of things that decrease the RCS of an aircraft.

The Soviets couldn't shoot the SR71 down for one very good reason. That was true in the 1970s, it's not true anymore

The most cardinal rule will still apply regardless of LM PR, physics and shit. [red]It's not a "cardinal rule" anymore, or so says the guy who is an actual expert in the field.  His own words "You are old, and you will lose."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The F-15 is a 2.5M+ aircraft. Fact. The F-16 is a 2.0M aircraft. Fact. And, the F-35 is only a 1.6M aircraft. Fact.

The F-15, 16, 18, and every other fighter 1 reach these max Machs at 36,000 feet.  Meanwhile, the sucky F-35 has its max Mach KPP specified at 28,500 feet.  Bigger numbers are always better.  Always.

That's science.  And you can't argue against science.

Tides come in, tides go out - you can't explain that.

That's what's so awesome about the F22.  IF / WHEN stealth is compromised it's still a peerless adversary.

"You're never going to get very far in air warfare in an aircraft a lot slower than the enemy."  Roland Beamont.

As much as LM PR would like you to think otherwise the basics still apply.  Speed is STILL life.

I found it interesting that the Marine F/A-18 (2000hrs) + Top Gun Instructor, F-16 exchange x 1yr, F-22 TX (first USMC pilot to fly the Raptor), and F-35 pilot says the F-35 takes that "Speed is life" rule about aerial combat, and makes it untrue.

He actually said that his experience in the F-22, which is basically the fastest fighter in the world when loaded for combat, taught him that fifth-generation fighters make that rule obsolete.  To say that speed is the least impressive feature of the world's fastest fighter is an incredible statement.

I don't know shit as a civilian.  But I find that very hard to believe.  The F4 didn't need a gun either.  I'm not a pilot either -- but I know enough to listen to the experts who do.  And the F4 didn't need a gun.  

Advantage has always gone to pilot with greatest KE. in years past, this was true -- watch the video

Stealth can and will be compromised. There is no such thing as "stealth", nor is it "compromised".  There's low observabibility, and it's a spectrum of things that decrease the RCS of an aircraft.

The Soviets couldn't shoot the SR71 down for one very good reason. That was true in the 1970s, it's not true anymore

The most cardinal rule will still apply regardless of LM PR, physics and shit. [red]It's not a "cardinal rule" anymore, or so says the guy who is an actual expert in the field.  His own words "You are old, and you will lose."

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I havent ignored anything.  Im sure the F35 will be a gigantic systems platform capable of detecting and coordinating anything.  That part of the plane has promise.  My serious worry is that we are basing our national air superiority this constant mantra that this aircraft will rewrite historically proven air combat facts.  I hope it does but if it doesnt we are screwed.  We have put all our eggs in one basket.  Then just to magnify that problem we decided to take that basket and burden it with a useless VTOL system that has forces a very capable systems platform to compromise on just about every other physical necessity in a strike platform. One service components selfish demands have caused some monumental design compromises.  It appears the chinese are developing a very similar aircraft that wont be burdened by the design limitations of the VTOL system, so what happens when 2025 rolls around and they have an interconnected situationally aware aircraft that can out turn, shoot, and run our F35?

Chip talks about what this plane will do in 2025.  The problem is that this plane was sold to us as being able to be here in 2015 for a half a billion less. Yes Im sure the F35 will be well ahead of every other thing flying in terms of situation awareness and inter connectivity, but we have bet the farm on the idea that that is what will make it superior, while our enemies are designing systems that will likely have the same interoperability but with better physical capabilities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the chinese version of the F35 will be spectacular.  I mean, not being designed around a VOTL system simply so the marines can have some nostalgia is a huge leap forward.  Hell theirs might be able to carry 5 or 6 bombs while still being stealth.

I've been looking at the VTOL aspect of the JSF in the short term as a major stumbling block for the program, but....

In the back of my mind, I'm asking, "What happens when you let a MAGTF respond to a theater that normally would require months of USAF staging into land-based locations before combat operations can commence?

The big question here is, what happens when a 5th Gen Fighter, which also has VTOL capability, can respond to contingencies and also act as part of an air armada for a Joint Forces Campaign.

You're looking at an aircraft that possesses the deployability of a Harrier, awareness of more than an AWACS and F-22 combined, that can fly faster than an F-15E with combat load at altitude, and doesn't suffer from stores CAT limitations with that combat load for maneuverability, speed, and endurance.  Once initial dominance and SEAD is accomplished, you can now transition to FAC and CAS with a lot of loiter time with the F-35's internal fuel capacity, with information integration and communication providing the most effective component of CAS over actual munitions on target.  With sensor fusion and ground forces IFF, the F-35 can control organic fire support and indirect assets already on the ground to eliminate ground threats to troops in contact, without every needing to fire a round or drop a bomb, and the munitions can be much smaller due to PGM, so that ground forces have more combat endurance.

Add a USMC pilot to that equation, then multiply x a few dozen, with the proactive capability of an LHA/LHD, and we have a seriously game-changing type of task force that has not been known in history.

Pretty sure the VTOL concept was promised to be a game changer in Iraq and never materialized.  Its a concept that will likely not be needed anytime soon, if ever again.  Hell the harrier is a shitty as CAS fighter if you need it for more than 20 minutes.  It was requested to support beach assault landings which will never again be attempted in a contested environment.   We dont fight like Guadalcanal any more, the range of both our and their weapons systems makes it foolish. The VTOL system is a waste of time with jets. Its unnecessary and the compromises necessary to make it happen are what inevitably make the jet less useful than the alternative aircrafts.  Sure, they are cramming every single electronic system they can into the F35, but at the end of the day, it still cant turn, shoot, or run and carrys 4 bombs in the most optimistic of environments.   As the guy on the ground, no thanks

Know how I can tell you've completely ignored everything in this thread?

No, he talks about what this plane and the F22 do right now.  Did you not hear him talking about how he, a TOPGUN instructor pilot --the best of the best at killing aircraft -- with thousands of hours, got beat, and beat, and beat again by 200 hour pilots who understood how to fight the fifth generation air war?  Watch the whole video.  

And I don't believe that China or Russia are building the network centric warfare capabilities we are.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The fact that we have done and continue to do dumber things doesn't excuse stupidity. We have lost the war in Iraq. The F35 has not helped us not lose the war in Iraq, has not prevented any sort of terror attack, and will never do so. It's a very expensive game of tilting at windmills with made up money. We are headed for a Soviet style burnout because we are letting ourselves do the exact same things the USSR did that caused it's failure as a state.

I never said that losing the war was a military failure, the failure just makes the military irrelevant.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The reason why I say the F-35B model has the potential to be the biggest game-changer is because it doesn't need a CVN or airfield in Saudi Arabia to launch from or recover to.

Not only can it launch and recover from an LHA or LHD, but it can do it from other smaller vessels as well.

Imagine deploying an aircraft that has LO, Information gathering capabilities more like an AWACS, who knows what kind of ECM, can fly faster with a combat load than any of the teen fighters, has awesome loitering time, and can netlink with other aircraft, ships, and soldiers on the ground while sharing that information with them.

For example, I suspect taking down Iran becomes a possibility if they violate the nuclear non-proliferation agreement and whoever the POTUS is decides to use military force, in conjunction with Gulf partners.

On a much smaller level, a limited conflict in Africa with regional terrorist factions could be dealt with in a totally different manner that we would today with a small multi-service CJSOTF with F-35's in support as command and control birds, with CAS and aerial reconnaissance as secondary missions on-call without needing totally different planes.

That makes the logistics footprint and Theater Commander response times much quicker, since nobody needs to wait for a CVN to arrive.

View Quote

If it's VTOLing, it's not having an awesome loiter time.

As to the rest, we'll see how accurate the brochures are.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm in the minority in opining that despite the horrifying development and procurement process and costs, that it's going to be a good plane not a giant smoking turd.
View Quote
Look at the history of almost any major aircraft project in the last few decades... they ALL had/have problems, and many have gone well over their expected costs. And yet we keep cranking out awesome machines like the F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, etc.

The F-35 is just having fairly typical growing pains, and it's also extremely complex. There's a lot more to think about in terms of development and integration than there were in the 70s.

I think the 35 is going to be an amazing aircraft that does its job very, very well.

ETA: Didn't realize there were 4 pages already with people a lot smarter than me posting. Nevermind

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Even if you limited the F-22 to a 4th Gen fighter, it exceeds the operational speed, maneuverability, and lethality of any other fighter aircraft hands-down.
View Quote

Thus Japan's interest in an export version that lacked the LO and an exportable avionics suite.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:27:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And I don't believe that China or Russia are building the network centric warfare capabilities we are.
View Quote

Network you say,  

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For $350 MILLION each it better damned well be.

Remember the Me262, fastest jet in the world?  120mph faster than the P-51?

Still got shot down, when taking off or landing.

What good is 23 F-35s gonna do?  against 8972 chinese f-5 clones.

Basic logic is escaping a large number of people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It better be the best damn plane that has ever taken to the air.

This.

For $350 MILLION each it better damned well be.

Remember the Me262, fastest jet in the world?  120mph faster than the P-51?

Still got shot down, when taking off or landing.

What good is 23 F-35s gonna do?  against 8972 chinese f-5 clones.

Basic logic is escaping a large number of people.

With the number you quoted above for the F-35 cost, it's still cheaper than many airliners. The most advanced aircraft in the world is cheaper than a bus in the sky. Most of the R&D costs have been spent....
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Look at the history of almost any major aircraft project in the last few decades... they ALL had/have problems, and many have gone well over their expected costs. And yet we keep cranking out awesome machines like the F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, etc.

The F-35 is just having fairly typical growing pains, and it's also extremely complex. There's a lot more to think about in terms of development and integration than there were in the 70s.

I think the 35 is going to be an amazing aircraft that does its job very, very well.

ETA: Didn't realize there were 4 pages already with people a lot smarter than me posting. Nevermind

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in the minority in opining that despite the horrifying development and procurement process and costs, that it's going to be a good plane not a giant smoking turd.

Even something as relatively simple as the M1 Abrams had numerous problems when it came out.

They were fixed.

Hell, the even simpler AR had problems that were rectified.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can control my house thermostat, security cameras, and music on both my car and my living room with my phone while buying plane tickets and checking my email.  With a couple of extra software programs I can use my phone to remote access my home PC from just about anywhere.  Connectivity and interoperability is already here.  Applying it to military applications is just the next obvious step.  The difference is that we are making the pitch that no one else will have these capabilities and that because of that we dont need the historically proven physical capabilities necessary to win in a peer to peer fight. We have thrown every available dollar and then some into developing the F35.  So much so that there is no extra money for a backup plan if the F35 suddenly becomes outclassed or irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]

No, he talks about what this plane and the F22 do right now.  Did you not hear him talking about how he, a TOPGUN instructor pilot --the best of the best at killing aircraft -- with thousands of hours, got beat, and beat, and beat again by 200 hour pilots who understood how to fight the fifth generation air war?  Watch the whole video.  

View Quote

I did, it was a good video.  Just pointing out that the F35 has already failed or missed almost all of its initial promises.  Russia doesnt have the capability to have network centric warfare.  Im pretty sure they just recently started producing basic computer hardware so they are pretty far behind the curve.  However I think it would be naive to assume that china isnt.  They have already stolen the plans to the F35 and started implementing them in their own designs.  Networks are the future and one of the worlds largest economies combined with the worlds largest labor/talent pool will certainly be developing network centric systems.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I can control my house thermostat, security cameras, and music on both my car and my living room with my phone while buying plane tickets and checking my email.  With a couple of extra software programs I can use my phone to remote access my home PC from just about anywhere.  Connectivity and interoperability is already here.  Applying it to military applications is just the next obvious step.  The difference is that we are making the pitch that no one else will have these capabilities and that because of that we dont need the historically proven physical capabilities necessary to win in a peer to peer fight. We have thrown every available dollar and then some into developing the F35.  So much so that there is no extra money for a backup plan if the F35 suddenly becomes outclassed or irrelevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you are saying is that there are no guarantees in this world? OK.

Pretty sure there is no way the F-35 is in danger of being "suddenly" outclassed or irrelevant.

Those old F-15s , F-16s, F-18s won't fly forever and historically the US taxpayer get a much better ROI on military tech than any of our potential adversaries.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Pretty sure there is no way the F-35 is in danger of being "suddenly" outclassed or irrelevant.

Those old F-15s , F-16s, F-18s won't fly forever and historically the US taxpayer get a much better ROI on military tech than any of our potential adversaries.
View Quote

No there are no guarantees, but to think that we are the only ones to be focusing on network connectivity is stupid.  The F35 has fantastic capability but its physical limitations are defined by a naive and stupid demand for a VTOL system based around an event that happened in WW2.  The older air frames wont be around forever but we have put all of our eggs in one basket under the assumption that we will be the only kids on the block with the golden gun of networking.  Its a foolish assumption and we shouldnt limit an aircraft's potential based off of one services ridiculous demands for flying without a runway. The insistence of the F35s designers is that networking will protect if from everything else.  So much so that it doesnt need to be able to out shoot out turn or out run any physical competition. If it loses that single networking capability it becomes a multi billion dollar target that cant run, turn, or shoot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I did, it was a good video.  Just pointing out that the F35 has already failed or missed almost all of its initial promises.  Russia doesnt have the capability to have network centric warfare.  Im pretty sure they just recently started producing basic computer hardware so they are pretty far behind the curve.  However I think it would be naive to assume that china isnt.  They have already stolen the plans to the F35 and started implementing them in their own designs.  Networks are the future and one of the worlds largest economies combined with the worlds largest labor/talent pool will certainly be developing network centric systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What, precisely, has the F35 "failed"?  I'm curious, because aside from being late and costing money (which every program is and does), all three variants are flyin and on track for IOC.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No there are no guarantees, but to think that we are the only ones to be focusing on network connectivity is stupid.  The F35 has fantastic capability but its physical limitations are defined by a naive and stupid demand for a VTOL system based around an event that happened in WW2.  The older air frames wont be around forever but we have put all of our eggs in one basket under the assumption that we will be the only kids on the block with the golden gun of networking.  Its a foolish assumption and we shouldnt limit an aircraft's potential based off of one services ridiculous demands for flying without a runway. The insistence of the F35s designers is that networking will protect if from everything else.  So much so that it doesnt need to be able to out shoot out turn or out run any physical competition. If it loses that single networking capability it becomes a multi billion dollar target that cant run, turn, or shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Again, you're not paying attention, and you need to go back and watch the video again.

It can turn, fly, shoot, and matches up well to 4th gen fighters in that regard. It's not an f22, but it was never meant to be and doesn't need to be.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Its initial fielding and virtually all of its initial cost estimates.  On top of that its created such a problem in the airforce that generals are getting "retired" for telling subordinates that its treason to talk negatively about the program.  1 Trillion dollars is FAR beyond the scope of any other military program in history and so far we dont have much to show for it. When this many people deeply involved in the program have problems with it, its time to admit we have made mistakes and correct them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Again, you're not paying attention, and you need to go back and watch the video again.

It can turn, fly, shoot, and matches up well to 4th gen fighters in that regard. It's not an f22, but it was never meant to be and doesn't need to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No its a 5th generation fighter that wont be able to hold its own against enemy 5th generation fighters unless everything in its network is working perfectly. Its functionality and usefulness requires that it be connected to everything else on the battlefield.  Take that connection away or degrade it and its either a sitting duck or a useless asset.  One LTC talking about its amazing capabilities is not anywhere near enough to ease the tensions caused by this program within its own community.  When airforce generals are getting retired because they are trying to quell dissent within their own ranks over a program we need to take a harder look at the program.  Sorry it im not going to blindly believe industry insiders with a trillion dollar contract on the line.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No its a 5th generation fighter that wont be able to hold its own against enemy 5th generation fighters unless everything in its network is working perfectly. Its functionality and usefulness requires that it be connected to everything else on the battlefield.  Take that connection away or degrade it and its either a sitting duck or a useless asset.  One LTC talking about its amazing capabilities is not anywhere near enough to ease the tensions caused by this program within its own community.  When airforce generals are getting retired because they are trying to quell dissent within their own ranks over a program we need to take a harder look at the program.  Sorry it im not going to blindly believe industry insiders with a trillion dollar contract on the line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are two fifth gen fighters in existence. The F22 and the F35.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Its initial fielding and virtually all of its initial cost estimates.  On top of that its created such a problem in the airforce that generals are getting "retired" for telling subordinates that its treason to talk negatively about the program.  1 Trillion dollars is FAR beyond the scope of any other military program in history and so far we dont have much to show for it. When this many people deeply involved in the program have problems with it, its time to admit we have made mistakes and correct them.
View Quote

If your only problem with it is cost and delivery date, you haven't paid attention to every other weapon development program since the 1940s.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If your only problem with it is cost and delivery date, you haven't paid attention to every other weapon development program since the 1940s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think thats my only problem with it you havent read the last 4 pages.  My entire argument is that the F35 has amazing potential but we are limiting it based off the marines historical fear of not having a CAS platform that requires runways.  VTOL is a waste of time and effort and the compromises necessary to make it happen hamstring just about every other asset necessary in an aircraft that does anything more than beach head CAS.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry it im not going to blindly believe industry insiders with a trillion dollar contract on the line.
View Quote

And that, folks, is why ARFcom GD was created. To get the truth out.

Seriously you are in the same boat as all of us and are going to have to wait a while until the real story plays out.

I, for one, hope we get that for which we have paid (borrowed).
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet.  The F35 isnt operational and the F22 had most of its orders canceled (admittedly because it was so awesome that it didnt need as many, but it isnt a strike aircraft.  Its only designed for a certain role)
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I would just like to take a moment and rewind to the early 2000s when the media stories were all in agreement that the F-22 was too overweight and underpowered to hang with the F-15C.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would just like to take a moment and rewind to the early 2000s when the media stories were all in agreement that the F-22 was too overweight and underpowered to hang with the F-15C.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yet.  The F35 isnt operational and the F22 had most of its orders canceled (admittedly because it was so awesome that it didnt need as many, but it isnt a strike aircraft.  Its only designed for a certain role)
View Quote

The F-35 is going to be operational before the end of the year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, not joking.

ETA:
I should add the caveat that positive stories about the performance of the aircraft were dismissed as "he's a company test pilot, of course he's going to say that", and so forth.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We hope. From everything put out it still has a LOT of kinks to work out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no, the USMC is going to declare IOC, come hell or high water.  There are no standards for how we define IOC and they've already got them on the Wasp, so short of crashing all six or catching them on fire, they will declare IOC.  Look at what bullshit they pulled with the MV-22, falsifying maintenance records and the whole nine yards.  The -35 will be no different.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Oh no, the USMC is going to declare IOC, come hell or high water.  There are no standards for how we define IOC and they've already got them on the Wasp, so short of crashing all six or catching them on fire, they will declare IOC.  Look at what bullshit they pulled with the MV-22, falsifying maintenance records and the whole nine yards.  The -35 will be no different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have very little doubt that this is what will happen.  The actual results and capabilities of the F35 wont truly be shown until it is actually expected to perform.  We just have to hope that when that happens, its competitor isnt able to beat it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you think thats my only problem with it you havent read the last 4 pages.  My entire argument is that the F35 has amazing potential but we are limiting it based off the marines historical fear of not having a CAS platform that requires runways.  VTOL is a waste of time and effort and the compromises necessary to make it happen hamstring just about every other asset necessary in an aircraft that does anything more than beach head CAS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VTOL doesn't hamstring the a and c models at all, and the b model is far more capable than the harrier it replaces. You're simply too deep into your biases to listen to a guy who actually flies the aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yup, not joking.

ETA:
I should add the caveat that positive stories about the performance of the aircraft were dismissed as "he's a company test pilot, of course he's going to say that", and so forth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, not joking.

ETA:

Arfcom gd would have said that about the f15 and f16 if it had been around in the 70s too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have very little doubt that this is what will happen.  The actual results and capabilities of the F35 wont truly be shown until it is actually expected to perform.  We just have to hope that when that happens, its competitor isnt able to beat it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What competitor?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#39]

VTOL doesn't hamstring the a and c models at all, and the b model is far more capable than the harrier it replaces. You're simply too deep into your biases to listen to a guy who actually flies the aircraft.
View Quote

Correct me if Im wrong, but wasnt much of the system (all three of them) built around the engine? The VTOL Concept is one that has never truly been needed and never actually been used.  The fact that much of the aircraft is built around it propulsion system means that all models had to make compromises in order for one model to have its "special" capability.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Correct me if Im wrong, but wasnt much of the system (all three of them) built around the engine? The VTOL Concept is one that has never truly been needed and never actually been used.  The fact that much of the aircraft is built around it propulsion system means that all models had to make compromises in order for one model to have its "special" capability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We've already developed it.  It makes no sense at this point to cancel any of the models.  Plus, the STOVL gives us a capability to have a top tier fighter off of a very short deck, a capability we haven't had since we were flying F4U's off of escort carriers.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes you are wrong.

Feel better???
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We've already developed it.  It makes no sense at this point to cancel any of the models.  Plus, the STOVL gives us a capability to have a top tier fighter off of a very short deck, a capability we haven't had since we were flying F4U's off of escort carriers.    
View Quote

And gives that capability to a bunch of our allies that can't afford CATOBAR carriers: UK, Italy, and possibly Spain, Australia, Turkey, and Japan.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#43]

What competitor?
View Quote

China.  You know, the ones that stole a significant portion of the design plans?  The worlds fastest growing economy? That one?  Russia will spend itself to death long before its anything more than a regional threat.  China however has almost limitless capabilities, a massive manufacturing base, and the worlds largest population/ labor force.  Considering they seem to be basing most of their militar7 capabilities off of countering ours, and stealing our technology every chance they get, we should be concerned.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes you are wrong.

Feel better???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you are wrong.

Feel better???

Well Id love it if you backed it up with something.  No your right, I should simply agree that Im wrong and just move on.  

ETA
-If you can actually give me something Id appreciate it.  Most of what I have read is telling me that much of the system is designed around the engine and the marines ridiculous insistence on an STOVL capability.  If you can actually give me something to counter that Id like it.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm going to do ARFCOM a favor and stay out of this one.
You are welcome.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have developed it compromising much of the aircrafts capabilities in the process.  And we made those compromises based off a capability that we have never truly needed or used. Our military might is based off of carrier groups that will likely not be rivaled in any of our lifetimes. Letting the marines have "carriers" so that they can act as some tiny independent fighting force outside of the joint environment is stupid.

F35 fanboys. Answer me this.  If this thing is so amazing, why is there so much pushback from the airforce and aeronautical industry? If its so amazing, why is almost everyone not involved with its acquisition saying that it isnt?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

China.  You know, the ones that stole a significant portion of the design plans?  The worlds fastest growing economy? That one?  Russia will spend itself to death long before its anything more than a regional threat.  China however has almost limitless capabilities, a massive manufacturing base, and the worlds largest population/ labor force.  Considering they seem to be basing most of their militar7 capabilities off of countering ours, and stealing our technology every chance they get, we should be concerned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What competitor?

China is building up their military, but where things stand today, they'd get crushed by us. I strongly suspect Japan alone would stomp them. Hell, even Taiwan would give them a significant fight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

China is building up their military, but where things stand today, they'd get crushed by us. I strongly suspect Japan alone would stomp them. Hell, even Taiwan would give them a significant fight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What competitor?

When you look at what they have economically to back them, this can only last for so long.  Today isnt the problem, and its not what our military plans for.  Half of the F35 is political based off a 2/4/6 year election cycle.  Meanwhile China is developing its military capabilities based off of a 50 year plan and where they want to be in the next century
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Remember what a death trap the Bradley was going to be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember what a death trap the Bradley was going to be?
It still is, we just don't have a peer enemy with tanks anymore to expose it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well Id love it if you backed it up with something.  No your right, I should simply agree that Im wrong and just move on.  

ETA
-If you can actually give me something Id appreciate it.  Most of what I have read is telling me that much of the system is designed around the engine and the marines ridiculous insistence on an STOVL capability.  If you can actually give me something to counter that Id like it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you are wrong.

Feel better???

ETA

It might save you some embarrassment. Your call.

Everything is open source but that requires a little search.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top