Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2015 4:00:53 PM EDT
My buddy saw this happen a little while ago. This is right by my work. Motorcycle had the green and a car ran the light and the cycle hit the car. Guy died when his head hit the ground and burst like a melon.  

click
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm alive today because of a helmet worn while on my motorcycle.  

Still don't believe in the State forcing people to wear them.

It's still the smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Ohio doesn't mandate their use any longer but I have one on every time I go out. Mine also provide a good place to mount comms headsets, and that gear has also saved my bacon a few times over the years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't help the guy with his head wedged into the back of a semi
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Should read, "Please wear a FULL face helmet."
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should read, "Please wear a FULL face helmet."
View Quote

Yep, brain buckets are useless
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet it wouldn't have helped the guy riding his bike through Nagasaki on 8/9/45 either
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Shouldn't be a law.
Should be worn.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shouldn't be a law.
Should be worn.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

One should also avoid semis, or anything else much more massive than your two-wheeler for that matter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Shouldn't be a law.

Should be worn.
View Quote
+1

I don't feel to sorry for no gear riders , smokers with cancer ,  or any drug addict

its not like its some huge secret not to do those things

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Never understood why folks would ride without one, but I don't believe the State should mandate it.

I'll take my 8 airbags, crumple zones, and seatbelts thanks you very much.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
As am I.....

Wear em kids!

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Helmets = open casket funerals.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]
A helmet saved my melon once.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A helmet saved my melon once.
View Quote

A helmet saved my wife's melon once when her bike was t-boned at an intersection and she went flying.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shouldn't be a law.
Should be worn.
View Quote

I can't disagree with this at all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Shouldn't be a law.
Should be worn.
View Quote

Agreed!
Always did, even when riding my bicycle(mtbr).
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a law here.
Should be worn.

I have been guilty of not wearing a helmet before.  Sometimes it gets hot in Tx!  

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I would not be making this post if it weren't for wearing a helmet. Motorcycles are fun, but include risk. Reduce the risk.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes I wear one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#21]

ATGATT

Full body leather, armor, boots, gloves, Full Shark helmet...all the time. I also ride like EVERYONE is trying to kill me.  

Which means that I seldom just go for short rides, or use my bike as a primary mode of transportation.  (I don't just run to the store on it.) I do take long trips on it, and lots of pleasure rides.   But gearing up is a real commitment, and my spaceman/leather gimp look is a little embarrassing.  But the alternative is I stop riding...

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#23]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I am here today because of my full face helmet. Some lady turned left in front of me and I went sailing 35 MPH. Landed head first and walked away from it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I"m not against wearing gear, how about we do more to remove idiots from behind the wheel?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree with "it shouldn't be a law, but they should be worn".  I always wear full gear including a full face helmet when I ride, because it's my choice to do so.  I learned that lesson by witnessing this:  

I was on duty in a hospital one night when they brought in a guy that had come off of a bike at over 100 mph.  He was wearing full leathers, steel toed boots, and a full face helmet at the time of the accident.  He apparently landed on his face and the helmet was abraded down to the foam padding on his chin and the whole right side.  His leathers, boots, and gloves looked like they had been through a shredder

The damage to him?  He had a sprained ankle, and an abrasion to the heel of one hand, that's all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

me too, all of that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#28]
The medical profession has a term of art for those motorcycle riders who do not wear helmets:  Organ Donor
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I went down on my bike at somewhere north of 80mph. The bike went almost 200 feet on its side. I had on a full face helmet and joe rocket gloves and a Honda racing coat. The helmet had a 2 inch wide scuff/burn all the way around it from the pavement as I was tumbling. The shoulder of the coat was chewed through to the liner and the elbows were black from the friction of the road as well. The gloves had the padding above the knuckles ground off and the palm of both gloves was chewed up as well. I got up, walked over to the bike and picked it up and pushed it off the road. Needless to say all the rash would have been my face/hands if not for the gear. I walked away with 2 lines of road rash about an inch long out of the deal.

Other side of the story....
    My cousins ex husband was in florida. No helmet law there. He was out with a group and a car changed lanes without signaling. The Ex went into the curb, flipping him off the bike and hit his head on the curb and was dead before the bike stopped skidding. Moral of the story....if he would have had a helmet on he probably would have walked away from the accident.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quality helmets have saved my life at least four times in 45 years.
Three collisions with cars in which two were hit and runs and once when I went down hard at night turning a corner.

Atgatt all ways.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Probably shouldn't be a law.

Definitely shouldn't need to be a law.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Helmets and seatbelts shouldn't be required by law. The smart people will use them, the foolish ones won't.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
But gearing up is a real commitment, and my spaceman/leather gimp look is a little embarrassing.
View Quote

No it's not.  I see people riding in flip flops, shorts, no helmet, and I know that guy's a dumbass.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No it's not.  I see people riding in flip flops, shorts, no helmet, and I know that guy's a dumbass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But gearing up is a real commitment, and my spaceman/leather gimp look is a little embarrassing.

Then they wreck, sliding across the pavement, and it looks like someone took a giant cheese grater to the dumbass.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Helmets and seatbelts shouldn't be required by law. The smart people will use them, the foolish ones won't.

View Quote
Foolish ones don't have enough insurance either, so we all pay for their brain surgery.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#36]
We did this just a few weeks ago.

Click me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Fatal accident just an hour ago couple blocks from work. Intersection I go through every day.

City bus turning across traffic, headlong into a bike.

Edit: No helmet in the world would have saved this one.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Shouldn't be a law.

Should be worn.
View Quote

Absolutely. Kinda like seatbelts...shouldn't need a law to enforce common sense.

I figure in either case it's a good way to weed out the gene pool a bit...grown people can make grown choices. Just b/c they're stupid...well...

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Actually, I have a buddy of mine in Houston whose son is waiting for new lungs.  So if you're in Houston, don't smoke, are on the small side, and don't like helmets, ride on.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Never understood why folks would ride without one, but I don't believe the State should mandate it.

I'll take my 8 airbags, crumple zones, and seatbelts thanks you very much.
View Quote

Yup.  Driving a car is dangerous enough.  Take those things away?  No thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#43]
No helmet, I'm good with that just as long as you have a DNR and living will donating your undamaged organs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#44]
squids.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

No amount of protective gear will help you if you're stupid.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I bet it wouldn't have helped the guy riding his bike through Nagasaki on 8/9/45 either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha awesome!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't wear one most of the time.  Everyone dies at some point.  I know it's stupid.  I don't care.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#48]
You really have to be an idiot not to wear a helmet on a motorcycle.  The guys wearing shorts and flip flops always make me laugh as well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Helmets = open casket funerals.
View Quote

I've watched people in full face helmets get up with a bit of a limp and a lot of foul language from accidents that would've had them in the ER or morgue without one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here. I smashed my head against the ground hard enough to crack an open-face Bell helmet along the seam. I wish I'd had my full-face helmet on, as my mother spent an hour in the E.R. Picking gravel out of one side of my face. The reason for the wait was that I was the fifth MVA that afternoon, and was the patient seen as least likely to croak while waiting for the doctors.

I detest helmet and seatbelt laws, but you're a moron if you don't use them. Stacking the odds in your favor while operating a motor vehicle is always a smart move, it just may not look as cool.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top