BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is about making money, not spending it, pay attention.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cars doing traffic stops should at the very least have a full size light bar on the roof.  

Not worth the cost anymore.

A light bar on the roof lets people know without question that the car behind them is actually a police car.  Inside headliner bars are not suitable substitutes.

Furthermore I question the total cost of ownership since a roof mounted lightbar can be put on a new body style with a couple of cheap brackets while headliner bars are much more specific to a body style limiting their ability to be reused.

This is about making money, not spending it, pay attention.

Kids need new braces.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Perhaps thats the case in their neck of the woods.

Or its selective enforcement.
View Quote

If they have so little traffic violations going on then perhaps they are doing enough or could actually cut back and save the taxpayer some money.

Or it's just tacticool.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If they have so little traffic violations going on then perhaps they are doing enough or could actually cut back and save the taxpayer some money.

Or it's just tacticool.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or it's just tacticool.  

No shortage of traffic violations on the turnpike or the GSP.

This just allows them to catch more idiots.

Disagree with it if you want.  I prefer it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No tinted front windows for the peasantry!
View Quote

Better to hide the fact that the officer is using the on-board pc and not paying attention to the road. Distracted driving for us = SOP for the law
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
*snip*
If it wasn't about revenue, cops around here would pull over people for other bad driving things, like tailgaiting.

It's never that.  It's ALWAYS speeding.  That's the only thing they care about.  They could give a fuck if someone is sitting in the left lane holding up traffic (against the law in CO).  They could give a fuck about people who cut others off.  They can't be bothered about that stuff.

SO yes, IMHO, it IS revenuing.  If it wasn't revenuing, the hwy would operate much smoother than it does, because these things that actually impact traffic flow would cease.  Speeding....not a huge problem unless it's 15+ over the limit.  Going too slow is just as dangerous.
View Quote

Interestingly, at least in Branch County Colorado, the fine for following too close is exactly the same ($125) as for 10 over the speed limit.  This leads to the question, is the hypothesis that speeding tickets generate more revenue correct?  I would posit that it is more likely that solid evidence from a radar or laser is much easier to prove in court than a subjective determination of "tailgating."  It may also be that departments and officers believe that speeding poses a greater threat to public safety than driving too slow in the left lane, and only have so much manpower and time in the day to work enforcement.

Nah, it's probably about the money...

Edit for spelling and punctuation
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Better to hide the fact that the officer is using the on-board pc and not paying attention to the road. Distracted driving for us = SOP for the law
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No tinted front windows for the peasantry!

Solitare dont win itself.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Say what you will about the CHP and CA traffic laws, it is still illegal here for an unmarked car to issue a traffic ticket.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess I just doesn't understand how if there's no shortage of violations then there's no reason, other than they saw some other agency with the tacticool paint job, to make a change that if anything makes things less safe for the citizens it's done.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I guess I just doesn't understand how if there's no shortage of violations then there's no reason, other than they saw some other agency with the tacticool paint job, to make a change that if anything makes things less safe for the citizens it's done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is your opinion.

/shrugs
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I hate this form of reactive policing...
View Quote

You mean "generating random tax revenues".

I'm all for it.
It keeps the dweebs from slamming on the brakes and driving 65 in a 70 for 5 miles after they see a cruiser.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If it wasn't about revenue, cops around here would pull over people for other bad driving things, like tailgaiting.

It's never that.  It's ALWAYS speeding.  That's the only thing they care about.  They could give a fuck if someone is sitting in the left lane holding up traffic (against the law in CO).  They could give a fuck about people who cut others off.  They can't be bothered about that stuff.

SO yes, IMHO, it IS revenuing.  If it wasn't revenuing, the hwy would operate much smoother than it does, because these things that actually impact traffic flow would cease.  Speeding....not a huge problem unless it's 15+ over the limit.  Going too slow is just as dangerous.
View Quote

If all the actions you listed are citable offenses with fines attached you can't make the argument that stopping someone for speeding but not the others is only about revenue - citing any of the actions generates revenue.  Granted the fines for each offense may be different - ie running a straight ahead red light is ~$200 vs the ~$490 for running a red left turn arrow.

Speeding is the most frequent observed offense IME.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to see this data that subdued marking on traffic enforcement vehicles makes the public less safe.  Can you please share your source?  I'm certain that a lot of risk-averse police admins would love to make an informed choice on this matter.  

Unless it was just based on fear of apprehension, feels, and/or looks scary...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or it's just tacticool.  

Traffic enforcement on the GSP and turnpike is like hunting over bait. There are 50 and 55 mph zones where if you're not going at least 5-10 over you'll be backing up traffic. The NJSP tend to just accept this though, they typically only pull over the egregious speeders like 20+ over. It's not uncommon at all to be going 10 over in the right lane and have people blow by going 80+ in the left lane.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
This is the kind of bullshit that turns a police force into a type of Police State. Why do police officers wear military uniforms, they are not on the battlefield, and the camouflage they wear does not blend in with the territory they work in. Police departments have turned into quasi military organizations, and that is not the kind of country I want to live in. I understand the job is getting more dangerous, but every day police officers wear a traditional uniform, they are recognizable as such, and they carry out their daily duties effectively. Understand that plain clothes officer's were once a luxury, but adapting with times made them blend in more with the civilian population so they could do their jobs better, and safer. Combat uniforms should not be used by police officers, no matter what job they perform. If they were to adapt the police uniform to fill varying roles more in a more effective manner, I'm fine with that. Ex: Riot gear uniforms, Nomex flight suits for pilots. Multicam, MARPAT, etc... are not their work attire, nor should it be.

Automobiles that are not used in undercover duties should be clearly marked, you shouldn't put a cherry on top, but this "ghost" marking is wrong, and will result in someone "running" because they think a fake cop is trying something. In fact it has happened before Google it. When a police officer shoots someone for using their vehicle as a missile, notice how the news always reports suspect fled hitting marked police vehicles. Using a "ghost" car could result in a criminal escaping justice because they were not marked. Google it, it has happened before. My 2 cents, you don't have to like it, read, or respond to it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Traffic enforcement on the GSP and turnpike is like hunting over bait. There are 50 and 55 mph zones where if you're not going at least 5 over you'll be backing up traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or it's just tacticool.  

Traffic enforcement on the GSP and turnpike is like hunting over bait. There are 50 and 55 mph zones where if you're not going at least 5 over you'll be backing up traffic.

Ok.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is the kind of bullshit that turns a police force into a type of Police State. Why do police officers wear military uniforms, they are not on the battlefield, and the camouflage they wear does not blend in with the territory they work in. Police departments have turned into quasi military organizations, and that is not the kind of country I want to live in. I understand the job is getting more dangerous, but every day police officers wear a traditional uniform, they are recognizable as such, and they carry out their daily duties effectively. Understand that plain clothes officer's were once a luxury, but adapting with times made them blend in more with the civilian population so they could do their jobs better, and safer. Combat uniforms should not be used by police officers, no matter what job they perform. If they were to adapt the police uniform to fill varying roles more in a more effective manner, I'm fine with that. Ex: Riot gear uniforms, Nomex flight suits for pilots. Multicam, MARPAT, etc... are not their work attire, nor should it be.

Automobiles that are not used in undercover duties should be clearly marked, you shouldn't put a cherry on top, but this "ghost" marking is wrong, and will result in someone "running" because they think a fake cop is trying something. In fact it has happened before Google it. When a police officer shoots someone for using their vehicle as a missile, notice how the news always reports suspect fled hitting marked police vehicles. Using a "ghost" car could result in a criminal escaping justice because they were not marked. Google it, it has happened before. My 2 cents, you don't have to like it, read, or respond to it.
View Quote

@ first part..cargo pockets!

Explain to me how you can tell the difference at night.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Christmas bonus!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it AIN'T about revenue

Christmas bonus!

Glad they can ever expand the fleet of vehicles and whatnot.

Meanwhile, PHX continues to have a shortfall of officers. Must need to write more tickets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Meanwhile, PHX continues to have a shortfall of officers. Must need to write more tickets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it AIN'T about revenue

Christmas bonus!

So, where is my cut?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

So if I understand this correctly: Because of the "militarization of police," you are pissed off that they are taking a less aggressive and visible posture?  Or is it that subdued marking is somehow akin to camouflage?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would love to see this data that subdued marking on traffic enforcement vehicles makes the public less safe.  Can you please share your source?  I'm certain that a lot of risk-averse police admins would love to make an informed choice on this matter.  

View Quote

Here's a FEMA paper on making emergency vehicles more identifiable to improve safety.  It stands to reason that less identifiable and visible then equals less safe.  There is also the old blue light bandits and it follows that moving one's looks more in their direction than an easily identifiable police vehicle's doesn't improve public safety.

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/fa_323.pdf
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

If police officers didn't go out of their way to look like a blue light bandit then even if the car that was being pulled over couldn't tell because there's a UFO parked in their rear view mirror then people driving by could quickly tell that they aren't seeing a traffic stop being performed by actual police officers and inform the real cops.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If police officers didn't go out of their way to look like a blue light bandit then even if the car that was being pulled over couldn't tell because there's a UFO parked in their rear view mirror then people driving by could quickly tell that they aren't seeing a traffic stop being performed by actual police officers and inform the real cops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, no way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So, no way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, no way.

/shrugs
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

/shrugs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, no way.

/shrugs

Yes it is.

If the residents dont like it, they can have it changed.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here's a FEMA paper on making emergency vehicles more identifiable to improve safety.  It stands to reason that less identifiable and visible then equals less safe.  There is also the old blue light bandits and it follows that moving one's looks more in their direction than an easily identifiable police vehicle's doesn't improve public safety.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While it is an interesting paper: the stated goal is "...positively affect the safety of emergency workers operating along the Nation's roadways...," which is to say to keep them from being hit while working accidents or emergencies on the roadway, and doesn't cover the topic of the safety of general public at all.  And while there have been cases of blue light bandits, there have also been cases of cloned marked vehicles.  I would say that this data is inconclusive at best.  In the cited fema paper, it actually indicated that for traffic enforcement vehicles, the recommendation for retro reflective marking was only for the back of the vehicle.  If that is what you are looking to accomplish, then I think that should have been stated.  Subdued and retro-reflective decals are not mutually exclusive.

Now, again if you have any hard data, I would love to see it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
While it is an interesting paper: the stated goal is "...positively affect the safety of emergency workers operating along the Nation's roadways...," which is to say to keep them from being hit while working accidents or emergencies on the roadway, and doesn't cover the topic of the safety of general public at all.  And while there have been cases of blue light bandits, there have also been cases of cloned marked vehicles.  I would say that this data is inconclusive at best.  In the cited fema paper, it actually indicated that for traffic enforcement vehicles, the recommendation for retro reflective marking was only for the back of the vehicle.  If that is what you are looking to accomplish, then I think that should have been stated.  Subdued and retro-reflective decals are not mutually exclusive.

View Quote

Fuck it.  Go out of your way to look like blue light bandits because it's cool and somehow even though there's admittedly no shortage of people breaking traffic laws you need to be able to sneak up on them better to catch them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fuck it.  Go out of your way to look like blue light bandits because it's cool and somehow even though there's admittedly no shortage of people breaking traffic laws you need to be able to sneak up on them better to catch them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just asking questions.  I'm not a traffic cop.  I don't have a dog in this fight except that some people would seem to want to drive public policy based on their feels and what may have happened but is certainly a statistical anomaly.  I think there are valid reasons for subdued traffic enforcement vehicles.  I asked for data supporting the opposing view which was so vociferously argued here...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Exactly, are the police so desperate to find crime that they have to conceal themselves. Rhetorical, for those in the "approve of" camp.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Exactly, are the police so desperate to find crime that they have to conceal themselves. Rhetorical, for those in the "approve of" camp.
View Quote

Are the haters so desperate to hate that they ignore the public safety benefit of force multipliers?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#30]
What all the whiners are overlooking.

People look for patterns, and outlines of Cars that are typically used for cruisers.

Ghost marked, are no different than the same car being unmarked. People will sniff them out as well as now.

Unless you have a crapload of cruisers running around with the Giant Bubble on top, sneaking a ghost or unmarked in the mix, isn't as stealthy.

FFS.
if MSP snuck a couple dozen ghosts in the mix around Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Pontiac, we would have a Billion dollar state surplus by Labor day.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Are the haters so desperate to hate that they ignore the public safety benefit of force multipliers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you just call a ninja ticket writing machine a force multiplier?

I think you've spent too much time in the arena.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am not a fan of unmarked traffic squads.

I don't like these either.

The whole purpose is to have visibility so people obey traffic laws without having to stop them.

The idea of using unmarked or "low profile" cars to enforce traffic is just counter productive. But that's my opinion and I'm not the decider. But I won't drive one.
View Quote

Hey...the state has go to make their money somehow.  Clearly taxes aren't enough so they write tickets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#33]
TN has you all beat.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone got spanked and didnt like it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.  The only painful sensation going on is me beating my head against the wall on this and stopping feels so damn good.  Plus it's not like I was planning on visiting Jersey anyways as I have no need to visit petrochemical plants or Guidos.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What all the whiners are overlooking.

People look for patterns, and outlines of Cars that are typically used for cruisers.

Ghost marked, are no different than the same car being unmarked. People will sniff them out as well as now.

Unless you have a crapload of cruisers running around with the Giant Bubble on top, sneaking a ghost or unmarked in the mix, isn't as stealthy.

FFS.
if MSP snuck a couple dozen ghosts in the mix around Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Pontiac, we would have a Billion dollar state surplus by Labor day.
View Quote

When I was commuting on I-75 ('99 - '00) there were a pair of unmarked Camaros -- one red, other blue -- that were pulling traffic stops around Troy.

Knowing they were out there gave me slight pause, but I still often broke 100 MPH through that stretch when I was on my bike :-)
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#37]

THAT is unusual... does the trooper need a CDL? ..or would he be exempted like Firefighters?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nope.  The only painful sensation going on is me beating my head against the wall on this and stopping feels so damn good.  Plus it's not like I was planning on visiting Jersey anyways as I have no need to visit petrochemical plants or Guidos.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You posted a study which had no bearing.

When someone says 'fuck it' then goes on a rant, it shows something.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I hate this form of reactive policing tax...
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

THAT is unusual... does the trooper need a CDL? ..or would he be exempted like Firefighters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No trailer no CDL needed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Exempted of course.

And they did it for seat belt tickets.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the kid in The Emperor's New Clothes expressed frustration at the situation as well.  

But I'm done with this thread.  You need the tacticool paint job for reasons that don't stand up to basic scrutiny even though it has at best no positive effect and quite likely some negative effects because of reasons.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Exempted of course.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exempted of course.

They do it now for texting tickets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And the kid in The Emperor's New Clothes expressed frustration at the situation as well.  

But I'm done with this thread.  You need the tacticool paint job for reasons that don't stand up to basic scrutiny even though it has at best no positive effect and quite likely some negative effects because of reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cya.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
You realize that basically every police uniform, in particular NJSP, are modeled on military uniforms, right?

Pre-ww2, Germany was a super hot commodity (not joking).

bonus pic omgwtfbbqlol militarized police

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Bring back the "bubble gum machines" dammit!!!!!  
View Quote

Not since the 60's for the NJSP.  PASP was still rocking them well into the 80's
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#48]
In the first hundred days of the Screechjet Administration, I'm going to turn New Jersey from a state into a federal territory and use it as a CALFEX MOUT town until it's fit for human habitation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Is it so odd to assume there is a benefit from drivers paying more attention to their surroundings and driving slower because they don't know if a stealthy police vehicle might be in the flow of traffic?

That seems so rational I can't believe some are disputing or arguing about it.

Unless the officers are making up the reason for the stop and then writing fictitious tickets...I don't get the angst.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Unmarked car, empty road, blue flashing light...

Is it a cop?

Is it a BG who just bought a blue light and wants to rob you?

It should be against the law for unmarked police cars to do routine traffic stops, also good luck if you call 911 if they know if the car behind you is a Cop, HP, Sheriff, etc... because those guys are well known for cooperating with each other and sharing information
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cars doing traffic stops should at the very least have a full size light bar on the roof.  

Not worth the cost anymore.

Not about cost..its about safety.

Unmarked car, empty road, blue flashing light...

Is it a cop?

Is it a BG who just bought a blue light and wants to rob you?

It should be against the law for unmarked police cars to do routine traffic stops, also good luck if you call 911 if they know if the car behind you is a Cop, HP, Sheriff, etc... because those guys are well known for cooperating with each other and sharing information

If he is not wearing camo but is wearing black then he is a cop according to the "should cops wear camo" thread.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top