I am very close to going Gault!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someday "we the people" will slap the government down.

Until the vast majority of the people actually care what is going on that day will never come.
The "People" didn't stop the Stazi and the DDR. It was the DDR suddenly and accidentally saying that unrestricted travel to West Germany was okay.  

We the people won't smack down shit.

You know why Rome failed? It wasnt the sacings or The endless insane puppet dictators backed by monied interest, or  endless conspiracies and civil war, it wasnt the poison water, it wasnt the plague, and it wasnt lack of food.

Rome failed because everyone decided to say fuck it and boogied.

What the pro civilization folks call the dark ages was nothing of the sort. People more or less just decided to decentralize because civilization was worse then simple subsistance living.

Then civilzation was reformed around Christianity.

In a country  with 200,000,000 adults,  half aint working or paying taxes, and over half dont vote. less then ten percent approve of our current system of governance.

Wont be long and the other half will just go Gault like the rest.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If by emulate you mean tore most of it down and turned it into something completely different, you might have a point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "People" didn't stop the Stazi and the DDR. It was the DDR suddenly and accidentally saying that unrestricted travel to West Germany was okay.  

You know why Rome failed? It wasnt the sacings or The endless insane puppet dictators backed by monied interest, or  endless conspiracies and civil war, it wasnt the poison water, it wasnt the plague, and it wasnt lack of food.

What the pro civilization folks call the dark ages was nothing of the sort. People more or less just decided to decentralize because civilization was worse then simple subsistance living.

In a country  with 200,000,000 adults,  half aint working or paying taxes, and over half dont vote. less then ten percent approve of our current system of governance.

There wasn't a voluntary decentralization, it was a forced collapse of the empire.  It couldn't hold together due to endless civil wars and all the other factors which led to its demise.  It wasn't but a few years after the Western Roman Empire officially fell that people were trying to rebuild it.  They kept trying to emulate it all the way through the medieval period.

If by emulate you mean tore most of it down and turned it into something completely different, you might have a point.

No, emulate as in try to re-establish it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Fixed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it.

I'm afraid of going Gout.  Seems painful.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it.

Says Gault on my computer??
I know gout all to well!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There wasn't a voluntary decentralization, it was a forced collapse of the empire.  It couldn't hold together due to endless civil wars and all the other factors which led to its demise.  It wasn't but a few years after the Western Roman Empire officially fell that people were trying to rebuild it.  They kept trying to emulate it all the way through the medieval period.

They tried to re establish civilization, not Roman civilization. No one wanted to cede their own soverignty to create a centralized empire. If anything they knowingly defaced and undermined all that Rome stood for in both the East and the West.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No other senators are in the chamber. I don't usually watch filibusterers, is this typical?
View Quote

There was a time not so long ago when it would have been filled with ordinary citizens.

Spent more than a few Summer afternoons in my teens sitting in the balconys of both houses
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They tried to re establish civilization, not Roman civilization. No one wanted to cede their own soverignty to create a centralized empire. If anything they knowingly defaced and undermined all that Rome stood for in both the East and the West.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they actively tried to reestablish the Roman Empire.  It was an amazing thing to them which held great psychological power.  They marveled at the ruins of engineering feats they couldn't hope to replicate and longed to go back to that.   Hell, Charlemagne called himself a Roman Emperor, and that was in the late 700s/early 800s.  Nearly 400 years after the Western Roman Empire had fallen.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I get that there is no bill to filibuster-I'm saying the bills to repeal the NFA will come later when the Republicans control all 3 branches.UYou know,along with all the other bills reducing spending and the size of government...............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish he'd filibuster to end the nfa.

So.. uh... what would he be filibustering?

Yeah well,once we get a Republican President to go with both Houses being Republican controlled,we will start seeing the end of the NFA,ATF,IRS,etc....,and the repeal of all gun laws as unConstitutional.

It will be morning in America!

No, I mean what bill does he want Rand to filibuster that would end the NFA.  Of course, I'm trying to figure out how stopping a bill would help end the NFA to being with.  

I get that there is no bill to filibuster-I'm saying the bills to repeal the NFA will come later when the Republicans control all 3 branches.UYou know,along with all the other bills reducing spending and the size of government...............

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, they actively tried to reestablish the Roman Empire.  It was an amazing thing to them which held great psychological power.  They marveled at the ruins of engineering feats they couldn't hope to replicate and longed to go back to that.   Hell, Charlemagne called himself a Roman Emperor, and that was in the late 700s/early 800s.  Nearly 400 years after the Western Roman Empire had falled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they actively tried to reestablish the Roman Empire.  It was an amazing thing to them which held great psychological power.  They marveled at the ruins of engineering feats they couldn't hope to replicate and longed to go back to that.   Hell, Charlemagne called himself a Roman Emperor, and that was in the late 700s/early 800s.  Nearly 400 years after the Western Roman Empire had falled.

Charles was about as roman as a monkey on a unicycle. the holy Roman empire was a farce. Niether Roman or an empire. Basically the guy created an extortion scheme for the pope, and thats all. Rome by comparison, stretched for thousands of miles and shared a culture, infrastructure, and all that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Patriot Act needs to die.  It will be interesting who among the freedom loving GOP votes to renew it.  

View Quote

99% will vote to renew it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#11]
So it'll have to pass tomorrow instead of today?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sadly, this.
Unfortunately the Republicans are divided on this one.
Even my favorite AR senator Tom Cotton is not standing with Rand on this one.
Seems like the constitutional conservatives are still in the minority, even in the GOP.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe.

Until then,it's a real edge of your seat nailbiter on if it passes!!!!

The suspense is killing me!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like this filibuster is about being allowed to offer amendments to the bill.  It sounds like leadership was going to try to push it through unamended and claim time constraints.  
View Quote

Pssst....

The Bill isn't even up yet.  This isn't actually a "filibuster" of anything, it's just a guy talking.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pssst....

The Bill isn't even up yet.  This isn't actually a "filibuster" of anything, it's just a guy talking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like this filibuster is about being allowed to offer amendments to the bill.  It sounds like leadership was going to try to push it through unamended and claim time constraints.  

Pssst....

Yeah, when I learned that I lost all interest. There's absolutely no point to this. At all. It is quite literally political theater.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

so, should I classify you as another stalker?

are you also one of the ones that are obsessed that this account is a troll account of a mod?

inquiring minds want to know

btw... if rand is talking, maybe he should be talking about why he got mcconnell to strong arm a bunch of republicans to cover for rand and the obamacare exemption for congress

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1746698_5_Republicans_on_Small_Business_Committee_Join_With_Democrats_to_Block_Obamacare_Subpoena.html

http://i57.tinypic.com/73o5r4.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before cm!

Stand with Rand!
Fuck the "patriot" act.

so, should I classify you as another stalker?

are you also one of the ones that are obsessed that this account is a troll account of a mod?

inquiring minds want to know

btw... if rand is talking, maybe he should be talking about why he got mcconnell to strong arm a bunch of republicans to cover for rand and the obamacare exemption for congress

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1746698_5_Republicans_on_Small_Business_Committee_Join_With_Democrats_to_Block_Obamacare_Subpoena.html

http://i57.tinypic.com/73o5r4.jpg

That's just how it works man.  When you're all ridiculous about something you just become "the guy that was ridiculous about x".  It doesn't even matter if you're right when you criticize after that, you're just feeding the legend.  Whatever arguments you make will be lessened by your having made them regardless of their validity or lack thereof.  The only way this works is if you're part of Rand Paul's campaign.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
GOOD!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
He should totally filibuster ISIS!

Then he should filibuster to get Hillary's email server!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah, when I learned that I lost all interest. There's absolutely no point to this. At all. It is quite literally political theater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pssst....

I don't know.  It makes perfect sense to me, but it is theatrical.  

They'll be taking a long weekend for Memorial Day.  If you want to get people riled up and contacting their Senators, now is the time.  Not next week, when the patriot act is scheduled.  It expires at the end of the month, and leadership is claiming that there isn't time for amendments and wants to limit debate. It is self defeating to filibuster next week.  That would put him in a situation where they claim that it is his own fault that there isn't time for debate.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because the Senate has no power over whether or not the PATRIOT Act gets renewed!

Just like those other things!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#21]
"They" have already gotten what they needed from the "Patriot Act".

All of the architecture is in place and will always be in use "Patriot Act" or no. Illegal spying will continue unabated regardless of the renewal processes outcome.

Their funding will be continued by this administration just like everything else.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Champion of freedom.

Those who authored the Patriot Act and those who voted for it should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of a crisis and using it to grab power for the government.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

He should filibuster the Chinese to turn over their copy of Hillary's email server.  Fuck, the 13 year old script kiddie down the block in Mom's basement with a Fawkes mask on probably has a copy he could get.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting.  I wonder what they are anticipating.

The Justice Department also said that if Congress allows the law to
expire and then passes legislation to reauthorize it when lawmakers
return to Washington the week of June 1, it would "be effective in
making the authorities operative again, but may expose the government to
some litigation risk in the event of legal challenge."
View Quote
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/paul-commandeers-senate-protest-patriot-225508381.html

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They'll be taking a long weekend for Memorial Day.  If you want to get people riled up and contacting their Senators, now is the time.  Not next week, when the patriot act is scheduled.  It expires at the end of the month, and leadership is claiming that there isn't time for amendments and wants to limit debate. It is self defeating to filibuster next week.  That would put him in a situation where they claim that it is his own fault that there isn't time for debate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pssst....

You said quite specifically that he was doing this so that he would be "allowed to offer amendments to the bill."

Please explain how his actions are allowing this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because the Senate has no power over whether or not the PATRIOT Act gets renewed!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a Bill that isn't up for consideration (in the woods), get fillibustered, did it really get filibustered?

His current "filibuster" has as much power in addressing the Patriot Act, as it does in making me a magic Milk Shake, or eliminating ISIS.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Gullible people are funny.  

This is going nowhere.  He knows this is going nowhere.  He is playing to a gullible audience that will lap this up.  

The law will pass and he will benefit from it passing while saying he tried to stop it.
View Quote

I hate to say it but you're right on target.

This "patriot act" is really going nowhere.

Lot of noise, no signal.  It's a damned shame.

Until our politicians get a really good scare they aren't going to pay attention.  It's just a bunch of fools masturbating at the altar of power and using the constitution as a for-after wipe.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You said quite specifically that he was doing this so that he would be "allowed to offer amendments to the bill."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pssst....

That is why HE said he was doing it.  He said they have been preparing amendments for almost a year and now leadership intends to bypass the process.  

I imagine his actions are designed to raise awareness -> increased constituent pressure -> forcing a full debate and amendment process.  

It's theatrical, it isn't a true filibuster, and it probably won't work, but at least some people are trying.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is why HE said he was doing it.  He said they have been preparing amendments for almost a year and now leadership intends to bypass the process.  

I imagine his actions are designed to raise awareness -> increased constituent pressure -> forcing a full debate and amendment process.  

It's theatrical, it isn't a true filibuster, and it probably won't work, but at least some people are trying.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trying?   His dad use to "try" to cut spending by adding pork to Bills and then voting against the Bill, fully confident it would pass.

That's not trying, that's exploiting your gullible constituents and donors.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#30]
For every hour he stays up a bald eagle gets its wings!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm taking back my "good".
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I was against the Patriot Act before it was enacted.

Giving the government a carte blanche all in the name of fighting terrorism.  

Many dumbasses supported it in the post 9/11 emotion.

I warned that despite your intentions for it - you won't like it when the Dems take over.

It will be used to monitor US citizens for political advantage.

Do you even 4th Amendment bro?

FBHO.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish he'd filibuster to end the nfa.

So.. uh... what would he be filibustering?

Yeah well,once we get a Republican President to go with both Houses being Republican controlled,we will start seeing the end of the NFA,ATF,IRS,etc....,and the repeal of all gun laws as unConstitutional.

It will be morning in America!

No, I mean what bill does he want Rand to filibuster that would end the NFA.  Of course, I'm trying to figure out how stopping a bill would help end the NFA to being with.  

Just like they did during much of W's presidency, when the had majorities in both houses of congress, and held the executive.

...ah, the golden years.    

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#34]
He's still going?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Trying?   His dad use to "try" to cut spending by adding pork to Bills and then voting against the Bill, fully confident it would pass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

He's still going?
View Quote
Yep

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#37]
A large group of senators wants to keep the Patriot act but would like to "limit the NSA's bulk collection of data, but would still allow authorities to search individual's records.  The House just passed a bill called, dah dah DAHHHh

...The USA Freedom Act (talk about political theater, the bullshit names legislators come up with for their bullshit bills really takes the cake)

It's coming to the Senate.  If it passes, then the Patriot Act will pass.  If it fails then Senators will be forced to either extend the Patriot Act as is...or let it expire.  Rand is filibustering this vote.  

....chess not checkers...

If the "USA Freedom Act" passes the senate the Patriot Act vote won't matter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Now correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't Rand support Obama's super secret trade bill?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

A large group of senators wants to keep the Patriot act but would like to "limit the NSA's bulk collection of data, but would still allow authorities to search individual's records.  The House just passed a bill called, dah dah DAHHHh

...The USA Freedom Act (talk about political theater, the bullshit names legislators come up with for their bullshit bills really takes the cake)

It's coming to the Senate.  If it passes, then the Patriot Act will pass.  If it fails then Senators will be forced to either extend the Patriot Act as is...or let it expire.  Rand is filibustering this vote.  

View Quote

I thought they didn't have the votes for the "Freedom" Act yet?

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Here is  link to his petition.

http://randpaul.com/f/stop-spying-now?sr=519fb1
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may not.  But I think it has a pretty good chance.  Politically, with the mood of the country, no one wants to vote to extend the Patriot Act as is.   The USA Freedom Act is the perfect whitewash, it pretty much leaves it in place, BUT they can say they did something.  ...which of course is bullshit.

Rand doesn't want the USA Freedom Act to pass the senate for this reason.  He'd rather force the senate to vote to extend the Patriot Act as is ...He wants to take away the BS whitewash in the hopes they won't have the political stomach to pass the extension.  If he succeeds with the USA Freedom Act, he can always filibuster the Patriot Act itself.    

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No, they actively tried to reestablish the Roman Empire.  It was an amazing thing to them which held great psychological power.  They marveled at the ruins of engineering feats they couldn't hope to replicate and longed to go back to that.   Hell, Charlemagne called himself a Roman Emperor, and that was in the late 700s/early 800s.  Nearly 400 years after the Western Roman Empire had fallen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kaiser & Tzar literally meant Caesar!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In before cm!

Stand with Rand!
Fuck the "patriot" act.
View Quote

ETA: After I see its theater
Why do I keep wanting to believe anyone gives a shit
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pssst....

That's not true.

The USA Freedom Act is a de facto Patriot Act vote.  McConnell announced on Tuesday he'd let it come up for a vote.  

It allows the Senate to do what the House just did.  Pass it and say they did "something", which is bs.  Rand doesn't want the senate to have a nice neat easy out.   Of course he'd rather the vote not come up at all, but taking away their "easy out" it's going to force senators to either vote to extend the Patriot Act or let it expire.

Given the mood of the country, they may not have the stomach for it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, it's one of those "everything that guy I don't like does is purely for show" protests then.
Gotcha.  Everything Paul does is for show, and you are a much more effective defender of freedom than that fakir.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In before cm!

Stand with Rand!
Fuck the "patriot" act.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Is that Spence from King of Queens?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Don't be surprised to see him making full use of the renewed Act if that happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope we can call him POTUS next election.

Don't be surprised to see him making full use of the renewed Act if that happens.

Politicians be politicking.

The Patriot Act is political gold.  "Who can we blame it on this term?"
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nah.  Rand Paul is providing a little political circus to assuage the rubes, just as he endorsed McConnell.  It's all just politics.  In the end, the Patriot Act will move forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So Rand is going to get good ol Mitchy's panties in a huge knot again!

Nah.  Rand Paul is providing a little political circus to assuage the rubes, just as he endorsed McConnell.  It's all just politics.  In the end, the Patriot Act will move forward.

Agree, Rand Paul is bought and paid for by Uncle Mitchie.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cant tell if you are being sarcastic....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So Rand is going to get good ol Mitchy's panties in a huge knot again!

Unfortunately you're right.  The really sad part is that even if the patriot act somehow got obliterated there's no way in hell they'll stop doing whatever they want to anyway in secret.  Who's going to tell the government to stop breaking the law anyway?

Why do I keep getting my hopes up? You are most likely correct.

Cant tell if you are being sarcastic....

No sarcasm. I hope Rand or someone like him would win POTUS . But I also believe it is probably no longer possible anymore.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top