User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

that's an easy thing to say, but not so easy to accomplish, especially in science.  imagine teaching your child to shoot in that fashion, or telling a drill instructor that his job is to teach young soldiers how to learn instead of how to recite everything.  it's good to teach him how to learn from different resources, but there are a lot of elements that need to be directly instructed and drilled, because those represent the foundation for all future learning. reading is a trivial but fundamental example of this--you can 'help a child learn' to read on his own, or you can sit down and teach him phonics.  the latter will have far better results, and will benefit all his future learning endeavors.

why is it hotter in the summer and colder in the winter?  when i teach this particular concept in earth science, the young college students in my lab have already read it in the textbook, and read it in the lab manual.  but many of them are still confused, even the bright ones.  after all that reading and confusion on their part, it normally takes me about 3 minutes with a flashlight and a white board to get the idea across.  the most common response from students is "oh, that was easier than i thought".  go look up any mathematical theorem (say, the central limit theorem) on wiki, and ask yourself honestly how long it would take you to "learn that on your own".  my quantitative analysis professor got our heads around the CLT in 45 minutes.

IMO, the single most important piece of language in a teacher's vocabulary is "it's kind of like this...", followed by a metaphor.  analogy is how our brain functions--we look at a new thing, and immediately start comparing it with already-familiar things to try to find similarities.  the best role of a teacher is to clarify the basic concepts, and to help the student make connections that he wouldn't have made on his own.  

so i agree that it's not a teacher's job to know everything.  but the teacher has to have enough of a grasp on the subject matter to start creating analogies.  if the teacher lacks this grasp, dumping all the responsibility back on the student is a cop-out--an abdication of the teacher's responsibility.  the solution is to find a teacher that is equipped to instruct the material.

this is where programs like the one i mentioned are invaluable for the homeschooler.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
just please, please don't short them on science.  my university has a really good program that supports lab science for homeschoolers.  i talk to the lab teachers, and they say it's frightening how little these kids know about even the most basic stuff.  evidently, a lot of parents can recite the information, but don't understand it enough to really teach it--to help the kids understand.

apparently, homeschoolers are better off in math, which was a surprise to me.

The way it was explained to my wife is it's not her job to know everything and recite the information to my son like public school. Her job is to teach him how to learn it himself and help him foster the skills that make him able to teach himself from information provided.

There's a book. Let's learn how to learn from it. Not remember these things and repeat them back on test day so we don't lose funding.

that's an easy thing to say, but not so easy to accomplish, especially in science.  imagine teaching your child to shoot in that fashion, or telling a drill instructor that his job is to teach young soldiers how to learn instead of how to recite everything.  it's good to teach him how to learn from different resources, but there are a lot of elements that need to be directly instructed and drilled, because those represent the foundation for all future learning. reading is a trivial but fundamental example of this--you can 'help a child learn' to read on his own, or you can sit down and teach him phonics.  the latter will have far better results, and will benefit all his future learning endeavors.

why is it hotter in the summer and colder in the winter?  when i teach this particular concept in earth science, the young college students in my lab have already read it in the textbook, and read it in the lab manual.  but many of them are still confused, even the bright ones.  after all that reading and confusion on their part, it normally takes me about 3 minutes with a flashlight and a white board to get the idea across.  the most common response from students is "oh, that was easier than i thought".  go look up any mathematical theorem (say, the central limit theorem) on wiki, and ask yourself honestly how long it would take you to "learn that on your own".  my quantitative analysis professor got our heads around the CLT in 45 minutes.

IMO, the single most important piece of language in a teacher's vocabulary is "it's kind of like this...", followed by a metaphor.  analogy is how our brain functions--we look at a new thing, and immediately start comparing it with already-familiar things to try to find similarities.  the best role of a teacher is to clarify the basic concepts, and to help the student make connections that he wouldn't have made on his own.  

so i agree that it's not a teacher's job to know everything.  but the teacher has to have enough of a grasp on the subject matter to start creating analogies.  if the teacher lacks this grasp, dumping all the responsibility back on the student is a cop-out--an abdication of the teacher's responsibility.  the solution is to find a teacher that is equipped to instruct the material.

this is where programs like the one i mentioned are invaluable for the homeschooler.

I'm not saying you were wrong, just that's the way it was explained to me. It was my wife's primary concern going in. What she lacks in knowledge she more than makes up for in caring and trying whatever it takes to get hm educated the best way possible..

We're in still in kindergarten so we'll cross that bridge when it comes but I will definitely take it into consideration when we get there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm not saying you were wrong, just that's the way it was explained to me. It was my wife's primary concern going in. What she lacks in knowledge she more than makes up for in caring and trying whatever it takes to get hm educated the best way possible..

We're in still in kindergarten so we'll cross that bridge when it comes but I will definitely take it into consideration when we get there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

most important characteristic right there.  you can't teach 'want to'.  it's something teachers either have or they don't.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Good move OP.  I know some public schools are still pretty good, but home schooling is much better than letting your kids suffer in a bad one.

1. Curriculum - there are several that are good.  I think the best one is BEKA, out of Pensacola FL - it is Christian based, if you don't mind that, but it is top notch.  I would look at the DVD course.  It is great for really smart kids.  When my sister did the high school parts, it was fun for me (in pre med at the time) to sit and watch with her.  Good content.  I don't know any kids that have completed it that have had any trouble with college.  We have lots of kids locally that use it.   Bob Jones University - another Christian one is very good.  I don't think they are as hard core as BEKA but their educational standard is not low.  We had 6 folks out of my med school class that graduated from Bob Jones and none of them failed med school (our class dropped from 86 to 68 over the 4 years but none were the Bob Jones kids).  

2.  Extras - languages can always be taught with Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone or smiliar.  Typing with an online typing tutor.  

3.  Out of School - keep your kids involved in good stuff out of school.  Our church has a lot of good kids that do stuff with our kids.  Field trips are great to education site - like study the Civil War or War for Independence and go see a battlefield to reinforce it for them.   Learn about WWII and go see the Alabama or Yorktown for a fun trip.  

A great part of home schooling is that you can find your kid's strengths and shape the schooling toward that.  Sure, they all need to be able to do the basics like read, write, math, but after that they can start to learn other things that they are good at too.  

Best wishes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

most important characteristic right there.  you can't teach 'want to'.  it's something teachers either have or they don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.  You/your wife may have to "re-learn" a few things along with teaching your children, but there is no substitute for love, desire and motivation.  No one has more of that for your kids than you two.  And if you stick with it, it will make a HUGE difference in the quality of your life and your children's' in 15-20 years....
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
just please, please don't short them on science.  my university has a really good program that supports lab science for homeschoolers.  i talk to the lab teachers, and they say it's frightening how little these kids know about even the most basic stuff.  evidently, a lot of parents can recite the information, but don't understand it enough to really teach it--to help the kids understand.

The way it was explained to my wife is it's not her job to know everything and recite the information to my son like public school. Her job is to teach him how to learn it himself and help him foster the skills that make him able to teach himself from information provided.

There's a book. Let's learn how to learn from it. Not remember these things and repeat them back on test day so we don't lose funding.

Thank you for exposing so many things that are wrong with these approaches.  You know who was enforcing safety, the firing line, and how our plinking was conducted when I was a wee lad?

There I was, out in the desert, with my physicist/aerospace engineer father, and we know how well theoretical physicists interact with the current space-time continuum. So little 8yr-old LRRP had to man-up and make sure we had some type of control of the firing line, sectors of fire, lanes, cease fire commands, whatever I used for going hot, etc.  I honestly don't know where I learned it, but I remember recognizing a need, and making sure it got done.  I had been an avid reader of American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo since the 1970's, getting my grandpa's back issues every time we had our Sunday visits with grandma and grandpa.  Maybe I picked up a few things from the old curmudgeons who authored articles in those rags, to include shooting accidents?  Who knows.  

The point is, I didn't need to be drilled or directly instructed over and over by some taskmaster in a prison cell.  I figured it out.

I'm also glad you brought up the example of drill sergeants.  This schooling, not teaching method, is exactly what is wrong with basic training, and why units that get the leash taken off after determining they have disciplined and motivated volunteers conduct training in about as opposite a manner as possible compared to drill sergeant modules at basic.

Case in point, and this will sound like BS to some, but I beat one of my Drill Sergeants at disassembly and reassembly of the M16A2 rifle in the 2nd week of Infantry OSUT at Fort Benning in January of 1994, A Co 1-50th Infantry, 2nd Platoon-Terminators.  He had been in the Army as an 11M for at least 11 years in Germany and like almost all the other DS's, was a Gulf War Vet.  I was a new private who read the -10 a lot as a kid, and was basically familiar with the AR15 from shooting it in adolescence.  He had disassembled and reassembled the M16A2 easily hundreds of times more than me at that point.  In a raw competition for time, I beat him by at least 10 seconds in both procedures.

If being instructed and drilled are tenets of all our future learning, we're doomed to rely on someone else to do that instructing, and we'll be beat by the next smart alec to come along.  Learning comes from within, not schooling or drilling from a task master.

The phonics method you reference for teaching a child how to read is one of the worst possible approaches, because it focuses on an abstract system of sounds we have learned to form words with, that kids don't understand.  We retard their growth by teaching phonics, because the attention is now placed on the alphabet, and not reading.  Through hundreds of thousands of case studies dating back to the 1950's, teaching words first has been proven as a meteorically superior approach to learning to read.

All your references show the mentality of a subjugated serf, who has been schooled and drilled into the least possible track of existence, never realizing your true potential.  You need rehabilitation in a bad way.  It's not your fault.  We were all born into this abortion of a suppressive drilling system, and some of us refused to be broken by it, while others were taught to be the guards and wardens.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is where the co-ops and others with experience - older kids can greatly help you out.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They should give vouchers for parents that opt their children out of public school for private school or homeschooling  equal to the amount it would cost for them to be educated in public school.

This would serve two purposes,  help parents pay for other than public schools, and force public schools to compete with private which should lead to improved public education.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What sucks is that you will still be paying for the government school and the home school curriculum.

I pay about $3500 for my grand daughter to go to a little Christian school and it's worth every dime of it.  I know that's a very low rate for a private school but it chaps my ass that I still have to pay for the public schools too.

They should give vouchers for parents that opt their children out of public school for private school or homeschooling  equal to the amount it would cost for them to be educated in public school.

This would serve two purposes,  help parents pay for other than public schools, and force public schools to compete with private which should lead to improved public education.

When a kid leaves the .gov school, the school loses some money. A good chunk, I believe.
The local principal gets pissed when kids are pulled out of his school. That money probably goes to the GLBT studies department.
I wish the money would revert back to the kid who left.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd wager that is more a function of a lower student to teacher ratio (i.e. 1-4 kids (students) to 1 mom/dad (teacher)) than homeschooled kids being inherently smarter or better at academic endeavors. Plenty of research has shown that students perform better the lower the instructor/student ratio is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never attended public school.

I was educated at private religous schools and dealt with plenty of homeschoolers. Most of them were religious and would homeschool until either high school (when they were sent off to boarding school) or until college.

I never met a homeschooler who wasn't far above everyone else academically. Like multiple real college classes taken in high school (Calculus, Anatomy, etc..). 4.0 GPA (4 out of 4) in college pre-med, etc.. Really sharp guys. I think all of the ones I knew are now medical doctors.

I also never met one that was socially well adjusted. I graduated high school with a guy who engaged by the time he was 12 years old and spent his entire time in high school either studying or exercising. Dude brought a calculus book on the class trip and spent the entire trip either doing math problems or doing pushups. And he wasn't even close to the craziest homeschooler I dealt with.

I'm sure there are some that come out fine, but I've never met one of those.
I'd wager that is more a function of a lower student to teacher ratio (i.e. 1-4 kids (students) to 1 mom/dad (teacher)) than homeschooled kids being inherently smarter or better at academic endeavors. Plenty of research has shown that students perform better the lower the instructor/student ratio is.

Actually no. Lower ration lets private schools charge more and other schools brag. There's a very broad range of student to teacher ratios that produce an acceptable level of education.
People have heard "the lower the ratio, the better" for so long, they believe it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As someone that was home schooled through high school, I can a agree with this. It really does put you at a disadvantage  in the real world. When an employer  asks you where you went to high school and you tell them they just give you a weird look. As a matter of fact everyone looks at you that way, almost as if there is something wrong with you. When I got involved in real estate a lot of investors looked at me like they were trying to figure out what was wrong with me. One guy was even shocked that someone that was home schooled was capable of putting deals together and making money. Keep in mind I don't bring it up unless asked about where I went to school. Really  wish I could get my parents thrown in the crazy house and my younger brother and sister taken away from them but getting  the .gov involved never helps anything. I hated every minute  of it.

Op you will put your kids at a disadvantage whether you realize it or not . Just make sure they're  okay with people looking at them like they're  retards or fuck ups the rest of their lives.

If only my mom would  have never met that nut job friend of hers and my dad would have actually  had a pair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as the whole social thing, my daughter plays softball year around with different travel teams. My son and I race ATVs all around the country and meet new people and make new friends all the time, I own a auto repair shop and they both help out around there, so they are around new people every day. That argument is invalid for us.

I hope your children are as well adjusted as you think they are, and don't have all the typical problems parents always refuse to see.

Spending 8-12 hours a day with other kids has a much different impact on development of social skills than spending a 2 hours a day with other kids.

Unfortunately we live in the real world, and that real world is a combination of credentials and social skills. That awkward kid that went to MIT is not going to get hired over the charmer who you can relate to, who talked to you about that last baseball game in the interview, that just happened to go to some 2nd tier school.

Where social development falls is really perspective, and very likely the perspective evaluating your kid will be from someone who went to a public school and is socially pretty "average".

It's not that kid will become "weird" or a shut in or anything like that, its that they will lag behind in developing core communication and social skills, like BSing, small talk, asking girls out on a date, giving a compliment, receiving criticism and acting appropriately, etc. It doesn't always happen to everyone, but homeschooling certainly drastically ups the odds that your kid will struggle. Book smarts wont get you far if you can't walk out of the house with pants on.

You might think your kid turns out fine, but it is highly unlikely they will same normal to peers their age if they do not have similar interactions to children their age for a large portion of the day. I encourage you to research this topic. The findings are typically home schooled kids are better at academics and worse at relating to people and interacting with others, and like it or not, that is a very serious trade off that has potential life long implications.

As someone that was home schooled through high school, I can a agree with this. It really does put you at a disadvantage  in the real world. When an employer  asks you where you went to high school and you tell them they just give you a weird look. As a matter of fact everyone looks at you that way, almost as if there is something wrong with you. When I got involved in real estate a lot of investors looked at me like they were trying to figure out what was wrong with me. One guy was even shocked that someone that was home schooled was capable of putting deals together and making money. Keep in mind I don't bring it up unless asked about where I went to school. Really  wish I could get my parents thrown in the crazy house and my younger brother and sister taken away from them but getting  the .gov involved never helps anything. I hated every minute  of it.

Op you will put your kids at a disadvantage whether you realize it or not . Just make sure they're  okay with people looking at them like they're  retards or fuck ups the rest of their lives.

If only my mom would  have never met that nut job friend of hers and my dad would have actually  had a pair.

You've got issues that go beyond being home schooled.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

FIFY.  Home schooling sounds great but it's a LOT of work IF DONE PROPERLY.

Most GOOD teachers that I know claim that it takes 3 to 4 hours of prep for every one hour that they teach.  If you teach the same thing year after year, that's manageable but if if you have to teach a new grade every year such as when home schooling then it's impossible!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope you're a good teacher [red]and have nothing else to do but teach, prepare lessons, test your kid, etc[ and that you're smarter than he is! /red]. Good luck OP.

FIFY.  Home schooling sounds great but it's a LOT of work IF DONE PROPERLY.

Most GOOD teachers that I know claim that it takes 3 to 4 hours of prep for every one hour that they teach.  If you teach the same thing year after year, that's manageable but if if you have to teach a new grade every year such as when home schooling then it's impossible!

Your GOOD teachers are like anyone else. They want to make their jobs seem hard to do.
What degree is easier than teaching? Social Worker?
Spare time is my biggest challenge. At 9 and 11, my kids are pretty independent. They frequently knock out lessons before I'm out of bed.
We test them just as the local .gov schools test and even another test our state doesn't use (Louisiana does not want to look for trouble   ). They test higher than normal.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually no. Lower ration lets private schools charge more and other schools brag. There's a very broad range of student to teacher ratios that produce an acceptable level of education schooling.
People have heard "the lower the ratio, the better" for so long, they believe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never attended public school.

I was educated at private religous schools and dealt with plenty of homeschoolers. Most of them were religious and would homeschool until either high school (when they were sent off to boarding school) or until college.

I never met a homeschooler who wasn't far above everyone else academically. Like multiple real college classes taken in high school (Calculus, Anatomy, etc..). 4.0 GPA (4 out of 4) in college pre-med, etc.. Really sharp guys. I think all of the ones I knew are now medical doctors.

I also never met one that was socially well adjusted. I graduated high school with a guy who engaged by the time he was 12 years old and spent his entire time in high school either studying or exercising. Dude brought a calculus book on the class trip and spent the entire trip either doing math problems or doing pushups. And he wasn't even close to the craziest homeschooler I dealt with.

I'm sure there are some that come out fine, but I've never met one of those.

Actually no. Lower ration lets private schools charge more and other schools brag. There's a very broad range of student to teacher ratios that produce an acceptable level of education schooling.

Not that I support the school approach to dumbing down masses, but Finland has very high student-to-teacher ratios.  They are slipping lately though in PISA, not that this matters one bit to me.

Education and schooling are so far apart from each other, that it just isn't funny anymore.  I feel like over 12 years of my life was stolen from me in many ways, since I would have learned so much more with very minimal tutoring from my parents and other scholars, and plenty of personal time to pursue my interests.

Looking at warden-to-prisoner ratios disguised as teacher-to-student misses the fact that you are supporting a prison system, and not a true education.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't get so uptight sparky.  You home school, good for you that you feel that home schooling is best for your family.  What works for one family may not work for another.

I went to public school and I'm fine...and my wife went to a Catholic school and she's fine as well.  This is BS "please continue to believe that the only good parents are the ones who turn their children over for someone else to raise." even though you have your opinion.  You can think what you want, but you really need to get off of your soapbox, sparky.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Don't get so uptight sparky.  You home school, good for you that you feel that home schooling is best for your family.  What works for one family may not work for another.

I went to public school and I'm fine...and my wife went to a Catholic school and she's fine as well.  This is BS "please continue to believe that the only good parents are the ones who turn their children over for someone else to raise." even though you have your opinion.  You can think what you want, but you really need to get off of your soapbox, sparky.

You made the comparison that others are claiming their children are so smart and then turned around and basically made that claim for yourself

Quoted:
My friend's wife has a teaching degree and she home schools her kids.  No offense to my friend, but his kids are dumb as rocks, so home schooling isn't helping them and their social skills are lacking.

Then conveniently refused to address my question of what exactly makes you determine that their social skills are lacking.  They very well may be lacking, but depending on your standard I may consider that a good thing.  And on the off chance you are in fact correct.  Who is to say that they would be any smarter if they were in government schools?

My children would very likely be considered unsocialized by a lot on this board.  My children don't fawn over the latest boy bands or popular movies,  But they can actually hold an adult level conversation with more then one word answers.  they don't have the MP3 player stuck in their ears ignoring everyone while they go thru their "depressed" stage.  their conversations do not consists of numerous, "like" "and" "ohmygawd" and any other number of one word conversations children have today.

And you can deny it all you want.  But turning children over to government schools is in fact turning them over for someone else to raise.  Sorry for the painful truth but there it is.  Don't get me wrong.  I get that for some they simply don't have a choice.  but a lot of parents have determined that their toys or their social status takes priority over their children.  How do I know?  in 21 years of marriage my wife has never worked outside the home.  I am far from rich on any scale one would choose to look at.  My truck is 21 years old, my wife's truck is 15 years old.  We don't have the latest gadgets or go to the movies or any number of other things people "have" to do today.

You can tell me to get off my high horse all you want.  but you may want to consider stepping down from yours.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top