BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#1]
H
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you try to duplicate curriculum and basically everything that is wrong with public-schooling, you're going to have a difficult time in many ways, but at least you aren't subjecting your children to the unqualified supervision and behavioral training from strangers.

If you break away from the idea that there is anything of real merit with the way schools are structured, and wipe the slate clean, conduct an analysis of your challenge, use the scientific method to approach and tackle your true education system, you'll do really well.

Most easy things are not worth having.  The funny thing about education is that it can be really fun when done efficiently and optimally for your children, each of whom have a totally different set of interests and outlooks on life and how they see themselves pursuing their own goals.

Teach your child to read by age 2 or 3, as well as math and language, then watch what happens as you continue to facilitate their growth.

There is so much more out there in this world than those silly prisons near your neighborhood where criminal acts are committed every day to millions of our fellow men who are in their early stages of development, only to be squashed by a really bad system of behavioral conditioning, and virtually no learning at all.  In this generation, we are witnessing new lows in the devolution of our English language, forget about a classical education where you learned multiple foreign tongues, often starting with Latin and Greek.

All the teachers who had a classical education are dead or retired, and we now have the children of the baby boomers running the asylums, distracted by their smartphones, while this current generation doesn't even know how to respect a speaker at an event and pay attention. Union dues and public funds are spent propping up the retirees with more money than the active employees, many of whom are do-nothings in administration, sitting in buildings separate from the prison locations.

We can do so much better than this folks, it isn't even funny anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a self employed IT guy who's worked with a lot of parents who are home schooling.  Done right it's wonderful, but it's incredibly time consuming and expensive to do it right.

This isn't like sitting down with you kid and helping with homework, it's like becoming a full fledged school system for one.  It's not as easy as it sounds.

If you try to duplicate curriculum and basically everything that is wrong with public-schooling, you're going to have a difficult time in many ways, but at least you aren't subjecting your children to the unqualified supervision and behavioral training from strangers.

If you break away from the idea that there is anything of real merit with the way schools are structured, and wipe the slate clean, conduct an analysis of your challenge, use the scientific method to approach and tackle your true education system, you'll do really well.

Most easy things are not worth having.  The funny thing about education is that it can be really fun when done efficiently and optimally for your children, each of whom have a totally different set of interests and outlooks on life and how they see themselves pursuing their own goals.

Teach your child to read by age 2 or 3, as well as math and language, then watch what happens as you continue to facilitate their growth.

There is so much more out there in this world than those silly prisons near your neighborhood where criminal acts are committed every day to millions of our fellow men who are in their early stages of development, only to be squashed by a really bad system of behavioral conditioning, and virtually no learning at all.  In this generation, we are witnessing new lows in the devolution of our English language, forget about a classical education where you learned multiple foreign tongues, often starting with Latin and Greek.

All the teachers who had a classical education are dead or retired, and we now have the children of the baby boomers running the asylums, distracted by their smartphones, while this current generation doesn't even know how to respect a speaker at an event and pay attention. Union dues and public funds are spent propping up the retirees with more money than the active employees, many of whom are do-nothings in administration, sitting in buildings separate from the prison locations.

We can do so much better than this folks, it isn't even funny anymore.

Great post, thank you. The "no child left behind" BS is part of the problem. All they do is dumb down the smart kids so the kids that don't care or try don't look bad. They can't even teach little trayvon the English language, how are they gonna teach him French?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
just please, please don't short them on science.  my university has a really good program that supports lab science for homeschoolers.  i talk to the lab teachers, and they say it's frightening how little these kids know about even the most basic stuff.  evidently, a lot of parents can recite the information, but don't understand it enough to really teach it--to help the kids understand.

apparently, homeschoolers are better off in math, which was a surprise to me.

anyway, make sure to check out universities in your area, to see if they offer similar resources.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#3]
We home school, found a wide variety of good quality curriculum options.  Our local home school COOP has been a good resource...I would start there and ask for advice of parents with kids a little older than yours...if you have time after reading all the great advice here on GD!  Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#4]
There is so much more out there in this world than those silly prisons near your neighborhood where criminal acts are committed every day to millions of our fellow men who are in their early stages of development, only to be squashed by a really bad system of behavioral conditioning, and virtually no learning at all. In this generation, we are witnessing new lows in the devolution of our English language, forget about a classical education where you learned multiple foreign tongues, often starting with Latin and Greek.

View Quote

Best summation of today's educational system ever - if I had grandkids they would not go to a public school. And we haven't even seen the start of the influence of all the illegals on the system. The schools will basically become ESL centers to insure the success of the non English speaking kids.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Did y'all home school?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish everyone would pull their kids out of public school

My kids are so much better adults by not being tainted by the cesspool

Did y'all home school?
Yep all my kids except my 2nd oldest he went to high school for three

Years for JROTC
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the most successful charter schools are the ones that were operating as private schools before the charter program.

Sounds to me like your local public schools decided to camouflage the fact that they are a public school by calling itself a "Charter School".

There is a reason the teachers unions go apeshit over charter schools.  Most of them do do a much better job of educating kids than the public schools. In Indiana, we have had several "scandals" where the schools lost their charters. That's life--part of the learning curve. Not everyone is cut out to run a school and there are the various scam artists working the angle.

It takes time to build from the ground up on a concept like this.

TC
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#7]
If I can come up with a plan to be self employed by the time I have children in school, I'll do the same. I don't want the government brainwashing my offspring, I've seen the retards that come out of the public school system these days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP ignore all of the ignorant "home schoolers are un-socialized" garbage being spewed.

14 years home schooling 1 in college and another possibly starting next year with 4 more coming thru the ranks.

the unsocialized lie is spread and spread.  you keep seeing the vague references to why a child needs to go to public school in order to "fit in"  A complete load of bull.  The fact is there is not a single important thing that a child needs to learn that can "only" be learned in a government school environment.  Any one whose says otherwise is either a liar or a fool.

I am sure there is not a single socially awkward child in any government school whatsoever.

I have also found that when home shoolers are referenced as un-socialized, what the accuser really means is that the home schooler is not a follower of popular culture, they don't fawn over the latest boy band or hold hours long conversations about the latest vampire love story.

It amazes me still how we as a group generally distrust everything government does, but we trust them with our most prized possesions

we believe everything the government touches they screw up, get wrong, waste all kinds of money, yet we think they get teaching our children right

We scream from the rooftops all we will do to protect our children and then willingly turn around and send them to a place with little to no real security

We get all excited and talk constantly about our coming child and then as soon as is possible we dump them off in day care putting the responsibility of raisng them in the hands of others.

we belly ache about the FSA and then turn right around and tell those who have taken 100% responibility for their children that they are the bad parents

just look at the repsonse in your thread and you will see what I have said is true.
View Quote

Well, to be fair, when I went to college I was missing some social skill sets that I would have picked up in public school, but I was able to pick up the useful ones pretty quickly once I started.  The fact that I was working full time as I went to college probably helped me avoid the less useful ones that led so many of my classmates to party their behinds off all the time and fail to learn much of anything.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Theses was a great meme on the web that had a series of pictures captioned "autistic or home schooled"  that basically called out introverted and unsocialized kids which is what home school gets you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Theses was a great meme on the web that had a series of pictures captioned "autistic or home schooled"  that basically called out introverted and unsocialized kids which is what home school gets you.
View Quote

M'kay
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That's what I want to know as well!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, a charter school is worse than a government school?

Dude, they're the same thing, except Charter schools have more fucked up staffs.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What sucks is that you will still be paying for the government school and the home school curriculum.

I pay about $3500 for my grand daughter to go to a little Christian school and it's worth every dime of it.  I know that's a very low rate for a private school but it chaps my ass that I still have to pay for the public schools too.
View Quote

They should give vouchers for parents that opt their children out of public school for private school or homeschooling  equal to the amount it would cost for them to be educated in public school.

This would serve two purposes,  help parents pay for other than public schools, and force public schools to compete with private which should lead to improved public education.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#13]
YEAH!!!

You sir, have made the choice that your kids are more valuable than your possessions. You have also made the most effective statement that you can make to your local school board; you're sick of their shit and you're not going to take it anymore.

The average public school gets over $10k/yr in federal funds for each pupil. YOU just took $10k per year per child out of their budget. One kid isn't a lot, but 100 homeschooled kids is $1 MILLION out of the school's annual budget, and THAT is a kick in the nutz by anyone's definition.

We homeschooled our son from the 5th grade through graduation. He is now a Junior in a state university and he is carrying a 3.58 overall GPA in a solid major.

Don't let naysayers sway you on this one. If I had a dollar for every time one of our "friends" said, "Oh, you're so lucky you can make it on only one income" I would have enough money to send my kid to Harvard. It's not that we make any more money than other people. It's just that we loved our kid more than we loved our material possessions.

YOU CAN DO THIS. Fell free to IM me with any questions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#14]
So how do home schooled kids get laid at the prom?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP ignore all of the ignorant "home schoolers are un-socialized" garbage being spewed.

14 years home schooling 1 in college and another possibly starting next year with 4 more coming thru the ranks.

the unsocialized lie is spread and spread.  you keep seeing the vague references to why a child needs to go to public school in order to "fit in"  A complete load of bull.  The fact is there is not a single important thing that a child needs to learn that can "only" be learned in a government school environment.  Any one whose says otherwise is either a liar or a fool.

I am sure there is not a single socially awkward child in any government school whatsoever.

I have also found that when home shoolers are referenced as un-socialized, what the accuser really means is that the home schooler is not a follower of popular culture, they don't fawn over the latest boy band or hold hours long conversations about the latest vampire love story.

It amazes me still how we as a group generally distrust everything government does, but we trust them with our most prized possesions

we believe everything the government touches they screw up, get wrong, waste all kinds of money, yet we think they get teaching our children right

We scream from the rooftops all we will do to protect our children and then willingly turn around and send them to a place with little to no real security

We get all excited and talk constantly about our coming child and then as soon as is possible we dump them off in day care putting the responsibility of raisng them in the hands of others.

we belly ache about the FSA and then turn right around and tell those who have taken 100% responibility for their children that they are the bad parents

just look at the repsonse in your thread and you will see what I have said is true.
View Quote

This. Exactly this.

When my wife and I married, we were libertarians. A decade later we both consider ourselves anarchists. Sending our kids to a public school is not an option.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So how do home schooled kids get laid at the prom?
View Quote

Here you go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Good luck with that...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to teach in public schools.  I now teach in a small private school.  It is not a charter school.

I taught in Title 1 schools, affluent schools, and those in between.

Title 1:  Day care for thugs.

Affluent:  Day care for spoiled snowflakes.

In between:  Day care for those in between.

The upside to the affluent schools is that you didn't have to worry about the State tests.  They were easy enough that even mediocre education would ensure that enough students passed.  Downside was that these kids were just as lazy as any of them.

I never recommend teaching as a career and I sure don't have any faith left in public schools.

At my school we have 30 minute classes four times a week.  I teach algebra and psychology.  I can accomplish 3X what I used to in two hours as I did in 10 hours.  I have zero discipline problems.  Kids have homework every night and a test every 5 days.  Don't pass?  Summer school or you are not allowed to re-enroll.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP is a Liberal Democrat

How dare they improve the Schools with Charters.....I'm pulling my kids out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You gotta love that one, ONE teacher did that and all of the sudden this clown is calling out another guy's wife like he knows what type of teacher she is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't try and cover that crap up and say it's not like that. When my daughter came home with an A+ on her spelling test in the first grade and 30% of her words were misspelled, I asked the teacher, "How can a child get an A+ when she misspells words like "CAT" and spells it "KAT"? Her answer was "Oh those are her temporary words. We discourage failure and there fore, she will learn them in the 2nd grade"

It's not just like that here. Its the public school education system in NY, CT, TX and other states as well. This is from other parents, not just me.

Have taught elementary grades K-4 in 6-7 districts in 4 different states.  Never heard anything even remotely like that in my professional life.  Graded thousands of spelling tests, kid misses a word they miss a word.  Pretty sure the 100 other teachers I have worked with did the same.

You gotta love that one, ONE teacher did that and all of the sudden this clown is calling out another guy's wife like he knows what type of teacher she is.

Utah, haha.  Reading comprehension is not for mormons!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good Parenting > Bad Schooling
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: I did not discuss, so here we go. Good on you for taking responsibility for the training of your own children. Too many people hand this responsibility over to bureaucrats, then wonder why their kids are turning out the way they're turning out.

Good Parenting > Bad Schooling

Indeed. So I have to ask you, why not eliminate altogether bad schooling from your children's lives and instead subject them to good parenting all day long?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep all my kids except my 2nd oldest he went to high school for three   Years for JROTC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish everyone would pull their kids out of public school

My kids are so much better adults by not being tainted by the cesspool

Did y'all home school?

Yep all my kids except my 2nd oldest he went to high school for three   Years for JROTC

That is awesome. Funny how we can do more than others tell us we can do or even than we might think we can do, isn't it?

Of course, no need to tell a Ranger that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Say no to common core.

Ron Paul has a home school program.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Do Connections Academy for a while. when you figure out what you want to do, either stick with them or go on your own.
Fist thing that came up.

I can't imagine sending my kids to the zoo for the government to raise....
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As far as the whole social thing, my daughter plays softball year around with different travel teams. My son and I race ATVs all around the country and meet new people and make new friends all the time, I own a auto repair shop and they both help out around there, so they are around new people every day. That argument is invalid for us.
View Quote

As a future home school parent, rule number one: don't address any statements or questions about your kids possible problems with socialization.
It's a waste of time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The governent can't do ANYTHING right or efficient.  They have the midas touch with feces instead of gold.  They will not ever educate my daughter.  Priorities O.P.....you have them.
Butt hurt Disclaimer- there are good teachers within the public school system who give their very soul to teach.  As a whole the public school system is still an abysmal failure.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#28]
We homeschooled our two kids. Our daughter is finishing up her 4 yr BS degree and our son just got promoted to Sgt after 3 yrs in the Army.

For a curriculum, look up your states guidlines on subjects that have to be taught, then have the kids first assignment be to come up with their own lesson plan (with your guidance).

Our philosophy was to teach them how to learn first, then just keep them between the ditches. After that it became a challenge to keep up with the kids.

Socialization is just including them in your daily interactions with people. unsocialized kids are a reflection of their parents.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm paying $5k/year for elementary catholic school. It's decent. I looked up the cost of catholic high school. $13,500/year!

Our public schools are shit, 56% graduation rate. At what point do you tell the government they've fucked away too much money for crappy results. I'm saying I want a rebate for paying for private school.
View Quote
Wow, sounds like your problem is living in a really ghetto low-income neighborhood. I suggest you and/or your wife pick up a second job or work some OT for added income and move to the middle class suburbs where graduation rates usually are in the high 90% range.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a Load of pure garbage.  You have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I never attended public school.

I was educated at private religous schools and dealt with plenty of homeschoolers. Most of them were religious and would homeschool until either high school (when they were sent off to boarding school) or until college.

I never met a homeschooler who wasn't far above everyone else academically. Like multiple real college classes taken in high school (Calculus, Anatomy, etc..). 4.0 GPA (4 out of 4) in college pre-med, etc.. Really sharp guys. I think all of the ones I knew are now medical doctors.

I also never met one that was socially well adjusted. I graduated high school with a guy who engaged by the time he was 12 years old and spent his entire time in high school either studying or exercising. Dude brought a calculus book on the class trip and spent the entire trip either doing math problems or doing pushups. And he wasn't even close to the craziest homeschooler I dealt with.

I'm sure there are some that come out fine, but I've never met one of those.
View Quote
I'd wager that is more a function of a lower student to teacher ratio (i.e. 1-4 kids (students) to 1 mom/dad (teacher)) than homeschooled kids being inherently smarter or better at academic endeavors. Plenty of research has shown that students perform better the lower the instructor/student ratio is.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

From my experience charter schools don't have any better teachers, teaching and curriculum than public schools. The only difference is that better more involved parents think those schools are better so they have their kids go there. In fact, in my school district our charter schools get the teachers that don't get hired by the school district. It's funny how that happens but yet the parents think it's a better school because it has the word academy in its name.
View Quote
This. You can see occasional (although infrequent) examples/stories of kids from low-income ghetto schools who excel academically because they have parents that are a) there for them, and b) participate in their kids' academic life. But sadly those households are the exceptions, and few and far between.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You know a lot of people go to college for seven years
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

7 years?

You know a lot of people go to college for seven years
They are called doctors.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I used to teach in public schools.  I now teach in a small private school.  It is not a charter school.

The upside to the affluent schools is that you didn't have to worry about the State tests.  They were easy enough that even mediocre education would ensure that enough students passed.  Downside was that these kids were just as lazy as any of them.

I never recommend teaching as a career and I sure don't have any faith left in public schools.

At my school we have 30 minute classes four times a week.  I teach algebra and psychology.  I can accomplish 3X what I used to in two hours as I did in 10 hours. I have zero discipline problems.  Kids have homework every night and a test every 5 days.  Don't pass?  Summer school or you are not allowed to re-enroll.

View Quote
Maybe that is because kids with behavioral issues (ADHD, autism, downs syndrome, etc.) by and large aren't allowed in private schools (or are rapidly kicked out once their behavior issues surface), and the public schools get stuck with them and by law have to provide them services/education. If I operated a private school and could discriminate on who could attend I too would select the cream of the crop. Wouldn't mean my staff/program/students are inherently better, just that my school wouldn't have to deal with a littany of issues that public schools must manage.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I hope your children are as well adjusted as you think they are, and don't have all the typical problems parents always refuse to see.

Spending 8-12 hours a day with other kids has a much different impact on development of social skills than spending a 2 hours a day with other kids.

Unfortunately we live in the real world, and that real world is a combination of credentials and social skills. That awkward kid that went to MIT is not going to get hired over the charmer who you can relate to, who talked to you about that last baseball game in the interview, that just happened to go to some 2nd tier school.

Where social development falls is really perspective, and very likely the perspective evaluating your kid will be from someone who went to a public school and is socially pretty "average".

It's not that kid will become "weird" or a shut in or anything like that, its that they will lag behind in developing core communication and social skills, like BSing, small talk, asking girls out on a date, giving a compliment, receiving criticism and acting appropriately, etc. It doesn't always happen to everyone, but homeschooling certainly drastically ups the odds that your kid will struggle. Book smarts wont get you far if you can't walk out of the house with pants on.

You might think your kid turns out fine, but it is highly unlikely they will same normal to peers their age if they do not have similar interactions to children their age for a large portion of the day. I encourage you to research this topic. The findings are typically home schooled kids are better at academics and worse at relating to people and interacting with others, and like it or not, that is a very serious trade off that has potential life long implications.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as the whole social thing, my daughter plays softball year around with different travel teams. My son and I race ATVs all around the country and meet new people and make new friends all the time, I own a auto repair shop and they both help out around there, so they are around new people every day. That argument is invalid for us.

I hope your children are as well adjusted as you think they are, and don't have all the typical problems parents always refuse to see.

Spending 8-12 hours a day with other kids has a much different impact on development of social skills than spending a 2 hours a day with other kids.

Unfortunately we live in the real world, and that real world is a combination of credentials and social skills. That awkward kid that went to MIT is not going to get hired over the charmer who you can relate to, who talked to you about that last baseball game in the interview, that just happened to go to some 2nd tier school.

Where social development falls is really perspective, and very likely the perspective evaluating your kid will be from someone who went to a public school and is socially pretty "average".

It's not that kid will become "weird" or a shut in or anything like that, its that they will lag behind in developing core communication and social skills, like BSing, small talk, asking girls out on a date, giving a compliment, receiving criticism and acting appropriately, etc. It doesn't always happen to everyone, but homeschooling certainly drastically ups the odds that your kid will struggle. Book smarts wont get you far if you can't walk out of the house with pants on.

You might think your kid turns out fine, but it is highly unlikely they will same normal to peers their age if they do not have similar interactions to children their age for a large portion of the day. I encourage you to research this topic. The findings are typically home schooled kids are better at academics and worse at relating to people and interacting with others, and like it or not, that is a very serious trade off that has potential life long implications.

As someone that was home schooled through high school, I can a agree with this. It really does put you at a disadvantage  in the real world. When an employer  asks you where you went to high school and you tell them they just give you a weird look. As a matter of fact everyone looks at you that way, almost as if there is something wrong with you. When I got involved in real estate a lot of investors looked at me like they were trying to figure out what was wrong with me. One guy was even shocked that someone that was home schooled was capable of putting deals together and making money. Keep in mind I don't bring it up unless asked about where I went to school. Really  wish I could get my parents thrown in the crazy house and my younger brother and sister taken away from them but getting  the .gov involved never helps anything. I hated every minute  of it.

Op you will put your kids at a disadvantage whether you realize it or not . Just make sure they're  okay with people looking at them like they're  retards or fuck ups the rest of their lives.

If only my mom would  have never met that nut job friend of hers and my dad would have actually  had a pair.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#37]
OP, you are making a good decision.

I was homeschooled all the way through high school. My parents graduated college with BS degrees in Food Science.

My dad was raised on a farm. My mom's father was an Architect.

When I was growing up, my dad did construction and my mom stayed at home with me and my brothers.

I am 30 now, graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering with no student loans. All my schooling was paid for with scholarships and internships. I am an engineer for a steel company, and I have my PE license.  I own my own company making firearms, and own a small machine shop for that.

My older brother is one of the top programmers in his chosen area, and has worked for some of the largest tech companies in the world.

My younger brother is a Materials Engineer.

All three of us had less than 3 years of "formal" schooling before going to college.

I know that the one thing that made the biggest difference with us was our parents' decision that we were worth the effort to teach.  I learned from my dad on the job site, I learned from my mom at home. We learned from outside teachers that were part of the homeschool co-op we were a part of.

You are doing the right thing. And it will make a world of difference to your kids. Give them the chance to go as high as they can, not be held back by a system that believes that everyone should learn the same things, the same way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dude, they're the same thing, except Charter schools have more fucked up staffs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's anecdotal, but so far, what I'm seeing from charter schools is not impressing me in the slightest.

There's a charter school in my old neighborhood run by Turks that has slowly had the faculty become mostly Turkish nationals.  The students complain of an overweight gym teacher who tells them they are killing themselves by eating the same foods that make his gut grow.  Nothing really in the way of history, geography, math, science, and immersive foreign languages is being taught.

Another charter school near me has a faculty who don't impress me either.  The obese school counselor openly talked to me about how she can't be in the sun because of all her psychotropic medications, and the other teachers were absolutely clueless about general topics of geography, history, or current events.  

My impression, and this is just what I'm seeing from my perspective, is that somebody recognized the coming wave of people pulling their kids out of government schooling, and created a stop-gap called charter schools, where all the magic will happen.  There isn't a big difference between them, from what I can see.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The governent can't do ANYTHING right or efficient.  They have the midas touch with feces instead of gold.  They will not ever educate my daughter.  Priorities O.P.....you have them.
Butt hurt Disclaimer- there are good teachers within the public school system who give their very soul to teach.  As a whole the public school system is still an abysmal failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

Snip

I used to think this as well, until I started looking at the history of public education.  It is a resounding success, and has accomplished exactly what it was intended to do, at least according to the founders.

John Dewey and the Decline of American Literacy

In creating his Laboratory School, Dewey had to devise a curriculum that would produce little socialists and collectivists. In order to do so he analyzed the traditional curriculum that sustained the capitalist, individualistic system and found what he believed was the sustaining linchpin — that is, the key element that held the entire system together: high literacy.

To Dewey, the greatest obstacle to socialism was the private mind that seeks knowledge in order to exercise it s own private judgment and intellectual authority. High literacy gave the individual the means to seek knowledge independently. It gave individuals the means to stand on their own two feet and think for themselves. This was detrimental to the “social spirit” needed to bring about a collectivist society. Dewey wrote in Democracy and Education, published in 1916 (p. 297):

When knowledge is regarded as originating and developing within an individual, the ties which bind the mental life of one to that of his fellows are ignored and denied.

When the social quality of individualized mental operations is denied, it becomes a problem to find connections which will unite an individual with his fellows. Moral individualism is set up by the conscious separation of different centers of life.  It has its roots in the notion that the consciousness of each person is wholly private, a self-inclosed continent, intrinsically independent of the ideas, wishes, purposes of everybody else.

And he wrote in School and Society in 1899:

The tragic weakness of the present school is that it endeavors to prepare future members of the social order in a medium in which the conditions of the social spirit are eminently wanting. . . .

The mere absorbing of facts and truths is so exclusively individual an affair that it tends very naturally to pass into selfishness.  There is no obvious social motive for the acquirement of merely learning, there is no clear social gain in success thereat.

Study the history of Progressive Education, and what we're seeing will all make sense to you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I hope you're a good teacher [red]and have nothing else to do but teach, prepare lessons, test your kid, etc[ and that you're smarter than he is! /red]. Good luck OP.
View Quote

FIFY.  Home schooling sounds great but it's a LOT of work IF DONE PROPERLY.

Most GOOD teachers that I know claim that it takes 3 to 4 hours of prep for every one hour that they teach.  If you teach the same thing year after year, that's manageable but if if you have to teach a new grade every year such as when home schooling then it's impossible!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on what their charter is...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry for your kids luck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

At my school we have 30 minute classes four times a week.  I teach algebra and psychology.  I can accomplish 3X what I used to in two hours as I did in 10 hours. I have zero discipline problems.  Kids have homework every night and a test every 5 days.  Don't pass?  Summer school or you are not allowed to re-enroll.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My wife's experience exactly!

Quoted:Maybe that is because kids with behavioral issues (ADHD, autism, downs syndrome, etc.) by and large aren't allowed in private schools (or are rapidly kicked out once their behavior issues surface), and the public schools get stuck with them and by law have to provide them services/education. If I operated a private school and could discriminate on who could attend I too would select the cream of the crop. Wouldn't mean my staff/program/students are inherently better, just that my school wouldn't have to deal with a littany of issues that public schools must manage.

My wife now teaches at a home-school co-op that uses a classical school model — they don't deny enrollment to ANY students. She has had both autistic & ADHD kids (one twice, he didn't promote) but is still far more productive in her classroom setting because the parents are so heavily involved — don't leave it up to the school to teach, people!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  My kids are enrolled in MICA, a charter school, have a teacher, meet and interact (online videoconference) with their class, and learn from home at a somewhat flexible pace.  There is FAR more parental involvement with this style of schooling than traditional public schools.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Dude, charter schools are good.

Know how I know?  CTU went on strike for 2 two weeks over the Chicago's expansion of charter school funding and shuttering of public schools.

Why?  Why, accountability, performance-based pay, and higer scoring students of course!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top