Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a sthil weed eater and blower and they have been great, no problems.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure how close you are to Curry, but there's a mom and pop place that's a Husqvarna dealer. Great prices and you can get their real model. Not the shit at the box stores.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
crap I need that exact setup. I would never stop watching that. I'd just sit in a chair with drink and laugh until i couldn't walk.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Stihl.
View Quote

It's uncanny how the FPNI thing always seems to work out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Stihl.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:05:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Which one of the Stihl Kombi motors would I really need for a lot that is just 1/2 - 3/4 acre?
I like the Kombi idea because of the blower and tree trimmer option.
Don't know if I would be justified buying the commercial model over the homeowner one.
Also, which one is more likely to have parts that I can find ten years from now?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Stihl FS90 that works great around my house - plenty of power for my application and not too heavy.

In fact, I now have quite a few Stihl tools laying around.  They're fun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Shindaiwa 242
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]
i just picked up a fs94r. will last you forever and very light weight. runs clean and will idle all day long. easy to start as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You did say awesome.  Not efficient.

http://youtu.be/PskR5Q-OfxA
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems like you get what you pay for, but get a straight-shaft commercial model.

My Echo is at least 28 years old.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Stihl FS 90
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#13]
i have a honda.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/trimmers
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure how close you are to Curry, but there's a mom and pop place that's a Husqvarna dealer. Great prices and you can get their real model. Not the shit at the box stores.
View Quote

I'm willing to drive.

I'm in Blount Co
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#15]
My 25 year old commercial ECHO still starts first pull. Bet I've used it over a thousand times. Pull cord and fuel lines replaced about 10 years ago. New plug and engine tuner(decarbonizer) about every 5 years.

Damn things are indestructible. Just bought a new one for up at the fishcamp.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

thats called sex trafficking in your area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon rents goats in certain areas.

They don't in my AO. I thought about starting a goat rental business.

I'd rent one.

It's only illegal if you get caught.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Which one of the Stihl Kombi motors would I really need for a lot that is just 1/2 - 3/4 acre?
I like the Kombi idea because of the blower and tree trimmer option.
Don't know if I would be justified buying the commercial model over the homeowner one.
Also, which one is more likely to have parts that I can find ten years from now?
View Quote

You can run the adjustable hedge trimmer thing (for sure since I have it), and probably several of the other options on the non-Kombi whips, I have the FS90.  Basically toss the kombi top part of the accessory and just unbolt the 2 star drive bolts for the whip head and slide on the accessory.  Takes about 30 seconds to put it on.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#19]
My Dad bought a Stihl last year. I've used it a few times when I've been over and helped him with the yard. Beats the piss out of the 4 stroke Troy Bilt he 'gifted' me after he got the Stihl
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Which one of you stopped me in Lowes about a month ago and ranted about the weedeater I had in my cart and raved about Stihl for 10 minutes?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I was in this position 2 years ago.  I would have loved to get the Stihl, but it was twice my budget.

I needed a tiller attachment, and for me to get a string trimmer plus tiller, it was going to cost $600 for Stihl or $300 for Husqvarna.

I went with the Husky...and after 2 years, it's as good as it was new.  I assume it will fall apart next year if arfcom is right.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Get a Black and decker pecker wrecker.

And let your wife do it.  Mine loves it.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#24]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I love my new Echo weed eater...SRM 225 is the model if I remember right. $199 at Home Depot.  Lots of power...starts right up, runs like a champ!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tired of burning out and replacing shitty ones.

Don't care if it's 2 or 4 cycle - if you prefer one over the other, I'd be interested in hearing why.

I spray poison for most of the trimming around the fences and house, but there is a lot of ditches that need loving too.

I love my new Echo weed eater...SRM 225 is the model if I remember right. $199 at Home Depot.  Lots of power...starts right up, runs like a champ!!

That is the one I have had for (I think) 3 years now.  It is great and has never failed to start in the spring on one pull.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Stihl, but I'm a little biased. All my power stuff is Stihl
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tired of burning out and replacing shitty ones.

Don't care if it's 2 or 4 cycle - if you prefer one over the other, I'd be interested in hearing why.

I spray poison for most of the trimming around the fences and house, but there is a lot of ditches that need loving too.

That's the one I have.  Very fuel efficient, and eats FAR bigger stuff than I thought it would.  It's a little tiring trimming two one-acre plots of fence line on both sides.  But I wasn't going to spend the $$$ for a chest rig model.  (And the exercise is good for my fat ass anyway.)

I think it's a great choice for the residential once-a-week guy.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#28]
We recently purchased a new home on some acreage.  Our previous home, on a small subdivision lot, made due with "chemical weedeater" for fence and around the house, and a small $50 used Murray push mower.  Limb clearing was done with a WalMart "Poulan Pro" 18" chainsaw, and an electric Remington pole saw.

I've now got several acres to clear brush/mow/cut trees, etc.  The above tools aren't going to cut it.  I looked at a lot of new stuff, but it was 1) expensive, and 2) I'm not a 4 stroke (or 4-Mix, for stihl) fan.  The reviews on the 4Mix are...well...mixed.  It seems like throttle control is more binary on the 4mix (screaming, or idle), and any way you cut it, there are valves to adjust.  So, I wanted to stick with 2 stroke.

Growing up, I used my dad's Husky 50R brush trimmer, and his Stihl 028 Super to clear brush, cut trees, etc with him.  Those items are almost 30 years old, and have had a TON of use.  The Husky is out of comission due to cracked fuel tank that can't be found, and I finally managed to kill the chainsaw.  Husky would still be in business if I could fab up a fuel tank, and 30 years out of a chainsaw, without a single dealer visit, is pretty good.  So, I learned the value of the professional line of tools.  ETA:  028 is only temporarily out of commission.  I've got a new jug and piston waiting for it.  30 years old, easily available parts.  Another + for pro equipment.

Except for the price tag, that is.  So, I decided to buy used pro-class stuff, for the same price (or less) than new consumer grade stuff.  In the past month or so, I've picked up a pair of Stilh FS250 (1 bicycle bar, 1 hoop handle), pair of Stihl 028 (1 super, 1 non), Tanaka TBC230SF trimmer w/ pole saw and edger attachment.  All commercial stuff, all used.  The FS250s were kind of tricky, as they're now out of production, and in high demand.  I ended up having to drive several hours each way for both of those.  I also purchased a non-running Stihl FS55 (needs carb work), and a running FS45 for the wife and son to use (light weight).  The FS45 seems to run fine, but it's definitely "weak" compared to the Takana and big 250s.  I'll probably put the good running 45 powerhead on the 55 straight shaft.  I consider the 45 and 55 to be consumer models.  Even with the 'big names', you can still get consumer models of their stuff, so be aware of that.

The previous owner left a Craftsman LT1000 riding mower for us, which works good.  I recently picked up a running (and pretty nice) JD 316 riding mower (free), as well as a Troy Built bagging push mower (free).  316 needs $7 worth of deck springs.  TroyBuilt needed a $3 pull rope, started first pull. I think that 30 year old JD will still be solid and working, long after the Craftsman has fallen apart.

Long story short, if you are on a budget, I'd highly recommend buying used professional quality stuff, vs new homeowner class stuff.  I could have purchased a new "Poulan Pro" trimmer/pole saw combo for $190.  I'd been using one that I borrowed from my uncle, until I acquired my own stuff.  The Poulan Pro was poorly carbed, low on power, and buzzed so badly it made my hand go numb.  It worked, but was a PITA.  Compared to the Stihl FS80 my dad was using...is was like comparing a Yugo to a Crown Vic.  Just a far more pleasant experience with the Stihl.  I feel I overpaid for the Tanaka, but for $200 I got a professional quality machine, better attachments (has pole saw, which I was hunting for), it has more power, and it's -pleasant- to use.  Started on first pull, too.  IMO, that was the better move vs buying the "new" Poulan Pro model.  

The professional stuff is usually more durable (dual bearing/fully supported crank, vs single bearing/only 1 side supported on consumer grade stuff, dual piston ring Pro, vs single piston ring consumer, etc), and easier to repair/find parts for.  Regarding brand, I don't really think you can go wrong with professional offerings from Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Tanaka, Shindaiwa, etc.  

ETA:  The FS250 is a BEAST.  When clearing with the Poulan Pro and dad's FS80 (both blade equipped), we stopped cutting stuff that was 2" or so in diameter.  I was going to come back to that stuff with a chainsaw.  When I finished up with the blade (and handlebar) equipped FS250, I knocked down all that stuff that had been left...and went up in size to 6", even 8" trees.  Probably doesn't make sense at that point, as the blade couldn't get all the way through, but the FS250 sure cut it just fine!  I love that thing!  It doesn't sip the gas, though...it gulps it.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I purchased a Stihl FS90R this past Saturday to replace my homeowner model FC45.  I used it for 4 hours that afternoon.  So far so good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Stihl.
View Quote

When my husquavarna dies that's what i'm getting
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazon rents goats in certain areas.

They don't in my AO. I thought about starting a goat rental business.

I'd rent one.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm tired of replacing the string every other time I run mine. Do any of you guys use heads with blades or something else other than string?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I have an Echo SRM-230 that I'm happy with.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I have had a Stihl FS90 for several years and it has been great!
After years of the crappy 1-2 season homeowner stuff this thing stars every year and runs great!
Also have a Stihl blower and hedge trimmer and they are the same way.
Get's my vote!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Stihl FS90R.

I owned a Poulan that killed itself after the second year. I'm on year 3 or 4 with the Sithl and it continues to runslike a champ.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I got a refurb Husq 128LD for VMinnovations a while back when they were having a big sale. Current price is $147, and if you like them on FB I think you get a $20 coupon.

It runs great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We recently purchased a new home on some acreage.  Our previous home, on a small subdivision lot, made due with "chemical weedeater" for fence and around the house, and a small $50 used Murray push mower.  Limb clearing was done with a WalMart "Poulan Pro" 18" chainsaw, and an electric Remington pole saw.

I've now got several acres to clear brush/mow/cut trees, etc.  The above tools aren't going to cut it.  I looked at a lot of new stuff, but it was 1) expensive, and 2) I'm not a 4 stroke (or 4-Mix, for stihl) fan.  The reviews on the 4Mix are...well...mixed.  It seems like throttle control is more binary on the 4mix (screaming, or idle), and any way you cut it, there are valves to adjust.  So, I wanted to stick with 2 stroke.

Growing up, I used my dad's Husky 50R brush trimmer, and his Stihl 028 Super to clear brush, cut trees, etc with him.  Those items are almost 30 years old, and have had a TON of use.  The Husky is out of comission due to cracked fuel tank that can't be found, and I finally managed to kill the chainsaw.  Husky would still be in business if I could fab up a fuel tank, and 30 years out of a chainsaw, without a single dealer visit, is pretty good.  So, I learned the value of the professional line of tools.  ETA:  028 is only temporarily out of commission.  I've got a new jug and piston waiting for it.  30 years old, easily available parts.  Another + for pro equipment.

Except for the price tag, that is.  So, I decided to buy used pro-class stuff, for the same price (or less) than new consumer grade stuff.  In the past month or so, I've picked up a pair of Stilh FS250 (1 bicycle bar, 1 hoop handle), pair of Stihl 028 (1 super, 1 non), Tanaka TBC230SF trimmer w/ pole saw and edger attachment.  All commercial stuff, all used.  The FS250s were kind of tricky, as they're now out of production, and in high demand.  I ended up having to drive several hours each way for both of those.  I also purchased a non-running Stihl FS55 (needs carb work), and a running FS45 for the wife and son to use (light weight).  The FS45 seems to run fine, but it's definitely "weak" compared to the Takana and big 250s.  I'll probably put the good running 45 powerhead on the 55 straight shaft.  I consider the 45 and 55 to be consumer models.  Even with the 'big names', you can still get consumer models of their stuff, so be aware of that.

The previous owner left a Craftsman LT1000 riding mower for us, which works good.  I recently picked up a running (and pretty nice) JD 316 riding mower (free), as well as a Troy Built bagging push mower (free).  316 needs $7 worth of deck springs.  TroyBuilt needed a $3 pull rope, started first pull. I think that 30 year old JD will still be solid and working, long after the Craftsman has fallen apart.

Long story short, if you are on a budget, I'd highly recommend buying used professional quality stuff, vs new homeowner class stuff.  I could have purchased a new "Poulan Pro" trimmer/pole saw combo for $190.  I'd been using one that I borrowed from my uncle, until I acquired my own stuff.  The Poulan Pro was poorly carbed, low on power, and buzzed so badly it made my hand go numb.  It worked, but was a PITA.  Compared to the Stihl FS80 my dad was using...is was like comparing a Yugo to a Crown Vic.  Just a far more pleasant experience with the Stihl.  I feel I overpaid for the Tanaka, but for $200 I got a professional quality machine, better attachments (has pole saw, which I was hunting for), it has more power, and it's -pleasant- to use.  Started on first pull, too.  IMO, that was the better move vs buying the "new" Poulan Pro model.  

The professional stuff is usually more durable (dual bearing/fully supported crank, vs single bearing/only 1 side supported on consumer grade stuff, dual piston ring Pro, vs single piston ring consumer, etc), and easier to repair/find parts for.  Regarding brand, I don't really think you can go wrong with professional offerings from Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Tanaka, Shindaiwa, etc.  

ETA:  The FS250 is a BEAST.  When clearing with the Poulan Pro and dad's FS80 (both blade equipped), we stopped cutting stuff that was 2" or so in diameter.  I was going to come back to that stuff with a chainsaw.  When I finished up with the blade (and handlebar) equipped FS250, I knocked down all that stuff that had been left...and went up in size to 6", even 8" trees.  Probably doesn't make sense at that point, as the blade couldn't get all the way through, but the FS250 sure cut it just fine!  I love that thing!  It doesn't sip the gas, though...it gulps it.  
View Quote

I honestly hadn't considered used.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm tired of replacing the string every other time I run mine. Do any of you guys use heads with blades or something else other than string?
View Quote

Haven't tried blades.  I use .095 gatorline by Oregon in my fs250.  It has a polymer core of some sort.  It holds up well to following our chain link fence (i run around 1/2 throttle near the chain link)

It didnt hold up well when i tried to knock down a patch of mature kochia - thumb sized woody stalks.  I ended up renting a field mower to knock it back.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Stihl FS90 or FS94
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I have an echo pas230.  No problems in 6 years I've owned it.  Just gas, oil, and string.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Honda 4 stroke.
View Quote

Husqvarna with the Honda 4 stroke engine .....
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#42]
No matter what brand you decide on only use real gas in them, my small engine stuff seems to last a lot longer now and have way less problems.

http://pure-gas.org/
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Get a Black and decker pecker wrecker.

And let your wife do it.  Mine loves it.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/88/59/11/22/0088591122632_500X500.jpg
View Quote
I've got a similar B&D, but I just have a tiny lot. One battery is perfect unless I want to do some edging, then it's right on the line of needing another one.

Also have the leafblower. It's not very strong, but I do like the cordless stuff for small areas. Hate having to remember to fill up gas cans

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Honda 4 stroke.
View Quote

agreed
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's only one reason people trade in weedeaters.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#46]

I have that - handy for some jobs.

I also have a Stihl FS 240 that absolutely rapes whatever it touches.

For trivial touch-up work I also have a dewalt that uses the same 20v max packs my hand tools use.

That combination of tools works well for me.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I work for a local parks department and we have weedeater crews out 32-40 hours a week. I am impressed with the commercial grade RedMax trimmers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#48]

For those of you who are running the Stihl fs 94 what heads are you using?

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...because they've used crap Ethanol fuel in them, and gummed up the carbs/rotted out the fuel lines.  ;)  $20 fix.

I haven't bought anything used from a shop, but all the used stuff I've bought from private parties has worked out very well.

I've got about $950 into (2) Stihl commercial chainsaws (028), (2) premium commercial trimmers (FS250), a Tanaka commercial trimmer, and a pair of premium consumer trimmers (FS45/55).  

A single new saw (028 equivalent, MS261) cost $600.  The new FS250 replacement (FS240) is $600.  That would be $1200 (plus tax) for one saw, and one trimmer.  Not to mention, the new units would be (IMO) inferior to my used examples (4mix FS240, electronic MS261 saw).

I may need to replace an air cleaner, or rebuild/replace a carb and some fuel line, but so far I've used both FS250, the Tanaka, and the FS45 simply by replacing the fuel.  If you have to take them to a shop, at $80/hour or so, it may not make as much sense.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yup...because they've used crap Ethanol fuel in them, and gummed up the carbs/rotted out the fuel lines.  ;)  $20 fix.

I haven't bought anything used from a shop, but all the used stuff I've bought from private parties has worked out very well.

I've got about $950 into (2) Stihl commercial chainsaws (028), (2) premium commercial trimmers (FS250), a Tanaka commercial trimmer, and a pair of premium consumer trimmers (FS45/55).  

A single new saw (028 equivalent, MS261) cost $600.  The new FS250 replacement (FS240) is $600.  That would be $1200 (plus tax) for one saw, and one trimmer.  Not to mention, the new units would be (IMO) inferior to my used examples (4mix FS240, electronic MS261 saw).

I may need to replace an air cleaner, or rebuild/replace a carb and some fuel line, but so far I've used both FS250, the Tanaka, and the FS45 simply by replacing the fuel.  If you have to take them to a shop, at $80/hour or so, it may not make as much sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no doubt that some people can buy these things used and get a long fine.  If you've got the skills, you can easily fix them.  I have neither the skill, nor the time to buy a used weed eater and fix them myself.  I'm impressed by the guys that do though.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top