User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beautiful rifles  

My point is in general use the optic but don't rely on it so much that if it goes down you are fucked. There are some shooters who find it difficult to shoot with Irons and I've encountered them when I lived in TX. Get both but be familiar with optic and with irons not one or the other was the point I was trying to make.

Still shopping for a Eotech as I say this

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice rifle Mech!

I occasionally hunt with irons to keep proficient. I can hit rock chucks and jackrabbits out to about 100-150yards or so.
Nowhere near as good as with a scope, but still fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/roper1488/IMG_1117.jpg
Beautiful rifles  

My point is in general use the optic but don't rely on it so much that if it goes down you are fucked. There are some shooters who find it difficult to shoot with Irons and I've encountered them when I lived in TX. Get both but be familiar with optic and with irons not one or the other was the point I was trying to make.

I'm not going to be that fucked at a range, honestly. I'll just use one of the other rifles I brought with me. Or take a few minutes and swap one of my working optics. Or just use the BUIS. Or just say "Damnit", go home, and send it in for repair.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Meh irons are great and all but suck in comparison to some sort of dot or reticle in my area of use. Sure, they never fail but I'm also not a marine on deployment, I'm simply a college kid who spends his free time raking hay, pulling a wrench, and/or shooting shit. Plus I'm not an old school operator operating operationally
View Quote

The guy in this thread whose opinion matters more than most says that they've failed on him more than optics.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure, I think everyone should know how to use irons sights.  Should one be proficient with iron sights before moving to optics?  I suppose that depends on your requirements.  I'd say typical police recruits probably do need to be very proficient with the iron sights on their sidearms.  However, if my daughter wants to shoot daddy's scoped guns more than the iron sighted ones, I'm not going to pitch a fit.  

I enjoy shooting the irons on my Yugo SKS, but my reasonable accuracy limit is about 125 yards.  I'm on the downhill side of my fourth decade, so the old Mark I eyeball doesn't work like it used to.  I don't have that yardage limit with the scoped Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]
My cmp rifles have irons. My carbines and pistols have red dots.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The guy in this thread whose opinion matters more than most says that they've failed on him more than optics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh irons are great and all but suck in comparison to some sort of dot or reticle in my area of use. Sure, they never fail but I'm also not a marine on deployment, I'm simply a college kid who spends his free time raking hay, pulling a wrench, and/or shooting shit. Plus I'm not an old school operator operating operationally

Check edit, poor wording on my part Originally
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah. Thought you were talking about irons never failing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What happens when the tiny stick of metal that is an iron sight breaks?

I have broken a mountain of iron sights.

I have never broken an ACOG or T-1.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
why do you hate progress OP
I concede Optics serve a purpose but what happens if your optic breaks when you need it? What are you going to do? Throw the rifle at the bad guy?  

I've personally sent over 150 ACOG's to DERMO/WIR and had to wait for replacements for them.

My platoon had one that went down while we were at our anual qual, dude who had his go down shot like shit with irons and went back to the range with another platoon and a new ACOG.

I'd say yes, some are overly dependent on their optics.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Any of the good optics out there now are more durable than irons. I'd say be functional with them, but they're just not that important, anymore.

In our lifetimes, you'll see irons grow to the point of being vestigial. They're almost there, now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I mean is that they don't have a battery that is going to die. I apologize for my poor wording
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I concede Optics serve a purpose but what happens if your optic breaks when you need it? What are you going to do? Throw the rifle at the bad guy?  

An m16/m4 isn't supposed to be used like an electric guitar after a concert with the guitarist all hyped up on peeps and cola.

I can picture it now 'rustedace just shot a target at 1000 yds with iron sights. "Look at that. He's now slamming the rifle into the ground while screaming AK's belong in a trash can."
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Beautiful rifles  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice rifle Mech!

I occasionally hunt with irons to keep proficient. I can hit rock chucks and jackrabbits out to about 100-150yards or so.
Nowhere near as good as with a scope, but still fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/roper1488/IMG_1117.jpg
Beautiful rifles  

I know exactly what you're saying,  because in the safe right next to the XM lives this:

It's important to learn optics, especially in today's world of HSLD stuff, but basic irons use is a must for beginners.  I'm in the start with irons, move to mission specific optics but practice on your backups often because everything can fail camp.  I prefer irons though, and I'm definitely a minority in that camp, I'm only 30yo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
For a big black (or bright green) circle on a white background in broad daylight, irons are fine.

For almost anything else, like a brown deer or coyote standing in brown grass in the shade when the sun is not in the perfect place, I'll take something that doesn't make the target impossible to see.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just because you can see your reticle doesnt mean you can see your target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happens if it's dark?

Irons are useable for only ~8-12 hours each 24 hour period.  Optics are good for any of those hours.

I can see it just fine.

ETA: that's a super shitty iTater picture.  It's much clearer than that. Was less expensive than the rifle I was shooting with that night.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd rather someone learn on an optic, then shift over to irons.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#15]
As my eyes get older I am finding optics really do help out. However I do prefer low to no magnification optics.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can see it just fine.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/4C23CBE8-6A15-4374-861B-24173446E7F5_zpsqmozwpbv.jpg

ETA: that's a super shitty iTater picture.  It's much clearer than that. Was less expensive than the rifle I was shooting with that night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happens if it's dark?

Irons are useable for only ~8-12 hours each 24 hour period.  Optics are good for any of those hours.

I can see it just fine.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/4C23CBE8-6A15-4374-861B-24173446E7F5_zpsqmozwpbv.jpg

I hate you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#17]
There's nothing wrong with learning fundamentals but a new shooter might need a red dot tonight when a methhead kicks in his door at 3 am.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
An m16/m4 isn't supposed to be used like an electric guitar after a concert with the guitarist all hyped up on peeps and cola.

I can picture it now 'rustedace just shot a target at 1000 yds with iron sights. "Look at that. He's now slamming the rifle into the ground while screaming AK's belong in a trash can."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top