User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interesting, but I think of Taim as more of a slimy salesman type with a really dark, dark side.  This guy looks like the devil, maybe Demandred?

If you were casting the motion picture, who would play Rand, Mat and Perrin?  I might pick Ewen MacGregor for Rand, but I can't see anyone playing Mat or Perrin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go, nerds.  87 hours in photoshop

http://i.imgur.com/cyIPz83.png

He's a red-head with grey eyes and one hand.  

That looks like it might be a wimpy version of what I see Lord Luc as.

Maybe Mazrim Taim.

Interesting, but I think of Taim as more of a slimy salesman type with a really dark, dark side.  This guy looks like the devil, maybe Demandred?

If you were casting the motion picture, who would play Rand, Mat and Perrin?  I might pick Ewen MacGregor for Rand, but I can't see anyone playing Mat or Perrin.

colin farrell for mat or chris pine maybe?

liam hemsworth for perrin?  probably too tall and skinny

sean patrick flannery or richard madden for rand?

macgregor and farrell are getting kinda old to pass for young adults these days
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Actually that situation happens more than once. Rand at several points in the story says something very similar. Heck i think the first time i can recall off the top of my head is in book 6.  Let us not even get into Matt and the Aes Sedai.

You cannot have an open season on Aes Sedai. They are just simply to powerful from an outside perspective. Anyone with the clear knowledge of their weaknesses and limitations is either one or bonded to one. There are no effective imaginable ways and means for the average person to combat them. Nor does your average man every have a reason to. The only males who can rival them in power are systematically hunted down, or go crazy and kill themselves. Everyone else they are a group of mysterious women, who pay well, very often offer healing services to people in dire need, and unless you are in the business of running a country never likely to really deal with them.  Men would absolutely stand for a stable power structure. Especially if at the top is women who can kill you with their minds, who you might see once you life and that is when they cure you of terminal cancer and send you on your way.

IIRC the white tower contains less than 400 Aes Sedai and every country had various levels of relationships with Tar Valon. The borderlanders loved them. You have a 9 foot tall half man half bear with a huge sword and 20 buddies coming at you some woman starts tossing fireballs their direction and puts your buddies guts back in good as new you are going to thank your lucky stars whenever you see one.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not once--not once!--did an important male character stand the fuck up and say "You know what?  The next time you wrap me up in air, or use any kind of magic on me without my clear, express, permission, you better kill me.  Because as sure as I walk in the Light, I'm going to kill you at my first available opportunity."

Actually that situation happens more than once. Rand at several points in the story says something very similar. Heck i think the first time i can recall off the top of my head is in book 6.  Let us not even get into Matt and the Aes Sedai.

You cannot have an open season on Aes Sedai. They are just simply to powerful from an outside perspective. Anyone with the clear knowledge of their weaknesses and limitations is either one or bonded to one. There are no effective imaginable ways and means for the average person to combat them. Nor does your average man every have a reason to. The only males who can rival them in power are systematically hunted down, or go crazy and kill themselves. Everyone else they are a group of mysterious women, who pay well, very often offer healing services to people in dire need, and unless you are in the business of running a country never likely to really deal with them.  Men would absolutely stand for a stable power structure. Especially if at the top is women who can kill you with their minds, who you might see once you life and that is when they cure you of terminal cancer and send you on your way.

IIRC the white tower contains less than 400 Aes Sedai and every country had various levels of relationships with Tar Valon. The borderlanders loved them. You have a 9 foot tall half man half bear with a huge sword and 20 buddies coming at you some woman starts tossing fireballs their direction and puts your buddies guts back in good as new you are going to thank your lucky stars whenever you see one.  

mat and his fox necklace is the only one safe from them, and that's just physical safety.  he still has to deal with their other manipulations
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

if we were casting today, the dude who plays thor would play rand.  the trendy pick for mat would probably be chris pratt, but i'll suggest a darkhorse in travis fimmel--the guy who plays ragnar in 'vikings'.  perrin is tougher to pin down.  billy from 'black sails' could do the earnestness, but he's not exactly the bearish kind of guy you'd want to see in that role.

moiraine is, and always will be, michelle pfeiffer.  cate blanchett plays another aes sedai., or better, morgase.  angelina jolie as lanfear.  probably nathalie portman as egwene.  sophie turner (sansa from GOT) as elayne.  mila kunis as min, although a young milla jovovich would be better.

lan would probably go to viggo mortensen, but i'm not thrilled with the idea.  the rock would need to be in there somewhere, but i can't come up with a role for him.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

if we were casting today, the dude who plays thor would play rand.  the trendy pick for mat would probably be chris pratt, but i'll suggest a darkhorse in travis fimmel--the guy who plays ragnar in 'vikings'.  perrin is tougher to pin down.  billy from 'black sails' could do the earnestness, but he's not exactly the bearish kind of guy you'd want to see in that role.

moiraine is, and always will be, michelle pfeiffer.  cate blanchett plays another aes sedai., or better, morgase.  angelina jolie as lanfear.  probably nathalie portman as egwene.  sophie turner (sansa from GOT) as elayne.  mila kunis as min, although a young milla jovovich would be better.

lan would probably go to viggo mortensen, but i'm not thrilled with the idea.  the rock would need to be in there somewhere, but i can't come up with a role for him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, not enough stony angles to him.

Who plays Julian Sandar?  He was always one of my favorite characters, laid back and capable.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Just started reading this series because of this thread. I'm on mistress of the empire now. Pretty damn good books so far. Glad this thread made me check them out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not once--not once!--did an important male character stand the fuck up and say "You know what?  The next time you wrap me up in air, or use any kind of magic on me without my clear, express, permission, you better kill me.  Because as sure as I walk in the Light, I'm going to kill you at my first available opportunity."

You're blinded by your Aes Sedai fanboism.  Rand may have threatened, but he never did shit.  Rand was captured and tortured by Aes Sedai, and is arguably the most powerful "man" in that universe.  How many Aes Sedai does he kill?  Of all the Aes Sedia that have abused him, tortured him, humiliated him, or otherwise controlled him, how many has he killed--or even stilled on purpose? Now, how many male magic users does Rand kill?  Elaida and her coven can capture and torture him, and the worse they get is a few stilled bitches.  Meanwhile, Rand goes about through most of the series "hardening" himself by repeating all the names of the women that he feels have been killed because of him.  Do you think he's got a similar catechism/subsequent 'hardening' for the men he's killed?

And no effective ways to kill an Aes Sedai?  An arrow in the back would work pretty fucking well.  They're not invulnerable.  No, TWOT is just a world dominated by Aes Sedai, and by "warrior" men who quake in their boots at the thought of doing anything with a women, let alone killing one.  

Remember that time when Mat told the Aes Sedai who were pestering him about his medallion to leave him the fuck alone, and that was the end of it?  Neither do I.

Perrin?  Well, nothing to say about Perrin.  He basically tucks his tale between his legs and wets himself when he smells anger on a woman.

...and you're really going to use Shienarrans and their love for Aes Sedai as an example of how "powerful" the Aes Sedai are?  You've swallowed Jordan's line.  Think about it.  Yeah, an Aes Sedai shows up, and she can destroy twenty trollocs, and save a man with serious injuries.  That's great.  So why don't they?  Tell you what: Why don't I take my fucking soldiers out of the blight who've been fighting against the Shadow for fucking ever with little to no assistance, and the White Tower can just send in a platoon or two of battlesisters and warders and get this shit taken care of, once and for all.  Oh, no?  Can't do that?  Why?  Oh, yeah...because you're not as "invulnerable" as 'everyone' thinks, and every fighting man in Shienar had to have known it.  Shienarrans should've hated Aes Sedai, or at the very least considered them the worst sorts of cowards--regardless of their healing ability.  When you put your life on the line every day to fight an enemy for a people--especially a people exponentially more powerful than you but that just can't be bothered with it--you get resentful.  But no, not in Jordan's world.  In Jordan's world, everything is just hunky-dory, and "Thanks for curing my cancer with your superpower!  Now I'll go back and happily fight the trollocs some more...the ones, you know, you guys won't kill."

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Men would absolutely stand for a stable power structure.  Especially if at the top is women who can kill you with their minds".  Personally, I don't know anybody who would fucking stand for that, especially men raised in any type of warrior culture.  Because you can't have the two "happily" coexist.  For what purpose does a man harden himself, become a warrior, and learn to fight, when a woman can just wish her enemies dead?  I'd be much better off training in fashion, or dressmaking, or any of the other tomfoolery Jordan's female superwomen obsess about in later books.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

nailed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nailed it.

This is who I had in mind for years for Mat.  For a while, I thought Shia LaBeouf, maybe.

Alex Pettyfer for Rand.

Paul Telfer as Perrin.

Rachel Weisz as Moraine.  She's old enough.

Sandra Bullock as Siuane

Nyneave would have to be Mila Kunis.  She's got the eye-flashing thing down, and I can see her tugging her braid out of frustration, and not taking shit off anybody.

Elaida would be perfectly cast by Tilda Swinton.

Who do you guys think for Thom Merrilin?  I can't get Ian McKellen out of my mind, but the man is too old.  Maybe Benedict Cumberbatch?

And who for Lan?

...and Loial?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Season 1: Episode 1 - The Tugged Braid.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Season 1: Episode 1 - The Tugged Braid.  

View Quote

Season 1: Episode 2 - Arms Folded Under Breasts

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
mckellen is too old for merrilin.  kris kristofferson would portray the hard side of thom very well, but i don't know how well he'd handle the comedic side

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Thom Merrilin - Sam Elliott

nAILED it
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

nAILED it
View All Quotes
Quoted:

nAILED it

Yep

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you finish the series?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Expand that to the whole "Known Universe" and that's my favorite.
Saberhagen's "Berserker" universe is cool, and the Heechee series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That style of fantasy art turns me off like a switch.

How about Larry Niven's Ringworld books.

Expand that to the whole "Known Universe" and that's my favorite.
Saberhagen's "Berserker" universe is cool, and the Heechee series.

I forgot about that, I loved that series
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
While on a plane yesterday I was thinking that it's about time I re-read the Stormlight Archives, those are the two best books I've read of any fiction.  

Not WoT, I know, but because Sanderson saved the WoT it's at least somewhat relevant.  Sanderson needs to quit dicking around and get those damn books written too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just hold out until book 2 and you will be hooked
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Crushes anything by Tolkien", is a hell of a claim.    I'll give them a try.

Just hold out until book 2 and you will be hooked
This thread made me buy all the Feist books, I'm on the last 3 books of the series. I think it's something like 19 books in and I have to admit I've enjoyed his books more then Tolkien's books

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top