Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None for me. Thank you.

http://feministmadmax.tumblr.com/

View Quote

People who got all feminist-y about this are fucking delusional.  Max does his fair share of ass-kicking.  It's good old American (Australian?) ass-kicking. Good guys win, bad guys lose, save the damsels, Glocks survived and 1911's didn't. Done.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Watched it the other night with a couple friends.  It was a non-stop thrill ride/car chase from beginning to end.  The story was a little lacking but the effects and action were great.  We all liked it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

People who got all feminist-y about this are fucking delusional.  Max does his fair share of ass-kicking.  It's good old American (Australian?) ass-kicking. Good guys win, bad guys lose, save the damsels, Glocks survived and 1911's didn't. Done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
None for me. Thank you.

But all the damsels didn't sit idly wringing their hands waiting to be rescued by a man, so- feminist.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe its supposed to be set in between Mad Max and Mad Max 2.  I thought the movie did a great job at showing the transformation of Mad Max who had lost everything, seen everything turn mad, and in order to survive distrust everyone into a hybrid of cop Max and Mad Max.
I also felt that the movie showed how bleak, lonely, crazy, and hopeless a distopian world can be. Everyone was either carved up, dirty and deformed, or crazy and bloodthirsty, but then you have 4  beautiful, clean, and wearing white clothing females to help you contrast what once was and what now is.
I don't know how anyone can consider the movie crap, I know some people here hated it because they are pretty obviously sexist (in true gd fasion), OMG a strong female lead in a Mad Max movie! it must suck then because only men can be warrior like in a distopian movie!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I believe its supposed to be set in between Mad Max and Mad Max 2.  I thought the movie did a great job at showing the transformation of Mad Max who had lost everything, seen everything turn mad, and in order to survive distrust everyone into a hybrid of cop Max and Mad Max.

I also felt that the movie showed how bleak, lonely, crazy, and hopeless a distopian world can be. Everyone was either carved up, dirty and deformed, or crazy and bloodthirsty, but then you have 4  beautiful, clean, and wearing white clothing females to help you contrast what once was and what now is.

I don't know how anyone can consider the movie crap, I know some people here hated it because they are pretty obviously sexist (in true gd fasion), OMG a strong female lead in a Mad Max movie! it must suck then because only men can be warrior like in a distopian movie!
View Quote

I think Mad Max films are stand alone. Kinda like the older James Bond movies where each one that came out was not a sequel of the last one.

The pilot is in the 2nd and 3rd film but plays two completely different people. Also, Max's family is murdered in the 1st movie, but in Fury Road, he gets flashbacks of many different kids and people who cried for help, from his past.

Understand that the Mad Max movies is being told from the perception of a story teller FAR off in the future after the apocalypse. And Mad Max is kind of like a mythological/greek hero kinda story being told to us.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw the movie again last night. This time alone and in 3D. Still enjoyed the hell out of it... though I must say that once you've seen it once, the action doesn't seem as draining the second time.

At any rate, a very good and fun action flick for all but the most stick-filled of sphincters.

P.S. I'm always very sensitive to the PC-bullshit messages in movies but unless you're intent upon hating the movie and looking for reasons to do so... this movie was far more about intense action than sending any deep messages and promoting agendas. As far as Max being a feminine pussy in this one... give me a freakin' break.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think Mad Max films are stand alone. Kinda like the older James Bond movies where each one that came out was not a sequel of the last one.

The pilot is in the 2nd and 3rd film but plays two completely different people. Also, Max's family is murdered in the 1st movie, but in Fury Road, he gets flashbacks of many different kids and people who cried for help, from his past.

Understand that the Mad Max movies is being told from the perception of a story teller FAR off in the future after the apocalypse. And Mad Max is kind of like a mythological/greek hero kinda story being told to us.

View Quote

The first three films had more cohesion between them and did have a linear progression. But Fury Road is like a big mixing bowl into which they put a lot of the ideas, props, characters and little details from the first three movies and blended them into a new, unique concoction. Or to use the analogy I used in another thread, Fury Road is the "Greatest Hits" album of the Mad Max rock band... it contains all the hits but none of the B sides or connective songs that made up the previous albums, which results in a rocking loud display but very little depth.

I actually starting making a mental list of all the references and concepts that Fury Road borrows from the previous Max films... it was getting so long that I would need to write them all down to keep track of them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I definitely didn't get the feminist vibe AT ALL. It's about as anti-fem as you can get.  Women as property/livestock/bait, and you're not watching some 104 pound gymnast kick 87 different 250 pound body builders assess, the fights are well choreographed and semi-believable, and action intense.  Fun flick, will watch again.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Was a good movie, want to go see it in 3D.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw the Fury Road movie.

It was awesome

also

It was feminist dog shit

The movie was a epic spectacle, classic vintage over-the-top George Miller mad max awesomeness.

The men were evil and ugly and insane, the women were invincible and noble and beautiful.  

Mad Max was a secondary character in the movie, he was the typical feminist version of a good man, physically strong but stupid, like a big useful guard dog.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll be honest and cut up my man card, but I haven't see any of the other films.

Still, this cut of shots from the other Mad Max films show how much of Miller's awesomess bled through in the new film.
https://vimeo.com/128820740
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It was feminist dog shit

The men were evil and ugly and insane, the women were invincible and noble and beautiful.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It was feminist dog shit

Invincible? Hardly; the Breeders are nigh unto helplessness throughout, the only fighters were Furiosa and the Mothers, and are you forgetting the part where only one or two women from the former Green Place survive, the rest get run over, hacked up with chain saws, or shot?  What about all the other women that were haggard, cancered, and near death, begging for water with all the common folk?

There were literally under a dozen women in the whole movie that weren't horribly disfigured, ugly and near death.

Quoted:
Mad Max was a secondary character in the movie, he was the typical feminist version of a good man, physically strong but stupid, like a big useful guard dog.

Furiosa was a strong lead but not the main character. Max saved their lives on multiple occasions, outsmarted Furiosa's attempts early on to kill him (and kicked her ass while tied up to a War Boy), and was the one who suggested they go back to the Citadel.  He also prevented Furiosa from dying after being stabbed.

If you're seeing anything feminist in this, it's because you want to.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

No shit.

The fake controversy is starting to sound contrived and hollow.  Outrage for outrage's sake.  Kinda like Social Justice Warriors.

Enjoy the car movie the the vroom vroom and the crash crash.  It's a Mad Max movie, for fuck's sake.  Enjoy it, and just be shiny and chrome.

Some people will complain about free ice cream because it's not chocolate.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I got to go see it in 3D.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw it, I liked it.  Whats not to like about a 2 hour car chase?  As the Feminist crap.  I just didnt see it.  Yeah, there was Furiosa, so what?  MM3BT had Tina Turner.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally just saw it.  Amazing.

Textbook example of how to make the perfect action movie.

And for those hand wringing about any liberal notions in it...WTF?  If there was any message to the movie, it was this...you can't simply leave a world you ruined in the hopes of moving to some utopia on the horizon.  If you try, you'll find failure waiting for you.  No, if you ruin this world and want something better, you have to fix what you broke.  IMO if there was any grand philosophy conveyed, it was responsibility.  You break it, you fix it, no throwing your hands up and leaving destruction in your wake as you move to the next shiny thing.

But beyond that, simply a perfect action flick, and bad ass from beginning to end.

And thank go, no shaky cam.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Invincible? Hardly; the Breeders are nigh unto helplessness throughout, the only fighters were Furiosa and the Mothers, and are you forgetting the part where only one or two women from the former Green Place survive, the rest get run over, hacked up with chain saws, or shot?  What about all the other women that were haggard, cancered, and near death, begging for water with all the common folk?

There were literally under a dozen women in the whole movie that weren't horribly disfigured, ugly and near death.

Furiosa was a strong lead but not the main character. Max saved their lives on multiple occasions, outsmarted Furiosa's attempts early on to kill him (and kicked her ass while tied up to a War Boy), and was the one who suggested they go back to the Citadel.  He also prevented Furiosa from dying after being stabbed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was feminist dog shit

Quoted:

All of this.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I saw it, I liked it.  Whats not to like about a 2 hour car chase?  As the Feminist crap.  I just didnt see it.  Yeah, there was Furiosa, so what?  MM3BT had Tina Turner.
View Quote

And The Road Warrior had the chick with the crossbow.  It isn't like Miller is new to sticking strong warrior women in his flicks.  He also isn't afraid to kill them off in battle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was feminist dog shit

Quoted:

All of this.

nuh uh

I call that it is feminist, touch the ground touch the sky no recalls

/thread
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
None for me. Thank you.

View Quote

Seems like you're easily duped.  Sucks for you.  What I got out of that movie was that the women get absolution nowhere without Max being a bad ass.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
nuh uh

/thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was feminist dog shit

Invincible? Hardly; the Breeders are nigh unto helplessness throughout, the only fighters were Furiosa and the Mothers, and are you forgetting the part where only one or two women from the former Green Place survive, the rest get run over, hacked up with chain saws, or shot? What about all the other women that were haggard, cancered, and near death, begging for water with all the common folk?

Quoted:

Furiosa was a strong lead but not the main character. Max saved their lives on multiple occasions, outsmarted Furiosa's attempts early on to kill him (and kicked her ass while tied up to a War Boy), and was the one who suggested they go back to the Citadel. He also prevented Furiosa from dying after being stabbed.

All of this.

nuh uh

/thread

What are you-12?

Nick
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I saw the Fury Road movie.

It was awesome

also

It was feminist dog shit

The movie was a epic spectacle, classic vintage over-the-top George Miller mad max awesomeness.

View Quote

Needs to be repeated to you.

Women will disagree that Tom Hardy is ugly. Max stomped Furiosa in a fight even chained to a door and having his blood drained. He drove the rig out of the canyon, something she wouldn't have been able to do on her own. He gathered weapons when they used their ammo when the rig got stuck. Max led them back to water, something they could not figure out without him.

Max saved the day with his strategy and brawn. I swear some people would get offended over a fence post.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#24]
i wonder if theres a deleted scene showing the end of the bulletfarmer
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#25]
My observation about the feminist crap:  the women in this movie fucked up everything they tried to do on their own.  They only succeeded when a man was in charge.   The only things left in the world worth having were those nurtured or built by Immortan Joe.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For those worried about it being a femfest, the end of the movie says it all, the last scene.

They drive the Gigahorse back into the Citadel, with Immortan Joe's body strapped to the hood, who is standing triumphantly over the dead despot? It isn't Furiosa, it isn't Many Mothers or any of the Wives, it was Max, who picked the corpse up and threw it to the masses to be shredded? It was Max. At the end it was Max who had saved the women from the world and themselves, and it was Max who stood shiny and krome at the gates of Valhalla.
View Quote

Yeah but the women weren't in the kitchen!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And The Road Warrior had the chick with the crossbow.  It isn't like Miller is new to sticking strong warrior women in his flicks.  He also isn't afraid to kill them off in battle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOVE your avatar!!

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:00:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We'll see if Fury Road is nominated for Best Picture.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't hate, congratulate!

I actually didn't hate District 9. But my wife and EVERY single person that I know did.

See?

Same thing with Fury Road.

Glad people could dig it, I dug the cars and world building, but as a movie Road Warrior is a 1000 times better.

Ima go out on a limb here and state that the ratio of people, critics, aliens from another galaxies, etc who like Fury Road compared to those who'll admit to liking District 9 isn't even in the same universe.

We'll see if Fury Road is nominated for Best Picture.

Kinda like Shakespeare in Love won best picture over Saving Private Ryan?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:01:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Found it very underwhelming and poorly written. Targeted at 13'rs and people who cannot read.
View Quote

Or maybe just men?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I liked it.  The surround sound made it worth the price of admission.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Previous poster: "I actually starting making a mental list of all the references and concepts that Fury Road borrows from the previous Max films... it was getting so long that I would need to write them all down to keep track of them."

What he said.

Mad Max and Road Warrior fan here. Saw the movie last night in 3D and was quit relieved that it didn't suck.
There was no agenda and the guy who made it did a great job.
I only go to the theater maybe once every couple of years but wanted to see this on the big screen.
We went on a Monday night and there were only 4 other people in the theater. They were adults and were way behind us. It was good.
It ended up costing $100 for two adults and two kids with two popcorn and drinks "deals".
Fuck that and that's why I don't go to the theater.
I really need to upgrade my 60" to a 72".

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#33]
saw it this weekend.

hated it.

the speed up motion filming reminds me of Tweekers from the hospital.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Previous poster: "I actually starting making a mental list of all the references and concepts that Fury Road borrows from the previous Max films... it was getting so long that I would need to write them all down to keep track of them."

What he said.

Mad Max and Road Warrior fan here. Saw the movie last night in 3D and was quit relieved that it didn't suck.
There was no agenda and the guy who made it did a great job.
I only go to the theater maybe once every couple of years but wanted to see this on the big screen.
We went on a Monday night and there were only 4 other people in the theater. They were adults and were way behind us. It was good.
It ended up costing $100 for two adults and two kids with two popcorn and drinks "deals".
Fuck that and that's why I don't go to the theater.
I really need to upgrade my 60" to a 72".

View Quote

It cost me $9 a ticket each for me and my wife.

Then $8 for beer, combos, slim jims and snickers in the wife's purse.

You gotta do it right.

The second time I saw it I did buy popcorn and a drink. But still.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Went today. Meh, San Andreas was better!
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Went today. Meh, San Andreas was better!
View Quote

we saw San Andreas on the I MAX in 3d.

pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I would say the most feminist bit of the movie. And one of very few bits that really drew me out of the story was when Rosie Huntington-Whitley's character did the human shield thing knowing that joe and his minions wouldn't shoot if it meant killing his unborn child. No one is that brave.

At the same time she pays dearly for doing that so at least it was somewhat realistic.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:40:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I watched the movie twice.

I hate hollywood progressive feminist hippo bullshit.

There was not feminist propaganda in this movie.

WTF is wrong with you people?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Apparently after the apocalypse, blown big blocks don't need clean air and get phenomenal gas mileage.  

Oh, and winch cables are made of unobtainium.

ETA: SKS's are just a big scope away from being top-notch sniper rifles.

View Quote

Ya the SKS thing was like LOL!!!! Also when those granny's were "sniping" with there muskets.

The movie was a non stop
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorry, but that movie sucked. I prefer movies that have some semblance of a plot. A two-hour car chase in vehicles that couldn't possible exist in times like that. Yeah..........no.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Sorry, but that movie sucked. I prefer movies that have some semblance of a plot. A two-hour car chase in vehicles that couldn't possible exist in times like that. Yeah..........no.
View Quote

Prove it

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

REALLY???

No kidding. The movie isn't a post-apocalyptic documentary. It's a post-apocalyptic action flick. And ACTION there is. If you went in there expecting to be wow'd with an unassailable plot and real-life events... you were asking for failure. I went in hoping to be entertained. And entertained I was. Seriously... some of you guys should stick to watching 1950s health class films.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

REALLY???

No kidding. The movie isn't a post-apocalyptic documentary. It's a post-apocalyptic action flick. And ACTION there is. If you went in there expecting to be wow'd with an unassailable plot and real-life events... you were asking for failure. I went in hoping to be entertained. And entertained I was. Seriously... some of you guys should stick to watching 1950s health class films.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

REALLY???

I was mildly entertained by the guy playing the guitar. That was the highlight of the movie for me. I was expecting some kind of plot. Not anything huge, just something more than a two-hour car chase.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#44]
So it looks like Mad Max Fury Road is this years "Man of Steel".

It's seems like you either love it, or you hate it.

But hey, Man of Steel didn't get a 98% positive rating from critics and well over 90% positive ratings from general audience polls.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I was mildly entertained by the guy playing the guitar. That was the highlight of the movie for me. I was expecting some kind of plot. Not anything huge, just something more than a two-hour car chase.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

REALLY???

At first, when the guitar-playing mole debuted... I was like "WHAT IN THE HELL IS THIS???" (being a 30-year gigging guitar player myself), but after a moment, I rolled with it and kind of enjoyed that crazy freakshow. Helluva a lot more entertaining than most of the guitar players I see live these days anyways!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
At first, when the guitar-playing mole debuted... I was like "WHAT IN THE HELL IS THIS???" (being a 30-year gigging guitar player myself), but after a moment, I rolled with it and kind of enjoyed that crazy freakshow. Helluva a lot more entertaining than most of the guitar players I see live these days anyways!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

REALLY???

It was definitely an unexpected twist. I guess I'm just not that thrilled with pure action flicks anymore. I must be desensitized. I'm going to see the new Terminator movie and Jurassic World. Hopefully, I'll enjoy those.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Just saw it a third time.

I'm done now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote
They could have done so much with the story instead of "Let's go here to paradise... ah crap, we gotta go back". All at a breathtaking 40mph

Bored the snot out of me.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Saw it this evening.  Damn good.  Two hours of car chase that goes by quickly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Saw it for the 2nd time with a lady friend of mine. It's still tied with Guardians of the Galaxy for the best movie I've seen at a movie theater.

Fucking LOVE that scene where Max is driving and him and Furiousa and shooting at the same time. Max does some pretty high speed shit with his pistol.

Click To View Spoiler

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top