BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought Fury Road had some great story telling. It had a real Homer's Iliad feel to it, with a twist that a "war" breaks out over a women leaving the man who views her as his property.

People are ALWAYS nostalgic for the years of yore. But while Road Warrior was a GREAT movie 30 years ago, it's a "ok" movie by today's standards in film making and story telling.

I can't remember when I had so much fun watching a movie. I thought NOTHING would top Guardians of the Galaxy last year for pure entertainment, but Fury Road is right there next to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the road warrior was on Spike last night

wow has film progressed in 30 years

max leaves, gets nitro smoked, wrecks the interceptor
crawls out and his dog gets killed
then the bomb under the fueltank blows destroying the car

the story arc of the girl from the refinery was obtuse and her death was stupid

oh the mechanic cripple is on fire
let me walk up the spine of the tanker and wait to be shot with multiple arrows from the tire gun
now i am hanging from the barb wire and being pulled onto an attack car
oops they dropped me and i am crushed under a wheel

i guess thats better than the leader who got a humongous trident to the spine at 60 mph

Agreed.

I saw the original movies in the theater when they were released.... and of course I've seen 'em since then. I don't get what's so superior about them versus Fury Road. The action in the new one was like trying to drink from a fire hose... and that's what I loved about it. I went to see ACTION... and I saw a shit-ton of ACTION. What's not to love??? Thick plot and character development? Why don't we just sip tea with our pinkies sticking-out all up in here??? I didn't freakin go to this movie to tear it apart like some egghead movie critic... this movie was just plain FUN. If I want to see a movie that disgusts me with stupidity and boring cliche... then that's what Taken 3 was for. if I want to see a movie that makes me think hard, then that's what Interstellar was for. Fury Road was just pure, fantastic, INSANITY. And it gets three thumbs up from me for achieving its goal.

I thought Fury Road had some great story telling. It had a real Homer's Iliad feel to it, with a twist that a "war" breaks out over a women leaving the man who views her as his property.

People are ALWAYS nostalgic for the years of yore. But while Road Warrior was a GREAT movie 30 years ago, it's a "ok" movie by today's standards in film making and story telling.

I can't remember when I had so much fun watching a movie. I thought NOTHING would top Guardians of the Galaxy last year for pure entertainment, but Fury Road is right there next to it.

It was definitely a great movie. As for the critics on arfcom, you could have the hottest woman and they'd find something wrong with her.

Haters are going to hate.

Excellent action flick.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It was definitely a great movie. As for the critics on arfcom, you could have the hottest woman and they'd find something wrong with her.

Excellent action flick.
View Quote

Like I've said many many times, most on here could suck the fun out of a free, all you can shoot machine-gun range day.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Good flick.  I sat there for 2 hours and when it was over I couldn't believe I had already been there for 2 hours.  It's been a long time since I saw a movie that made me feel this that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yea apparently ammo and fuel wasn't scarce in the mad max world anymore

Give me my money back

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b7/96/d5/b796d5fbf7b76d00b199bf6ac46c93ea.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
saw it in 3d it was good

viewers need to understand this is a homage/tribute movie to the other 3. There are so many visuals that are from the other films it's hard to miss.

this is a movie where a young director says if I had the money I would make the movie like this but budget restrictions say I can't. When that same director is older and has the financing he goes back and makes the movie how he originally envisioned.

Here's the catch he split the characters instead of Max You also have Theron, so instead of one character enduring a bunch of shit you have 2 characters taking 50% of the shit. Charlize looked just like Max at the end of RW.

The movie like house of a 1000 corpses has that feel where sometimes your watching a music video mixed in, Fury Road would have been great with a full blown metal soundtrack back in the 80's.

More shots fired from guns in this movie than all other max movies combined.

it's a movie, you won't applaud at the end, you won't cry but you will try to run someone over on the way home.

Yea apparently ammo and fuel wasn't scarce in the mad max world anymore

Give me my money back

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b7/96/d5/b796d5fbf7b76d00b199bf6ac46c93ea.jpg

You would think having two adjacent cities named Gas Town and Bullet Farm would be a clue.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Pfft! Look at all these critic reviews and general public polling/audience scores. These guys have no idea how to rate a good movie, only ARFCOM butthurt mafia knows a good movie when they see one

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]

That is some canned AWESOMENESS right there!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw it yesterday with the family and we all agreed it was awesome and it's the boy child's new favorite. It's nonstop action/ chase scene with badass cars.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Excellent action flick.
View Quote

They're wet blankets until the bitter end. Wonder how many of the Urkel-wanna-bes are members of the Arfcom-misogynist-bucket-brigade?  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The guitar rig was my fav, made the movie for me
View Quote

That was pretty much the only redeeming quality of that steaming turd of a movie.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Pfft. No, in true ARFCOM fashion, they'll say they look "okay" and their own wife is hotter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Saw it yesterday with the family and we all agreed it was awesome and it's the boy child's new favorite. It's nonstop action/ chase scene with badass cars.
View Quote

Me and a few guys that I know plan to go see it a second time in the theater just to soak moar of the insanity in. And when the Blu-Ray comes out (no doubt in extended, un-cut form), I'll be doing that as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pfft. No, in true ARFCOM fashion, they'll say they look "okay" and their own wife is hotter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey... leave their "wives" out of this. They are STUNNING!!!

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
gonna see it in 3d English in Budapest this friday.

Can't hardly wait.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Me and a few guys that I know plan to go see it a second time in the theater just to soak moar of the insanity in. And when the Blu-Ray comes out (no doubt in extended, un-cut form), I'll be doing that as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've only seen it once, but I definitely plan on seeing it again. I wish it was on IMAX.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've only seen it once, but I definitely plan on seeing it again. I wish it was on IMAX.
View Quote

We don't have an IMAX nearby, but I was hoping to at least see it on the Big D screen. For some reason, it never showed there. I am ASSUMING that maybe it was a resolution thing or something? Cause if any movie was made for HUGE screens... it's this one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We don't have an IMAX nearby, but I was hoping to at least see it on the Big D screen. For some reason, it never showed there. I am ASSUMING that maybe it was a resolution thing or something? Cause if any movie was made for HUGE screens... it's this one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Budget reason or something? It's expensive to release a movie to IMAX.

I don't know, I wish it was on IMAX though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally movies have to be shot with IMAX cameras to really benefit from being shown in an IMAX theater. To my knowledge Fury Road was not shot for IMAX... that doesn't mean they COULDN'T just format it and show it, but the way Hollywood works they prefer their big IMAX blockbusters to occupy those screens. When I went to see Fury Road the new Avengers was on the IMAX screen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Generally movies have to be shot with IMAX cameras to really benefit from being shown in an IMAX theater. To my knowledge Fury Road was not shot for IMAX... that doesn't mean they COULDN'T just format it and show it, but the way Hollywood works they prefer their big IMAX blockbusters to occupy those screens. When I went to see Fury Road the new Avengers was on the IMAX screen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just about all movies aren't shot with IMAX film. Even Interstellar which was shot with IMAX cameras only used them sparingly. Most movies like Avengers and such are just upscaled to IMAX.

But regardless, the sound system coupled with high resolution film that they use, still looks great and sounds great in IMAX.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just about all movies aren't shot with IMAX film. Even Interstellar which was shot with IMAX cameras only used them sparingly. Most movies like Avengers and such are just upscaled to IMAX.

But regardless, the sound system coupled with high resolution film that they use, still looks great and sounds great in IMAX.
View Quote

It is quite rare you are correct, due entirely to cost. Shooting IMAX is goofy expensive, so they always reserve it for special shots and a lot of the time they wind up reformatting it anyway. In the few movies that use unformatted IMAX footage like The Dark Knight the pop in aspect ratio can be kind of jarring.

I still think that Fury Road was not part of their mega summer blockbuster mold so it did not get the IMAX treatment. Doesn't mean they can't come back and re-release it later like some movies have been.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pfft! Look at all these critic reviews and general public polling/audience scores. These guys have no idea how to rate a good movie, only ARFCOM butthurt mafia knows a good movie when they see one

http://s24.postimg.org/msvchwm0l/furyroad1.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/8nwnyfwwl/furyroad2.jpg

http://s18.postimg.org/b83lgge5l/furyroad3.jpg

View Quote

You protest too much.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It is quite rare you are correct, due entirely to cost. Shooting IMAX is goofy expensive, so they always reserve it for special shots and a lot of the time they wind up reformatting it anyway. In the few movies that use unformatted IMAX footage like The Dark Knight the pop in aspect ratio can be kind of jarring.

I still think that Fury Road was not part of their mega summer blockbuster mold so it did not get the IMAX treatment. Doesn't mean they can't come back and re-release it later like some movies have been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I just read 100,000 dollars a DAY in production costs to use a IMAX 3-D Camera.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You protest too much.
View Quote

Because it'll be a tragedy if this movie becomes this year's Edge of Tomorrow.

And because you guys think you're smarter than 90% of the world.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Fury Road already has something like $230 million in global ticket sales. It has made its money back and then some, and it isn't even out on video yet.

And Edge of Tomorrow made something like $350 mil globally on something like a $175 mil budget... so it was far from a slouch performance wise.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You protest too much.

We are the 2%

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You protest too much.

I just read the caption under his avatar: "Likes District 9 more than you."

Hmmm...

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought women were "okay" and not anything to make me cross a street for let alone risk my life for, but than again it's the apocalypse and judging from everyone else in the film there aren't too many normal women left.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hmmm...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You protest too much.

Hmmm...

It's true:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#28]

'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

'Nuff said.
View All Quotes

Don't hate, congratulate!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually didn't hate District 9. But my wife and EVERY single person that I know did.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I actually didn't hate District 9. But my wife and EVERY single person that I know did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See?

Same thing with Fury Road.

Glad people could dig it, I dug the cars and world building, but as a movie Road Warrior is a 1000 times better.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
See?

Glad people could dig it, I dug the cars and world building, but as a movie Road Warrior is a 1000 times better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See?

I took all kinds of fire for hating Pacific Rim. Now it's your turn.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I thought NOTHING would top Guardians of the Galaxy last year for pure entertainment, but Fury Road is right there next to it.

View Quote
Guardians of the Galaxy shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as this piece of garbage

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#34]
At the theaters again. I figure why not, it will be most enjoyed on a big screen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

At the theaters again. I figure why not, it will be most enjoyed on a big screen.
View Quote

YUP! All these people that wrote this awesome movie off because of some gay magazine article or what they heard on ARF will be kicking themselves when they see it on dvd or blu ray.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I've seen it twice now.

Fucking awesome both times.

Going to go see it a third time next week.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
See?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See?

I swear that George Miller must have punked everyone and released TWO versions.

The version that most normal people saw, and the version that you and your ilk saw...that's the only explanation.

And, FWIW, Road warrior was NOT some cinematic masterpiece.

Your memory of the movie and it's reality are a little different.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Guardians of the Galaxy shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as this piece of garbage

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought NOTHING would top Guardians of the Galaxy last year for pure entertainment, but Fury Road is right there next to it.

Your opinion has been duly noted and filed in the appropriate receptacle...right next to some clapped out AK's.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The version that most normal people saw, and the version that you and your ilk saw...that's the only explanation.

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See?

Nick

Yeah, and again, most of us remember decades past as some kind of golden era.

But the truth is, it wasn't.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go have a drink and relax your sphincter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

See?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See?

Ima go out on a limb here and state that the ratio of people, critics, aliens from another galaxies, etc who like Fury Road compared to those who'll admit to liking District 9 isn't even in the same universe.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ima go out on a limb here and state that the ratio of people, critics, aliens from another galaxies, etc who like Fury Road compared to those who'll admit to liking District 9 isn't even in the same universe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See?

We'll see if Fury Road is nominated for Best Picture.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See?

All I care about when I see a movie is if I was entertained, and the level to which I felt entertained. "Best Picture" nominations mean exactly doodly-squat. My point was that there is NO doubt about which of these two movies entertained more people and the intensity of their entertainment. As someone who sort-of enjoyed District 9 and who DEFINITELY enjoyed Fury Road... I'm not biased against either one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

All I care about when I see a movie is if I was entertained, and the level to which I felt entertained. "Best Picture" nominations mean exactly doodly-squat. My point was that there is NO doubt about which of these two movies entertained more people and the intensity of their entertainment. As someone who sort-of enjoyed District 9 and who DEFINITELY enjoyed Fury Road... I'm not biased against either one.
View Quote

If the movie can't get my brain involved, I can't be entertained.

Like I said before, I can't "Just shut it off."

Sucks, I know.

Ex Machina is a better film than Fury Road because it made me think instead of just marveling at yet another chase/explosion/stunt.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Some people here just need to nit-pick everything for politics or plot-perfection. Do yourselves a favor sometime and just go-in to a movie like this, open to being entertained without overt-hinking the shit out of everything. It might be fun to pull the sticks out of your asses once in a while!
View Quote

It's called 'analysis', and for some people, it enhances their enjoyment of a thing to look at its various aspects.

Stories can be multi-faceted and layered. A film can be a roaring, bloody, exploding action film, and still make a point or two about human nature and what it means to be a man or a woman.

When I taught high school, I used Firefly to teach my students about storytelling elements. You would be amazed at how deep you can go with a 'silly' sci-fi action show.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Found it very underwhelming and poorly written. Targeted at 13'rs and people who cannot read.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Saw it, loved it.  I had no idea feminism was this badass.  I'm so sorry Gloria Steinem, I've been terribly, terribly wrong about you...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:00:46 AM EDT
[#49]
None for me. Thank you.

http://feministmadmax.tumblr.com/

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

None for me. Thank you.

http://feministmadmax.tumblr.com/

View Quote

yep, it was a feminist jihad of angry empowered women as sex slaves being hooked up to milking machines as cattle

and they jumped a rock crawler over a semi at 50 mph while things were on fire
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top