Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Thought it was great, only a couple things were too unbelievable or over the top.  Crazy vehicles made it even better, outstanding attention to detail.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The guitar rig was my fav, made the movie for me
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw the movie tonight and give it a B+, A's being reserved for movies I've watched (or expect to watch) again and again. My main complaint--which some view as a positive--is that it is almost 100% action with no downtime. In my opinion, the best movies balance action and drama/storytelling better than that. When you go too heavy on one, you necessarily neglect the other. I would have preferred breaks in the constant fighting/chases to focus on more dramatic scenes.  

The highlight of Mad Max is the world-building and art direction. The creator did a great job imagining a post-apocalyptic world and thinking, "What would things be like if a megalomaniac captured absolute power in a lawless world? What kind of weird stuff would people be up to out in the desert?"

I recommend seeing the movie, but I disagree with the over-the-top reviews calling this one of the best movies ever made.
View Quote

This movie really is about 90 minutes of pure balls-to-the-wall action crammed in a 2 hour movie.

The scene where she drops to her knees on the top of that dune with the wind blowing was beautiful. There was a lot of really visually stunning stuff going on here. When they get it right, I tend to give movies a free pass to indulge here even if the story suffers a bit (Max's family/psychosis could have been fleshed out more clearly).

There was a part at the end that reminded me of Dom in Gears of War and that made me sad.

I really, really enjoyed this movie. I'm sensitive to heavy-handed progressive demagoguing but there really isn't anything to be outraged at here. Furiosa is one tough bitch, end of story. Like Ripley before her, I think she's badass. Go see this movie.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Great action and characters, shitty story..

They could have made it amazing, but it was basically me waiting to feel a connection to max, and the whole story was about the chick..

The beginning of the movie was so fucking annoying, the supposed main character is chained up,, and does nothing for the first almost 3rd of the movie.. WTF!

had loads of potential, but fell short horribly In the story and character building.. Best ever, lol not even close.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Great action and characters, shitty story..

They could have made it amazing, but it was basically me waiting to feel a connection to max, and the whole story was about the chick..

The beginning of the movie was so fucking annoying, the supposed main character is chained up,, and does nothing for the first almost 3rd of the movie.. WTF!

had loads of potential, but fell short horribly In the story and character building.. Best ever, lol not even close.
View Quote

Which leads to believe...there will be other installments. This wasn't the end of it.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh gee another remake or continuation of what was once popular....ho hum.   Movies are so boring and predictable.  they produce 37 comic book related movies every year and then throw in a bunch of remakes and puff pieces about social issues.
View Quote

Um
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

funny, i HATED that part.. that was the only part of the movie i didn't really like... thought it was stupid and unnecessary.. i also wish max got back in his car and fucked shit up with it but whatcha gonna do..
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#8]
What accent is Hardy sticking with?

This one was dull and all over the place. Loved the hard Aussie and brit accents in the rest of the series
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely would nominate it for sound, costume and make up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This one was dull and all over the place. Loved the hard Aussie and brit accents in the rest of the series
View Quote

think he was going for aussie.. but being all fucked up for (several) years... i'm guessing
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Loved it.  I had no expectation of Palme d'or fluffy film shit, I expected a post-apocalyptic wet dream, and I got it.
I can find nothing to nitpick.  I wanted to be entertained. I was entertained.

SKS sniper rifle, LOL!
"Only six rounds left for the 'Big Boy'"
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

think he was going for aussie.. but being all fucked up for (several) years... i'm guessing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was gayeee
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

funny, i HATED that part.. that was the only part of the movie i didn't really like... thought it was stupid and unnecessary.. i also wish max got back in his car and fucked shit up with it but whatcha gonna do..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the guitar rocked, and the War Drums on the back just kicked ass.  I like how they tied the soundtrack to the guitar and the pulse of the chase.

Honestly, I wanted to see more Falcon XB action too...but after seeing what he was up against, what could he have done?  His car was great when he was running through motorcyclists in the 80's, but other than looking badass and taking him from point A to B, the Interceptor wasn't in the same ballpark as the rest of the vehicles in the WarBoys' stable.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I now want a special-edition WarWagon steering wheel for my '68 Camaro.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure as shit ain't gonna be for the script.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#16]
https://youtu.be/KP-6ewtJcdk

here is the only review that matters

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I liked the more superficial aspects of the movie. The action scenes were intense.....and frequent.

There were aspects that I expected and didn't expect that both disappointed.

Way too much of the womans character, not nearly enough of Max (It was "Mad Max", not "Mad Maxine" right?)

Not enough back story on Max. Yeah it was supposed to be frantic, chaotic, fast paced flashbacks....but it shouldn't have been at the expense of the story and details that form a more compelling narrative.

There was no real centerpiece of the story....it's one apocalyptic furious car chase after the other. The only real pauses to develop the story lead me to gripe #4...

The hot chicks stranded in the middle of nowhere.....really? They all looked like they just walked out of a salon while the rest of the human population was dirty, beat up, cannibalizing, fighting, raping and plundering their way through what remained of the world they lived in. In addition to that, they added virtually nothing positive to the story.....while remaining unbelievably pristine in appearance and behavior. Didn't fit, added nothing.

The guitar player on the front of that truck? Goofy.

The backdrop, the bad ass vehicles, the fighting on the roads and deserts was cool. Max was played well, but there should have been far more of him, in his own ride, dealing out damage and kickin ass. Very little of that.

Over all, I enjoyed it....but I agree that the reviews far exceed the experience I was given.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing I didn't go expecting to see movie of the year.

Every year there's one or two movies that you need to see in theaters soley for big screen and good sound. This is one of them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given the amount of hype here, and the 98% on RT, I certainly expected more than I got.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I liked the more superficial aspects of the movie. The action scenes were intense.....and frequent.

There were aspects that I expected and didn't expect that both disappointed.

Way too much of the womans character, not nearly enough of Max (It was "Mad Max", not "Mad Maxine" right?)

Not enough back story on Max. Yeah it was supposed to be frantic, chaotic, fast paced flashbacks....but it shouldn't have been at the expense of the story and details that form a more compelling narrative.

There was no real centerpiece of the story....it's one apocalyptic furious car chase after the other. The only real pauses to develop the story lead me to gripe #4...

The hot chicks stranded in the middle of nowhere.....really? They all looked like they just walked out of a salon while the rest of the human population was dirty, beat up, cannibalizing, fighting, raping and plundering their way through what remained of the world they lived in. In addition to that, they added virtually nothing positive to the story.....while remaining unbelievably pristine in appearance and behavior. Didn't fit, added nothing.

The guitar player on the front of that truck? Goofy.

The backdrop, the bad ass vehicles, the fighting on the roads and deserts was cool. Max was played well, but there should have been far more of him, in his own ride, dealing out damage and kickin ass. Very little of that.

Over all, I enjoyed it....but I agree that the reviews far exceed the experience I was given.

View Quote

That's what the matriarchy will do for ya. Turn plain old violence and anarchy into an opera, a choreographed and beautiful death scene. It's like ninjas getting blowed up in the 80's. They'd die elegantly being blowed up and doing triple flip one and a half gainers in perfect uniform sequence to their beautiful deaths, paired off in pairs of six and eight. Beautiful, eloquent ninja explosion deaths.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

I would normally agree. This is the kind of crap they usually pan. Odd.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Given the amount of hype here, and the 98% on RT, I certainly expected more than I got.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never trust ARFCOM on movies. Half of these guys think Guardians of the Galaxy was the best movie of last year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Never trust ARFCOM on movies. Half of these guys think Guardians of the Galaxy was the best movie of last year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ugh.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Saw it last night. Take note that I've never seen the original and didn't know the story like going in...but I thought it sucked. Not impressed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Saw it last night. Take note that I've never seen the original and didn't know the story like going in...but I thought it sucked. Not impressed.
View Quote
The original Mad Max is a snoozefest like this one. Road Warrior was far, FAR better than either of them.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The original Mad Max is a snoozefest like this one. Road Warrior was far, FAR better than either of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just re-watched Road Warrior just to make sure I wasn't tripping.

Nope, great flick.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Thought it was great, only a couple things were too unbelievable or over the top.  Crazy vehicles made it even better, outstanding attention to detail.
View Quote
This

The ending could had a little more, but overall it was a great movie
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This     The ending could had a little more, but overall it was a great movie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, if you took all the stunts/explosions out of it, what makes it great?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
So, if you took all the stunts/explosions out of it, The Road Warrior, what makes it great?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thought it was great, only a couple things were too unbelievable or over the top. Crazy vehicles made it even better, outstanding attention to detail.
This The ending could had a little more, but overall it was a great movie

So, if you took all the stunts/explosions out of it, The Road Warrior, what makes it great?

Nick
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The colors and textures and epic wide and close shots; the world; the millions of interesting little details; the frenetic pacing and characters; the cars; the general absurdity. I loved it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Beautiful movie. It should win some awards just for the art direction. CGI and live action was seamless.

I liked it. All this talk about ultra liberal feminism and such... some people just see politics in everything. It was a rip-roaring film from start to finish. I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Just saw that movie was fucking insane!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Just saw the movie want my $10.00 back
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How this movie was made

"Hey George, make us. New Max movie"

"Do I get lots of money for effects n shit?"

"Sure"

"Oh what a lovely day!!!!!!!"

::Huffs a bunch of paint  chugs 87 redbulls while doing lines of NOxplode off tits and remakes the tanker chase from Road Warrior except for two hours and FUCKING CRAZY::

Loved it.

It was the Cola Warrior of chase movies.
View Quote

Hmm, I'm inclined to agree with you. Except I imagine you would have a different weapons selection.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think most human minds are ready for that level of madness.

And I like to think I have a fairly flexible mind.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wife and I saw it on Sunday... and WOW... it was INSANE indeed. I looked over at her about 3/4 of the way through with that "holy hell I'm worn-out" look on my face. I plan to see it again for sure.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just saw the movie want my $10.00 back
View Quote

Fifty Shades of Grey is already out on DVD.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was supposed to be an over-the-top action flick... not War and Peace.

I went to Fury Road hoping for some decent action and FX, but expecting to be disappointed. I was most-definitely NOT disappointed. It more than delivered for what it was meant to be.

Some people here just need to nit-pick everything for politics or plot-perfection. Do yourselves a favor sometime and just go-in to a movie like this, open to being entertained without overt-hinking the shit out of everything. It might be fun to pull the sticks out of your asses once in a while!

P.S. I'm late to the party for seeing this movie because work and a long vacation got in the way. But I'm glad I finally made it.

Next stop --> the new Jurrasic Park. And I expect to enjoy that too! I'm all naive, simple and childish that way.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#43]
the road warrior was on Spike last night

wow has film progressed in 30 years

max leaves, gets nitro smoked, wrecks the interceptor

crawls out and his dog gets killed

then the bomb under the fueltank blows destroying the car

the story arc of the girl from the refinery was obtuse and her death was stupid

oh the mechanic cripple is on fire

let me walk up the spine of the tanker and wait to be shot with multiple arrows from the tire gun

now i am hanging from the barb wire and being pulled onto an attack car

oops they dropped me and i am crushed under a wheel

i guess thats better than the leader who got a humongous trident to the spine at 60 mph
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

let me walk up the spine of the tanker and wait to be shot with multiple arrows from the tire gun

i guess thats better than the leader who got a humongous trident to the spine at 60 mph
View Quote

Agreed.

I saw the original movies in the theater when they were released.... and of course I've seen 'em since then. I don't get what's so superior about them versus Fury Road. The action in the new one was like trying to drink from a fire hose... and that's what I loved about it. I went to see ACTION... and I saw a shit-ton of ACTION. What's not to love??? Thick plot and character development? Why don't we just sip tea with our pinkies sticking-out all up in here??? I didn't freakin go to this movie to tear it apart like some egghead movie critic... this movie was just plain FUN. If I want to see a movie that disgusts me with stupidity and boring cliche... then that's what Taken 3 was for. if I want to see a movie that makes me think hard, then that's what Interstellar was for. Fury Road was just pure, fantastic, INSANITY. And it gets three thumbs up from me for achieving its goal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#46]

I am SO ordering that for my next range trip!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Agreed.

I saw the original movies in the theater when they were released.... and of course I've seen 'em since then. I don't get what's so superior about them versus Fury Road. The action in the new one was like trying to drink from a fire hose... and that's what I loved about it. I went to see ACTION... and I saw a shit-ton of ACTION. What's not to love??? Thick plot and character development? Why don't we just sip tea with our pinkies sticking-out all up in here??? I didn't freakin go to this movie to tear it apart like some egghead movie critic... this movie was just plain FUN. If I want to see a movie that disgusts me with stupidity and boring cliche... then that's what Taken 3 was for. if I want to see a movie that makes me think hard, then that's what Interstellar was for. Fury Road was just pure, fantastic, INSANITY. And it gets three thumbs up from me for achieving its goal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Dude....are you sure that third appendage is a THUMB?

Nick
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I enjoyed it.
However, I'm  widely regarded a proper rub dirt in your hair while sitting in the corner drooling retard.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Agreed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

I thought Fury Road had some great story telling. It had a real Homer's Iliad feel to it, with a twist that a "war" breaks out over a women leaving the man who views her as his property.

People are ALWAYS nostalgic for the years of yore. But while Road Warrior was a GREAT movie 30 years ago, it's a "ok" movie by today's standards in film making and story telling.

I can't remember when I had so much fun watching a movie. I thought NOTHING would top Guardians of the Galaxy last year for pure entertainment, but Fury Road is right there next to it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

LoL that's freaking awesome!
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top