Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2015 10:24:40 PM EDT
I'm trying to plan a trip out to the West coast this summer, for early July.  I can't make up my mind between San Fransicso, Portland, or Seattle.

I've been to San Diego twice and have seen Southern California, so I'm looking for something more Pacific Northwest.

I've got about a week to spend, but could cut the trip a little shorter. I'm mainly looking for good food, drinks and scenery. I'll be traveling with my girlfriend.

Does anyone have any pointers?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm mainly looking for good food, drinks and scenery. I'll be traveling with my girlfriend.

Portland.

ETA - Budget ?

Hipster central, but July can be awesome
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
We just road tripped from Seattle to San Francisco about a month ago.

highlight was Seattle. Such a beautiful city.

Close second was Northern California.

Was an incredible 9 days of Driving, eating, and Beer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm mainly looking for good food, drinks and scenery. I'll be traveling with my girlfriend.

Portland.

ETA - Budget ?

Hipster central, but July can be awesome
View Quote

My budget is mid range. I'm not looking to do things on a cheap shoestring, but I'm not staying at the Four Seasons either. I'll probably splurge a couple of nights and have some really nice meals, as in really high end. Everything else I'm just looking for reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
First of all, it takes 7 days to drive from WA/OR boarder To OR/CA boarder. Not quite but it will feel like it.

Imho

Pikes mkt = must do and a good starting point. Seattle for 2 days.
1 day to Portland and then to the coast.
3 days down the coast. Lots of great stops for food and entertainment. Newport aquarium, sand dunes, seafoods in coos bay, golf in Bandon and increadible views down the coast.
1-2 days to San Francisco and home ASAP.

Sounds like my honeymoon...

Oh, it was...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Visit SF in September or early October. The weather is better. The summer months are freezing ass cold.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
grew up on on the central Oregon coast, if it were me I'd spend the week doing Vancouver Island, Vancouver BC, then Puget Sound  , the Olympic Peninsula down 101 to Astoria / Seaside then 26 to Portland,  a week would be pushing it for time

Comeback next year and do the Oregon coast and southern Ore.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Here's a reasonable place to start for food.

Diner

If you are looking for location - I'd stay out of Downtown Portland. The Pearl / NW portland is much better if you like food and walking places.

Northrup Station has a hipster vibe but is clean and in a good location. If you want a splurge meal, (one of) the best places in Portland is right next door. Paley's Place.

You can walk to Powells Book store about a mile away or hop on the streetcar.

A little nicer lodging is at the just completed Residence Inn in the Pearl (not the one on the Waterfront - that needs a facelift) - don't be fooled by the name, they did a good job.

If you do want downtown, the best place I think is "The Nines" hotel;. Very pricey, but sometimes you can find a deal. Unfortunately you have to wade through Portland's Army of homeless/dirtbags to enter the place.

Downtown is kind of lost to that crew.

There are lots of cool things to see in July-  there is a great Blues Festival on the Waterfront over the 4th. If you can handle sweaty drunk people, it is a good time in a inice venuie

Or, head to Central Oregon (my home) for the Real Oregon  Bend

We've got fancy restaurants, biking, fishing, hiking and about 30 breweries without the big city issues

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First of all, it takes 7 days to drive from WA/OR boarder To OR/CA boarder..
View Quote

Lol so true.  Planned a trip down highway 1 one year many moons ago.  Got about 20 miles down before we hit the interstate.  Oregon is beautiful though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Visit SF in September or early October. The weather is better. The summer months are freezing ass cold.
View Quote

Quickest way to spot a tourist in San Francisco:  wearing shorts and a brand new SF sweatshirt.  Sometimes even with a tag still on the sweatshirt.  

I still think I should take a parka and a stadium blanket to a July baseball game back here
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:12:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Come to Santa Cruz its not to fancy but up in the woods there is Big Bason State Park which is very nice to hike.  Also you could do the day hike from Bonnie Dune to Davinpoit just make sure you have a shuttle car its a long hike.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Start at either end and just drive along the Pac Coast Hwy.  Stop where you feel like.  It's a trip onto it self.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been to all three and lived across the river from Portland. San Francisco is by far the best city, but if you're looking for scenery, they all have their merits.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Look up pub crawler on the inter webs.

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Must go to Newport, OR.  Absolutely beautiful..
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Come to Santa Cruz its not to fancy but up in the woods there is Big Bason State Park which is very nice to hike.  Also you could do the day hike from Bonnie Dune to Davinpoit just make sure you have a shuttle car its a long hike.
View Quote

Do they still have the train there?

ETA:  Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroad -  we much of combined a trip when I was real little
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#16]
The best part of the west coast is highway 101 down the Oregon coast.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Must go to Newport, OR.  Absolutely beautiful..
View Quote

Now that just amazes me, after spending 30 odd years there not something I'd say about it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top