Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2015 9:02:41 PM EDT
No PC, no PS4 or XB1.

I have a Wii u I purchased last year in anticipation for the next Zelda, but seeing how that is delayed I'll need to fill the gap with something. I played GTA4 on the 360 and it was pretty good. Is there a large graphical improvement between 4 and 5 or is more just a bigger game?

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a significant graphical update as well as the addition of first person mode on the new consoles. The original version for the 360 and PS3 is still an outstanding game and definitely worth playing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have it on 360, it is a hell of a lot of fun. Way better than GTA4, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I play it on PS3.

The single player was fun, the online is VERY fun.

Be warned though, as a 'newb' you will get killed, very often.

Find some friends and do missions.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought it for the PC, and I'm chalking it up to one of my biggest regret purchases ever.

I just don't get it.  Run around and be a thug?  To what end?  What's the point of the entire game?  I simply do not "get" it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought it for the PC, and I'm chalking it up to one of my biggest regret purchases ever.

I just don't get it.  Run around and be a thug?  To what end?  What's the point of the entire game?  I simply do not "get" it.
View Quote
apparently you never bought GTA 1,2,3,4

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say 5 is graphically superior to  4 on ps3/360, the ps4/xbone versions significantly so. If you don't see a new console anywhere in your near future I'd still play it on last gen it was a lot fun. I got it at the original launch then ended up buying another copy for ps4.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guessed correctly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know there's an entire story line, right?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Still a great game. I miss 4 ' nutty physics but 5 is very good and the actual game play is good.

Also the game has a cool cast, with great choreography and voicework. It's fun to watch,  play, and listen to. Michael Townsley is my favorite gta protagonist, even over vercetti.

Playing 5 on my sli 970 setup looks phenomenal!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You guessed correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guessed correctly.

There is a great story, great voice acting, hilarious dialogue, great missions...  It's a lot more than what you thought.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've played for 10 hours and can't figure out the story, or the point.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you go to the story mission start points or just run around?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Basically you play characters who act decent at times but repeatedly get talked into doing unbelievably evil acts.  You have to just accept that it is mindless fun and go with it.

Or just do crazy stuff like steal a jet at the airport and land it on the freeway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to visit the different way points on your radar to do things in the story line. The way points will change based on who you need to see next. Start doing that and you'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Did you go to the story mission starts or just run around?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you go to the story mission starts or just run around?

I've done a few missions.  Stole some cars and chased my boat on the highway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought 1-4 were just okay. 5 was totally different, much better.

I played it on 360, still a great game.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You need to visit the different way points on your radar to do things in the story line. The way points will change based on who you need to see next.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to visit the different way points on your radar to do things in the story line. The way points will change based on who you need to see next.

The fact that someone could play for 10 hours and not even technically start the game is a testament to how amazing the world is.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the beginning.  The story ends up involving multiple characters and their struggles with corrupt federal agencies, organised crime,  their families and relationships, a private military contractor, and a lot more.  I went into it thinking that it was just going to be running around acting like a thug with no real story, I was pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The fact that someone could play for 10 hours and not even technically start the game is a testament to how amazing the world is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't connect with the thug life character.  I prefer other RPGs where you play the hero.  Being a black dude in the ghetto is not entertaining to me, nor is being a white ex-con.

RPG's are about immersion and character connection.  I don't empathize with career criminals living the thug life.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are people like you out there. That's not a bad thing. But you guys want a linear, structured game with discrete parts. Had an extremely intelligent buddy in college that couldn't stand open world games.

The beauty of GTA3+, Fallout, Elder Scrolls (Skyirm/Oblivion), Red Dead Redemption, and Borderlands games is that there is no set path. You have multiple missions available at any time that you are not necessarily forced to do in any order. You can create your own adventure however you see fit. Don't get me wrong, the missions are fun as well and GTAV has a good story (own it for ps3 and ps4.

Go to the strip club in the game and jump on the stage. Try to get out alive. You should have a big shit-eating grin on your face.
Run over pedestrians.  Try to rob the gas station and get away. It's a fun fantasy world where you do things you'd never do in real life. Even more fun when you start flying.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's the beginning.  The story ends up involving multiple characters and their struggles with corrupt federal agencies, organised crime,  their families and relationships, a private military contractor, and a lot more.  I went into it thinking that it was just going to be running around acting like a thug with no real story, I was pleasantly surprised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, now this is important information.  

If it's actually more than just rape, armed robbery, murder and rape, I might give it another chance.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are people like you out there. That's not a bad thing. But you guys want a linear, structured game with discrete parts. Had an extremely intelligent buddy in college that couldn't stand open world games.

The beauty of GTA3+, Fallout, Elder Scrolls (Skyirm/Oblivion), Red Dead Redemption, and Borderlands games is that there is no set path. You have multiple missions available at any time that you are not necessarily forced to do in any order. You can create your own adventure however you see fit. Don't get me wrong, the missions are fun as well and GTAV has a good story (own it for ps3 and ps4.

Go to the strip club in the game and jump on the stage. Try to get out alive. You should have a big shit-eating grin on your face.
Run over pedestrians.  Try to rob the gas station and get away. It's a fun fantasy world where you do things you'd never do in real life. Even more fun when you start flying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Open world games are my favorite.  I detest linear games.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the first several missions are to get you familiar with the mechanics of the game more than anything. Once you get into the story, I would be surprised if you still said you regretted getting it hondaciv.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If it's actually more than just rape, armed robbery, murder and rape, I might give it another chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait until you get to the heists...

There's also GTA Online, with shit to do there as well (and more heists).
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get a third character soon and he really lives things up. He's the murderingist,  rapeningist, most meth cooking gun running bastard conceivable,  but he is hilarious- like when he kidnaps a cartel boss's wife and they fall in love.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would definitely suggest completing the game's story.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have it on 360, it is a hell of a lot of fun. Way better than GTA4, IMO.
View Quote

Also, now that I'm done participating in the thread hijack, this is my answer OP
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a blast with GTA4, I loved it.  I have to admit that I have a harder time with 5.  I enjoyed the story in 4, but the whole hood/ghetto aspect in 5 kind of gets on my nerves like it did in GTASA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After seeing all his posts in this thread, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he doesn't even want to understand.  Excellent explanation though, I have the game on PC and the modding has only just begun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I loved having 3 main characters, and the shenanigans Trevor was always up to when you switched from a different player to his view.

Personal favorite of mine, the game switched me to him for a mission at the strip club. He came walking out of a hotel room wearing a slutty bloody dress, and I couldn't change him before going to the strip club. So he got a lapdance in a bloody hooker dress.

Another time, he was passed out in the middle of the wilderness only wearing shoes and underwear. I stole a motorcycle when we got to the highway. Not sure where he was carrying the rifle I used to carry the driver though....
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After 10 hours you should have already figured that out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just don't connect with the thug life character.  I prefer other RPGs where you play the hero.  Being a black dude in the ghetto is not entertaining to me, nor is being a white ex-con.

RPG's are about immersion and character connection.  I don't empathize with career criminals living the thug life.
View Quote

Oh God, then you better burn the discs before you meet Trevor!

At some point in the game you'll also torture someone with various tools including electricity, waterboarding, pliers(for teeth), and a hammer. How anyone could buy this game not knowing what it involves is mind boggling.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said rape twice..
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had a blast with GTA4, I loved it.  I have to admit that I have a harder time with 5.  I enjoyed the story in 4, but the whole hood/ghetto aspect in 5 kind of gets on my nerves like it did in GTASA.
View Quote

Niko was a decent human being, unlike every other gta protag. It does make an interesting contrast.

Well, sort of decent.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean murdering a hooker to get your money back right after you banged her isn't an interesting gaming experience to you?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck yea, I'm addicted to it on PS3. Online is fucking amazing, I haven't played single player in several months. The new heists are bad ass. Best game ever.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You said rape twice..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You said rape twice..

"I like rape."
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#39]
OP, you want a copy? My 360 took a dirt nap and the game is just sitting here collecting dust. PM me if interested!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Niko was a decent human being, unlike every other gta protag. It does make an interesting contrast.

Well, sort of decent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, sort of decent.

I couldn't finish 4 on PC, but I look forward to buying 5 when it goes on sale for a good deal. I agree that Niko was overall a better person, but I think you are missing that all the playable characters in 5 have their good sides and bad sides. They all care for each other and take care of family, but you are constantly reminded that they all have some really messed up personality traits as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#41]
This would be single player only.

Sounds like I'll add it to my next Amazon order.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I couldn't finish 4 on PC, but I look forward to buying 5 when it goes on sale for a good deal. I agree that Niko was overall a better person, but I think you are missing that all the playable characters in 5 have their good sides and bad sides. They all care for each other and take care of family, but you are constantly reminded that they all have some really messed up personality traits as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, sort of decent.

All three MCs in 5 were unrepentantly criminal. Franklin had some issues with just shooting people with wild abandon, but he admitted to Lamar several times that he had no problem killing people over gang fights. Michael clearly wasn't bothered in the slightest by wanton destruction and murder- the only times he shied away from it were when his family was in trouble, or when he thought he would be biting off more than he could chew (like with Madrazo). Trevor clearly gave no fucks at all.

They all had their humanizing elements, but Niko was trying to get out of the game the whole time in GTA4- he just kept getting dragged back in, either because Roman was getting in trouble and he needed to bail him out, or to take care of favors for the people that would have killed Roman if he didn't. In contrast, the three protagonists of GTA5 were actively searching for more and bigger scores the entire time. None of them had any real desire to go "legit". We see from Life Invader pages in 5 that Niko, on the other hand, dropped off the criminal radar not terribly long after the events of 4, and cut ties with Packie as well, and clearly is doing well.

That said, none of them are great people- Luis in Ballad of Gay Tony wasn't a bad guy, I suppose, just another victim of circumstance like Niko, but the heroes of 5 were pretty much unrepentant dickbags. Very funny and well characterized unrepentant dickbags, but dickbags nonetheless. The fact Trevor spent most of the game so sullen at Michael, and then had his outburst about how nobody cared for him, was pretty touching.

I really can't see any "good sides" to the protagonists in 5. Michael... likes his family, even though he emotionally abuses them because he's clinically depressed? Trevor... generally stands up for women who are being abused because of childhood trauma even though he regularly murderrapecannibalizes them? Franklin... is pretty much ambivalent because he was the least fleshed out character? I guess he stands up for his friends, but that's about it. Not exactly "good" aspects, just normal human ones.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:28:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All three MCs in 5 were unrepentantly criminal. Franklin had some issues with just shooting people with wild abandon, but he admitted to Lamar several times that he had no problem killing people over gang fights. Michael clearly wasn't bothered in the slightest by wanton destruction and murder- the only times he shied away from it were when his family was in trouble, or when he thought he would be biting off more than he could chew (like with Madrazo). Trevor clearly gave no fucks at all.

They all had their humanizing elements, but Niko was trying to get out of the game the whole time in GTA4- he just kept getting dragged back in, either because Roman was getting in trouble and he needed to bail him out, or to take care of favors for the people that would have killed Roman if he didn't. In contrast, the three protagonists of GTA5 were actively searching for more and bigger scores the entire time. None of them had any real desire to go "legit". We see from Life Invader pages in 5 that Niko, on the other hand, dropped off the criminal radar not terribly long after the events of 4, and cut ties with Packie as well, and clearly is doing well.

That said, none of them are great people- Luis in Ballad of Gay Tony wasn't a bad guy, I suppose, just another victim of circumstance like Niko, but the heroes of 5 were pretty much unrepentant dickbags. Very funny and well characterized unrepentant dickbags, but dickbags nonetheless. The fact Trevor spent most of the game so sullen at Michael, and then had his outburst about how nobody cared for him, was pretty touching.

I really can't see any "good sides" to the protagonists in 5. Michael... likes his family, even though he emotionally abuses them because he's clinically depressed? Trevor... generally stands up for women who are being abused because of childhood trauma even though he regularly murderrapecannibalizes them? Franklin... is pretty much ambivalent because he was the least fleshed out character? I guess he stands up for his friends, but that's about it. Not exactly "good" aspects, just normal human ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, sort of decent.

What's in red is what makes this game so damned good, IMHO, YMMV
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:35:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, sort of decent.

Packie lives in Los Santos now. He's a part of my heist crew. You meet him in one of those random encounters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You mean murdering a hooker to get your money back right after you banged her isn't an interesting gaming experience to you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will likely come out with a mod where you can write poetry with the hooker and then adopt her. Is that better?  

Edit: Bow to PC Master Race: http://imgur.com/gallery/ynp5xgz
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Packie lives in Los Santos now. He's a part of my heist crew. You meet him in one of those random encounters.
View Quote

Yeah, that's why I said Niko had cut ties with him- Packie says he thinks Niko is probably dead (but in one of the missions we catch a glimpse of his life invader page that proves to the contrary).
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Ordered! Should be here Friday. Do I need an Internet connection to do single player?  Like an initial install?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I was offering to give it to you for free..
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I was offering to give it to you for free..
View Quote

Oh snap, didn't see that! Thanks for the offer though. Guess I should read my threads a bit more closely.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top