BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2015 7:44:43 PM EDT
Anyone ever shoot schedule 40 pipe.

I am rebuilding the range and using 1 1/4" Black steel Gas pipe for the frame

So for pistol rds you think the pipe and fittings will hold up?

They really aren't supposed to get shot but we know how that works out.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
i find it better to use cheap wood that can be easily replaced and won't ricochet
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Pipe isn't hardened. Most pistol rounds will deflect, bounce off, or dent it.  Some pistol rounds will blow through it like hot butter.  Think about it.......223 pistols, TC pistols in rifle calibers, etc.

I think our range cover is 4x6 structural steel posts or I beams..

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll blow it all the pieces in the first few hits.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i find it better to use cheap wood that can be easily replaced and won't ricochet
View Quote

And this....

ETA......we used sch 40 pipe as long range air rifles in the shops to shoot electrical connectors at the pigeons in the ceilings with compressed air.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I find that metal studs screwed to 4x4s  work about as well as anything.

Studs from the ground up with 5/4 deck boards spanning the studs top and bottom of target. (easy to stick tacks into for paper targets)

When a stud gets too bad, just replace it with another. They screw together so they're good as new.

Really light and easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This
I guess we'll see shortly

I can't see 9mm & .45 blowing holes in Black gas pipe from 25 yards

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I think they were talking about PVC.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I have to imagine they are thinking PVC.

9mm or .45acp are not going to puncture black iron pipe unless you happen to get the same place a couple of times.

I would however be a little concerned about ricochet, have been hit with a few.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this.  I use Sched 40 in my work as well as shoot on a range which includes building and re building target frames and PVC pipe would make a dangerous mess.  PVC, when hit with a bullet or backhoe tooth, shatters into near razor sharp pieces.  You could easily dress and skin a wild hog with a piece of broken PVC pipe.
Not bio degradable and would leave a white mess as bad as broken glass.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
DID YOU SAY SCHEDULE 40 POT?!  NOT TODAY BUSTER!!  WE'RE NOT INTERESTED IN SHOOTING UP ANY OF YOUR FILTHY POT HERE!

/calls cops

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]
1-1/4" Sch 40 is like 0.140" thick.

I've shot 10ga (0.135") plate with 9mm and 45ACP. It dented somewhat. Mild .357 cast loads dented it heavily. I'd imagine the pipe will be perforated pretty soon.

Don't shoot the frame.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

9mm or .45acp are not going to puncture black iron pipe unless you happen to get the same place a couple of times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Picture the main frame of the target stand 10' wide, like a swing set

10" gongs on the bottom row, 8" gongs on the top row on swing bars so they swing front to back

each end top rail extends out 2' on each side with a 12' gongs , one on each side (at 25 yards)

At 10 yards the dueling tree will be centered

Out at further distances there will be other gongs , a 20" and a few others  

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Ball ammo will poke holes. Light lead target rounds will dent/damage. Will not last.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Yep.
Yeah but right there in the OP I said

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I use PVC pipe, it's cheap and super easy to have extra pipe and fitting on hand to cut on the spot if it takes a hit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah but right there in the OP I said

View Quote

Wait a minute, it only said "Gas pipe" before the edit,  which should have been enough of a clue, but was overlooked.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
How about welding an angle on the forward face for added beef and deflection - like this:

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Black iron pipe is not going to last long in this role.  It's expensive too. How about bending rebar?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I've used iron pipe for stands and they mostly held up fine. A good hit with rifle FMJ meant replacing a section, but pistol I never had a problem.
And cows will tear the shit out of those things.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
DID YOU SAY SCHEDULE 40 POT?!  NOT TODAY BUSTER!!  WE'RE NOT INTERESTED IN SHOOTING UP ANY OF YOUR FILTHY POT HERE!

/calls cops

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Rifle JHPs will mess it up too. I've destroyed enough black iron and mild angle iron to not consider it for long-term use.  im not sure 90 degree angle iron will hold up either.  It might need to be a shallower angle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought a but load of t post hangers from jcsteel.  They may be the best thing ever if they're half as good as I hope.

I want targets I can move easily without much risk of frame damage. replacing 2x4 gets old. I shoot a lot of lead and the fragments tear it up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Bet you get a couple years out of it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Should have used cast iron pipe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Cast iron is brittle.  Not sure it would be a good choice either.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

How about welding an angle on the forward face for added beef and deflection - like this:

http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/159963083.ZlkYE67R.pipeangle.jpg

View Quote
We are putting that on the front of the dueling tree

I'm not too worried about ricochets from the round pipe, good Idea though, I'll check into it

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Black iron pipe is not going to last long in this role.  It's expensive too. How about bending rebar?  

View Quote
Why do you think it won't last

It's getting prepped with Black rustolium , we are using 1 1/4" pipe

Think of a 10' wide swing set with an upper level and lower level of steel plates suspended by steel rods

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Rifle JHPs will mess it up too. I've destroyed enough black iron and mild angle iron to not consider it for long-term use.  im not sure 90 degree angle iron will hold up either.  It might need to be a shallower angle.
View Quote
What part of 9 mm & .45 did you not read?

We have a different set up for rifle

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

You'll see it soon enough.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part of the post two above mind did you not read?  I saw your setup is for pistol.  Calm down...have a drink.  

Pistol will still bust it up.  It will dent, bend, and eventually break at the seam. It's cheap-ass mild steel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Studs from the ground up with 5/4 deck boards spanning the studs top and bottom of target. (easy to stick tacks into for paper targets)

When a stud gets too bad, just replace it with another. They screw together so they're good as new.

View Quote

Interdasting.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry OP it will be FINE for those cal. pistol rounds

Hate to shatter all the non shooters notions of how powerful their pistol is  -  BUT you don't need AR500 for pistol or SG rounds

Sorry about the vertical video - can't run the phone cam with one hand and shoot with the other

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/159963083.ZlkYE67R.pipeangle.jpg

View Quote

This. I've seen this on older ranges where they put hardened steel around the weight supporting beam to protect it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hate to shatter all the non shooters notions of how powerful their pistol is  -  BUT you don't need AR500 for pistol or SG rounds

Sorry about the vertical video - can't run the phone cam with one hand and shoot with the other
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOB6NErchcg
View Quote

1 1/4 OD black iron pipe wall is a little more than 1/8" thick mild steel.  Defense caliber pistol rounds will deform and break 3/16" mild A36 in short order, especially if used on a high-volume range.  ive shot more stuff in the past 15 years than probably 75% of this forum.  And I'm far from a "non shooter".
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I built 3/4" Sch 40 PVC target stands.  They are 2' wide by 4' high.  I made the base 2' by 4' and filled the base pieces with mortar.  They don't blow over.  The pieces are pushed together, no glue.  I can put them together and take them apart for transport and storage.

I never thought that anybody could hit 3/4" pipe at 100 yards.  The guy 5 lanes over proves me wrong every time.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#38]
bed frames from the recycle center and the welder
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What part of the post two above mind did you not read?  I saw your setup is for pistol.  Calm down...have a drink.  

Pistol will still bust it up.  It will dent, bend, and eventually break at the seam. It's cheap-ass mild steel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
1 1/4 OD black iron pipe wall is a little more than 1/8" thick mild steel.  Defense caliber pistol rounds will deform and break 3/16" mild A36 in short order, especially if used on a high-volume range.  ive shot more stuff in the past 15 years than probably 75% of this forum.  And I'm far from a "non shooter".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The black pipe is the frame which will take splatter and an occasion hit , also how ,amy hits are direct dead center of the pipe ?

That matters and these are pistol rds, one of us will be proven right as soon as I assemble the whole thing

even so, if it becomes a problem (I doubt it) I can always do what someone suggested and put on angle iron to protect the frame  

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The black pipe is the frame which will take splatter and an occasion hit , also how ,amy hits are direct dead center of the pipe ?
That matters and these are pistol rds, one of us will be proven right as soon as I assemble the whole thing
even so, if it becomes a problem (I doubt it) I can always do what someone suggested and put on angle iron to protect the frame  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, let's get this straight.  You ask a question, because you don't have the slightest idea about the effects shooting thin iron pipe.  All of a sudden, after a mix of a few opinions, you now know for certain you're idea was right all along, and you didn't need anyone to disagree with you.  Sound about right?  If you "know" direct hits don't matter, and you know it "matters" whether a pistol round is involved, why ask the question?  Sounds to me like you just wanted someone to back your idea and give you a pat on the back.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Is this for a club range, or your own personal range?

If it's just personal use its going to hold up a while.  If it's seeing any kind of heavy use, it is going to get dangerous fast.  Hits on the pipe are going to leave a good dent.  Follow on hits in the dents will make holes and could cause erratic richocets.  Even if the pipe is a decent distance away from the gongs it will get hit.  

If it's for yourself and a couple friends, go with it as is, add angle iron later if necessary in the heavy wear spots.

If it's going to receive heavy use add 1/4" angle iron to the pipe now.  It will be much easier to do on clean pipe than adding it later to pipe that is dented, bent and full holes.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Interdasting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interdasting.

The studs are tougher than you might think(Hell, even 10 mm won't hurt it much) and the best part is you don't have to worry about anything coming back at you.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I made my target stands from old bed frames and chicken wire backing.   Just kept an eye open and had friends look at yard sales, craigs list ect.   Spring steel angle irons with the seam pointed to the shooter so it deflected.    Has taken hits, they are wide enough stands that the paper is held up by chicken wire, can take a lot of shots and still hold paper and takes a pretty bad miss to hit the stand.   Maybe have $20 tied up in it, a few where give away.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Tried black iron pipe. .223 shatters it. Costly to build and maintain. Started bending up rebar and welding it. Cheap hard to damage holds up real well. Use it as the frame. Collect cardboard squares and use spray contact cement to put targets on cardboard. Everyone likes the idea. Wind up giving them away in exchange for shooting on some ones property. Easy to just spray old target on cardboard and slap another target over it. Change out the cardboard every so often.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

So, let's get this straight.  You ask a question, because you don't have the slightest idea about the effects shooting thin iron pipe.  All of a sudden, after a mix of a few opinions, you now know for certain you're idea was right all along, and you didn't need anyone to disagree with you.  Sound about right?  If you "know" direct hits don't matter, and you know it "matters" whether a pistol round is involved, why ask the question?  Sounds to me like you just wanted someone to back your idea and give you a pat on the back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, after some posts I started researching what people here said and separated the BS from the truth

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Is this for a club range, or your own personal range?

If it's just personal use its going to hold up a while.  If it's seeing any kind of heavy use, it is going to get dangerous fast.  Hits on the pipe are going to leave a good dent.  Follow on hits in the dents will make holes and could cause erratic richocets.  Even if the pipe is a decent distance away from the gongs it will get hit.  

If it's for yourself and a couple friends, go with it as is, add angle iron later if necessary in the heavy wear spots.

If it's going to receive heavy use add 1/4" angle iron to the pipe now.  It will be much easier to do on clean pipe than adding it later to pipe that is dented, bent and full holes.

View Quote
It's our own range, we shoot pistols up to 50 yards , separate set up for rifle

I think the angle iron cover is a good idea, I'll have a welder we know Tack weld it strong enough to hold it in place, I don't weld anything any more, enough little white scars on my arms

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Tried black iron pipe. .223 shatters it. Costly to build and maintain. Started bending up rebar and welding it. Cheap hard to damage holds up real well. Use it as the frame. Collect cardboard squares and use spray contact cement to put targets on cardboard. Everyone likes the idea. Wind up giving them away in exchange for shooting on some ones property. Easy to just spray old target on cardboard and slap another target over it. Change out the cardboard every so often.
View Quote
This is our pistol range only, we very rarely shoot paper on the pistol range, mostly reactive targets

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Probably cheaper to just build it out of angle steel, skip the pipe.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No, after some posts I started researching what people here said and separated the BS from the truth

View Quote

Got it.  Didn't know the first thing about what you were talking about, so you posted a question on a gun board.  Heard what you wanted to hear, then decided you would "research what others here said" for an hour, now you're an expert.  Everyone else is stupid.  This makes total sense to an adolescent.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top