Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/5/2015 6:21:23 PM EDT
I was driving home from work today, sitting in traffic, talking to my brother on the phone about bringing my truck in to his dealership for service on Saturday.

I was in the second from the far left lane which was HOV at that time. I saw a cop drive by me in the HOV lane, pull over to the shoulder, then pull me over for talking on the phone while driving. This is illegal in MD. But so is driving in the HOV lane with one person in the car. My buddy got hit for a stupid expensive ticket a couple years ago because he was in the HOV lane by himself.

Wtf?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Police can use the HOV lane.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was driving home from work today, sitting in traffic, talking to my brother on the phone about bringing my truck in to his dealership for service on Saturday.

I was in the second from the far left lane which was HOV at that time. I saw a cop drive by me in the HOV lane, pull over to the shoulder, then pull me over for talking on the phone while driving. This is illegal in MD. But so is driving in the HOV lane with one person in the car. My buddy got hit for a stupid expensive ticket a couple years ago because he was in the HOV lane by himself.

Wtf?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Take it to court. Tell them you weren't talking on the phone, just looking at google maps.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't de-rail a good bash
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Here, the Police can use the HOV lane.

Go hands free with your phone or don't make calls when you're driving.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Exceptions in the traffic code for emergency vehicles. It's a thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
almost everywhere I have seen an hov lane emergency vehicles are also exempt
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Go go gadget CCW! (I haven't gotten a ticket yet)
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Cops are above the law.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Really?
Come on OP.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Cops get to talk on the phone while driving too...

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Ticket lawyer.  You are going to pay that money to the state or to a business.  It's your choice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wtf?
View Quote

What makes you think the police are not exempt from using the HOV lane when only one person is in the police car?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]
How dare you question the kings men, doing the kings business, on the kings highway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if I'll ever get pulled over for using my "hands free head phones". I ain't listening to music occifer, I'm waiting on a phone call!

CUCV don't have a radio
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bash? This is what you consider bashing?  The LBGT community has thicker skin than you if you think this is a bash thread. I was confused. I can understand if they're running lights and siren and need to get somewhere quick. But just driving along, I would think they'd have to follow the same road laws as everyone else. Especially in rush hour. That lane is made exclusively for multiple passengers at certain times of the day. Motorcycles are the only exemption that I know of in this state.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Cops get special rules so they can pull you over and collect fines to fill state coffers.  Think about all the lives saved by you being prevented from driving in certain lanes.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Wow, check out the reflection of her hair!

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This

Quoted:
Take it to court. Tell them you weren't talking on the phone, just looking at google maps.

and this

Law: VTL
Class: V
Code: 1225(d)1
Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall operate a motor vehicle while using any portable electronic device while such vehicle is in motion.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, there's a reason MD is hated.  It's liberal.

Something liberals do is detract attention from their own bad actions and deflect it top what they think is someone else's.

Anti-authority much?

I give this thread until page 2 for lockdown.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What makes you think the police are not exempt from using the HOV lane when only one person is in the police car?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

What makes you think they are?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I got pulled over by an IRATE TPD motorcycle officer this morning for going thru a yellow light. he ranted and raved at me looked at my license and CCW card.

then said..
I would give you a ticket but I'm going to a call and walked off.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#26]
"I found out later they were pulling over every car that was driving down that sidewalk, and that's profiling...and that's wrong."
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

State Law that says so?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is about like saying I was driving 70 in a 55 but the cop made a illegal u turn to pull me over. Really OP?
View Quote

Yeah, that's exactly it.

I was moving about 10 mph, left elbow on the door, taking on the phone with both eyes on the road. I'm a fucking danger to society.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
And when the subpoena your phone records.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For a traffic ticket?

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#31]
OP didn't do nothing.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#32]
The fuck is a hov lane?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Something liberals do is detract attention from their own bad actions and deflect it top what they think is someone else's.

Anti-authority much?

View Quote

A Virginia resident posting in a thread about traffic laws in another state. Holy shit. That is fucking rich.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The fuck is a hov lane?
View Quote
High Occupancy Vehicle.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Where in MD?  What agency?  Just curious - no advice to offer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got pulled over while looking at google maps when I was back in Massachusetts. State cop was flew up on the left hand side of the highway, saw me on the phone, and pulled me over.

State cop: Do you know why I pulled you over.
Me: Sorry,was on google maps trying to find the exit for blah blah shopping center.
State Cop: Looked like you were texting. Says, you have a LTC, are you carrying?
Me: Yes Sir, G19.
State Cop: Do you need any further directions to find your exit.
Me. No Sir
State cop: You and your girlfriend have a safe night, try to stay off the cell phone.

CSB and all.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

State Law that says so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

State Law that says so?

Got a link/reference?

I'd be more than happy to eat crow, but in my 25 years in this state, I've never heard about that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#38]
More equal person
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Where in MD?  What agency?  Just curious - no advice to offer.
View Quote

270 North, Montgomery County police.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#40]
My OP dint do nuffin!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Thats the "some animals are more equal lane."
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For a traffic ticket?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Pics/lebowski_leads_.png

No....because a vindictive prosecutor want's to fuck you for perjury.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
High Occupancy Vehicle.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fuck is a hov lane?
High Occupancy Vehicle.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#44]
In GA, LEOs are exempt from texting and driving too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The fuck is a hov lane?
View Quote

Only something from the mind of a fucktard liberal could dream up. One lane is for 2+ occupants or motorcycles only. In the brilliant liberal mind, this means people rideshare.

In reality, all it does is take up a perfectly good lane, or asshole cops that are also using the lane but feel the need to go completely across traffic and give someone shit who's minding their own business.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A Virginia resident posting in a thread about traffic laws in another state. Holy shit. That is fucking rich.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anti-authority much?

I also own a home in Maryland.  Keep talking, you're doing great.

Might also add I've handed a few tickets out to assholes operating phones and failing to pay full time attention.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cops are above the law.
View Quote

FUCK YES WE ARE...

Cool story OP... now go pay that fine like a good citizen...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#48]
If only there were some kind of cell phone accessory that allowed you talk on the phone without holding the phone to your ear, or better yet, if such a device were integrated into a car...
Imagine the possibilities...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would think they'd have to follow the same road laws as everyone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think they'd have to follow the same road laws as everyone else.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#50]
All these distracted driving laws are tarded. If you can't drive and talk on the phone you shouldn't drive in the first place.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top