Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/5/2015 11:34:26 AM EDT
Prolly a dupe and no I didn't search...but I do like to watch GD burn every now & then...

Linky

And Consumer Reports rates it a turd, too
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That ought to slow down sales.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Prolly a dupe and no I didn't search...but I do like to watch GD burn every now & then...

Linky
View Quote

Forget the new ones. I'll find a nice used one. But won't spend a penny over $19,000
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
its a 10 year old design.  its to be expected...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a fan of jap trucks but come on bitching about a pickups ride.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#8]
That smells of GM shill reporting.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Arfcom has just divided their basements with zero.

Much mountain dew will be shed and much cheetos will be pillaged over this article.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#10]
From the article its because of the Colorado and Canyon. Which im not surprised

Lower price point relatively same packages why wouldn't you go that route

Tacoma owner here

(Ive heard rumors that GM will make the a Colorado in a diesel format which really wont look good for Toyota)
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering that they have one of their own cars on there and some other assisted cars, I'd have to disagree.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Yup. Overpriced and overrated. Toyota is really milking their reputation right now, while their products continue to decline.

Was looking at a crossover, the RAV 4 came in 6th place in a recent comparison. It will still sell 2nd most of any crossover.

Camry came in 4th place in midsize comparison. #1 in sales. Why? Reputation.

Worst thing is they haven't updated the Tacoma in 10 years, but they have increased the price nearly 20% and people are still buying them. $40,000 for a midsize truck with cloth seats? Can tow a whole 5,000 lbs?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Forget the new ones. I'll find a nice used one. But won't spend a penny over $19,000
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linky

I've got just the perfect truck for you.  Brand new frame and everything.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That ought to slow down sales.
View Quote

Nah they still come with a bed full of 10 year old Kool-Aid to drive sales.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#17]
1 "American made" and the rest foreign.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#18]
"GM's new mid-sizers, the Canyon and Colorado, are much better choices in virtually every dimension."

Get back to me in 5 years, let alone 20.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Most American consumers care about fancy seats, cool gizmos and fuel economy. For those of us who prefer simplicity and reliability, vehicles that are redesigned infrequently like the Tacoma are very attractive. It takes a few years to work out kinks in designs, and infrequent redesigns increases parts compatibility over a wider range of model years.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone notice how almost all the cars on that list look the same?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yup. Overpriced and overrated. Toyota is really milking their reputation right now, while their products continue to decline.

Was looking at a crossover, the RAV 4 came in 6th place in a recent comparison. It will still sell 2nd most of any crossover.

Worst thing is they haven't updated the Tacoma in 10 years, but they have increased the price nearly 20% and people are still buying them. $40,000 for a midsize truck with cloth seats? Can tow a whole 5,000 lbs?
View Quote

Basically what you said in red is spot on.  I can't imagine paying 40k for a midsize pickup with crap features.  I can get a full sized pickup with better options for that price and can tow/haul a lot more.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Toyota guys will still buy Toyotas
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Not surprised.  My dad's 14 is a rattle trap rides like crap.  Lousy fuel economy too.  And the inside looks like it was designed in the mid 90s.  Still the best truck he's ever bought, according to him.  There is honestly nothing great or special about a Tacoma, except for the dishonest reputation driven by insecure fanbois.  

I've been saying it for over a decade now.  Toyota is overrated junk.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#24]
It's a 10 year old design. The only competition it has is the frontier, another 10 year old design and the Colorado/canyon which are completely new this year.

That being said I wasn't impressed with tacomas 10 years ago. A truck engine that requires premium fuel can pound sand.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever ridden in one?  They feel loose and wobbly.  Nobody is expecting a Cadillac ride like you're insinuating.  Although my Ram rides better than any other vehicles I've been in.  Well it did before the ATs and lift.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Basically what you said in red is spot on.  I can't imagine paying 40k for a midsize pickup with crap features.  I can get a full sized pickup with better options for that price and can tow/haul a lot more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you have no competition why should you change and mark up? Isnt that supply and demand. I bet Toyota will sit for a couple of years on a whole new design. It really depends where the Canyon and Colorado go. Something terrible could and can happen (major recall etc) and many might flock back to Toyota. Only time will tell.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  People who value reliability and longevity will act this way.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Toyota produces ho-hum automobiles at obscene prices, with limited features and less capability than their competitors, oftentimes with no guarantee for reliability.

Shit, my wife's '08 Scion with 96k miles has needed two wheel hubs, a water pump, a battery, the steering wheel position sensor constantly needs re-calibration, and a $2,000 ABS brake actuator module.  It also needs a new master and slave cylinder and clutch plate, and new struts.   Most all the electronics are dealer-only serviceable and require a pricey trip to a Toyota dealer for maintenance. This is this third time I've paid the premium and tried to go Toyota, and the third time I've been burned.  

At least the '01 Saturn made it to 200k miles before it gave up for good, requiring only routine maintenance, a starter, and wear items.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#29]
They dissed the TACO???

What's next, are they coming after SHOTTYS?

How will I shoot 'Yotes? You can't shoot your SHOTTY at YOTES unless you're doing it from a TACO!!!

blithering idiots...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Good thing the 2016 is right around the corner.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Full Disclosure. I own a 2008 Nissan Frontier. We expected to buy a Tacoma, I was a Toyota fan and had owned a couple previously.  We went to the Toyota Dealership first. I am my wife both drove it, and left shaking our heads. It was not comfortable or nice at all. Went over to the Nissan Dealership and to me the difference was night and day. And we got a better deal.

I wonder how many Toyota fanboys have taken the time to actually compare the competition and see what they are getting for their money.

Do the Tacomas still have drum brakes in the rear?

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  People who value reliability and longevity will act this way.
View Quote

As if the Nissan is so much worse?  Sure, this thing handles like crap, and the engine sucks. But it runs forever!  Wouldn't you rather enjoy the journey?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Not surprising, the Taco is way over due for an upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Most American consumers care about fancy seats, cool gizmos and fuel economy. For those of us who prefer simplicity and reliability, vehicles that are redesigned infrequently like the Tacoma are very attractive. It takes a few years to work out kinks in designs, and infrequent redesigns increases parts compatibility over a wider range of model years.
View Quote

Toyota can't even build a frame that doesn't rot.  Keep telling yourself they don't add creature comfort for increased reliability.  Guess the kool-aid tastes good

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ever ridden in one?  They feel loose and wobbly.  Nobody is expecting a Cadillac ride like you're insinuating.  Although my Ram rides better than any other vehicles I've been in.  Well it did before the ATs and lift.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"GM's new mid-sizers, the Canyon and Colorado, are much better choices in virtually every dimension."

Get back to me in 5 years, let alone 20.
View Quote

Yup. Let's see how many of those are still running strong at 300k miles.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your link is the suck.

ETA: You fixed it too quick.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Clickbait...not clicking it.

ETA: drove my '95 Taco for 205,000 hard miles without any major component failure. Brakes, tires, batteries, shocks, catalytic converter and a starter. They are overpriced however.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

All the modern half-tons ride and handle like a dream, while throwing down similar or better mileage, double the power, more room, better payload and towing, bigger brakes, more creature comforts, and do it all without riding like a wagon over a washboard.

They usually will sticker for less, too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

All the modern half-tons ride and handle like a dream, while throwing down similar or better mileage, double the power, more room, better payload and towing, bigger brakes, more creature comforts, and do it all without riding like a wagon over a washboard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But.... Tacoma!

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Consumer reports:
The Tacoma remains a workhorse compact pickup. Fuel economy is competitive, but clumsy handling makes it a chore to drive long distances. The 4.0-liter V6 provides strong performance but is noisy. However, the incessantly jiggly ride grows fatiguing, and it's particularly stiff with the TRD suspension package. The cabin's high floor and low roof makes access tricky, and the driving position is too low and uncomfortable. Towing and off-road capabilities are better than most of the competition. The Tacoma has been reliable, but it scores too low in our testing to be recommended. A redesign hits the market in late 2015.
View Quote

Ride, handling, comfort, value? Who cares?
Reliability, that's all that matters.

How long do most Americans keep their vehicles?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not agreeing here...

I just spent 15 minutes over at GMC and Toyota...tried to build 2 nearly identical trucks, could not get leather on the taco...but pretty damn close builds...Crew Cab, 4x4, Mid level packaging,  Navigation and premium sound...Toyota came in nearly $6000 LESS
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Your link is the suck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your link is the suck.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Yet after you scroll through the next Yahoo listical is Edmunds Top Recommended trucks for 2015 and Tacoma is #3 on the list...

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/edmunds-top-recommended-trucks-of-c1429840340793/photo-compact-truck-photo-1429840908472.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
From the article its because of the Colorado and Canyon. Which im not surprised

Lower price point relatively same packages why wouldn't you go that route

Tacoma owner here

(Ive heard rumors that GM will make the a Colorado in a diesel format which really wont look good for Toyota)
View Quote

You would still spend more on the Taco because you would expect greater reliability and longevity out of it.  I notice the article doesn't mention that factor.  Of course it's rather difficult to realistically rate new vehicles on longevity...

That's Toyota and GM both reaping the benefits of their respective reputations.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Toyota produces ho-hum automobiles at obscene prices, with limited features and less capability than their competitors, oftentimes with no guarantee for reliability.

Shit, my wife's '08 Scion with 96k miles has needed two wheel hubs, a water pump, a battery, the steering wheel position sensor constantly needs re-calibration, and a $2,000 ABS brake actuator module.  It also needs a new master and slave cylinder and clutch plate, and new struts.   Most all the electronics are dealer-only serviceable and require a pricey trip to a Toyota dealer for maintenance. This is this third time I've paid the premium and tried to go Toyota, and the third time I've been burned.  

At least the '01 Saturn made it to 200k miles before it gave up for good, requiring only routine maintenance, a starter, and wear items.
View Quote

You can't list a battery as a complainable item.  Those need replacing every 4-6 years in any car
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I would like to congratulate you on making a bit of sense, I must ask: didn't you get banned?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You can't list a battery as a complainable item.  Those need replacing every 4-6 years in any car
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, let's strike the battery off the list, guess everything else is totally acceptable.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yet after you scroll through the next Yahoo listical is Edmunds Top Recommended trucks for 2015 and Tacoma is #3 on the list...

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/edmunds-top-recommended-trucks-of-c1429840340793/photo-compact-truck-photo-1429840908472.html
View Quote

#3 out of 3? That's the worst.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#50]
This is the same rag that rated a Mustang 5.0 with a performance rating of 9 out of 10 and the Honda Fit an 8 out of 10 in the same test (The outback was scored a 7)

The MKZ was a 9 too
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top