Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2001 9:39:55 AM EDT
I have been looking at some Bushmaster AR-15's and I am having a hard time deciding on which one would suit me best. This will be my first rifle purchase and I may not have the luxury of having many different models, so I aam looking for something "all around" if there is such a thing. I do wonder about 16" inch versus 20" barrel length (how much more accurate??), muzzle breaks (any effect on accuracy??), and the free-floating handguards (just a preference??). I will use this for target shooting from 100yds on. I really like the small tactical M4 model because it looks so cool, but shooters that I know have been steering me away from it due to the stock and the smaller barrel. So now I am thinking of the 20" heavy barrel in V match or 20" XM15. Any information to steer me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Give us your spending limit on this new gun, and we'll be able to help a little better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Just don't buy an Olympic Arms, and then start Posting questions about why the piece of Crap doesn't function.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably  the most generic, best all-around gun would be the original, a standard 20".

Handled a fluted 20" this weekend and it was nice.

Beyond that, pick your flavor.  I've got everything from a 14.5" shorty AK to a 24" Vmatch.  On the 100 yard range I shoot most of the time, I chose the carbines.  Just more fun.

Even a tactical shoot I attend that has target from 25 to 500 meters, I still choose the shorty AK or my 16" carbine.

So, if you follow that logic ya might want to get the Group Purchase Rifle as your FIRST gun.  If it's your ONLY gun, I'd go for a fluted 20" Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
pinseeker, for all-around you can't beat a 20" A2 service rifle.  If you're out for high accuracy, Olympic arms has both standard chromemoly and optional SUM stainless barrels.  I like the optin of using ANY magazine in my AR, and Bushmaster can't offer me that, but that's me.  You don't want a muzzle brake or fluting unless you have money for non-functional frills (this is a .223 rifle).  I don't know what Mark's problem is, but I shoot sub-MOA with nary a problem from my Olys.  Bushmaster or Armalite are fine if you're sticking with GI mags as most do.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I was just in your situation and here is what I decided and why.

First, here is what I wanted to do with the rifle:
1.  Target Shooting 100-600 yards
2.  Home defense, backup ( already own several other guns )
3.  Plinking
4.  Varmint Hunting

Here is what I picked and why:

I picked the Bushmaster XM15 E2S 20" A3 as the rifle.  

1.  .223 caliber best suited all of the requirements above
2.  The variety of uses required a gun that was on the lighter end of the AR15 scale, so this ruled out the heavier target versions ( V match, and DCM rifle )
3.  Accuracy of a basic AR ( XM15 ) is 1-2" MOA at 100 yards.  I am not the best target shooter in the world and I can not shoot well enought to take advantage of the full accuracy of the rifle.  Basically 1-2" MOA is a damn accurate rifle.
4.  I chose a 20" bbl because I could still handle it easily but it gives the increased velocity needed to shoot out to longer ranges.  I would have gone with a longer bbl if the ALL I was going to do with the rifle was shoot matches.
5.  I wanted a platform from which I could upgrade the sighting system easily.  A2's have different sighting options, but not as many and the mounting systems are not as good as the A3.
6.  The AR15 is an upgradable rifle, if I ever grow into a more demanding shooter, I can upgrade the rifle as I see fit.  It seemed a little ridiculous to go out and get the lamborghini with all of the options when all I need right now is a chevy truck.  I can always build up the rifle later as I see fit.

Hope this helps you analyze what you want and the best choice for you.  

Also, I can say I am very pleased with the rifle I chose.  The bushmaster is one hell of a rifle!
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#6]
How about the Limited Edition Group Purchase Rifle (LEGP)?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the LEGP (see post at top of page)

Buy a 20 inch upper and swap back and forth as needed. [smash]
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Ditto to What AR308and223 said,

for the price of a Bushmaster you could buy the LEGP rifle and a complete upper assembly in another configuration.  Plus i would rather have a RRA receiver than a bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#9]
You've just bit the big one!  Welcome aboard.
The best part is that you can start with one and keep building from there.  The first one is the real dilemma as you've found out.
You like the carbine but want a target shooter, too.  Uh-oh.  What to do?
The AR15.com Special Edition would be a great choice for the money and your first rifle.
I am a Bushmaster fan, and would highly recommend one:
20" V-MATCH A3 fluted flat-top with shaved front sight and clean muzzle (no brake--it's easier to clean the crown).
Hogue forend and grip (with a sling swivel stud installed for bipod mounting).
A2 removable sight handle.
New flip-up front sight to fit over the gas block of the shaved front sight.
Redi-Mag extra magazine holder.
Harris Bipod 6-9" swivel model.
Ring/Scope setup?  Cheapest/Easiest is a Weaver See-thru ring set and a Tasco scope.  Otherwise, the sky is the limit here.

You get what your gut feeling tells you to get, and have a good time.  Weigh out your most likely shooting style and pick accordingly.  If it's Target, get the V-MATCH style with a scope and mounts to keep it simple and the costs down.
If you're going for the plinking Commando style, the AR15.com unit would be great.
Good Luck, you're going to need it.  Study hard and have a blast!
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I too am a Bushmaster fan.  However, If I had the money, or could get the money, I would get the LEGP.  It is a fantastic buy.  The lack of a chrome barrel or chamber is not a disadvantage unless you are really into abusing your rifle, or plan on spending an extended stay in the jungle.  Actually, an unplated bore can be more accurate.  Whatrever you decide on, welcome aboard.
[beer]
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What about making your own,or having a professional make it.I've got a sweet AR,made by my friend,who is an Army gunsmith.He knows EVERYTHING about AR's.My gun is an 16" M4 carbine,with a RRA lower,and the rest of the parts are DPMS (excellent) it has the large M4 handguards with double heat shields,HB barrel,A2 solid stock,Colt handle on the flattop,along with vortex muzzle break.Looks AWESOME,and shoots great.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
If your shooting past 300m I'd go with the 20".
Other wise the 16" is fine.If you want to use a scope I would get a flatop.Armalite has a  flatop that you can attach a front and rear sight or use a scope.They have a great warranty.Besides the fore end on there carbine is longer and looks better in my opinon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#13]
M15a2.....when you got the best you don`t need the rest.......[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#14]
In general terms.....

If your usage is going to be long range then:

longer barrel length  20"-24"

heavy barrel

free float handguard

no muzzle break

flat top receiver for scope mounting

and... depending on how much you want to spend there are other additions that can be made but not essential

If you know someone who can build one from a kit, you can get a kit which includes the above configuration at http://www.model1sales.com and several other places.  If not - Bushmaster is great quality.

Happy shooting!

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#15]
first you are looking in the right place. bush has a great rep, but you need to understand that chrome lined bores are not target bores. does not mean they do not shoot. start with a std a2/20". lots of ways to get there. do some reading and talking before spending the big bucks. does not take much to build one .
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
May I suggest this one....?
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?id=16#lastPost[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top