Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 235
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13516442/herbie-award-candidates-winners-2015-kirk-herbstreit-college-football

Looks like herbie is picking these teams for the playoff:

Ohio State Buckeyes
LSU Tigers
Oklahoma Sooners
Arizona State Sun Devils

Seems a bit odd picking three outliers for the playoffs.  I'm not sure which of the three I'm more baffled by.  He thinks USC is not good, which I suppose is reasonable.  OU has a new system with a new QB and lot of youngins.  LSU, I'm not even sure why, do they have a favorable schedule?
View Quote

Wait till Zhukov sees this list.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Nice, I think.

A long time ago when they were looking at building Traditions, my boss asked me why I didn't apply for the superintendent job. I told him that College Station was fun, but I just didn't think I wanted to be an adult there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, nothing is official or signed yet and even if it happens it won't be until 2018......but there is a very good chance we may be moving back to College Station.

So if anyone who posts in this thread wants to come catch a game, you'll have a place to stay.....in a few years.

Nice, I think.

A long time ago when they were looking at building Traditions, my boss asked me why I didn't apply for the superintendent job. I told him that College Station was fun, but I just didn't think I wanted to be an adult there.

We've honestly debated on it back and forth a bit.  Do we really want to be there, traffic sucks with students, housing prices are a little high, etc....

But there are a couple of factors for us.  One is I have family that lives in the area and it would be nice to see our kids grow up together and be close.  The other is we both grew up in (other) college towns, and really miss that environment.  

Either way if we wind up there like I'm hoping we will, the Novaman house will be open to any CFB thread poster who wants to catch a game and some tailgating.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Every year, we hope for at least a winning record and hopefully a bowl birth.  Being undersized on both lines and generally less talented than most other teams at skill positions, its fun to watch them surprise a few teams every year.  The triple option/wishbone offense is a blast to watch.

I've always been a fan of the service academies in general as well. Go Falcons!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Only one more week to go.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ha, I remember the Dark Days when we'd laugh if we beat OU.

But seriously, BU has been really tough at home the past 4 years or so.

eta - @TCU, @Ok St., @K-State in that order are the tricky ones
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta- and OU certainly isn't beating Baylor in Waco

I'd laugh if they did though.  

Hopefully we can upset ASU's apple cart early this year....though if they go on to run the PAC an early loss can be forgiven, as we saw last year.

I think Baylor gets distracted by "off-field" issues this year.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully we can upset ASU's apple cart early this year....though if they go on to run the PAC an early loss can be forgiven, as we saw last year.

You guys remove the tarp or something?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

http://springsbargains.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/air-force-falcons-logo.jpg

Every year, we hope for at least a winning record and hopefully a bowl birth.  Being undersized on both lines and generally less talented than most other teams at skill positions, its fun to watch them surprise a few teams every year.  The triple option/wishbone offense is a blast to watch.

View Quote

As long as they can beat the Broncos, I love Air Force.

Their fans are some of the least odious in the Mountain West Conference.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, nothing is official or signed yet and even if it happens it won't be until 2018......but there is a very good chance we may be moving back to College Station.

So if anyone who posts in this thread wants to come catch a game, you'll have a place to stay.....in a few years.

View Quote

I'm considering grad school.  Being able to buy a student sports pass and living in a town with college ladies may or may not be my biggest motivations.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Speaking of Baylor, Polupharmakos hasn't posted this year.  Checked and he hasn't been on Arf in a couple months.  Hope he's doing okay.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Hopefully the tarp is gone for good.

Did yall find any more championships during Kyle renovation?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Speaking of Baylor, Polupharmakos hasn't posted this year.  Checked and he hasn't been on Arf in a couple months.  Hope he's doing okay.
View Quote

Yah, noticed it too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yah, noticed it too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yah, noticed it too.

Sent an email to whatever email he uses for Arf.  

While we're talking about Baylor, history doesn't seem on their side this year for making it to the playoffs.  Saw this on reddit:

In his past four seasons at Baylor, Briles is 1-7 away from home against teams that finish with 9+ wins.  Baylor plays at Oklahoma State, TCU, and Kansas State this year.

TCU and K State were both 9 win teams last year, and I could see any of those 3 programs getting to 9+ this year.  Tough road to slog.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While we're talking about Baylor, history doesn't seem on their side this year for making it to the playoffs.  Saw this on reddit:

TCU and K State were both 9 win teams last year, and I could see any of those 3 programs getting to 9+ this year.  Tough road to slog.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yah, noticed it too.

In his past four seasons at Baylor, Briles is 1-7 away from home against teams that finish with 9+ wins.  Baylor plays at Oklahoma State, TCU, and Kansas State this year.

Yep. Capable of beating anyone sure, but I don't see it happening.

Stillwater in particular, for whatever reason, has some voodoo magic over Baylor that they need to figure out. I think either TCU gets us, they do, or both.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13516442/herbie-award-candidates-winners-2015-kirk-herbstreit-college-football

Looks like herbie is picking these teams for the playoff:

Ohio State Buckeyes
LSU Tigers
Oklahoma Sooners
Arizona State Sun Devils

Seems a bit odd picking three outliers for the playoffs.  I'm not sure which of the three I'm more baffled by.  He thinks USC is not good, which I suppose is reasonable.  OU has a new system with a new QB and lot of youngins.  LSU, I'm not even sure why, do they have a favorable schedule?
View Quote

As a LSU fan...

LOL WUT?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there an ARFCOM College Pick'em yet?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
In no particular order for this year.

TCU
tOSU

The last two are hard. I dont buy that Oregon will be just fine, Michigan State is going to beat them. USC is one of the most over-rated teams over the past 10 and 20 years. UCLA is returning an assload of starters. I'm going with USC for the Pac12. However, the Pac12 champ will probably have 3 losses. No one teams particularly stand out head and shoulders above the others. For the SEC, it's hard not to chose Bama because even when they empty their roster, they compete. Lots of churn in the SEC for starters, only like two decent QBs returning. I think it's wide open... I'm actually going with Arkansas. They were on the cusp of so many games last year, I think they crest that hill this year. Arkansas for the SEC with 2-3 losses. Gtech will take ACC, but they will probably have 4 losses so ACC wont be represented. With no clear domination from the SEC or Pac12, we could see two from.... Big 10.

I honestly think Michigan State would have the best chances as the second from the B10. Without a stand out from SEC, or Pac12; one of their spots could goto a second B10 team. I guess the big question is would the committee let that happen? I really doubt the "powers that be" would allow 2 conferences to be shut out. It would cost them too much money. I dont put it past them, with their moving goalposts of what counts and what doesnt bullshit from last season. So who knows.

I hope two conferences get shut out, because that will put an 8 bracket on warp speed.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://springsbargains.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/air-force-falcons-logo.jpg

View Quote

I work with half a dozen players from the Falcons.

For some odd reason, our flag football team wins the base championship every year.

-eta- Well, worked anyways. Only one currently left in the squdron, two others still on base. The rest who know where now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

TCU
tOSU

The last two are hard. I dont buy that Oregon will be just fine, Michigan State is going to beat them. USC is one of the most over-rated teams over the past 10 and 20 years. UCLA is returning an assload of starters. I'm going with USC for the Pac12. However, the Pac12 champ will probably have 3 losses. No one teams particularly stand out head and shoulders above the others. For the SEC, it's hard not to chose Bama because even when they empty their roster, they compete. Lots of churn in the SEC for starters, only like two decent QBs returning. I think it's wide open... I'm actually going with Arkansas. They were on the cusp of so many games last year, I think they crest that hill this year. Arkansas for the SEC with 2-3 losses. Gtech will take ACC, but they will probably have 4 losses so ACC wont be represented. With no clear domination from the SEC or Pac12, we could see two from.... Big 10.

I honestly think Michigan State would have the best chances as the second from the B10. Without a stand out from SEC, or Pac12; one of their spots could goto a second B10 team. I guess the big question is would the committee let that happen? I really doubt the "powers that be" would allow 2 conferences to be shut out. It would cost them too much money. I dont put it past them, with their moving goalposts of what counts and what doesnt bullshit from last season. So who knows.

I hope two conferences get shut out, because that will put an 8 bracket on warp speed.

View Quote

Won't happen, the final four will all be from different conferences.  Big 10, SEC, ACC and Pac-10/Notre Dame.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Illinois fires Tim Beckman one week before season amid external review

Just one week before their season opener, the Illinois Fighting Illini have fired football coach Tim Beckman amid allegations of influencing medical decisions and pressuring players to play hurt, athletic director Mike Thomas announced Friday

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13533196/tim-beckman-fired-coach-illinois-fighting-illini
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just one week before their season opener, the Illinois Fighting Illini have fired football coach Tim Beckman amid allegations of influencing medical decisions and pressuring players to play hurt, athletic director Mike Thomas announced Friday

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13533196/tim-beckman-fired-coach-illinois-fighting-illini
View Quote

Sooooooooooooo......then......take them out of my final four?

Who knows, sometimes a program rallies around such a "crisis" and it turns out better than worse. Sometimes a "leadership vacuum" can produce a leader from out of no where.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Brutal. Sounds like a really pissed off AD in CYA mode.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Who knows, sometimes a program rallies around such a "crisis" and it turns out better than worse. Sometimes a "leadership vacuum" can produce a leader from out of no where.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be better for the program if it's true.
Players will play hurt and do all the time but don't like being pressured by the coach to do so. When it gets to that point it's usually a significant injury and could get worse and end a career.
It's a coaches job to protect his players.
Screw that guy if that's the case.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

That program has been in alot of turmoil.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was 12-25 there the last 3 years.
Obviously on the hot seat and feeling a lot of pressure.
Still no excuse for what he was doing if true.
Reminds me of the team doctor James Woods played in Any Given Sunday.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have never been able to figure out why coaches think a guy who is so injured that he doesn't want to play, will perform better than an uninjured 2nd teamer. Especially when the starter presumably loves the game and should want to play every down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be better for the program if it's true.
Players will play hurt and do all the time but don't like being pressured by the coach to do so. When it gets to that point it's usually a significant injury and could get worse and end a career.
It's a coaches job to protect his players.
Screw that guy if that's the case.

I have never been able to figure out why coaches think a guy who is so injured that he doesn't want to play, will perform better than an uninjured 2nd teamer. Especially when the starter presumably loves the game and should want to play every down.

Only thing I can figure is a serious lack of depth if there is that much disparity in ability. I find it hard to believe there was that much between an injured player and a healthy backup.
I wonder if he was trying to get players on the field with concussions. That wouldn't necessarily undermine their ability to perform but would put them in serious jeopardy health wise.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Keeping in line with the perpetual, self-writing joke Baylor University has become, their would-be rapist football player posted a blog on campus safety a couple of weeks before he raped an 18 year-old virgin soccer player:

https://blogs.baylor.edu/samukwuachu/2013/09/27/campus-security/

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

They've been so bad, he was probably in "just one more reason and you're out" mode. He figured to not last the season anyway, based on the team's performance. Good fire. Gives them time to get somebody decent, before other "thin ice" coaches start getting canned in November. Good luck, Illinois. Gonna kick your but on October 24...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

TCU
tOSU

View Quote

Agree. 2 big10 teams in it would surely get things moving.

Due to talent and schedules msu and OSU will likely be heavily favored in every game.  They play in November in Columbus. They are in the same division so possibly 12-1 and 13-0 ? Conference champsat the end of the year.

If there are no upsets ...

If it all plays out like the pundits think, msu loses to #1 in a close game at home at gets to play Oregon while they are ranked high at home...if the other conference champs are 2 loss or 3 loss teams...

Things get real murky if OSU or msu win then lose the championship game at the end of the season. History shows this can work both ways but usually what happens at the end matters more. Some will want to punish the loss bit then you have to deal with possibly putting in the team that didn't even make it to the conference championship...or drop both from contention.

Or OSU loses to Hawaii and meh.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes dear, it probably does...  

This thread is going to be pretty dull this year without NAKED_GUNMAN's delusional BS being spewed every time we turn around.  Are there any comedians in the house that could take his place this year?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
This thread is going to be pretty dull this year without NAKED_GUNMAN's delusional BS being spewed every time we turn around.  Are there any comedians in the house that could take his place this year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't think anyone wants to follow in that guy's footsteps

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. I never put anybody on ignore, but I seriously considered it for him.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yah, noticed it too.

No worries, I'm still above ground and kicking.  Life is just a little
crazy right now.  Probably won't be able to watch as much football this
fall as before, so alas, I'll not be able to grace ya'll with quite as
much of my ever incisive and clear-sighted commentary this season.

But seriously, thanks for checking in.

And on a football note, I've been the Debbie Downer all summer whenever I meet another BU fan.  Everyone is all like "oh man, I'm totally looking forward to the TCU game this year," and I've been like, "that game is GOING TO SUCK."

I think the Big 12 is TCU's to lose this year.  I'd be happy with a 9 or 10 win season which includes a win in Stillwater.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No worries, I'm still above ground and kicking.  Life is just a little crazy right now.  Probably won't be able to watch as much football this fall as before, so alas, I'll not be able to grace ya'll with quite as much of my ever incisive and clear-sighted commentary this season.

But seriously, thanks for checking in.

View Quote

Glad you're doing well.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#40]
And be honest:  Who's watching College Gameday and plans on watching the North Dakota St-Montana game?  

It's been long enough since we got to enjoy CFB, I'll tune in even if its two teams I don't give a crap about.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Keeping in line with the perpetual, self-writing joke Baylor University has become, their would-be rapist football player posted a blog on campus safety a couple of weeks before he raped an 18 year-old virgin soccer player:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

On Friday, Sam Ukwuachu was sentenced to 10 years of felony probation and placed in the county jail for 180 days. He will also have to serve 400 hours of community service. Ukwuachu was facing up to 20 years in prison

That seems a strange sentence for rape.

Monk
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Ack. I'll be working on Thursday. 8pm EST to 8am EST.

ETA: I guess that went over everyone's head? It means I'm going to miss Michigan's first game of the year.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And be honest:  Who's watching College Gameday and plans on watching the North Dakota St-Montana game?  

It's been long enough since we got to enjoy CFB, I'll tune in even if its two teams I don't give a crap about.
View Quote
Umm ... me?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Watching the college season previews on all the ESPNs right now.
Missed college gameday this morning as I was getting some office work done early and forgot to record it.
Doubt I'll watch that game today as much as I would like too.
I need to get motivated today and get 4 months worth of Saturday crap done today as I'm going to be pretty worthless the next 4 months starting next weekend.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#45]
High school football on ESPN.  
Miami Central playing.....Dalvin Cooks little brother playing. Curious to see him play.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Miami Central playing.....Dalvin Cooks little brother playing. Curious to see him play.
View Quote

I was watching the intro to that game and the commentators said there were 16 kids playing with college commitments.
That's a bunch of quality players in 1 game.
Those 2 teams must play at a level of some division 2 college teams.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Missed college gameday this morning as I was getting some office work done early and forgot to record it.
I need to get motivated today and get 4 months worth of Saturday crap done today as I'm going to be pretty worthless the next 4 months starting next weekend.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed Desmond Howard predicting A&M to win the SEC.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heck yeah! Thanks for the reminder.
I forgot about FCS schools.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I was watching the intro to that game and the commentators said there were 16 kids playing with college commitments.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far, Miami is looking like a highschool team.

Still, there is some talent.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#50]
If FBS is like looking at Playboy, and FCS is like the Victoria's Secret catalog, this game is like paging through a Sears catalog lingerie section

I need Sept 5th to come already
Page / 235
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top